Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Any footage of night recording

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭reggaeman

Phil.x wrote: »
    Any footage of night recording

This is the link.
    Night View: http://youtu.be/C6o9PCLljJo

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eoinsie74

Hey I wonder if someone could advise me on what to buy for a box room internal windowsill looking out onto a roadway for monitoring my car security. Preferably 2 camera view.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

eoinsie74 wrote: »
    Hey I wonder if someone could advise me on what to buy for a box room internal windowsill looking out onto a roadway for monitoring my car security. Preferably 2 camera view.
    Thanks in advance

Be aware if you get a camera with Night vision (Infrared) this will reflect of the inside of the window and you will see nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eoinsie74

Be aware if you get a camera with Night vision (Infrared) this will reflect of the inside of the window and you will see nothing.

Excuse my ignorance. If I were to have the camera tilted so it's looking from an upstairs Ariel view at an angle down through the glass would that make a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

No it would not make a difference, also if cameras are mounted too high you have no hope of identifying any culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Not at all. Just tell us what you want and we can point you in the right direction. The amount of rip-off that's out there is unbelievable.

It can turn on your lights, boil a kettle and you can watch this all happening two thousand miles away from home.

Google the Raspberry PI. It's the most amazing piece of equipment designed since the original IBM PC. It's aimed at the educational sector but believe me it can do everything you want and more. You're only limited by your imagination. And your child can program it too.
    . Can you please point me in the direction of a cctv equipment that I can use in my stables which are about 100 m from the house with line of sight. I have been quoted €750 just to send the internet from the house to the stables.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

brownswiss wrote: »
    . Can you please point me in the direction of a cctv equipment that I can use in my stables which are about 100 m from the house with line of sight. I have been quoted €750 just to send the internet from the house to the stables.

Thanks

HIK Vision do a really good range of cctv equipment. The distance over coax would be fine so no issue there, maybe thats an option.

Price would be dependant on many things ie supplier, amount of cameras needed, type of DVR etc. Then factor in the time to do the install and you will see where the cost will add up.

You could of course buy cheap.....and end up replacing it in a years time because it has failed or it is no longer up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Lads, what do you think of this setup? It's similar to the one in the OP.

KARE CCTV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Passenger wrote: »
    Lads, what do you think of this setup? It's similar to the one in the OP.

KARE CCTV

No hard drive with it and the cameras are only 1.3mp which in this day and age isnt great. I didnt see in the description what mm the cameras lens are and that is an important spec to know.

It might very well do what you want so by all means buy it if you so wish. I do come across these systems quite frequently and its usually when we are replacing them with a better system.

Edit; i checked the spec again and seen the lens are 3.6mm. Not overally wide. 3.6mm is good for covering doors, porches etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

alta stare wrote: »
    No hard drive with it and the cameras are only 1.3mp which in this day and age isnt great. I didnt see in the description what mm the cameras lens are and that is an important spec to know.

It might very well do what you want so by all means buy it if you so wish. I do come across these systems quite frequently and its usually when we are replacing them with a better system.

Edit; i checked the spec again and seen the lens are 3.6mm. Not overally wide. 3.6mm is good for covering doors, porches etc.

Okay, very good. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

brownswiss wrote: »

Did you buy from them?

I'm looking for a good system for at home. Needs to be minimum 1080p POE with access via android.

Did you buy from them?

I'm looking for a good system for at home. Needs to be minimum 1080p POE with access via android.

Did not buy yet... I also thought I needed 1080 but now I am being told I might actually get a better video with less as we do not have good broadband in our area

From one of the links on cctv..."The Catch

The 1080p image has twice the detail of the 720p image (2MP vs. 1MP) but at a cost. 1080p cameras consume twice as much network bandwidth and storage. In other words, streaming remotely via the internet will be twice as slow, and your storage will fill up twice as fast. If image quality and detail is of utmost importance, then 1080p cameras are the way to go. However, if you're not covering a large area, you may be better off using a 720p camera. "

What is your broadband speed at home brown?

