Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League Run 2016/17 Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Keep them double training sessions up, Poch.

Keep changing the formation every game, Poch.

Keep picking a different 11 every game, Poch.

Looks like the Ropey League for us unless we play Lloris center forward and Danny Rose in Goal against CSKA.

3 Home defeats in Europe would be a first for us.

What double training sessions?

We've used the same formation in every game this season except two.

You really want the same 11 in every game?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Last night was screaming out for a wide player, with Monaco playing such a high line we needed width - but like the West Ham game we were set-up narrow, nothing worse than a narrow team selection!

For the second goal their player got up from left back and had all the time in the world because we had nobody taking responsibility on the right wing - you can be sure it wouldn't have happened if Lamela was in the team.

I heard Graeme Souness saying our issue is that we don't invest in the finished article but somebody seriously has to take the blame for spending £30m on Moussa Sissoko - is it Levy or Poch?

Poch was made manager from head coach this summer if I remember correctly and he did mention that he has final say in the transfers. Is there any website which tell us about his all transfers as Spurs manager? He bought so many duds during his time.

Lloris kept this 2-1 somehow otherwise it would have been worse.

I heard Graeme Souness saying our issue is that we don't invest in the finished article but somebody seriously has to take the blame for spending £30m on Moussa Sissoko - is it Levy or Poch?

Graeme Souness is an idiot, finished article players join City, Barca, Real, United etc, not Spurs.

Sissoko has only cost £6m so far. It's highly unlikely we'll ever pay close to £30m for him.

Ormus wrote: »
    What double training sessions?

We've used the same formation in every game this season except two.

You really want the same 11 in every game?

Tottenham stars in high spirits between double training sessions as boss Mauricio Pochettino gets stuck in ahead of crucial Manchester United clash.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3526333/Tottenham-stars-high-spirits-double-training-sessions-boss-Mauricio-Pochettino-gets-stuck-ahead-crucial-Manchester-United-clash.html

I believe he is trying to say double training sessions are killing us because we are already out of gas it seems.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Tottenham stars in high spirits between double training sessions as boss Mauricio Pochettino gets stuck in ahead of crucial Manchester United clash.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3526333/Tottenham-stars-high-spirits-double-training-sessions-boss-Mauricio-Pochettino-gets-stuck-ahead-crucial-Manchester-United-clash.html

I believe he is trying to say double training sessions are killing us because we are already out of gas it seems.

Ok well firstly that's the daily mail, secondly that's last April, thirdly if he's worried about us running out of gas why does he want us to play the same 11 in every game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

One of the most disappointing things from last night was finding out that Alderwiereld will be out for the Chelsea match on Sunday.

Ok well firstly that's the daily mail, secondly that's last April, thirdly if he's worried about us running out of gas why does he want us to play the same 11 in every game?

I just wanted to pointed out what he is trying to say about double training sessions, Ormus.

I also believe we are still doing double training sessions. We rarely changed our starting 11s last year except full-backs so may be that's why he is suggesting this.

One of the most disappointing things from last night was finding out that Alderwiereld will be out for the Chelsea match on Sunday.

Mauricio Pochettino is confident that Toby Alderweireld’s knee injury is “not a big issue” and the Tottenham Hotspur manager even suggested the defender may be back in contention for selection next week.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/17/tottenham-manager-confident-toby-alderweirelds-injury-not-a-big-issue

Article from October and now we're in November.

I just wanted to pointed out what he is trying to say about double training sessions, Ormus.

I also believe we are still doing double training sessions. We rarely changed our starting 11s last year except full-backs so may be that's why he is suggesting this.

Sorry, don't mean to shoot the messenger, but the daily mail claiming we had one back in April doesn't really say 'case closed' to me. I read an interview with Poch a while back where he said they do a grueling pre-season but often don't do much training between games when the season is in full swing.

He was complaining about us changing the starting 11 too much. You're saying he doesn't change it enough. He really can't win.

One small positive last night is that Poch finally came out and laid down the gauntlet to Daniel Levy to go and get real quality.

Either a) this works and Levy splashes out for a few big names in January

or b) Levy doesn't like Poch's public outburst and a rift starts to develop between chairman and manager

• Advertisement

Mauricio Pochettino is confident that Toby Alderweireld’s knee injury is “not a big issue” and the Tottenham Hotspur manager even suggested the defender may be back in contention for selection next week.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/17/tottenham-manager-confident-toby-alderweirelds-injury-not-a-big-issue

Article from October and now we're in November.

