Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Superb: Classiest car of the last 10 years?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

jetsonx wrote: »
    Is the new Skoda Superb the classiest mid-priced saloon car of the last 10 years?

I passed it yesterday and had to look twice.

Mercedes shouts old, boring and grey.
    BMW shouts arrogant.
    Audi shouts "I'm arrogant but could'nt afford a BMW".
    Toyota shouts "I'm a civil servant".
    But the new Skoda Superb whispers dignified understated class. It would not look out of place in the gravel driveway of a French chateau or parked beside a super-yacht on a Marbella marina. What a class-looking car?

you should have gone to specsavers

(no offence)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

kona wrote: »
    Skoda shouts I'm boring and can't afford a vw.

Really?
    28235101013_57e8659009_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

TheBazman wrote: »
    Really?
    28235101013_57e8659009_z.jpg

Did you get it free with the R?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I have a new mondeo and far prefer the exterior looks to those of the Superb. I had a new superb for a month while waiting and I must say the centre console was far nicer on the superb. For looks though I'd have the mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The mondeo looks great from many angles, but it does look very narrow to me, and is more trying to be flashy than elegant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,685 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

bmwguy wrote: »
    How much? Nobody pays that for them cars. Although I have an uncle paid 50k for a 06 Mondeo after his 1979 Sierra finally packed it in. He will keep that forever though.

He must have been overcharged thats series money for a Mondeo.

What was it a Titanium triple x.

I know someone who paid 40k for an S-Max in 07 bit that was good value. It was a fine big car, good to drive and spacious with seven seats the build quality could have been better do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

AMKC wrote: »

I know someone who paid 40k for an S-Max in 07 bit that was good value. It was a fine big car, good to drive and spacious with seven seats the build quality could have been better do.

fully loaded vignale in the 210PS Automatic config is €51,510

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The mondeo looks great from many angles, but it does look very narrow to me, and is more trying to be flashy than elegant

I like it from the front but hate it from every other angle. Even the interior feels poor. But the fact it's comes with the 1.5D engine for the most part really* sets my pulse racing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

AMKC wrote: »

It's a titanium or zetec anyway, can't remember which. My cousin was in the dealership with him and he said every time the salesman offered an option he just said yes, yes, yes. It's 10 years old already I'd say he sees it as a new car he will want another 10 years out of it. He'll mind it like a baby like he did his Sierra getting 27 years out of it

It's a titanium or zetec anyway, can't remember which. My cousin was in the dealership with him and he said every time the salesman offered an option he just said yes, yes, yes. It's 10 years old already I'd say he sees it as a new car he will want another 10 years out of it. He'll mind it like a baby like he did his Sierra getting 27 years out of it
    I love owners like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I like it from the front but hate it from every other angle. Even the interior feels poor. But the fact it's comes with the 1.5D engine for the most part really* sets my pulse racing
    the 1.5 isn't as chronic as it sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

fully loaded vignale in the 210PS Automatic config is €51,510

10 years ago there was no Vignale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I'm not a fan of the angle from the back alright but everywhere else I like it. The 1.5 engine isn't as bad as it sounds to be honest, it's a big improvement on the old vag 1.9tdis that I drove

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

There was no Sierra in '79 either.

Wouldn't have been that hard to spend the guts of 50k on a Mondeo back then, V6 petrols were available and a few choice options would push things up a bit.

millington wrote: »
    10 years ago there was no Vignale

Bring back the Ghia I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

There was no Sierra in '79 either.

Wouldn't have been that hard to spend the guts of 50k on a Mondeo back then, V6 petrols were available and a few choice options would push things up a bit.

When did the Sierra come out? I could have sworn it was a 79 but reg plates were different back then so I could be wrong. Very early 80s anyway it was definitely well more than 20 years old when he got rid of it in 06.

His mondeo was a 2.0 diesel, not the 2.5 v6. Huge money but it's paid off 6 years ago now and he'll have 10 years at least with no payments on it

When did the Sierra come out? I could have sworn it was a 79 but reg plates were different back then so I could be wrong. Very early 80s anyway it was definitely well more than 20 years old when he got rid of it in 06.

His mondeo was a 2.0 diesel, not the 2.5 v6. Huge money but it's paid off 6 years ago now and he'll have 10 years at least with no payments on it
    1983 the Sierra was released

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Audi shouts "I'm arrogant but could'nt afford a BMW".
    If you're going to go down that road you could say the superb driver couldn't afford either of the above. There's always a more expensive better car, pretty stupid to say there's something wrong with going for the cheaper option.

