Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mirror- Netflix [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Read back there! You're going off topic.

No idea what you are going on about

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Not a fan of Hang the DJ. It was grand and all that, but I would not watch it again.

Saw the twist coming in Black Museum but it was a solid episode nevertheless.

Arkangel, like Hang the DJ, was by the numbers. Decent but not one I would watch again.

Metalhead was pretty good in a Terminator minus the context kind of way.

Crocodile was some bleak stuff. Great acting though.

USS Callister was the one I enjoyed the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Jordoo wrote: »
    With Metalhead, I felt like there wasn't enough context in relation to the story. Anyone else feel like this? Really frustrating episode as I was so confused how these dogs came about, and why..
    The whole point is to leave it to your imagination!
    fritzelly wrote: »
    Thought the point was the teddy bear they were trying to get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

4 episodes into season 4, and having watched Hang The DJ, I can’t help but think that some of the ideas are just being recycled, that’s White Christmas, USS Callister and Hang The DJ now that’s based it’s premise on the idea of making a digital clone of people and then placing those clones into a simulation. The idea blew me away in White Christmas. It’s a really cool “what if” concept, and explores some nice ideas on what you could do with that kind of technology and the ethical responsibilities that come with it, but I have to say that they really seem to be milking it at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The new series is using some old ideas as regards the technology, but the stories themselves are different.

One thing I liked about Black Museum was how
    it delves into the laws surrounding the technology. Even the lollipop from USS Callister is thought of as being from a crime, even though technically all he did was steal a childs lollipop. After that he only 'killed' a digital copy of a child.

I wonder in the next series will they delve into the laws around the technology more. For instance will that dating app be banned? Every time two people go on a date 1,000 digital copies of both people are 'killed'. Surely if what happened to the digital copy of the child is a crime wouldn't that be too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This post has been deleted.

I thought the black and white made it better tbh ..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I thought the black and white made it better tbh ..

Aye, black and white suited it perfectly I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Originally Charlie Brooker wanted Metalhead to have no dialogue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Unearthly wrote: »

Wow, that would have been interesting allright !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Unearthly wrote: »

I think it would have been great without the
    fúcking teddybears!

The concept was alright in Black Museum, but the lassie's
    American accent
    was absolute pish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah her accent almost ruined that episode for me.

I thought they were all brilliant tbh. That one being the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Jordoo wrote: »
    With Metalhead, I felt like there wasn't enough context in relation to the story. Anyone else feel like this? Really frustrating episode as I was so confused how these dogs came about, and why..

metalhead was my favourite episode!!! 40mins of unrelenting tension. Fast paced little story that takes place with the back drop of a fcuked up world. sometimes its ok not to know the whole origin story.

But there was some info given...
    The walled off section keeping people in or out of the place they started in, the guy (or was it a couple) that killed themselves in the house instead of living in what ever world that was there. Clearly something went to shiit, energy is at a premium and there is a type of resistance or rouge group of people that are on the run from and maybe fighting against a powerful controlling regime that have artificially intelligent terminator dog robots.
    I'm happy with that type of story telling

For anyone interested, a list of all the season 4 references to previous seasons can be found at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bjy7j8/every-easter-egg-in-season-four-of-black-mirror .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Exactly, you make no sense at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just watched USS Callister, enjoying the actress Michaela Coel, who also played the airport stewardess in the season 3 first episode Nosedive.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

fritzelly wrote: »
    Exactly, you make no sense at all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The ending to Crocodile was just so awful it was hilarious. I haven't finished all the episodes yet but I saw some article comparing one of the episodes to a Karl Pilkington story from years ago. The ending to Crocodile definitely felt like a Karl Pilkington story.
    So she killed t'baby, right? Only turned out, baby were blind, weren't he? But then the guys with the memory chips, right... spot t'guinea pig in the corner... and use his memories to arrest her... Whaddya think 'bout that?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Black Museum is brilliant probably the best of the recent lot , like a black mirror inside a black mirror , I wish the episode was 4 episodes long and we got the story behind everything in the museum.

I think that was the whole point of Black Museum. He had ideas that he couldn't make into a full episode, so this allowed him to still have those concepts within the one episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just watched USS Callister, enjoying the actress Michaela Coel, who also played the airport stewardess in the season 3 first episode Nosedive.
    She is brilliant, chewing gum is hilarious.

I have seen 5 eps so far, I would rank them.
    Hang the DJ
    Uss Callister
    Metalhead
    Crocodile
    Arkangel

Not been a perfect series so far but still really interesting and a solid watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

PhilipsR wrote: »
    I think that was the whole point of Black Museum. He had ideas that he couldn't make into a full episode, so this allowed him to still have those concepts within the one episode.

Thought this too while watching it, but it worked. Best episode of the season for me. Black Mirror at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I loved the last episode. The middle story with the teddy bear was super f*cked up.

That said I think Hang The DJ was the best episode overall. I thought the whole thing worked so well.

I wasn't too impressed with Hang the Dj. I loved the ending and thought the concept was really clever, but the overall content of the episode I wasn't mad on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

anna080 wrote: »
    I wasn't too impressed with Hang the Dj. I loved the ending and thought the concept was really clever, but the overall content of the episode I wasn't mad on.
    Similar to my reaction - a bit of a slog to get there...which is what the virtual characters had to endure...all "for a reason*", of course :p:pac:
    (*Also brought to my mind the idea of religion/God)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yep it was a very bang average episode for me. (Hang the dj)

Looking forward to black museum

PhilipsR wrote: »

Would have loving to see a few of those concepts as episodes.
    The doctor one would have making a great episode if a little less graphic.
    Who knows they are probably already episodes shot but just cut for that episode. Thought the consciousness one
    would have been too annoying but all credit to your women playing in the coma she was extremely annoying!

Perhaps it was planned for Black Museum to be the final in the series with those episodes being 6,7,8 then BM 9.

The doctor part in Black Museum
    I literally felt sick when he was hacking away at himself. So palpable.

You still loved it though didn't you,
    You sadists :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

That part of Black museum was written by Penn Gillette

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Also enjoyed Black Museum more than the 2 I've watched so far. Not as good as earlier seasons still, but pretty decent! I've such a crush on that Welsh wan though, she was in Utopia too, Alexandra Roach! So my opinion was skewed by that.

Advertisement