I don't think it should be an issue for me. Hard drives are also very cheap so a 2TB drive should be fine for my needs.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 3268 kbps (408.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 989 kbps (123.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 83 ms
    Jitter: 92 ms
    19/07/2017, 14:14:32

Fastcom is my provider and I am probably too far from their transmitter

Yeah that's going to be tough to stream live video over. Maybe at about 5 FPS you might get a steady stream of 720p. Maybe check if the NVR/DVR can stream at lower quality or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Reid

Lads I'm looking from a cctv setup for my house.
    I need one that can see in the night.
    Any idea of models costs etc much appreciated

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have you a budget in mind?
    Any HIKVision stuff you wont go far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Reid

KoolKid wrote: »
    Have you a budget in mind?
    Any HIKVision stuff you wont go far wrong.

300 budget

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Is this any good?

Is it just what the OP posted but with 4 cameras instead of 2?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UPGRADED-KARE-Waterproof-Mega-Pixels-Vandal-Proof-x/dp/B00K8RE9T8/ref=pd_sim_23_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KTTJ7Y00NRX37K60QZDA

Looking to get something like this, but would like 2 cameras for front of the house (one either side, facing in opposite directions) and one at the rear (so figure i can use the 4th camera as a backup/replacement if one of the others is damaged or faulty or such).

What's throwing me off is that the one i link looks identical, but specifically mentions they're 1.3mp, whereas the OPs doesnt say (but the quality of his videos looks good).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Is this any good?

Is it just what the OP posted but with 4 cameras instead of 2?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UPGRADED-KARE-Waterproof-Mega-Pixels-Vandal-Proof-x/dp/B00K8RE9T8/ref=pd_sim_23_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KTTJ7Y00NRX37K60QZDA

Looking to get something like this, but would like 2 cameras for front of the house (one either side, facing in opposite directions) and one at the rear (so figure i can use the 4th camera as a backup/replacement if one of the others is damaged or faulty or such).

What's throwing me off is that the one i link looks identical, but specifically mentions they're 1.3mp, whereas the OPs doesnt say (but the quality of his videos looks good).

I not so sure . this one records in 720p only . If cameras are high up , you may not get clear viewing especially after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

I not so sure . this one records in 720p only . If cameras are high up , you may not get clear viewing especially after dark.

Only 1.3 MP cameras, your link is a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fabarm

Just wondering can anyone advise please.
    Have a CCTV set up at home no problem - DIY job from Maplins with remote viewing by cable into my landline/ADSL modem.

I want to install a similar system in a shed I have (miles from the house) - have power but no landline & the query is what is the simplest/cheapest way to get internet access for the DVR for remote viewing ?
    Data used would be minimal in a month but dongle/modem whatever would need a UPS etc. Also heard something about needing a static IP address.

Thanks

The DVR usually connects to a Router which has access to the internet. So you could use one of these http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-broadband/vodafone-4g-router-cat-6-bill-pay for remote access. Connect the DVR to it.

After that the setup is the same as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

The DVR usually connects to a Router which has access to the internet. So you could use one of these http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-broadband/vodafone-4g-router-cat-6-bill-pay for remote access. Connect the DVR to it.

After that the setup is the same as before.

there might be a catch thou since in some cases router might need to support port forwarding depending on what router and whos your isp that might be trouble, but if say camera company has special app to view it online it might not need to use portforwarding.

in other words port forwarding allows to use your home network for remote access such as NAS or hosting sites etc.

have single ip cam of amazon wansview that connects directly to wireless, gotten it for 30e and quality is same as in OPs clip basically if you need clear image from 720p it has to be really close to entrance under doorway to get the details, even thou have mine pointed to the street, faces number plates would be blurred enough that it would be hard to identify. Since most would recommend distance of about 25 feet at most to get best quality.

but seeing price of 2cams and dvr +1tb hd seems really good deal,if properly mounted its more then enough to get decent coverage.

only other way is to get NAS and few ip cams but that would run one easily triple the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

I have an old home cctv system that I installed 7 years ago and I want to upgrade it. I currently have 7x cameras attached. In the meantime, I updated to weatherproof cat-6 cable and baluns to connect to the cameras/dvr about 3-4 years ago from coax so that's a plus. I am looking to upgrade to the latest technology as I can only record two channels in D1 and the rest in CIF and its basically outdated although it has served well for live remote viewing etc.

