Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League Run 2016/17 Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fabvinny72

Glebee wrote: »
    Wait till next year when all our home games are at Wembley.:([/QUO
    exactly!! wembley just raises other teams performance!! not looking forward to next season if we are playing at wembley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Never get this. Other European teams use this as a platform to win a trophy. We always use it as an excuse.

I don't agree with the format of the competition and, in this day and age, the league is far more important than Europa League. It's the cynical, money-mad, new face of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I don't agree with the format of the competition and, in this day and age, the league is far more important than Europa League. It's the cynical, money-mad, new face of football.

I agree, going directly into the EL is a disaster with fixtures in far-flung kips, all on a Thursday night. However, it is the knock-out from here on in with two extra games possible in February, March and April and the final after the league season is over. I honestly don't see that as a major imposition given that we are only down for three league fixtures in February and March at the moment (Easter is obviously in April next year, we are currently scheduled for 6 (six!!) matches in April plus maybe EL and or FA Cup:eek::eek::eek:).

Obviously games could be re-scheduled for weather postponements and the FA Cup and we might have a cup run ourselves but, as things stand, we might be glad of an added interest come April without overly extending ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

at least we play wednesday and united play in Ukraine Thursday,heading over to this dead rubber game,should win,break our Wembley jinx.
    PS have a spare ticket,fella Spurs fan unable to travel.

I wonder if Poch might have been advised that there would be no negative feelings among the Board if we lost tonight.

As we have agreed to play the Europa games in Wembley, there will be a large cost to renting the stadium which most likely will not be covered by the attendance for a Europa League game.

Losing tonight would be a cost cutting exercise more than anything.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

It's been tough viewing, four miserable points. A good performance tonight and a few goals to boot, set us up nicely for Utd on Sunday.

Monaco outclassed us in both legs, dark horses. But Leverkusen are bang average, actually there shíte.

Not finishing runners up, píss poor. Finishing last, unthinkable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Win tonight, and actually go all out and try to win the Europa League i say. It'd be nice to actually win a trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Kiith wrote: »
    Win tonight, and actually go all out and try to win the Europa League i say. It'd be nice to actually win a trophy.

Not forgetting it is an alternative route into the CL next year too. Not that we will need it of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Kane and Son making statements about how important the win tonight is. Pochetino's team selection will be telling, with a game at Old Trafford to be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd definitely be fobbing this one off and not have those Thursday nights wrecking another season.

Almost a full first team out. Going for the win so.

I think Wembley can be good for us if Poch learns to use the width. We were far too narrow against Monaco and Bayer and we deserved to be beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

At least we don't have the curse of TV3 tonight,first one of our games their not showing :p

Fantastic ball by Winks, hope he can make it at Tottenham.

Get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

Lads Dier is an absolute liability at centre half.simple as that

Kane the one season wonder....

Hopefully this good early December form will continue for the rest of the month.

Should of won by more, that would of been my only complaint. Nice to see Alderweireld back.
    Winks had another good game.

N'Koudou is slowly finding his feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

tippspur wrote: »
    Hopefully this good early December form will continue for the rest of the month.

We did well this time last year when the games came thick and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Europa league match away tonight 6:00pm away to Gent and no match thread, surely not the most formidable place to go too... Completely winnable if we turn up. Who knows though

Sissoko/Janssen, other players that don't feature much. Horrified if any actual talent got injured. Haven't even made a dent in this tournament in recent years.

The only interest I'd have is watching Winks, if he starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I was going to start a match thread last night but I have no idea of the squad's or even what station we are on?

KAA Gent v Tottenham Hotspur UEFA Europa League Round of 32

1st Leg 18:00BT Sport 3 / BT Sport 3 HD

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Hope he puts out a strong team, I'd love us to win this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

#THFC: Lloris (C), Walker, Alderweireld, Dier, Davies, Wanyama, Dembele, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Kane. #COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭prodsc

Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Wimmer, Eriksen, Onomah, Nkoudou, Son.

Go for it tonight.

Strong line up,good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Sissoko will be out of steam running out of the tunnel :)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Advertisement