Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

rocky wrote: »
    Makes sense if the switch is in a different location to the NVR (e.g. in the attic), but - as in my case - cables already come from the cameras to a central location near the cable modem and NVR, I'll try make sure the NVR I get is PoE enabled and has the ports.

Ah good stuff thats handy for you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Makes sense if the switch is in a different location to the NVR (e.g. in the attic), but - as in my case - cables already come from the cameras to a central location near the cable modem and NVR, I'll try make sure the NVR I get is PoE enabled and has the ports.

On the official Dahua wesite specifications for NVR4108/4116-8P mentions "PoE: 8 ports (IEEE802.3at/af)" and drawings also show 8 PoE ports

So I guess there's various versions, maybe Chinese-market specific that are flashed with English firmware, "Mini" seems to be the one that has only 1 port and needs an additional switch - they have to cut costs somewhere to offer it cheaper.

Hi

I'm after an official international NVR
    http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr410441084116-4ks2-8211.html

can't figure out the difference in these 2 apart from badge or maybe the cheaper one a Chinese version with hacked firmware.
    I'm going to email the vendor

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DAHUA-Smart-1U-NVR-with-P2P-Mini-NVR-NVR4104-4KS2-NVR4108-4KS2-NVR4116-4KS2-free-DHL/1200032_32811523789.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.7ca76f61qBrA9e

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DAHUA-8-Channel-Smart-1U-4K-H-265-Network-Video-Recorder-without-Logo-NVR4108-4KS2-free/1200032_32838978941.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.7ca76f61qBrA9e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

The days of dis'ng Chinese 'stuff' are long gone...
    Please read reviews on the product your interested in and go by that..
    Especially on AliExpress. This is an exceptional online Chinese store, you will have no issues with value, you will have no issues with quality(according to reviews of said product)and you will have no issues with shipping(3 weeks minimum from China mainland)..
    The pride and eagerness to help and ensure happy customers is TRULY exceptional...
    I am speaking from years of experience..

One example I always put forward from many MANY examples is>> I use to sell electronic cigarettes, I was buying them from China 5 years ago for €7 and selling them on fir €15, ok I was quite happy with that wee 'side-line'..
    Exact same e-cigs were being sold in Newry for £45 and here in the South for €50..
    Most good stuff comes from China(originally and sometimes cloned, and visa-versa!)
    European vendors buy said products, they are run through laser machines and branded.
    C'mon we all know that, I just know that as fact......
    All I'm saying is read the reviews BELIEVE THEM and make your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

deckie27 wrote: »

That vendor comes as highly recommended on ipcamtalk forums.
    The days of dis'ng Chinese 'stuff' are long gone...
    Please read reviews on the product your interested in and go by that..
    Especially on AliExpress. This is an exceptional online Chinese store, you will have no issues with value, you will have no issues with quality(according to reviews of said product)and you will have no issues with shipping(3 weeks minimum from China mainland)..
    The pride and eagerness to help and ensure happy customers is TRULY exceptional...
    I am speaking from years of experience..

One example I always put forward from many MANY examples is>> I use to sell electronic cigarettes, I was buying them from China 5 years ago for €7 and selling them on fir €15, ok I was quite happy with that wee 'side-line'..
    Exact same e-cigs were being sold in Newry for £45 and here in the South for €50..
    Most good stuff comes from China(originally and sometimes cloned, and visa-versa!)
    European vendors buy said products, they are run through laser machines and branded.
    C'mon we all know that, I just know that as fact......
    All I'm saying is read the reviews BELIEVE THEM and make your choice.

Not sure you're sarcastic or you're picking up previous poster wrong, but in this case (Dahua cameras) there are Chinese-market camera models, which do not appear on Dahua's international website, are cheaper usually than the equivalent and can be disabled when running outside of China if Dahua so chooses.

my idea is to setup the nvr in attic out of the way..

After initial setup should i be able to remotely connect to NVR change settings download footage etc with a laptop?

I ask as I was shown a HDVCI system today which looked good but everything needed to be done directly on the DVR ( or an extension of the connection)

• Advertisement

deckie27 wrote: »
    my idea is to setup the nvr in attic out of the way..

After initial setup should i be able to remotely connect to NVR change settings download footage etc with a laptop?

