Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mirror- Netflix [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah, each episode of Black Mirror is a standalone story.

Just watched 1.01 which was bizarre, but very good. I now see why Charlie Brooker tweeted about the pig thing. :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just watched 1.01 which was bizarre, but very good. I now see why Charlie Brooker tweeted about the pig thing. :D :eek:

You lucky sonofabitch - I would love to be watching the series from the beginning with fresh eyes. There are some absolute gems in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Same. Said id give it a go yesterday, ended up watching 3 in a row.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

den87 wrote: »
    Same. Said id give it a go yesterday, ended up watching 3 in a row.

Wasn't so sure about 1.03, but it may in fact have been the most unsettling of the first series.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Wasn't so sure about 1.03, but it may in fact have been the most unsettling of the first series.

Had to watch 1.03 in two parts because the main character REALLY annoyed me at first but then when i went back to finish i thought "hmmm id act a bit similar in this situation" and found it really compelling and a tad unsettling as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ok finished episodes 5 & 6 really enjoyed them both episode 5 is probably what the future soldiers will use as tech which is scared
    Episode 6 is basically a Detective catch the killer gave me the vibe of say Luther, really fantastic Kelly McDonaldi is great as the lead technology and again like the first episode revolves around social media!
    Now I like a few others have to go and watch season one and two for the first time! Well done Charlie Brooker and Netflix for this series!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I thought 3.06 was pretty crap. There wasn't much original about it; just seemed like a standard cop drama with a little twist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

First 4 have been very impressive. 4 was kind of meh up til the last 20 minutes where it all came together, almost making a rewatch compulsory.

3 was bloody grim. I'd say it provoked a few people to do what the main guy did with the Blu tack :D

1 was as many said already, a great idea stretched a bit too far, but in a really nice shell. Still very much recommended viewing though, as was 2 which is probably the closest to a straight up horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

Play test was a brilliant piece of horror, slick and unpredictable with a lovley build up.
    Was trying not to go to IMDb to see who the tech savvy cop in episode 6 was but gave up.

Stoogie wrote: »
    Play test was a brilliant piece of horror, slick and unpredictable with a lovley build up.
    Was trying not to go to IMDb to see who the tech savvy cop in episode 6 was but gave up.

Her name is Faye Marsay
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5709236/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've just watched 4 so far. I found San Junipero a bit boring to watch as I thought the middle dragged before the reveal of what the situation was then it just hurtled toward the end so the character development felt rushed. But it's stayed with me for the last few days, I guess as it's pretty much the most earth shattering of the concepts from any of the episodes
    (a sort of immortality)
    yet not especially far fetched in the near future. And if it was something eventually on offer to us it would be so bitter sweet because
    we lived our lives expecting an eventual death and as the first wave of adopters we'd have to 'live' that immortality without the people we lost before it was available. An especially difficult prospect if you outlived a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Took a break for a few days because I really want to savour the new episodes and not just rush through them for the sake of being caught up, but just finished San Junipero and it's easily my favourite Black Mirror so far - I can understand why it's an episode that won't be everyone's cup of tea, but for me it just hit all the right notes (pun intended)...
    3x04
    There was enough intrigue in the first half that kept me guessing what was actually happening while keeping me entertained with the music, fashion and pop culture of yesteryear. Even though I kinda guessed early on it was some sort of afterlife, once they actually got into the "reveal" part of the episode I was really intrigued by the premise - as a huge fan of music (80s music doubly so) and time travel I want them to start working on this for real. The fact it's the only episode that has a happy ending, I'm especially behind the idea, and usually the reason I love Black Mirror is that I completely agree with the message that technology is getting out of control. Anyway, loved it, and needless to say I'll have Belinda Carlisle playing on repeat for about a week now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not the biggest fan of the show - I often appreciate the concept and intentions more than I do the execution. That pretty much carries on with season three. Most of the episodes play out rather predictably once you figure out what the given 'dark twist' is. There are sometimes great moments or performances in each (the final minutes of episode 3, for example, salvaged what was otherwise IMO a rather bland episode, or Kelly McDonald excelling in otherwise one of the weakest episodes of the series) and it undoubtedly addresses themes that are very welcome in a popular show (
    episode 5's take on the dehumanisation of 'others' felt particularly relevant in 2016
    ). It's also a series plagued by unevenness, both in individual episodes and the very nature of an anthology series. This is even more pronounced in a six episode run.

