Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mirror- Netflix [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

anna080 wrote: »
    3 episodes in. Not really loving it so far. Episode 1 was probably the best out of the 3. 2 was very predictable and just overall quite poor, which I expected more of having Jodie Foster behind it. I'm hoping there's a hidden gem in there somewhere, like San Junipero.

Watched 1 and 5 (metalhead). It's lost something I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Enjoyed this season but as others say it's lacking something. Hang the DJ was my favourite of the 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Have watched the first four so far and feel the same, each episode has been good but nothing has amazed me like some episodes from previous seasons. Of the 4 so far, I would say Hang the DJ has been the most enjoyable. Hoping one of the last two is San Junipero or Shut Up & Dance level.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can't get the hate for episode 1..

.. got serious Harvey Weinstein vibes from Plemon's captain.. especially kissing each of the female crew after a successful mission.

Plus where he leaves the mission on the planet to get a pizza and everyone starts temporarily relaxing, including the alien creature was brilliant!

Let's not forget both of the 3 episode seasons when on Channel 4 had duds.

Still think for a show that sinced doubled it's output - both in episode number and how often it's aired.. it's still of a very high quality IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Episode 3 is getting a lot of hate but i thought it was one of the strongest.
    the killing of the baby might have been too much for people but the twist the baby was blind and then the guinea pig caught her out was classic black mirror darkness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Finished Black Museum.
    Nice references to past episodes at the start, shared universe kind of buzz is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

'Predictable' would be my review for most Black Mirror episodes to be honest. Like a long walk to an obvious punchline. This season might be the first time I've just not let that bother me.

Really enjoyed episode one and two so far. Episode three was alright but felt unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Metalhead is dreadful! Think it's this season's Waldo Moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Was Stanhope Street, where the hotel was, a reference to Doug Stanhope? The guy off weekly wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

First episode was by far the best...lots of dark humour and a very good commentary on Virtual Reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Unearthly wrote: »
    Episode 3 is getting a lot of hate but i thought it was one of the strongest.
    the killing of the baby might have been too much for people but the twist the baby was blind and then the guinea pig caught her out was classic black mirror darkness

Yep that was my Shut Up and Dance episode, I had to take a break from watching the series after watching it really Dark. So I’ve watched Episode 1,2,3 and 6 and so far Episode 1 is my favourite, episode 2 didn’t really do it for me a tad predictable and my least favourite. Two more to go Hang the DJ next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

A bit like last season where we had a brilliant but bleak episode we had a feel good episode and I really loved Hang the DJ it’s this seasons San Junipero

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Had a bit of a Black Mirror binge today watched 4 eps from seasons 2-4.

Shut Up and Dance- probably liked this the most, felt so sorry for the kid up until 5 mins to go. Actually felt sorry for Jerome Flynn’s character for some reason.

White Christmas- good, thought Jon Hamm was fantastic the final third of the episode is so bleak.

USS Callister- very good, thought it dragged in parts but found myself laughing at a lot of it. Plemons is a great actor.

Hang the DJ- really enjoyed this and a happy ending too-yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

So far so.....mediocre. Went with Callister and Hang The DJ as they seemed the most popular on here. Found both very very mediocre. The ideas seem awfully familiar and re-hashed. A big fat MEH from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Was Stanhope Street, where the hotel was, a reference to Doug Stanhope? The guy off weekly wipe.

Wondered about that as well. Possibly a bit of foreshadowing to the controversial plot point, it's also a lyric from Pulp's 90s classic "Babies".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Only saw Charlie's 2017 Wipe was cancelled too due to him being too busy :(

Only saw Charlie's 2017 Wipe was cancelled too due to him being too busy :(

Yeah I saw an interview saying he was too busy with writing and other projects to do it this year which is a shame, probably the success of Black Mirror has put extra pressure on his time. Maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kg703

I enjoyed the season overall. I would like something new to be brought to the table, I guess, but still was entertained. My episodes in order of best to worst:

Black Museum
    Callister
    Arkangel
    Hang the DJ
    Crocodile
    Metalhead

Nothing wrong with Metalhead, I just don't think I really got it - seemed very un-Black Mirror?
    A bit like last season where we had a brilliant but bleak episode we had a feel good episode and I really loved Hang the DJ it’s this seasons San Junipero

I disagree. San J was a gem of an episode. This tried to be that and was really predictable. I mean
    we all knew they were going to run away together so it didn't have the effect or impact of SJ. Or the chemistry that the two girls had.
    It wasn't a bad episode but by no means as good as SJ.

