Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 201: Lawler v Woodley

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Mellor wrote: »
    He didn;t sit out for 32 years like people keep saying.
    He has no presumption that he was getting a shot after beating Kelvin. He booked a title eliminator verses Hendricks, the winner was getting a fight verses the winner of Condit and Lawlor.

Should Woodley be punished because Hendricks missed weight?

In the time between Hendricks missing weight and Woodley’s title fight getting made, Thompson decisively thrashed Hendricks.

I’m not talking about Woodley getting punished for Hendricks missing weight; I’m saying it makes no sense to give a title shot to a guy who chose to sit out during a period since his opponent missed weight when another fighter was active and decimated that original opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Lawler via Submission
    Woodley campaigned for the shot on the basis of rankings and was uneasy seeing guys in other divisions jump the queue, Condit who he'd beat albeit controversially got the shot ahead of him too.

Gets shot, wins, doesn't pander to those in his previous situation after all his spouting.

Funny thing was the promo video for 201 had him as 3rd ranked fighter Maia in meantime jumped ahead of him he was 4th come fight time.

If GSP really wants Woodley we'll get that. Nick shouldn't get another undeserved shot, Nick and Robbie 2 is the fight to make for definate whatever happens elsewhere. Hope wonderboy gets Woodley and his time as champ is short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,127 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Foxtrol wrote: »
    In the time between Hendricks missing weight and Woodley’s title fight getting made, Thompson decisively thrashed Hendricks.

I'm aware, which is why I included Hendrick in WB's title shot evidence above. I also said that it deserved to go to either Woodley or WB. I'm not saying Woodley was a clear deserving choice.

Im saying that it was close between the two, and the Maia was way behind either. People saying Maia deserved it more than Woodley are exaggerating.

Even now, the shot its clearly Wonderboys's, Maia is on a tear, but he is number 2 contender. Similar situation with Max Holloway at FW. On a tear, and has done enough to get a shot in most scenarios, but he's just not next in line due to the lay of the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

it still baffles me to this day as to how woodley lost to jake shields or rather how woodley didn't beat shields quite easily
    has really blown hot and cold over his career but when he's on song he is lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

mailburner wrote: »
    it still baffles me to this day as to how woodley lost to jake shields or rather how woodley didn't beat shields quite easily
    has really blown hot and cold over his career but when he's on song he is lethal

Jake Shields is an incredible fighter who was only cut because the UFC didn't like his style. Has out grappled Maia and Dan Henderson and has plenty of impressive wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Lawler via Submission
    Jake shields is one of the best grapplers in mma history and has beaten pretty much everyone on the top 10 of the UFC Ww division at some stage. He wasn't cut because he wasn't good enough, he was cut because Dana doesn't give a **** who the best fighters are, jesus loves knockouts.

Lawler via Submission
    Shields was on a truckload if cash, all his wins in UFC were decisions and half were split ones. The Woodley and Kampmann fights he very much lost IMO and the wrong calls were made by them pesky judges, done for a diuretic during his time too. Great grappler no doubt hasn't done anything eyebrow raising for me in MMA since the Strikeforce days. Touched on this before mistreated could say that but a loss to UFC or the fans?...hardly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Fromvert wrote: »
    Jake Shields is an incredible fighter who was only cut because the UFC didn't like his style. Has out grappled Maia and Dan Henderson and has plenty of impressive wins.

felt woodley lost that because he didn't perform on the night, did serious damage with a few leg kicks but so few
    I was waiting on him to move up a gear but it never happened
    I thought at the time woodley had all the tools to take care of shields given I didn't think shields would get woodley down
    saying all that woodley fought the kind of fight that suited shields and even though he lost a bad decision I didn't feel bad for him

on another note I lost my arse backing woodley (and backing maia to beat shields lol)

• Advertisement

Lawler via Submission
    darced wrote: »

If it led somewhere intriguing perhaps but it didn't for him in the UFC it led to a chorus of boos and a decision.

Don't get me wrong the guy shouldn't have ended up jobless after what was a 4 fight win streak although he has his own test issues the guy he lost to was most likely on EVERYTHING! :rolleyes:

...No loss to me though :D

Advertisement