The wild card in all this is San Junipero. It sticks out like a sore thumb in the best possible way. Easily the finest hour of the show to date, it takes the core 'technology is problematic!' thesis of the show in unexpected and very Human directions. What a different a little bit of compassion makes! There's been attempts at that before (the Atwell / Gleeson episode) but this is thankfully another level: confident storytelling that delivers its eventual reveals with grace and intelligence. It's not perfect by any means: the 80s scene-setting was particularly heavy-handed, although what happens later on allows that to make more sense. And certainly the refusal to play its cards until quite deep into the episode could understandably cause frustration. But overall its by far my favourite Black Mirror episode to date, and hopefully later seasons will see similarly unexpected breaks from the established formula and tone. It really is a series that can go anywhere it damn well pleases, which makes it a shame that despite the constantly fluctuating tone, casts, ideas and even aesthetic so many other episodes feel decidedly underwhelming.

Just finished Season 2 my favourite would be Be Right Back I think the two central characters made that work especially Domhnall Gleeson! Also really like White Bear which had a nice twist at the end, White Christmas was ok in parts I liked the Geek story at the start, least favourite was The Waldo Moment seemed like a weak story and under written. I still have Season 1 episodes 1 and 2 to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I loved the new series. San Junipero was awesome and loved the soundtrack though it was confusing at first and then they had to basically explain the premise in the second half, but once you get it you realise it's amazing writing. Also thought Yorkie was lovely!

But I also really liked Nosedive, the pastel sets and costume design really worked and it might be my favourite, loved the ending where they weren't worried about ratings any more.

The scene in the beginning of Shut Up and Dance where he gives the kid the toy she forgot takes on a different light...

The last 2 were the weakest for me but still very good and had a potent message in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The netflix episodes were very hit and miss, San Junipero was the stand out episode for me it left me with an unsettling feeling that I wont soon forget. It also asked some very interesting questions about mortality. Nosedive was also very good, it had some great moments of levity that you would not expect from black mirror, the use of neutral colours to mirror the very agreeable nature of the people caught up in the likes game became almost nauseating in the best possible way the further the episode progressed.
    Playtest was good up until the ending pulled the rug from under the whole thing, Shut Up and Dance was the opposite it was only ok through out but the revelation at the end made the whole thing allot more plausible
    The final two episodes were the least entertaining, the last one being especially disappointing, I was hoping with the extra half hour they would finish on a high, but it didn't feel like a black mirror episode at all very boring altogether.
    When its good its some of the best tv ever so I will be hoping for a series 4 sooner rather than later.

My opinion: it didn't hold up to the previous two series.

Play Test was a wonderfully well done piece of horror, Shut Up & Dance was horrifically bleak, and the first was very glossily well done.

But -- it kind of felt like it was more "look at the famous faces we have - look at the directors we have for each episode, hasn't our budget increased -- I mean -- we've computer generated bees" and I.. I don't know.. feel like Black Mirror's previous lo-fi sensibility on Channel 4 did it more justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Just finished S03 EP04 and wasnt impressed. Didnt realise what was happening untiil the
    Quagmire
    scene
    and the guy said to check era's
    . Although when it started and Yorkie was at the PacMan game, I immideately thought Halt and Catch Fire

Didnt see the twist in Shut up and Dance coming until the
    forest
    scene
    when the other guy asks about the ages

So far though, overall I found Season 1 and 2 to be miles better than Season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just watched Shut Up and Dance, it was the first episode of this I've seen. Brilliant television. The ending played out to Radiohead's Exit Music (for a film) absolutely floored me! I don't understand how anyone could binge watch this, it's heavy stuff. Plus I think the episodes will have more of an impact if you take your time between each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

MadYaker wrote: »
    Just watched Shut Up and Dance, it was the first episode of this I've seen. Brilliant television. The ending played out to Radiohead's Exit Music (for a film) absolutely floored me! I don't understand how anyone could binge watch this, it's heavy stuff. Plus I think the episodes will have more of an impact if you take your time between each one.

