Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

I think there is an option to only have the cameras record when they actually sense movement, but I rarely trust this kinda system, so.. i'd rather leave mine on all the time, given the choice. (though I'm unsure how many hours of footage i can actually store if i have all 4 cams going at the same time on a constant basis).

I bought this one last year;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FU7ICEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 4 cameras running, recording 24 hours a day and with 1TB storage, it keeps about 8 days I think. I have it set so it 'alarms' when it senses movement. just means during playback, you can see on the timeline when movement was detected. but I have a dog, and the trees move in the wind, and the sun going in and out behind the clouds trigger the motion sensor because the shade moves across the picture.
    But because you can select on the timeline, what to view, it does narrow down having to go through 24 hours on playback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I bought this one last year;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FU7ICEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 4 cameras running, recording 24 hours a day and with 1TB storage, it keeps about 8 days I think. I have it set so it 'alarms' when it senses movement. just means during playback, you can see on the timeline when movement was detected. but I have a dog, and the trees move in the wind, and the sun going in and out behind the clouds trigger the motion sensor because the shade moves across the picture.
    But because you can select on the timeline, what to view, it does narrow down having to go through 24 hours on playback.

8 days on a tbhd???? Thats low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

alta stare wrote: »
    8 days on a tbhd???? Thats low.

I kinda came up with similar for my 1Tb.
    It has to do with fps(frames per second)and stuff :)

Ah yeah i know what fps is im surprised the days recorded are that low. Surely ye havent got the DVR recording continuously on full frame rates and high resolutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Its better to have the frame rates higher than low same with the quility.
    2 weeks of crap or one week of good.
    I know which Id choose :D

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    Its better to have the frame rates higher than low same with the quility.
    2 weeks of crap or one week of good.
    I know which Id choose :D

I would have it set up to record at a decent fps on continuous and high fps for motion or event. Doing that creates more days on the schedule.

I would have it set up to record at a decent fps on continuous and high fps for motion or event. Doing that creates more days on the schedule.

Id just spec a HDD to suffice on the job.

Id just spec a HDD to suffice on the job.

Of course if that was an option then it would make sense but sometimes for people it isnt an option so therefore having it set up correctly can be beneficial in gaining more days in the recording schedule.

Of course if that was an option then it would make sense but sometimes for people it isnt an option so therefore having it set up correctly can be beneficial in gaining more days in the recording schedule.

If your selling a new unit then most will go for the bigger drive once explained.
    Each to there own I suppose.

If your selling a new unit then most will go for the bigger drive once explained.
    Each to there own I suppose.

Again yes if that is an option for whoever is buying at the time, and as you know surveillance drives arent cheap so i would say the average domestic cctv system wont want to go above 1tb due to funds.

The post i quoted mentioned having a 1 tbhd and i still believe (and have set up) adjusting a few things can extend the amount of recording days.

• Advertisement

Again yes if that is an option for whoever is buying at the time, and as you know surveillance drives arent cheap so i would say the average domestic cctv system wont want to go above 1tb due to funds.

The post i quoted mentioned having a 1 tbhd and i am still believe (and have set up) adjusting a few things can extend the amount of recording days.

You would be surprised at the price of a 2TB surveillance drive with a 4 channel HD dvr then.

Anyway, that my opinion.

You would be surprised at the price of a 2TB surveillance drive with a 4 channel HD dvr then.

Anyway, that my opinion.

I know what they cost i install them almost every day.

Anyway not to go back and forth all my point is this,

if a person is spending money and has a budget of say 50 euro but they have been told they could get an add on for 80 euro but dont really need said add on then i bet they just go and spend the 50 and keep the 30 for something nice :D

I know what they cost i install them almost every day.

Anyway not to go back and forth all my point is this,

if a person is spending money and has a budget of say 50 euro but they have been told they could get an add on for 80 euro but dont really need said add on then i bet they just go and spend the 50 and keep the 30 for something nice :D

Sounds like good value to me.

Sounds like good value to me.

To you maybe but are you always that presumptuous toward what a potential customer may think?

To you maybe but are you always that presumptuous toward what a potential customer may think?

