Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Superb: Classiest car of the last 10 years?

Options
  • 08-08-2016 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Is the new Skoda Superb the classiest mid-priced saloon car of the last 10 years?

I passed it yesterday and had to look twice.

Mercedes shouts old, boring and grey.
    BMW shouts arrogant.
    Audi shouts "I'm arrogant but could'nt afford a BMW".
    Toyota shouts "I'm a civil servant".
    But the new Skoda Superb whispers dignified understated class. It would not look out of place in the gravel driveway of a French chateau or parked beside a super-yacht on a Marbella marina. What a class-looking car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Take the badge out of the equation and don't overlook entire brands because of a lazy stereotype.

You're comparing one particular skoda model. They make a lot of awful looking Shiite too.

The superb is nice, but I think the perceived underdog status appeals to you.
    Which is crazy really given how Skoda is just a VW brand .
    VW I.e the cleverest marketeers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

jetsonx wrote: »
    Is the new Skoda Superb the classiest mid-priced saloon car of the last 10 years?

I passed it yesterday and had to look twice.

Mercedes shouts old, boring and grey.
    BMW shouts arrogant.
    Audi shouts "I'm arrogant but could'nt afford a BMW".
    Toyota shouts "I'm a civil servant".
    But the new Skoda Superb whispers dignified understated class. It would not look out of place in the gravel driveway of a French chateau or parked beside a super-yacht on a Marbella marina. What a class-looking car?

I think your ideas re mercedes audi and bmw are outdated and childish.
    Mercedes at the minute have their strongest lineup for many years with very desirable cars in each segment and for all ages.
    I don't see Audi as being cheaper than bmw either.
    The latest superb looks good in top spec and to be honest it imo seems to be the first skoda that doesn't appear to have been made ugly on purpose to keep it under the vw range.
    I'd take a passat instead though at any price point.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

VW have clever marketeers indeed, but they'd be crying into their Weissbier to see someone suggest that the Skoda variant (a "value" marque within their stable) is being referred to as "classiest" against their "premium" marques - Audi and to a lesser extent VW.

p.s. The older model saloon has a dropped ass and there's question marks about some of the Tdi engines. The estates look better imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Funny enough had a drive in one today for work, one of the reps cars. It's the new one and its very nice to look at and sit in, no driving dynamics though and it was the 1.6 which was pretty gutless, perhaps a more powerful engine would improve it but it was very sluggish, really had to work it. Well specced though and nicely put together.

The one it replaced was so out of proportion it looks terrible, just too long at the rear doors. It's an ugly car and that rules it out from being anything near classy.

I remember being in the original when it just came out about 10 years ago and was very impressed at the time but it has aged terribly.

It is what it is, well up there in its segment and its no longer the underdog. I'd have Mazda 6 over it any day in the same price range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

bmwguy wrote: »
    The one it replaced was so out of proportion it looks terrible, just too long at the rear doors. It's an ugly car and that rules it out from being anything near classy.

The estates are way way better in the models with the jarringly disproportionate back doors. All 5 of them that were sold here.

The estates are way way better in the models with the jarringly disproportionate back doors. All 5 of them that were sold here.

Don't think I ever saw one to be honest, but I have heard that said many times. Us Irish don't really do estates though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I had one of the new Superbs for a month while I was waiting on my Mondeo. The Superb is a lovely car, nicest Skoda I've driven and it really does look classy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

Funny enough had a drive in one today for work, one of the reps cars. It's the new one and its very nice to look at and sit in, no driving dynamics though and it was the 1.6 which was pretty gutless, perhaps a more powerful engine would improve it but it was very sluggish, really had to work it. Well specced though and nicely put together.

I remember being in the original when it just came out about 10 years ago and was very impressed at the time but it has aged terribly.

It is what it is, well up there in its segment and its no longer the underdog. I'd have Mazda 6 over it any day in the same price range.
    What diesel Mazda 6 is any good these days,have they got it right at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Don't think I ever saw one to be honest, but I have heard that said many times. Us Irish don't really do estates though

I tend see more estates than I do hatch/saloon.

• Advertisement

bigroad wrote: »
    What diesel Mazda 6 is any good these days,have they got it right at last.

I know a few with them and they are happy with them. I'd get petrol if I was getting one anyway, as with any of these cars, don't understand the obsession with diesel unless mileage warrants it.

I was down baltimore in West cork recently, which would attract a pretty skewed demographic. Estates everywhere. Never saw 2 current model golf estates in the one place ever. You wouldn't see two of them in a dealers I'd say.

Apropos of nothing really I suppose. But the "isn't the superb superb under very specific criteria" debate wasn't really grabbing me like.

Seeing a good few recent model octavia estates around... very tasty actually especially the "monster green" vrs around limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Has the new model got the hatchback/saloon boot thing? It is on the 10/11 model. That has to be the most clever addition to a car I've seen in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Classiest car of the past 10 years is the Citroen C6. /thread

citroenc6wallpapers-l-91e4acdee3c6bb78.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

p.s. The older model saloon has a dropped ass and there's question marks about some of the Tdi engines. The estates look better imho.

The Superb Mk2 was a hatchback, not a saloon. A unique one, but still a hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The saloon/hatch design of the MkII was dropped in the MkIII because it was too expensive to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Has the new model got the hatchback/saloon boot thing? It is on the 10/11 model. That has to be the most clever addition to a car I've seen in ages.

No the new one does not have it. It just has a normal boot the mechanism was deemed to complicated and expensive to keep doing I think something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Red Kev wrote: »
    Classiest car of the past 10 years is the Citroen C6. /thread

citroenc6wallpapers-l-91e4acdee3c6bb78.jpg

Not sure if it was really classy it had too many ordinary Peugeot parts inside like the dash parts of it were basically the same as what was in a 407 but it was definitely unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

A friend has a 09 Superb with the 1.8 turbo petrol and DSG 7 speed auto.. it's well able to move, and smooth as silk. What bugs me about it is the steering wheel oddly..

octavia_combi_fl_15a.jpg

My vote goes to the Audi A7... every time one passes me on the motorway I say to myself "I'd buy one of these if I had the moneys".. and I'm no VAG fanboi

LN15FTC3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

AMKC wrote: »
    Not sure if it was really classy it had too many ordinary Peugeot parts inside like the dash parts of it were basically the same as what was in a 407 but it was definitely unique.

And the Skoda with its vag parts bin is? C6 wins hands down

Audi A7 is how you do a proper classy liftback/fastback saloon. And yeah, I'm no fanboi either. In comparison, the BMW 5GT is like some exec left their child loose with crayons and actually decided to build what they drew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Can we have a Poll ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I think they look like a oversized barge to be honest. Never thought classy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

delete this post sorry should be new thread

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Superb interior doesn't match exterior which in latest gen, is worthy of the name. It's a specific let-down, but for me the steering wheel would annoy the hell out of me every time I sat behind it. Tonka Toy clunky, looks about a decade behind the times, for the most intimate and tactile of driver interfaces. It looks like the designers either ran out of budget and afterthought it, or had a specific brief: devalue the interior please. Presume the latter.

Saw a white Octavia RS Combi in Limerick yesterday; 15 reg, on black alloys.

If I were 20 years younger I could have pole vaulted home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Audi A7 is how you do a proper classy liftback/fastback saloon. And yeah, I'm no fanboi either. In comparison, the BMW 5GT is like some exec left their child loose with crayons and actually decided to build what they drew.

Agreed on 5-er GT.

But have you seen 4-er GC (F36) or 6-er GC (F06)? IMHO miles ahead in design department of anything else...

Advertisement