I am torn between NVR/DVR technology and my decision to use the cat-6 cable gives me the choice as I understand.

A hybrid DVR system has the advantage of being able to replace my cameras in ones but the technology may be on the way out and it might mean replacing everything again in a few years when AHD cameras are no longer available.

I have looked at a few makes and would like any thoughts on them and whether they are good (worth the money). I'm open to suggestions and buying locally if possible. I've not really set a budget as I will pay extra if I think that a product is value over a cheaper model but with cameras I don't want to go beyond about €750 if I can. If I go the DVR route, I will be adding the cameras gradually so I could go a bit more in that scenario.

HikVision

https://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/hikvision-4-channel-tvi-dvr-3mp-1080p-ds-7208huhi-f1-n.html

https://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/hikvision-8-channel-nvr-with-8xpoe-ds-7608ni-e2-8p-a.html

Xvision

https://www.hdcctv.co.uk/products/ahd-cctv/ahd-cctv-dvrs-digital-video-recorders-1080p-high-definition/ahd-2-0-8-channel-1080p-dvr-xhr1080d8.html

https://www.hdcctv.co.uk/products/hd-ip-cctv-security-cameras-nvrs/hd-ip-nvrs-network-video-recorders-1080p-4-megapixel-poe/hd-ip-professional-8-camera-poe-network-video-recorder-k-x2r8n.html

Looking online, it seems that I could have UTC (Up the coax control) as that allows control of settings from the armchair, but not really interested in PTZ as this will not be actively monitored. I would like good recording bandwidth as I think that seems to be an indicator of good overall DVR/NVR quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Panrich wrote: »
    I have an old home cctv system that I installed 7 years ago and I want to upgrade it. I currently have 7x cameras attached. In the meantime, I updated to weatherproof cat-6 cable and baluns to connect to the cameras/dvr about 3-4 years ago from coax so that's a plus. I am looking to upgrade to the latest technology as I can only record two channels in D1 and the rest in CIF and its basically outdated although it has served well for live remote viewing etc.

I am torn between NVR/DVR technology and my decision to use the cat-6 cable gives me the choice as I understand.

A hybrid DVR system has the advantage of being able to replace my cameras in ones but the technology may be on the way out and it might mean replacing everything again in a few years when AHD cameras are no longer available.

I have looked at a few makes and would like any thoughts on them and whether they are good (worth the money). I'm open to suggestions and buying locally if possible. I've not really set a budget as I will pay extra if I think that a product is value over a cheaper model but with cameras I don't want to go beyond about €750 if I can. If I go the DVR route, I will be adding the cameras gradually so I could go a bit more in that scenario.

HikVision

https://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/hikvision-4-channel-tvi-dvr-3mp-1080p-ds-7208huhi-f1-n.html

https://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/hikvision-8-channel-nvr-with-8xpoe-ds-7608ni-e2-8p-a.html

Xvision

https://www.hdcctv.co.uk/products/ahd-cctv/ahd-cctv-dvrs-digital-video-recorders-1080p-high-definition/ahd-2-0-8-channel-1080p-dvr-xhr1080d8.html

https://www.hdcctv.co.uk/products/hd-ip-cctv-security-cameras-nvrs/hd-ip-nvrs-network-video-recorders-1080p-4-megapixel-poe/hd-ip-professional-8-camera-poe-network-video-recorder-k-x2r8n.html

Looking online, it seems that I could have UTC (Up the coax control) as that allows control of settings from the armchair, but not really interested in PTZ as this will not be actively monitored. I would like good recording bandwidth as I think that seems to be an indicator of good overall DVR/NVR quality.

Cant fault the HIK Vision gear.
    They are also hybrid meaning you have the option of analog and HD cameras for replacing as needs be.

Advertisement