Presumptuous :D

Like I said, each to there own.

Presumptuous :D

Like I said, each to there own.

Yep presumptuous, such a good word.

Yep presumptuous, such a good word.

It sure is :D

It sure is :D

Maybe we could do a word of the day sub thread on the Home Security Systems thread it might lighten the place up a bit. There is so much bickering going on, sometimes its better to sit back and watch it all unfold.....probably the reason why i barely post here :D

Maybe we could do a word of the day sub thread on the Home Security Systems thread it might lighten the place up a bit. There is so much bickering going on, sometimes its better to sit back and watch it all unfold.....probably the reason why i barely post here :D

Or just except some one else has a different opinion.
    That's where most of it comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Hi Lads

Being doing alot of reading came with list below to start a self install

Thinking of the items below

nvr 4108 aliexpress 123 dollar
    hdd 4tb wd purple 119 stg
    camera dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z 170 dollar
    poe switch 8 ports. not settled 100ish euro

apart from a bit of cat5 and a few connectors a holder for camera am I missing anything

Going for a variable lens for a start to learn and figure out what lens I want then get a few more fixed lens HDW4231EM-ASE

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Or just except some one else has a different opinion.
    That's where most of it comes from.

Indeed to a certain extent before it goes back and forth between the usual culprits. Oh look we are doing it now....kind of.......surely there is a common denominator in all these derailed threads :p:D

Indeed to a certain extent before it goes back and forth between the usual culprits. Oh look we are doing it now....kind of.......surely there is a common denominator in all these derailed threads :p:D

There sure is and it's call an opinion.
    Right or wrong we are all entitled to have one.

deckie27 wrote: »
    Hi Lads

apart from a bit of cat5 and a few connectors a holder for camera am I missing anything

Going for a variable lens for a start to learn and figure out what lens I want then get a few more fixed lens HDW4231EM-ASE

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

If your going to spend all that money I'd buy it in a wholesalers here.
    If you have any issues it easier to return.
    From your list you seem to have everything covered apart from a monitor.

Have a look on YouTube, they have loads of good videos which cover different type cameres and the different lens available.
    Might give you a better insight before you do buy.

There sure is and it's call an opinion.
    Right or wrong we are all entitled to have one.

:D such a philosopher, fair play.

:D such a philosopher, fair play.

Are you looking to become one of these usual suspects you talk of :p:D

Are you looking to become one of these usual suspects you talk of :p:D

No definitely not i dont have time nor the interest to argue all the time with strangers on the internet. You must admit tho it is a pity the arguing/point scoring happens too much it can take away from the good side of the forum, sometimes this place is like the soccer forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

deckie27 wrote: »
    Hi Lads

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

That's the NVR I plan to get, I think it's already PoE (or make sure you get the PoE version) so you don't need the switch, cameras connect straight into the NVR.

Looking some more into this NVR, most pictures have it with 1 Ethernet port, this will presumably need the switch you outlined, but this link shows it with 4 Ethernet ports but no Dahua Logo on the actual product (except the stock first image) :confused:

rocky wrote: »
    That's the NVR I plan to get, I think it's already PoE (or make sure you get the PoE version) so you don't need the switch, cameras connect straight into the NVR.

Could also use the switch for poe and just send one link cable back to the dvr from the switch, saves having to wire all cables back to the dvr.

• Advertisement

Could also use the switch for poe and just send one link cable back to the dvr from the switch, saves having to wire all cables back to the dvr.

Makes sense if the switch is in a different location to the NVR (e.g. in the attic), but - as in my case - cables already come from the cameras to a central location near the cable modem and NVR, I'll try make sure the NVR I get is PoE enabled and has the ports.

On the official Dahua wesite specifications for NVR4108/4116-8P mentions "PoE: 8 ports (IEEE802.3at/af)" and drawings also show 8 PoE ports

So I guess there's various versions, maybe Chinese-market specific that are flashed with English firmware, "Mini" seems to be the one that has only 1 port and needs an additional switch - they have to cut costs somewhere to offer it cheaper.

Advertisement