Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrow/The Flash/Legends of Tomorrow/Supergirl SUPERTHREAD [***SPOILERS - The CW***]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

sky88 wrote: »
    honestly feel nora being more unbearable has made Iris feel such a better character

I really like Nora - the happy go lucky, cheery "shway" thing is how Flash is in the animated stuff. Makes me wish Barry wasn't so gloomy all the time.]

EDIT: I don't mean the Flash is as cheery as Nora - I mean he just enjoys the job and is fun.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jimmy Olsen is in the exact same boat on Supergirl: he's a main character, but the writers clearly struggle knowing what to do with him. Lena kinda floated in that area too, but season 4 has actually made her something of a standout character (particularly once
    Lex turns up
    ).

I kinda sympathise with the writers here & suspect it's often not their fault: the studio and shows' contracts are the leaders here, effectively dictating the character sandbox the writers can play with. Iris & Olsen had their roles back in season 1 - basically romantic bullseyes - and removed of that they're just kinda ... there.

Olsen was a very pathetic character in season 1. Desperately craving association with superheroes - I General Lane even said that in an episode. Becoming Guardian made him worse but the Catco job (and just being there as you say) suits hi'm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Olsen was a very pathetic character in season 1. Desperately craving association with superheroes - I General Lane even said that in an episode. Becoming Guardian made him worse but the Catco job (and just being there as you say) suits hi'm.

He wasn't a better character in season 1, just that he at least served a dramatic purpose - the Ross to Supergirl's Rachel, as it were. The complete absence of romantic chemistry probably helped that eventual entanglement went nowhere. He's suited in CatCo, but even that part of Supergirl has become superfluous, lip service for Nia to inevitably become another superhero.

Actually, I think that's it: the CW shows oddly have a superhero problem. Can't speak for Arrow I guess, but Supergirl / Flash can't just have non superhero characters, everyone has to be a vigilante, or adjacent.

pixelburp wrote: »
    He wasn't a better character in season 1, just that he at least served a dramatic purpose - the Ross to Supergirl's Rachel, as it were. The complete absence of romantic chemistry probably helped that eventual entanglement went nowhere. He's suited in CatCo, but even that part of Supergirl has become superfluous, lip service for Nia to inevitably become another superhero.

Actually, I think that's it: the CW shows oddly have a superhero problem. Can't speak for Arrow I guess, but Supergirl / Flash can't just have non superhero characters, everyone has to be a vigilante, or adjacent.

The Flash is indeed overstuffed with superheroes in the main characters.

I don't see that in Supergirl though. They are there but J'onn, Mon-El, Guardian, Brainiac and Imra are used either very sparingly or spend the majority of time in human form. Which is quite annoying - you have a bunch of powered people who only give Kara occasional back up but if they actually did more they'd beat the villain.

In The Flash there is an abundance of powered people always there and on he mission but never get the job done.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The CW president Mark Pedowitz announced on Thursday at the network’s Upfront presentation that the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” team-up event will be told in five parts over two quarters — meaning, it will start in December and then conclude early in the new year, following the midseason break.
    TVLine has since confirmed with sources that the five shows taking part in the crossover will be Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Batwoman (which premieres this fall) and Legends. Three of the five parts will air in December, and the other two — including an episode of Legends, which this year premieres at midseason — will follow in early 2020. (It is unclear at this time what the second show airing its crossover episode in the new year will be.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The CW president Mark Pedowitz announced on Thursday at the network’s Upfront presentation that the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” team-up event will be told in five parts over two quarters — meaning, it will start in December and then conclude early in the new year, following the midseason break.
    TVLine has since confirmed with sources that the five shows taking part in the crossover will be Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Batwoman (which premieres this fall) and Legends. Three of the five parts will air in December, and the other two — including an episode of Legends, which this year premieres at midseason — will follow in early 2020. (It is unclear at this time what the second show airing its crossover episode in the new year will be.)

wonder if the last episode will be the last arrow episode to really give it a big build up and send off

sky88 wrote: »
    wonder if the last episode will be the last arrow episode to really give it a big build up and send off

Well arrow is only going to have 10 episodes and episode 9 is usually the crossover episode so yeah it could be the last episode of the crossover. Still think the crisis will lead to Earth 1 merging with Earth 38 (Supergirl)

No spoilers for upcoming events please as I’m not even at the halfway point in the latest seasons.

