Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Superb: Classiest car of the last 10 years?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

grogi wrote: »
    Agreed on 5-er GT.

But have you seen 4-er GC (F36) or 6-er GC (F06)? IMHO miles ahead in design department of anything else...

I see you've played knifey spoony before... I counter with the X6.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No mention of the Ford Mondeo.....for Shame!!

IMG_20150810_164153_zpsoagweomw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I've put up 250k kms on my 2011 superb estate 1.6tdi and I would disagree with the OP about it being the classiest car of the last 10 years.

But what it is; is a comfortable, affordable workhorse.

I've taken it to the south of france a couple of times, spent 10 hour days in it and it has yet to let me down. Outside of the usual consumables the only expense has been a replacement water pump after a very slight leak at about 180k. Not a even a bulb has had to be replaced.

I don't look at it as something I look forward to driving; but with the mileage I am doing I need something I can rely on, something that will do it as cheaply as possible and is comfortable to sit in. All the toys inside (auto parking, sat-nav, DVD, memory heated seats, Bluetooth) were more or less standard and in 2011 were just mega bucks to select as options from other cars I looked at around the time (Passat, V70, Insigina etc)

Fingers crossed i'll get another 200k odd out of it before I decide to look at something else as the daily driver

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

And the Skoda with its vag parts bin is? C6 wins hands down

Well Skoda was the value range for VAG, so you don't really get to knock it for using common parts. I really like the C6 but they were clearly trying to push it a bit upmarket and in that context cheapo materials from the 407 were undermining what they were up to. It wasn't as bad as the way Lexus used to use Toyota switchgear but it just wasn't a great idea.

As for the lack of superb estates, well we've one and there's three other superb estates parked in our car park in work. I see them everywhere. Maybe it's a cork thing (and I was mindful of this on the way to work this morning) but there's an awful lot estates on the road around here.

I actually think it's a decent looking car as estate, certainly not good looking or beautiful but it's grand in that old merc/Volvo estate type utilitarianess. It's rotten as a hatch, the proportions are all wrong in it. New car is really nice, much prefer it the Passat - which I think is one of the dullest cars on the road. There's no value in it now though. The equivalent of ours is now over 55 grand new. Balls to that.

I actually think it's a decent looking car as estate, certainly not good looking or beautiful but it's grand in that old merc/Volvo estate type utilitarianess. It's rotten as a hatch, the proportions are all wrong in it. New car is really nice, much prefer it the Passat - which I think is one of the dullest cars on the road. There's no value in it now though. The equivalent of ours is now over 55 grand new. Balls to that.

+1 on each of these statements!

I think the skoda boys will be brought in for a serious sit down before the next model - they are making the VW equivalents look extremely dull and bland. Yeah, the VW range will always be understated, but skodas job was to do an uglified cheaper version of that understatement, Seat were supposed to cars with a bit of styling that didn't challenge the core brand at all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

+1 on each of these statements!

I think the skoda boys will be brought in for a serious sit down before the next model - they are making the VW equivalents look extremely dull and bland. Yeah, the VW range will always be understated, but skodas job was to do an uglified cheaper version of that understatement, Seat were supposed to cars with a bit of styling that didn't challenge the core brand at all ;)

It happened once before - exactly the case with SuperB B5.

They were not allowed to release an estate, although it was already very advanced in design. It would push Passat into oblivion on the German market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'd think an Alfa 159 is the classiest looking regular car in the past 10 years.

The new Superb does look well but I don't bend my head around to see one. After 10 years I still do that with a 159

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

jetsonx wrote: »
    Is the new Skoda Superb the classiest mid-priced saloon car of the last 10 years?

I passed it yesterday and had to look twice.

Mercedes shouts old, boring and grey.
    BMW shouts arrogant.
    Audi shouts "I'm arrogant but could'nt afford a BMW".
    Toyota shouts "I'm a civil servant".
    But the new Skoda Superb whispers dignified understated class. It would not look out of place in the gravel driveway of a French chateau or parked beside a super-yacht on a Marbella marina. What a class-looking car?

You are having a laugh, right? On a wind up?

I aint a BMW driver but it doesnt shout arrogant to me. Regarding the Audi statement you made me chuckle alright. The Toyota comment is plain daft in my experience.

In my opinion the one car that can ooze class in he category & you didnt mention it - the Honda Accord.

And my last question, have you driven a Superb? In my opinion not as nice to drive as it is to look at and drivability has to be key for anyone doing decent mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭josip

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Have a 2.0TDi (blue).
    It's sharp enough in a straight line, but don't be fooled that it comes close to what (I imagine) the vRS is like.
    Anything other than straight and it's like trying to drive a French sofa towing a trailer of agitated walruses.
    They've downgraded the Mk II IRS (which I thought more than adequate on the twisties) to a torsion beam in the MK III.
    I think the vRS retains the IRS and probably is set up better to use the power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

josip wrote: »
    Have a 2.0TDi (blue).
    It's sharp enough in a straight line, but don't be fooled that it comes close to what (I imagine) the vRS is like.
    Anything other than straight and it's like trying to drive a French sofa towing a trailer of agitated walruses.
    They've downgraded the Mk II IRS (which I thought more than adequate on the twisties) to a torsion beam in the MK III.
    I think the vRS retains the IRS and probably is set up better to use the power.