I ask as I was shown a HDVCI system today which looked good but everything needed to be done directly on the DVR ( or an extension of the connection)

You can use plug and play wireless usb remote mouse. Or usb mouse with 3metre cord? Obviously connect HDMI from DVR to Monitor and your settings and videos will be easily altered/viewed on screen...

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Everest-SM-444-2-4Ghz-1200-DPI-Wireless-Mouse-plug-and-play-2-0-USB-connector-/272626959250?nav=SEARCH

I have no direct experience of the Dahua NVR, but a program called SmartPSS keeps being mentioned for PCs, see here in the list, I'd say that would do what you want.

There's also the option of Dahua's Android/iOS app

Thanks Lads

That vendor comes as highly recommended on ipcamtalk forums.

Not sure you're sarcastic or you're picking up previous poster wrong, but in this case (Dahua cameras) there are Chinese-market camera models, which do not appear on Dahua's international website, are cheaper usually than the equivalent and can be disabled when running outside of China if Dahua so chooses.

Ok got it..
    So these are generic camera with Dahua firmware... Which in theory makes them easily accessible to Dahua company.. Which makes them prone to being disabled by Dahua!?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

HERE
    Has anyone experience on this system, for sale considerably cheaper on pigs back.

• Advertisement

Folks, apologies if this has been asked before, but as this seems to be a bit of a general CCTV thread; I've a quick question that may seem silly but figured it was worth asking.

(For reference: I've had a kit for a while now with 4 cameras, but haven't actually installed it yet. Just made sure it was working, but then forgot about it as im doing other home improvements).

My plan is to install CCTV to the front (2 cams) and back (2 cams) of the house. My issue is the wiring.

An obvious idea is to install the cameras to the fascia/soffit, run the wires in through the attic, and send them into an upstairs bedroom (or spare room/office in my case) and then down in through the ceiling to the DVR. No real mess or fuss.

This works fine for me, except for one camera. I have a single storey extension at the back of the house, so i need to attach the camera to the extension itself, rather than the soffit of the original 2 storey house (as if i do that, all you'll be looking at is the roof of the extension).

Have I backed myself into a situation of having to pull down parts of the ceiling to run wiring? or is there an easy way out of this that I haven't figured out? I'm assuming (hoping!) there's an obvious workaround for not pulling walls and ceilings apart..?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Folks, apologies if this has been asked before, but as this seems to be a bit of a general CCTV thread; I've a quick question that may seem silly but figured it was worth asking.

(For reference: I've had a kit for a while now with 4 cameras, but haven't actually installed it yet. Just made sure it was working, but then forgot about it as im doing other home improvements).

My plan is to install CCTV to the front (2 cams) and back (2 cams) of the house. My issue is the wiring.

An obvious idea is to install the cameras to the fascia/soffit, run the wires in through the attic, and send them into an upstairs bedroom (or spare room/office in my case) and then down in through the ceiling to the DVR. No real mess or fuss.

This works fine for me, except for one camera. I have a single storey extension at the back of the house, so i need to attach the camera to the extension itself, rather than the soffit of the original 2 storey house (as if i do that, all you'll be looking at is the roof of the extension).

Have I backed myself into a situation of having to pull down parts of the ceiling to run wiring? or is there an easy way out of this that I haven't figured out? I'm assuming (hoping!) there's an obvious workaround for not pulling walls and ceilings apart..?

Cheers.
    What kind of cameras have you? If they are POE, you could use powerline adapters to bring you network across the house over your electrical sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Cheers.

Depends on the Cameras, but in reality it will be down to the cabling to be used. For the single storey extension you could use outdoor rated cabling and run it tight to the extension and back to the attic of the 2 storey. Or if you had access to the single storey extension roof space, but doubt it. For the 2 storey just use fish wire to feed the cabling into the attic then route it to the final position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Slightly unusual setup here, but I've just after got this kit https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/grade-a1-electriq-4-channel-hd-1080p-wireless-network-video-recorder-with-4-x-1080p-cameras-1tb-hard-drive-774367761tl-v6e440w1tb with the aim to use it as a calving camera system on my farm.