Have the heroes in The Flash ever acknowledged that they are responsible for crisis ? And these they are responsible for every meta related death? They don’t seem to dwell on the guilt or be held responsible

Barry trapped Reverse Flash in the past leading to the creation of metas
    Barry opened the doorway for Zoom to come to Earth 1
    Barry creates Savitar and a new bunch of metas
    The Team unleashed new meta threats bringing Barry out of the Speedforce
    Now Nora has caused chaos

And Supergirl and the DEO take zero responsibility for all the lies and destruction they leave in their wake

Yet Oliver Queen is hunted and repeatedly punished by the law and himself and he hasn’t caused a fraction of the damage. He stops bad guys and the others create them with exception of Prometheus. Who was wacko anyway.

This season on the The Flash and Supergirl we have villains who I actually think have the correct intent just the wrong method. What I cannot figure out is are both sets of writers actually going to have the heroes acknowledge they are responsible for a lot of devastation or are they just going to to paint Cicada and Ben Lockwood as being in the wrong just because they are persuasive against people who are “different”.

That certainly seems the case on Supergirl where Kara does act overly politically correct and yet Lockwood, when he isn’t killing aliens, is voice of actual reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

No spoilers for upcoming events please as I’m not even at the halfway point in the latest seasons.

Have the heroes in The Flash ever acknowledged that they are responsible for crisis ? And these they are responsible for every meta related death? They don’t seem to dwell on the guilt or be held responsible

Barry trapped Reverse Flash in the past leading to the creation of metas
    Barry opened the doorway for Zoom to come to Earth 1
    Barry creates Savitar and a new bunch of metas
    The Team unleashed new meta threats bringing Barry out of the Speedforce
    Now Nora has caused chaos

And Supergirl and the DEO take zero responsibility for all the lies and destruction they leave in their wake

Yet Oliver Queen is hunted and repeatedly punished by the law and himself and he hasn’t caused a fraction of the damage. He stops bad guys and the others create them with exception of Prometheus. Who was wacko anyway.

This season on the The Flash and Supergirl we have villains who I actually think have the correct intent just the wrong method. What I cannot figure out is are both sets of writers actually going to have the heroes acknowledge they are responsible for a lot of devastation or are they just going to to paint Cicada and Ben Lockwood as being in the wrong just because they are persuasive against people who are “different”.

That certainly seems the case on Supergirl where Kara does act overly politically correct and yet Lockwood, when he isn’t killing aliens, is voice of actual reason.

I actually think the Flash over cares what has happened. Did Reverse Flash not trap himself and the create the partical accelerator explosion to create meta humans not sure how you can blame Barry. Also whatever those meta humans decide to use there powers for is on them not Barry. Also given what Cisco and Kathlan are creating in the episode it shows they care.

Not sure about supergirl as do not watch it much but she also seems to care very much and does the right thing

I actually think the Flash over cares what has happened. Did Reverse Flash not trap himself and the create the partical accelerator explosion to create meta humans not sure how you can blame Barry. Also whatever those meta humans decide to use there powers for is on them not Barry. Also given what Cisco and Kathlan are creating in the episode it shows they care.

Not sure about supergirl as do not watch it much but she also seems to care very much and does the right thing

They do care (I don’t think I said they didn't) but they don’t seem to take responsibility. Yes, what a meta does with the powers is up to them but the heroes are responsible for the scenario in the first place.

Again, yes Supergirl cares and does the right thing but as Ben Lockwood’s origin episode shows she never cleans up her mess. For example, rather than figure out why a bunch factory workers attacked an alien she swoops in and Alex (disguised as an FBI agent therefore representing the government)declares they are “lucky she didn’t go harder on them” - Olsen dismisses Lockwood’s plea to tell the impact of these super fights on ordinary people,m.

The Flash needs to stop repeating itself and bring in a Big Bad that Barry is not directly or indirectly responsible for creating. And the Agent is Liberty arc needs tie show Kara growing up and realise she might be saving lives but she is also destroying livelihoods homes. I’ll be very disappointed if the story ends with Lockwood just being a bad guy because he went full “racist” and Kara doesn’t grow at all.

• Advertisement

Also Sherloq praises Iris and Nora’s detective abilities in finding and retrieving the satellite core - but he is the one who brought them to the lake in the park and (in their own words) it took them two hours to figure why they were there?

Also Sherloq praises Iris and Nora’s detective abilities in finding and retrieving the satellite core - but he is the one who brought them to the lake in the park and (in their own words) it took them two hours to figure why they were there?

You realised he did that so they could bond together and get on. Iris herself said as much after to him. I realised that this season they should have sent Nora straight back but this season they are taking great responsibility.

They do care (I don’t think I said they didn't) but they don’t seem to take responsibility. Yes, what a meta does with the powers is up to them but the heroes are responsible for the scenario in the first place.