Yep, I stretched them out over a week, they are fairly heavy, but it's also because the storyline doesn't follow on like most TV shows, It makes the urge to binge less intense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Watched "Shut up and Dance" last night.
    Am now very conscious of my webcam despite my browsing habits being totally innocent :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched 'Men Against Fire' last night... and definitely the weakest so far!
    Could see the twist of
    some sort of implant making the soldiers think regular ol' humans were roaches
    an absolute mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Just finished the season , I liked them all , cant understand the negative comments about Hated in the nation , it was a great idea well executed and I rated it well above Nose Dive and Men against Fire.

San Junipero is one of my favourite pieces of TV this year , so sweet.

Cannot wait for Season 4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Two episodes in, Really hope the episode quality is as good throughout. Its kind of like the Twilight Zone meets the modern age love it. From the two episodes I've watched they have really made me think! I know exactly how I'll be watching the series, 2 episodes a night and reflection! It's too good to binge gotta savour it.

Episode 2 great story and plot twist couldn't help but have an uncontrollable outburst of "WOW! amazing"

Edit:

That's season 3 I watched first whatever way Netflix decided to play the episodes. They show in reverse order newest first for some reason didn't even check the episode number. Suppose it doesn't make a difference what order the episodes are watched as they are all different stories.

The first two of season 1 not as good as 3rd seasons first two episodes still good though. They could keep the seasons going a good long while hope they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Only heard about Black Mirror around two weeks ago, have since watched every episode apart from 3.05 and 2.04. I am pretty blown away at how good it has been, there were only 2 or 3 episodes across all of the series that I didn't really enjoy, and even at that they were still pretty entertaining. Weakest episodes for me were Fifteen Million Merits and The Waldo Moment (although I did watch the latter the day Trump got elected, which felt appropriate).

It is hard to pick out a favourite as there were so many great moments, but I watched San Junipero last night and I have not been able to stop thinking about it since. There was something in particular about that episode that stayed in my head, the 80s theme and visuals, the soundtrack, the human aspect, the twist.. It pulled on my emotional strings perfectly, the ending was beautiful and it was great to have a happy ending for once, just a shame that it wasn't the finale of the series.

Amazed at Black Mirror in general and have been singing it's praises to anyone who will listen, unbelievable television.

BRB is, hands down, the best episode of Black Mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

My opinion: it didn't hold up to the previous two series.

I am brokenhearted over the new episodes, because for me they are nowhere near the quality of the first two seasons. I watched them all, hoping against hope I would have that WOW reaction to even one , but no.
    Found them all fairly predictable and .... very "meh" overall.

Oh well, I will always have "The Story of You" ;)

Thought Playtest(3.2) and San Junipero(3.4) were the best episodes I've seen, still have 2 episodes to go in season 3. The only one that was predictable was White Christmas but even then it was not too apparent. Its hard to pick a favourite episode it is easier to say that 2 or 3 episodes where not great but even still they were good!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Finished season 3 last night, watched the previous series when they originally aired so bit of a gap for comparing them,but my memory of the first 2 seasons was that they were a bit more snappy and tight, more focused on the ideas than the characters/setting etc. For me the new season seemed to suffer a bit from the weight of the bigger production, the episodes felt a little overlong at times and I wonder if they felt obliged to focus more on character due to the higher profile cast. Still a thought provoking and worthwhile watch, definitely deserves another series where it might find its feet as a bigger beast.

On a sidenote, while I agree with others that San Junipero was a refreshing change of tack and the exceptional episode of the series, I also felt it missed some of the important issues surrounding uploading of consciousness, eg what happens 10,20 years down the line when the novelty of immortality starts to wear off, or 100 years down the line when the uploading company has gone bust or society breaks down. But then maybe that would have been too much in keeping with the usual bleak outlook of the series!

• Advertisement

strawdog wrote: »
    eg what happens 10,20 years down the line when the novelty of immortality starts to wear off, or 100 years down the line when the uploading company has gone bust or society breaks down. But then maybe that would have been too much in keeping with the usual bleak outlook of the series!
    They end up trying to get their kicks in the Quagmire with a sense of endless lethargy

Advertisement