Poch apologised for that last week, saying he knows he says this every week, but he really is close. He said it's taken longer than expected. Are we really gonna blame Poch for this? He only says what the medical staff tell him to. Lotta guesswork goes on with injuries.

One small positive last night is that Poch finally came out and laid down the gauntlet to Daniel Levy to go and get real quality.

Either a) this works and Levy splashes out for a few big names in January

or b) Levy doesn't like Poch's public outburst and a rift starts to develop between chairman and manager

Can't believe how often this gets rolled out as the answer to our problems. Big names won't join Spurs unless they're not wanted by big clubs.

Splashing the cash never ever works for Spurs. Eg record signings: Bentley, Soldado, Lamela, Rebrov, Bent, Paulinho. Take a long look at that list. Drink it in. Now imagine you're Levy, and it's your job to manage the finances of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

a few weeks ago,When we got got beaten by Bayern at Wembly on Wednesday.

We had a hard training session on Friday, where Deli Alli got injured and missed the following days match against Arsenal the following day.

Mason and Chadli complained these double sessions and were quickly shown the door

Pooch is spoofing about double training sessions

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Can't believe how often this gets rolled out as the answer to our problems. Big names won't join Spurs unless they're not wanted by big clubs.

I'm not in the 'Levy out' brigade.

Though the signing of Sissoko really really p*ssed me off. Whether or not we actually handed over £30m, the overall deal was worth £30m.

For that kind money we could have signed the likes of Julian Brandt from Leverkusen or Max Meyer from Schalke - not exactly big names but more reliable purchases.

So the money appears to be there but the decisions seem to be wrong.

a few weeks ago,When we got got beaten by Bayern at Wembly on Wednesday.

We had a hard training session on Friday, where Deli Alli got injured and missed the following days match against Arsenal the following day.

Mason and Chadli complained these double sessions and were quickly shown the door

Pooch is spoofing about double training sessions

Look I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you know this? How do you know the training session on Friday was hard, and how do you know that the reason Dele got injured was because it was hard?

Mason and Chadli were sold because they weren't regulars and wanted to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

I suppose when the initial anger subsides and the dust settled its easier to take stock.
    I belive in our manager and I believe from his press conference that he isn't happy with the squad and stated it publicly so us fans know that he is frustrated- that's my opinion.
    Furthermore I now believe he made a decision on the team to highlight our squad deficiencies.I just think he picked the wrong game to do it.
    Again I've no proof but just giving my opinion that the evidence seems to suggest that he is not in control of transfers and he is not happy.
    He wants to take us to the next level but players like trippier, davies, sissoko, Wimmer and Janssen are not going to take us there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I suppose when the initial anger subsides and the dust settled its easier to take stock.
    I belive in our manager and I believe from his press conference that he isn't happy with the squad and stated it publicly so us fans know that he is frustrated- that's my opinion.
    Furthermore I now believe he made a decision on the team to highlight our squad deficiencies.I just think he picked the wrong game to do it.
    Again I've no proof but just giving my opinion that the evidence seems to suggest that he is not in control of transfers and he is not happy.
    He wants to take us to the next level but players like trippier, davies, sissoko, Wimmer and Janssen are not going to take us there

same sh1t , different season. We start winning , and we are brilliant, we lose a few and suddenly we don't have the squad to compete!!! WTF...
    Pochettinos job is to win games for THFC, with whatever resources are available ! The club has been embaressed by our 'performances' in the CL.
    It just goes to show how bad the Premier League was last year, with all the big clubs having an off season.....
    Wont happen again! We'll do well to hold onto the few TopClass players we have in January !!
    To Dare is to Do ......... ? Do we believe that anymore ? TTID :(

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Lads,

Poch said it all for me in his interview... when making the point about the squad depth and quality he saud [I'm paraphrasing ] but he basically said his job is to "ensure we are in the CL when the new stadium is built"

There it is. HIs brief is to ensure we are in it (via top 4 finish or winning el)... not to win the CL or the EPL but you ensure we qualify for CL therefore the league and this weekend Chelsea fixture is more important.