Again, yes Supergirl cares and does the right thing but as Ben Lockwood’s origin episode shows she never cleans up her mess. For example, rather than figure out why a bunch factory workers attacked an alien she swoops in and Alex (disguised as an FBI agent therefore representing the government)declares they are “lucky she didn’t go harder on them” - Olsen dismisses Lockwood’s plea to tell the impact of these super fights on ordinary people,m.

The Flash needs to stop repeating itself and bring in a Big Bad that Barry is not directly or indirectly responsible for creating. And the Agent is Liberty arc needs tie show Kara growing up and realise she might be saving lives but she is also destroying livelihoods homes. I’ll be very disappointed if the story ends with Lockwood just being a bad guy because he went full “racist” and Kara doesn’t grow at all.

The Flash big bads

Reverse Flash was not created by the The Flash

Zoom was created in Earth Two yes the reason he came was due to the breach but they spent the season closing said breaches and capturing all meta from there

Savitar I will admit was due to Barry but he did take responsibility once he figured out.

The Thinker was created by the explosion which was done by Reverse Flash again not Barry's fault. The bus metas that is on the Thinked IMO.

This version of Cicada yes on Nora and they have taken responsibility.

Again on Supergirl I do not watch so I will leave to someone else to write about

You realised he did that so they could bond together and get on. Iris herself said as much after to him. I realised that this season they should have sent Nora straight back but this season they are taking great responsibility.

Yes I know Sherloq set it up but all Iris and Nora did was decide which type of run to use - they “hi-5’dl like they actually believe they solved it.

Yes, they are hunting the villain they created but they usually are - 90% of the dangers in Central City that the Flash is worshipped for stopping are brought about by him.

The Feds hunt Green Arrow who has only killed bad guys but not the Flash who is an actual danger.

Oliver heaps responsibility on himself that he is not always responsible for - Barry seemingly feels nothing.

The Flash big bads

Reverse Flash was not created by the The Flash

Zoom was created in Earth Two yes the reason he came was due to the breach but they spent the season closing said breaches and capturing all meta from there

Savitar I will admit was due to Barry but he did take responsibility once he figured out.

The Thinker was created by the explosion which was done by Reverse Flash again not Barry's fault. The bus metas that is on the Thinked IMO.

This version of Cicada yes on Nora and they have taken responsibility.

Again on Supergirl I do not watch so I will leave to someone else to write about

Responsibility doesn’t just mean tidying up the mess. He can try not doing these things to being in with.

Barry didn’t create Reverse Flash but he is responsible for Thawne being trapped in the past, killing the real Wells, and everything else.

My point is that the writers keep creating these world endangering situations that Barry is directly or indirectly responsible for.

Yes he fixes them but how many people have been hurt or killed as a result?

Central City would be a lot safer if The Flash retired ;)

The writers need to use more bad guys like Caitlin’s father whose origin is not connected to Barry.

Yes I know Sherloq set it up but all Iris and Nora did was decide which type of run to use - they “hi-5’dl like they actually believe they solved it.

Yes, they are hunting the villain they created but they usually are - 90% of the dangers in Central City that the Flash is worshipped for stopping are brought about by him.

The Feds hunt Green Arrow who has only killed bad guys but not the Flash who is an actual danger.

Oliver heaps responsibility on himself that he is not always responsible for - Barry seemingly feels nothing.

The meta humans that are created by the partical explosion which Reverse Flash did that anx the meets metals by The Thinker. Also if the metas decide to be evil that's on them. Barry also works with the police.

Oliver who I agree should be shown gratitude killed people and did not care for a long time only the mission so casualties happen.

Responsibility doesn’t just mean tidying up the mess. He can try not doing these things to being in with.

Barry didn’t create Reverse Flash but he is responsible for Thawne being trapped in the past, killing the real Wells, and everything else.

My point is that the writers keep creating these world endangering situations that Barry is directly or indirectly responsible for.

Yes he fixes them but how many people have been hurt or killed as a result?

Central City would be a lot safer if The Flash retired ;)

The writers need to use more bad guys like Caitlin’s father whose origin is not connected to Barry.

Barry isn't responsible for Thawne been stuck in the past

Barry isn't responsible for Thawne been stuck in the past

He is.

Going back in time to confront Reverse Flash drains Thawne trapping him in the past. It wasn’t his intent but it is the result.

Going back again to stop sets in motion even more trouble.

Oliver has brought some trouble to Star City but the majority is not his doing.

Supergirl bears some responsibility for Agent of Liberty because of her battles and the secrets she helps keep but Kara herself is not responsible for any of the villains or their actions.

