Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League Run 2016/17 Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

How have we gone from a team that stuffed this crowd 4-1 to being totally and utterly outplayed by them? Twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

oppiuy wrote: »
    Whats the point in qualifying for a competetion to be this **** in it...

manager has serious questions to answer. They should have won the group easily yet they lose 3 out of 5 so far. He is seriously overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

I haven't seen one player trying to motivate the others around him. No one cares...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭golfball37

We're just a poor side. The poor quality of English football masks our deficiencies. There's more subtlety in a sledgehammer than this Spurs team. Awful to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

So this is why we waited and prayed for champions league for so long???absolute gick and our manager needs to hold his hands up over a monumental **** up in his selection tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Peter File wrote: »
    manager has serious questions to answer. They should have won the group easily yet they lose 3 out of 5 so far. He is seriously overrated

Our Champs League performances have been poor but in fairness we're 4 points off top and unbeaten in league. Poch is doing OK

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Dave11 wrote: »
    Our Champs League performances have been poor but in fairness we're 4 points off top and unbeaten in league. Poch is doing OK

I think the wheels will come off at this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭4Ad

As a neutral that was a shocking performance by Spurs..no passion at all..
    Something strange going on !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Good job we didn't qualify, Imagine what a team Like Real madrid or barca would do to us.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

09_09_09 wrote: »
    I think the wheels will come off at this weekend.

Chelsea will have been resting all week. A very bad time to be playing them. Team has been very poor for the last 6/7 weeks. They got out of jail last Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Well if we play like that on Saturday we are ****ed. We had no passion and far too many players going through the motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

That was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭oppiuy

To be honest im giving up putting an further effort in to this club. What is the point in just hoping year on year to qualify and then when we do, not to take it seriously. The displays have been so poor that something must be up.

We wont win the league so whats the point in trying to qualify for CL again just to walk about for 6 games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

With Levy on board this is as good as it gets imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

golfball37 wrote: »
    We're just a poor side. The poor quality of English football masks our deficiencies. There's more subtlety in a sledgehammer than this Spurs team. Awful to watch
    We are when you pick 3 back up defenders in your back 4 , a 20 year old with 1 premier league start and alli at about 80 percent fit.the mind boggles

Keep them double training sessions up, Poch.

Keep changing the formation every game, Poch.

Keep picking a different 11 every game, Poch.

Looks like the Ropey League for us unless we play Lloris center forward and Danny Rose in Goal against CSKA.

3 Home defeats in Europe would be a first for us.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Seriously depressing. The high press, the organisation, the slick passing, its all gone. Hard to watch.

20 minutes to go and not 1 chance created. Absolutely abysmal. The changing the formation constantly cant be helping but seems to be much bigger problems

Keep them double training sessions up, Poch.

Keep changing the formation every game, Poch.

Keep picking a different 11 every game, Poch.

Looks like the Ropey League for us unless we play Lloris center forward and Danny Rose in Goal against CSKA.

3 Home defeats in Europe would be a first for us.

point one is worrying as they normally only fade in March. They look out of gas already this season

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

On paper it was a group that we definitely should have qualified for, but not with the way we've been playing this season. Leverkusen and Monaco are better then us at the moment. The team played badly overall, with some really poor performances (Alli and the entire defence in particular). I really question the decision to leave Verts out. Doesn't make sense to me. Son was largely ineffective, and Kane had very little to work with. Winks, bar his bad positioning for their 2nd goal, had a good game.

Disgusted that we are out, but i'm not going to go overboard and claim Poch is overrated or the season is over. It's ****ing ****, but we just have to move on from here and figure out how to get back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Levy Lover

Team selection tonight .. Poch has a lot to answer for.

Pathetic stuff tonight

• Advertisement

Would loved to have Siggy or Chadli on the pitch tonight.

Pity we sold em....quality lads both

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

golfball37 wrote: »

Not sure if that argument stacks up. Leicester qualified top of there group, gooners will probably win there group and city will qualify. It all adds up to us not being good enough.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Not sure if that argument stacks up. Leicester qualified top of there group, gooners will probably win there group and city will qualify. It all adds up to us not being good enough.

Leicester had a very easy group. Lets see how they get on in the knock out stage

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We're not playing good enough at the moment. That's obvious to everyone with our current form. That undefeated tag is almost a curse, and is papering over some major problems. They are problems that i think will be sorted though, and hopefully sorted soon.

I expect to lose that tag at the weekend though, so we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Peter File wrote: »
    Leicester had a very easy group. Lets see how they get on in the knock out stage

In fairness we had an easy group and i would wish leicester all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

1eo6am.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Leicester are (were) under no expectations in Europe and with the pressure off they played free and open football and fair play to them.

We on the other hand were expected to qualify for the knock out stages and played like headless chickens most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Don't know what to make of that team selection last night. As pointed out this was the biggest game of the season so far and no time for taking risks.

Maybe Poch was left with no alternative but to start with the line up he did but what I cannot fathom is why he didn't make changes after 30 or 45mins given how exposed we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Last night was screaming out for a wide player, with Monaco playing such a high line we needed width - but like the West Ham game we were set-up narrow, nothing worse than a narrow team selection!

For the second goal their player got up from left back and had all the time in the world because we had nobody taking responsibility on the right wing - you can be sure it wouldn't have happened if Lamela was in the team.

I heard Graeme Souness saying our issue is that we don't invest in the finished article but somebody seriously has to take the blame for spending £30m on Moussa Sissoko - is it Levy or Poch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Kiith wrote: »
    On paper it was a group that we definitely should have qualified for, but not with the way we've been playing this season. Leverkusen and Monaco are better then us at the moment. The team played badly overall, with some really poor performances (Alli and the entire defence in particular). I really question the decision to leave Verts out. Doesn't make sense to me. Son was largely ineffective, and Kane had very little to work with. Winks, bar his bad positioning for their 2nd goal, had a good game.

Disgusted that we are out, but i'm not going to go overboard and claim Poch is overrated or the season is over. It's ****ing ****, but we just have to move on from here and figure out how to get back on track.

Well said Kiith, there was a major lack of understanding of our selection by the TV3 panel, and here. You'd think Poch had sent out the reserves. For me, no Jan was the only strange one. I was delighted Eriksen was dropped/rested, I figure Trippy was probably told weeks ago to prepare for this match. People complaining Alli didn't look fit, but if he was left on the bench, they woulda said it was a disgrace he didn't start.

Advertisement