Only issue is range, I've one shed at the side. Funny enough this shed has its own WiFi (I've a 4g router there and send Internet to the house here using a nanostation from it). Anyways 2 questions, those cameras are ip wifi cameras, should I be able to link in directly to one, and use it purely as an ip camera, without the dvr (link it to the 4g router basically). Otherwise, if I get 2 directional WiFi antennas, and connect one to the dvr and other to that WiFi camera (using the rp sma connectors). I would assume they work over the normal WiFi frequency range for the antenna?

Or am I making a total hash of this job and just need to get a separate ip camera for that shed ha?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Slightly unusual setup here, but I've just after got this kit https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/grade-a1-electriq-4-channel-hd-1080p-wireless-network-video-recorder-with-4-x-1080p-cameras-1tb-hard-drive-774367761tl-v6e440w1tb with the aim to use it as a calving camera system on my farm.

Only issue is range, I've one shed at the side. Funny enough this shed has its own WiFi (I've a 4g router there and send Internet to the house here using a nanostation from it). Anyways 2 questions, those cameras are ip wifi cameras, should I be able to link in directly to one, and use it purely as an ip camera, without the dvr (link it to the 4g router basically). Otherwise, if I get 2 directional WiFi antennas, and connect one to the dvr and other to that WiFi camera (using the rp sma connectors). I would assume they work over the normal WiFi frequency range for the antenna?

Or am I making a total hash of this job and just need to get a separate ip camera for that shed ha?

you don't need a dvr to be honest if all you need to do is view the sheds. A few cameras connected to the router would work. I found the wifi cameras to be a disaster so I always go wired (dropping signal and not reconnecting until a reboot happened). You should have went POE ip cameras and then you could run cat 5/6 to power and connect the cameras from your router.Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

you don't need a dvr to be honest if all you need to do is view the sheds. A few cameras connected to the router would work. I found the wifi cameras to be a disaster so I always go wired (dropping signal and not reconnecting until a reboot happened). You should have went POE ip cameras and then you could run cat 5/6 to power and connect the cameras from your router.Just my opinion

Agreed to a point, however 2 of the cameras I'm going to use as actual cctv, the full kit worked out not much more than buying all individually. I wrongly assumed all the cameras were all individual ip cameras, instead they are all linked specifically to the dvr wifi only.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Agreed to a point, however 2 of the cameras I'm going to use as actual cctv, the full kit worked out not much more than buying all individually. I wrongly assumed all the cameras were all individual ip cameras, instead they are all linked specifically to the dvr wifi only.

TBH, I don't even know what make this is and just wifi. I wouldn't buy them but they may be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Steven87

Hi I'm new to this I got a cctv system 4 cams . Want to install 2 front 2 back. In through the attic looking to bring rgb or HDMI down to bedroom for viewing and also downstairs to kitchen what is recommended RGB or HDMI and what length would be needed roughly thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Have any of you dealt with this company https://www.cctvsuppliersuk.co.uk/collections/cctv-kits-1

Also wondering about extending broadband 100 m to farm buildings. What have you used and what would you recommend ?

Thanks

brownswiss wrote: »
    Have any of you dealt with this company https://www.cctvsuppliersuk.co.uk/collections/cctv-kits-1

Also wondering about extending broadband 100 m to farm buildings. What have you used and what would you recommend ?

Thanks

Powerline adapters if you are on the one electric board would be an easy option. Another option run cable and use additional routers etc. A cheap wireless option is TP Link CPE and they are very reliable.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-CPE510-Outdoor-Centralized-Management/dp/B00N3SW7X4

Loads of options really depending on how you are set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I assume that everyone on this forum would recommend IP Cameras and an NVR over a Nest Cam setup.......?
    Benefit of Nest is that it integrates into an automated system with Alexa, hue etc so that you can ultimately automate your environment and save to the cloud etc rather than locally.....?

Interested in people’s opinions....?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

ctlsleh wrote: »
    I assume that everyone on this forum would recommend IP Cameras and an NVR over a Nest Cam setup.......?
    Benefit of Nest is that it integrates into an automated system with Alexa, hue etc so that you can ultimately automate your environment and save to the cloud etc rather than locally.....?

Interested in people’s opinions....?

It depends what your requirements are.

A Nest camera is fine but it's a consumer grade product and I wouldn't rely on it for security.