But I do like the superb estate, not so much the saloon. Audi estates tend to do the best looking estates imho.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1983 the Sierra was released

Late 1982 iirc.

Late 1982 iirc.

I was thinking it was November 82 but customer deliveries was early 83. I could be wrong mind as I'm not a Ford nut and not resorting to wiki.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭josip

There were plenty of them at the county final between the Alley and the Martins in 83.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I bought a 12 superb a few months ago. I love the boot design! The default is saloon mode, and most of the time I use the boot, its to put in or take out a gym bag. But around once a week I need to open it in hatch back mode. I don't see any disadvantages to it to be honest.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    The saloon/hatch design of the MkII was dropped in the MkIII because it was too expensive to produce.

thats a shame, I assume its just a hatchback now?

kona wrote: »
    Skoda shouts I'm boring and can't afford a vw.
    I wouldn't agree with you now, I kinda would have a few months ago. My dad has had octavias since 2000, and they were usually the base spec, which are very boring, although very reliable. It put me off skodas, seeing them as a dad car, or a "taxi" car. I was kinda forced to change this june as my current car was giving some trouble. I looked at a few of the big names Passat/Mondeo/6/i40 and optima. Then spotted an elegance superb with very low milage for a very good price. When comparing prices to second hand passats, I would have been able to get a comfort line passat, with double the milage for the same money, it was a no-brainer for me. I could have easily have afforded the passat, but with a lot less toys (no sat nav, touch screen radio, heated leather seats....)

The superb is a great car imo, but the new model looks very nice, but is very expensive compared to the passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

grogi wrote: »
    It happened once before - exactly the case with SuperB B5.

They were not allowed to release an estate, although it was already very advanced in design. It would push Passat into oblivion on the German market.

Was the B5 Superb not just a Chinese LWB B5 Passat with a Skoda nose? It wasn't exactly a subversive Skoda operation that VW knew nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

id say its very deliberate, as to look at the car it doesn't appear to be a hatchback. If they went for hatchback only, then they probably would have redesigned the rear of the car to look very different, i.e. like a hatchback.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

This is my theory

They wanted to keep the Superb selling point - massive legroom.

It seems though that the wheelbase could not be increased more on that platform - it went from ~2710mm in Passat B6/B7 to 2768 in the Superb (but still shorter wheelbase than Mk1). So the designers decided to move the rear seats alone, pushing it back between the wheel arches.

That caused the roofline to go back as well, past the typical points above the wheels, causing the whole car to look... Weird... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I bought a 12 superb a few months ago. I love the boot design! The default is saloon mode, and most of the time I use the boot, its to put in or take out a gym bag. But around once a week I need to open it in hatch back mode. I don't see any disadvantages to it to be honest.

thats a shame, I assume its just a hatchback now?

I wouldn't agree with you now, I kinda would have a few months ago. My dad has had octavias since 2000, and they were usually the base spec, which are very boring, although very reliable. It put me off skodas, seeing them as a dad car, or a "taxi" car. I was kinda forced to change this june as my current car was giving some trouble. I looked at a few of the big names Passat/Mondeo/6/i40 and optima. Then spotted an elegance superb with very low milage for a very good price. When comparing prices to second hand passats, I would have been able to get a comfort line passat, with double the milage for the same money, it was a no-brainer for me. I could have easily have afforded the passat, but with a lot less toys (no sat nav, touch screen radio, heated leather seats....)

The superb is a great car imo, but the new model looks very nice, but is very expensive compared to the passat.

I was being smart with that comment after reading the OP.

Classiest car in the last ten years.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Superb has too much metal for it wheels, not the only car guilty of this, but unless it has 18's it looks silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Superb has too much metal for it wheels, not the only car guilty of this, but unless it has 18's it looks silly.
    Sometimes I think the same. My father has one and it just sits wrong.

The mother has an A6 which is in every way classier, quieter, smoother and better built with far better materials and more spec than the Skoda. It's no comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,685 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Must be a Titanium x unless he got a Zetec and then loads of extras.

I like Fords but unless its an S-Max, Galaxy or one of the fast ones like the RS Focus or Mustang I think that kind of money is just to much to pay for one.

Advertisement