I think his point is the diesels should be badged differently to the petrol counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

New superb is lovely. Would make a brilliant taxi or rep's car, and hopefully knocks the likes of the avensis out of favour with family car buyers. However..

Unless fully spec'd it isn't playing in the same league as the bmw/merc/audi club. It might tempt price conscious 3 series buyers who want to feel like executives , but it is not an executive car. With engines topping out at a 2 litre diesel here, and 2 litre petrol in the UK, and finance deals that mean anyone on the average industrial can have one , you won't see anybody new or old money springing over.

That said, an L&K 3.5 V6 DSG 4x4 (last gen) , fully loaded , I would happily buy if the price was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

BMW shouts arrogant.
    Audi & BMW are more or less the same price so how could this be any way relevant?

Comparing totally different classes of cars to be honest! New Superb is brilliant and I'd buy it over any of it's competitors, but no way would I pass an A6, 5 series, E Class or XF for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Is the new Skoda Superb the classiest mid-priced saloon car of the last 10 years?

I passed it yesterday and had to look twice.

Mercedes shouts old, boring and grey.
    BMW shouts arrogant.
    Toyota shouts "I'm a civil servant".
    But the new Skoda Superb whispers dignified understated class. It would not look out of place in the gravel driveway of a French chateau or parked beside a super-yacht on a Marbella marina. What a class-looking car?

Skoda shouts I'm boring and can't afford a vw.

kona wrote: »
    Skoda shouts I'm boring and can't afford a vw.
    I't take this any day over your average equivalent VW tbh!
    Lovely one in Limerick.
    15856418760_9967810c85.jpg

I't take this any day over your average equivalent VW tbh!
    Lovely one in Limerick.
    15856418760_9967810c85.jpg

Being honest here, I had to laugh at the op.
    Especially the warped descriptions of the different owners.

Skoda , vw and Toyota all have a purpose for sure.
    But classy or driving machines they are not ( perhaps for a few models which are rare enough).

To go bashing other run of the mill cars for being common or not classy with a example of a Skoda superb is quite astonishing.

I'm actually astounded somebody could even start a thread on it.

For the price these cars are new I'd go out and buy a proper machine second hand.

For the price these cars are new I'd go out and buy a proper machine second hand.
    maxresdefault.jpg

ba_barabus wrote: »
    maxresdefault.jpg

Diesel laaaad? Must be some pull out of her. Chaaaape tax. Real head turner.

Diesel laaaad? Must be some pull out of her. Chaaaape tax. Real head turner.

Proper Machine lad. Just run it on red daysul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭ofcork

Id say the mercedes CLS both generations are the standouts for me.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Id say the mercedes CLS both generations are the standouts for me.

I think the original is dating very poorly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I think the original is dating very poorly

Classy if your a pimp or coke dealer.😉
    Otherwise im going to say the new mondeo, all it needs is a Aston or jag badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Current cls is fantastic in a good spec.
    The funny thing is that the 350 diesel appears to be a similar price second hand to the 250. The tax is hardly excessive either on the 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I have an 09 Superb. 2.0 TDI. 320k kms and as sweet as a nut. I also had a 141 L&K Superb dog. Hated it..pos cost 36900. The new L&K is in excess of 44k. I think Skoda are pricing themselves out of their market. While they are not a lovely looking car...they are a fine workhorse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

What is the price difference, like for like, against a passat these days? I hazard a guess it's not much, and the passat would also be dearer than most of its rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

bmwguy wrote: »
    What is the price difference, like for like, against a passat these days? I hazard a guess it's not much, and the passat would also be dearer than most of its rivals.

I think they are more or less the same price, probably abit more spec at any given price point on the skoda.

mickdw wrote: »
    I think they are more or less the same price, probably abit more spec at any given price point on the skoda.

So, like for like it's probably about 1-2k. They are not really the budget option anymore but they are the equal of their rivals so have to charge similar I suppose. Decent value cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

fully loaded passat 2.0 TDI, 4x4, 7 speed DSG is 58760
    fully loaded superb 2.0 TDI , 4x4, 7 Speed DSG is 57433 .

very little in it, id have the passat.

With that little in it the pasaat would be cheaper over 3years than the skoda.. less depreciation probably. For all the 1% of sales a passat/superb of that spec would account for.

• Advertisement

How much? Nobody pays that for them cars. Although I have an uncle paid 50k for a 06 Mondeo after his 1979 Sierra finally packed it in. He will keep that forever though.

Advertisement