Personally I'd never get a Nest camera. I don't want my footage in the cloud nor do I want integration for Home Automation.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭daludo

Hi all
    Could someone recommend a cctv system for my home please, something I can install myself. 2 cams with the option of adding 2 more,doesn't matter if dome type or bullet, 25 mtr night vision range. If it comes with its own plug and play cables well and good but I can wire myself also.Must have access via Internet app also.Budget around €280

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thedubs1

Giga media 4camera and 1TB DVR 320 euro in kellehers

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I bought a few months ago a Kare 4 cam system, 720p, PoE and now I'm looking at replacing it, because although cheap, it doesn't really work that great. I'm looking at getting separate cameras and NVR, Dahua Starlight series (only 2MP, but great night quality) are well regarded.

I only ever connected 1 of the 4 Kare cameras, and now that camera failed so I replaced it with another unused one (2 more spares to go :).

I guess if you want cheapest, the ANNKE system posted above is alright, but that's an analog system (through coax cable, and not Ethernet. I'd have my doubts about the 1080p claims. Yes the output file will have that resolution, but is the level of detail on par?)

What I also found less than ideal on the Kare system was that all cameras came with 3.6mm lenses, which results in a FOV of maybe 55-60 degrees, whereas the 1 Dahua cam I got has a FOV of 101 degrees, meaning it covers both sides of the house. With large FOV comes the drawback of not being able to identify faces (more area crammed in the same pixels, so less detail) but tbh for now I care more about all corners and entries of the house being covered than I am about identifying faces.

Thinking of getting this entry-level NVR along with this varifocal lens to cover the front of the house properly.

Keep in mind with Chinese brands (like ANNKE, Kare, Dahua etc) there are more security concerns, but if the worse it can happen is someone on the other side of the globe looks in my back garden, I'm ok with that. When you setup the cameras, make sure they don't have internet access (separate subnet, VLAN etc).

So I started with a kit like many here, and now I'm looking to upgrade it piece by piece with more performant components.

A good source of info I found to be the forums at ipcamtalk.com
    Hi rocky,

Going back a while, the  Dahua camera have an option of 2.8mm, 3.6mm. 6mm lens. Which would be the best for a static camera looking onto a front driveway? For a wider angle, I'm thinking 2.8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭daludo

thedubs1 wrote: »
    Giga media 4camera and 1TB DVR 320 euro in kellehers
    Thanks for that!! Does it come with app access also?

batman2000 wrote: »
    Hi rocky,

Going back a while, the  Dahua camera have an option of 2.8mm, 3.6mm. 6mm lens. Which would be the best for a static camera looking onto a front driveway? For a wider angle, I'm thinking 2.8mm

Yes, the lower the focal length, the wider the angle. I think focal length and sensor size gives you the angle of view, so for 2 cameras with the same 2.8mm focal length, the larger sensor will give a wider angle.

That's not to say wider is always better, for example if the wider camera covers the street, neighbours and sky, there'll be less pixels for your driveway. Try look for an estimate angle of view for the particular camera you're looking for, they normally have a picture for the differing focal lengths - how accurate that is I don't know.

Something like:

242958_1.jpg

Or if you're not sure, pay slightly more for a varifocal lens camera where you can change the zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thedubs1

daludo wrote: »
    Thanks for that!! Does it come with app access also?

Sure does

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all have some cameras but the quality seems to have deteriorated.

They are Sony chip 720p. Wired and on coax.

I have a box with 1tb storage but it isn't he so I want to get hd compatible and also replace some cameras for 1080p.

What are a decent one to go for and will give good picture and possible ability of zooming in on a recording.

Are hikvision a good option??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Hi

Ive owned an aldi tevion video camera/receiver (see link below) for several years and it was connected to the main TV and worked fine, but the interference from WiFi has become too much now and the picture has become very blurry to the point of not been able to recognise a persons face at my front door.

Would anyone be able to recommend a discreet indoor camera pointing out a window. I could run a coaxial cable to it if needed.
    Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

https://www.amazon.de/Tevion-%C3%9Cberwachungskamera-Infrarot-Security-FR-W304C/dp/B00QC9O3TC?language=en_GB

That's the best link I could find.

Advertisement