Looking forward to Season 5! :D

kg703 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the season overall. I would like something new to be brought to the table, I guess, but still was entertained. My episodes in order of best to worst:

Black Museum
    Callister
    Arkangel
    Hang the DJ
    Crocodile
    Metalhead

Nothing wrong with Metalhead, I just don't think I really got it - seemed very un-Black Mirror?

I disagree. San J was a gem of an episode. This tried to be that and was really predictable. I mean
    we all knew they were going to run away together so it didn't have the effect or impact of SJ. Or the chemistry that the two girls had.
    It wasn't a bad episode but by no means as good as SJ.

Looking forward to Season 5! :D

I agree it has nowhere near the re-watchability of SJ but it was still a feel good episode. I wonder will he do the same next season and stick to the bleak episode followed by an upbeat happy ending story.
    My order from best to worst would be
    Callister
    Hang the DJ
    Black Muesum
    Crocodile
    Metal head
    Ark Angel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Black Museum was the best. Was the only one that had a twist you didn't see coming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd go

Black museum
    USS Callister
    Crocodile
    Hang the DJ
    Metalhead
    Ark Angel

Agree with others HTDJ wasn't on same level as San Junipero

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Finished the fourth season last night, I was very disappointed with Metalhead and would go as far as saying it is the worst episode of Black Mirror there is. Black Museum was great though and was probably the highlight of this season,
    as others have said it was the only episode with a real twist in it and that everything clicked together, that feeling was really missing in season 4 overall. Maybe that is partially what has made this season feel a bit underwhelming, that we are expecting the unexpected too much.

There was definitely nothing on the level of San Junipero or Shut Up and Dance but overall I enjoyed watching every epsode apart from Metalhead.

I would rate them in this order:
    Black Museum
    Hang the DJ
    USS Callister
    Arkangel
    Crocodile
    Metalhead

I kind of liked Metal Head i like those apocalyptic stories and it was a hell of a lot better then Ark Angel, it kept me interested up until the end. I dunno maybe it’s just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

There was such a big gap between Black Museum, Hang the DJ and USS Callister which I really enjoyed and the three others. Metalhead was genuinely bad. Was like a really awful attempt at a Tarrentino film. I didn't appreciate it on any level. Cared little for your one. Attempts at suspense were poor. I just wanted the robot to catch her so it would end.

Black Museum was a contender for best over all the seasons. All in all a season of big contrasts. 6.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Black Museum was the best. Was the only one that...

You should spolier-tag the bit I didn't quote tbh. That's the only episode I haven't seen yet and now I'll be expecting things. Hate that :-/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

If you enjoy Black Mirror you might like Get Out.

Daniel Kaluuya plays the lead, who you may remember from the episode "Fifteen Million Merits" from Season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

L1m1tless wrote: »

Daniel Kaluuya plays the lead, who you may remember from the episode "Fifteen Million Merits" from Season 1.

Thought Electric Dreams the Philip K Dick short stories released in the 50's/60's was similar also. More episodes planned 2018. Episode 6 of Electric Dreams is really good Bryan Cranston, Liam Cunningham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Goodshape wrote: »
    You should spolier-tag the bit I didn't quote tbh. That's the only episode I haven't seen yet and now I'll be expecting things. Hate that :-/

You really shouldn't be reading the thread at all if you have not seen all episodes because people just don't give 2 fcuks if they spoil anything sadly....

• Advertisement

L1m1tless wrote: »

Get Out really felt like a Black Mirror Episode

Advertisement