Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waggle your 'Joystick' - Post your 3Dmark Scores here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

You may have just lost out in the silicon lottery. No need to go above 4.5GHz anyway though :O Standard guides should apply just the same for the MSI board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i just enabled gaming overclock mode in the bios and its at 4.4 so thats ok i guess, problem is i cant enable my xmp profile with that on :( and my ram is rated for 3200mhz, is manually overclocking ram easy?

must sat the arctic freezer 240 is a hell of a cooler, at 4.4 its at 40-50c in prime95 blend test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yea just enter the settings you want/its capable of in the bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

lads are there any good guides for overclocking a 6700k on a msi board? tried just changing the ratio but the second i go to 4.6 i need voltages higher than 1.35 :(

Mine us the same, if i want to go for 4,7 need to set up voltage to 1.4. But it overheats to 80 degrees in prime95. Left mine on 4.5 at 1.28 voltage. Temps around 60-68 in prime, gaming around 50-55. Was very unlucky when i was buying it, was getting 2,second went to my brother, his is working on 4.8 with 1.35 voltage :) and he turns his pc like once a week to watch movie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

twinsen wrote: »
    Mine us the same, if i want to go for 4,7 need to set up voltage to 1.4. But it overheats to 80 degrees in prime95. Left mine on 4.5 at 1.28 voltage. Temps around 60-68 in prime, gaming around 50-55. Was very unlucky when i was buying it, was getting 2,second went to my brother, his is working on 4.8 with 1.35 voltage :) and he turns his pc like once a week to watch movie

Switch them some night when hes in bed:)

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Switch them some night when hes in bed:)

He is about 2000km away:)

they should start putting some sort of a rating on cpus so that you can spend a bit more for a proper overclocking chip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

He is about 2000km away:)

Road trip time!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

they should start putting some sort of a rating on cpus so that you can spend a bit more for a proper overclocking chip

You mean like sticking a "K" at the end of them? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i was going to say it but figured he had to be having a laugh..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Nah, that would be too short

For clarity

i5 4690k could change to i54690mightoverclockto4.6ghzorhigherdependingonyoursetupandcoolingandhowthewindisblowingandorifyougotluckyinthesiliconlottery.

Something like that should spell it out clearly enough for most. Might be a pita to get it all on the top of the CPU, solution, lets make them bigger again. Make the customer feel he is getting more for his buck.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Nah, that would be too short

For clarity

i5 4690k could change to i54690mightoverclockto4.6ghzorhigherdependingonyoursetupandcoolingandhowthewindisblowingandorifyougotluckyinthesiliconlottery.

Something like that should spell it out clearly enough for most. Might be a pita to get it all on the top of the CPU, solution, lets make them bigger again. Make the customer feel he is getting more for his buck.

This would just lead to higher prices. Overclockers.co.uk were doing it some time ago, best clocking chips were going for 150£ more than the others.
    You don't want Intel to start doing this, their cpu's are already expensive as hell.

This would just lead to higher prices. Overclockers.co.uk were doing it some time ago, best clocking chips were going for 150£ more than the others.
    You don't want Intel to start doing this, their cpu's are already expensive as hell.

true enough haha the "k" though is a very broad "might be able to overclock who knows we certainly dont but sure try it anyway" sort of moniker, youd think the industry would try to put a minimum quality test on "overclockable" CPU's particularly as the whole intel k line is there for that exact reason

My new best in dx11
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14078553?
    it is absolute max I can do with aircooling with 980ti and 6700k. If only wife would approve 1080 and watercooling....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

My new best in dx11
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14078553?
    it is absolute max I can do with aircooling with 980ti and 6700k. If only wife would approve 1080 and watercooling....

Wow. Thats a good overclock. cant get above 15210 on a 980ti with xeon1231

cursai wrote: »
    Wow. Thats a good overclock. cant get above 15210 on a 980ti with xeon1231
    You ram runs only at 1600, see if it has xps profile for higher clockings, I am sure if it would run at 1866 you would get few points more. Not sure sure if you can oc your cpu, as it seems you have h97 motherboard

You ram runs only at 1600, see if it has xps profile for higher clockings, I am sure if it would run at 1866 you would get few points more. Not sure sure if you can oc your cpu, as it seems you have h97 motherboard

Asrock fatality mobo. Ram is set AFAIK. ....

One good thing for you is you got a Z170 motherboard so just look up the bios to allow overclocking of a non k chip and do a overclock on the chip.
    dinnybyrne wrote: »
    i did it with the stock cooler for the tests, wouldnt leave it running with that overclock on a stock cooler.
    Ordered a better cooler today for 30 quid on amazon.
    you should be safe to go 3.9ghz on your stock cooler, i was running it for days like that.

new cpu cooler fitted. 6500 now running at 4.48Ghz, appears to be stable, currently running a stress test to be sure, but if that clears will run a benchmark again. have to say the lack of a temp readback is a little worrying...my pre oc temps were 25c at idle so i know the cooling is up to the task but would still like the certainty of a number

also, have memory running at 2600, it;s only 2400, anything to worry about?

overclock1_zpsyt5uqags.png

system seemed stable, so ran firestrike. cpu overclock took me from 12918 at stock to 13538 currently. this is with the gpu still running as it came out of the box.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14118082

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Since you have the CPU overclocked next on the list is the GPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

mossym wrote:
    system seemed stable, so ran firestrike. cpu overclock took me from 12918 at stock to 13538 currently. this is with the gpu still running as it came out of the box.

Getting there, GPU over clock next.....
    Download hwinfo it will give you a reading of the CPU temp when oveeclocked. RAM should be Ok to 1600 or there abouts

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9859257

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT!!!

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9859257

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT!!!
    Nice clocks on that gpu. What model is it?

Nice clocks on that gpu. What model is it?

Asus strix 6gb oc dc iii
    Tis a great yoke. Very cool. Never seen it go above 73c only then on battlefield running at 4k

Asus strix 6gb oc dc iii
    Tis a great yoke. Very cool. Never seen it go above 73c only then on battlefield running at 4k
    My msi 980ti goes all the way to 82c :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My msi 980ti goes all the way to 82c :(

Dual-fan?
    That doesn't sound right, it should be in the low-70s.

Is the card able to get fresh cool air?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

dunworth1 wrote: »

I'll willing to bet your oc'd didn't sit back and put it's feet up either.:p

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Dual-fan?
    That doesn't sound right, it should be in the low-70s.

Is the card able to get fresh cool air?

Its overclocked. On standard clocks i get low 70c temps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

First post should be a leaderboard. :P

Advertisement