Lads,

Poch said it all for me in his interview... when making the point about the squad depth and quality he saud [I'm paraphrasing ] but he basically said his job is to "ensure we are in the CL when the new stadium is built"

There it is. HIs brief is to ensure we are in it (via top 4 finish or winning el)... not to win the CL or the EPL but you ensure we qualify for CL therefore the league and this weekend Chelsea fixture is more important.

Why would that make the Chelsea fixture more important? The stadium won't be built in time for next season.

Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham need to add quality to the side in the coming transfer windows if they are to compete in the Champions League.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10668374/tottenham-need-to-add-quality-to-compete-says-mauricio-pochettino

The above bit is mind boggling. Earlier he was very happy with the squad and now he needs more players? Did he underestimate the Champions League or he ran out of excuses for ****'e team selection?

Mauricio Pochettino says Heung-Min Son's impact in the 4-0 win over Stoke proves Tottenham have the squad to compete on numerous fronts this season.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/10574215/mauricio-pochettino-happy-with-tottenhams-squad-depth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

greenspurs wrote: »
    same sh1t , different season. We start winning , and we are brilliant, we lose a few and suddenly we don't have the squad to compete!!! WTF...
    Pochettinos job is to win games for THFC, with whatever resources are available ! The club has been embaressed by our 'performances' in the CL.
    It just goes to show how bad the Premier League was last year, with all the big clubs having an off season.....
    Wont happen again! We'll do well to hold onto the few TopClass players we have in January !!
    To Dare is to Do ......... ? Do we believe that anymore ? TTID :(

This is the sort of thing I would say is "same sh1t, different season", this ridiculous hyperbole after a poor result.

You think there's the remotest chance the likes of Loris or Kane could be sold in January? Not a snowball's chance in hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Martin567 wrote: »
    This is the sort of thing I would say is "same sh1t, different season", this ridiculous hyperbole after a poor result.

You think there's the remotest chance the likes of Loris or Kane could be sold in January? Not a snowball's chance in hell!

I commend your optimism ....
    Why would Lloris stay? Best keeper in Europe , earning half (?) of what he could earn at any of the massive clubs, and a chance of winning something.....
    Kane would stay until summer.....
    We have been here before....
    After 'Arrys exploits in the CL , we all thought "YES... build on it and drive on...."
    And shur we all know what happened ... (Bale Modric VdV etc ...)
    At Spurs history always repeats itself ......
    Anyway, That's the Spurs way...... TTID

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's no chance of us losing any of out players in January. Poch would be out the door if Levy did that, and i wouldn't blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

greenspurs wrote: »
    I commend your optimism ....
    Why would Lloris stay? Best keeper in Europe , earning half (?) of what he could earn at any of the massive clubs, and a chance of winning something.....

You think I'm being optimistic thinking that no top players will be sold in January??!!!

I have no words.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Look I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you know this? How do you know the training session on Friday was hard, and how do you know that the reason Dele got injured was because it was hard?

Mason and Chadli were sold because they weren't regulars and wanted to move.

I have a friend who works for the club (Sports Science)

That how I know, he told me it was a very hard training session and Deli went into a hard tackle and crocked his knee.

I think Chadli was a better player than son.

Mason was one of best players last season, until he got injured scoring away Goal last minute against who I can't remember.

Poochs biggest fook up was selling Siggy

Just my opinions on these players in particular.

We just differ on our assessments, which is a good thing.

No hard feelings

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Wembley will continue to be the home of any further European games.

I wonder what the attendance will be like in the 2nd tier of Europe.

Hopefully after we put our U15s out against CSKA we might find a way out of Europe.

I know the EL provides us with a route back into the Champions League and all that though I think it's time we put Europe beind us for the season and focus on the league with a view to getting into the Top 4 and strengthening the squad next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Hopefully after we put our U15s out against CSKA we might find a way our of Europe.

I know the EL provides with a route back into the Champions League and all that though I think it's time we put Europe beind us for the season and focus on the league with a view to getting into the Top 4 and strengthening the squad next summer.

I hear what your saying, but the players need to get over the mental hurdle of playing there, and the fans deserve something to cheer about.

Sure we normally get eliminated once the knock out stages begins anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Wait till next year when all our home games are at Wembley.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

I know the EL provides us with a route back into the Champions League and all that though I think it's time we put Europe beind us for the season and focus on the league with a view to getting into the Top 4 and strengthening the squad next summer.

Never get this. Other European teams use this as a platform to win a trophy. We always use it as an excuse.

Advertisement