He is.

Going back in time to confront Reverse Flash drains Thawne trapping him in the past.

Going back again to stop sets in motion even more trouble.

He went back to stop Thawne from killing his mother then Thawne ran away and got stuck. That is on Thawne not Barry. Was he meant to leave him go and kill Barry's mother. That is on Thawne not Barry and to blame Barry is idiotic. Thawne got himself stuck and Thawne is responsible no one else.

Also whatever Agent of Liberty does that is his doing o one made him do it. I bet you but terrorists bombing on others and not the actual terrorist

The meta humans that are created by the partical explosion which Reverse Flash did that anx the meets metals by The Thinker. Also if the metas decide to be evil that's on them. Barry also works with the police.

Oliver who I agree should be shown gratitude killed people and did not care for a long time only the mission so casualties happen.

Oliver didn’t care about hurting criminals but has never killed an innocent civilian.

He does however carry the guilt of killing of killing bad guys and the innocents he couldn’t Alsace or that were hurt as a result of his actions.

Barry (whose has a caring personality and wants to do right) doesn’t seem particularly burdened by anything which is why the writers should stop creating the next menace from when Barry saves the world.

• Advertisement

Oliver didn’t care about hurting criminals but has never killed an innocent civilian.

He does however carry the guilt of killing of killing bad guys and the innocents he couldn’t Alsace or that were hurt as a result of his actions.

Barry (whose has a caring personality and wants to do right) doesn’t seem particularly burdened by anything which is why the writers should stop creating the next menace from when Barry saves the world.

Barry does not care about anything are you sure you have watched the show. At least half to 3/4 of every season is of him not wanting to do something if it means someones injury

He went back to stop Thawne from killing his mother then Thawne ran away and got stuck. That is on Thawne not Barry. Was he meant to leave him go and kill Barry's mother. That is on Thawne not Barry and to blame Barry is idiotic. Thawne got himself stuck and Thawne is responsible no one else.

Also whatever Agent of Liberty does that is his doing o one made him do it. I bet you but terrorists bombing on others and not the actual terrorist

First of all, chill out. We are discussing fictional characters on a superhero TV show. There is no need to start throwing insults.

If you will keep it civil we can continue.

If course Barry wants to save his mother but Thawne is drained of his speed because fighting The Flash drained him.

It is doesn’t matter what anyone’s intent is - Barry is involved in the events that lead to Harrison Wells’ murder and the collider explosion.

No he shouldn’t feel guilty but he is still partly responsible. Everything that happens comes from that event.

If Barry has not gone back in time the world wouldn’t have metas or Reverse Flash. ;)

I never said Agent of Liberty is not responsible for his actions. I said Kara seeming indifference to the destruction when she is fighting the latest threat and her inability to see past the surface of “the alien haters” lead to his creation.

Yes he is doing bad things but his origin episode makes it clear he tried other ways. The good guys just didn’t listen. If they had it wouldn’t have come to this.

He will receive justice in the end obviously but what I just the writers to that when Supergirl falls on a family’s house when saving the world that she goes back later and does something to help. ;)

The moment when Alex tells Lockwood that his friends are lucky Supergirl went easy on them is a great moment in the series - his reaction shows these characters from the point of view of an ordinary man. This woman can literally do whatever she wants and the government is fine with it.

Lockwood is by far the best villain they’ve had on the show. Witwer is a great in everything he does.

First of all, chill out. We are discussing fictional characters on a superhero TV show. There is no need to start throwing insults.

If you will keep it civil we can continue.

If course Barry wants to save his mother but Thawne is drained of his speed because fighting The Flash drained him.

It is doesn’t matter what anyone’s intent is - Barry is involved in the events that lead to Harrison Wells’ murder and the collider explosion.

No he shouldn’t feel guilty but he is still partly responsible. Everything that happens comes from that event.

If Barry has not gone back in time the world wouldn’t have metas or Reverse Flash. ;)

I never said Agent of Liberty is not responsible for his actions. I said Kara seeming indifference to the destruction when she is fighting the latest threat and her inability to see past the surface of “the alien haters” lead to his creation.

Yes he is doing bad things but his origin episode makes it clear he tried other ways. The good guys just didn’t listen. If they had it wouldn’t have come to this.

He will receive justice in the end obviously but what I just the writers to that when Supergirl falls on a family’s house when saving the world that she goes back later and does something to help. ;)

The moment when Alex tells Lockwood that his friends are lucky Supergirl went easy on them is a great moment in the series - his reaction shows these characters from the point of view of an ordinary man. This woman can literally do whatever she wants and the government is fine with it.

Lockwood is by far the best villain they’ve had on the show. Witwer is a great in everything he does.

I would say if Thawne did not go back in time to kill Barry's mum that wouldn't lead to everything. Hell Thawne created himself in the future after Barry so he is responsible Barry followed him to stop him so it's on on Thawne not Barry.

As for Lockwood as I said not sure of Supergirl but what were they doing for Supergirl having to come. Should supergirl know her own strength yes as should all metas and aliens but if he was doing something that required that response then so be it

I would say if Thawne did not go back in time to kill Barry's mum that wouldn't lead to everything. Hell Thawne created himself in the future after Barry so he is responsible Barry followed him to stop him so it's on on Thawne not Barry.

As for Lockwood as I said not sure of Supergirl but what were they doing for Supergirl having to come. Should supergirl know her own strength yes as should all metas and aliens but if he was doing something that required that response then so be it

Barry went back in time twice to tee to alter events and both times results in the creation of new dangers - and in turn lead to others.

The intro to each episode even had Barry admit that the dangers are the result of his actions - yet in the show itself he is not portrayed like that.

It is not a question of Kara knowing her strength. Not is she the one crushing houses or knocking chunks of skyscrapers. She also puts protecting civilians ahead of wining the fight. She is saving the world and can be forgiven for being a part of property damage.

However she does not return to those places and help tidy up, she does not ask why the man is angry at aliens and her newspaper does not discuss the effects in ordinary people. She is right to intervene when someone is in danger but she does not have the right to decide on what the culprits deserve and Alex was very much in the wrong to make the comment.

Barry went back in time twice to tee to alter events and both times results in the creation of new dangers - and in turn lead to others.

The intro to each episode even had Barry admit that the dangers are the result of his actions - yet in the show itself he is not portrayed like that.

It is not a question of Kara knowing her strength. Not is she the one crushing houses or knocking chunks of skyscrapers. She also puts protecting civilians ahead of wining the fight. She is saving the world and can be forgiven for being a part of property damage.

However she does not return to those places and help tidy up, she does not ask why the man is angry at aliens and her newspaper does not discuss the effects in ordinary people. She is right to intervene when someone is in danger but she does not have the right to decide on what the culprits deserve and Alex was very much in the wrong to make the comment.

Flashpoint agree is Barry's but the first all is Thaww he is the reason for that

Flashpoint agree is Barry's but the first all is Thaww he is the reason for that

I'm not saying Thawne is a cause - he started it by going back in time but Barry is a part of it because he followed him back which resulted in Thawne losing his speed trapping him in the past.

It does not matter what the intention was or whether someone was manipulating the situation, Barry and his friends are neck deep in creating the crisis for each season.

Yes, they fix but how many innocent people have died? How many people wo would have been harmless are made dangerous? ,

Barry is the one the government needs to hunt not Oliver.

Prduction wise, for the sake of originality the writer's need to bring in a threat that doesn't't stem from something The Flash and STAR Labs do.

Looks like we are not going to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Older Barry following Thawne back in time was down to self preservation on older Barry's part, which is only natural, if you discovered your super speed powered nemesis had figured out who you were as child, and was intending on killing your younger self, (which we found out was Thawne's original intention in episode 15 of season 1, when he told Cisco) you'd sure as hell want to keep yourself and future versions from being wiped from existence.

Basically, Barry/Eobard's rivalry can be summarized in 3 words, cause and effect.

Brandon Routh, Tyler Hoechlin to Both Play Superman during Crisis of Infinite Earths crossover event. Routh will reportedly appear in the crossover as the Clark Kent/Superman of one “time frame,” while Hoechlin will play the Man of Steel from another. Hopefully they get Tom Welling too as he is rumoured to be in Arrow this season. We will probably find out more tomorrow during Comic Con

https://tvline.com/2019/07/19/arrowverse-crossover-2019-brandon-routh-superman/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Brandon Routh, Tyler Hoechlin to Both Play Superman during Crisis of Infinite Earths crossover event. Routh will reportedly appear in the crossover as the Clark Kent/Superman of one “time frame,” while Hoechlin will play the Man of Steel from another. Hopefully they get Tom Welling too as he is rumoured to be in Arrow this season. We will probably find out more tomorrow during Comic Con

https://tvline.com/2019/07/19/arrowverse-crossover-2019-brandon-routh-superman/

Routh deserves another go but the mutli verse lip service going on right now in the genre is getting farcical. To be fair it's DC that are at it mostly with Marvel only now starting to tease it with a certain cameo in Spiderman.

Advertisement