Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter permanently suspends Milo Yiannopoulos over row with 'Ghostbusters' actress

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Billy86 wrote: »
    You do realise those were all reportedly fake tweets attributed to her, which is apparently part of the reason she left?

I don't think any of those tweets are fake. The fake ones were over the top offensive about gassing gay people. Tbf, people are trying to recast her as some sort of SJW purely because she was in Ghostbusters. She's a comedian and she's tweeted a few risqué things. Big swinging mickey, name me a comedian that hasn't. It's not in any way comparable to the the torrent of abuse that she was getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

How does this professional attention-seeker get to describe his muppetry as 'conservative' without being called out on it?

I thought being conservative would include modesty, decorum, treating people with respect, good manners, an aversion ostentatious language/behaviour etc?

Milo Yappynappyass is the antithesis of the above.

Conservatism is also the ideology which that Breitshart site he writes for espouses, i.e. free markets, closed borders, continuing the War on Drugs (as long as it fucks over brown people, of course), One Nation Under God (but not that "Allah" fucker!) etc.

Plus, those things you listed didn't exactly stop the likes of conservative pundits like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck declaring themselves as such. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Any racial abuse towards her is a disgrace.

I still don't think that should detract from just what a shower of utter ****e the movie was and the huge feminist overtones in it. They didn't even cover the agenda up that well in the movie as seen by the crotch seen.

They treated the men in the movie like absolute idiots. It was arguably one of the worst films I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Billy86 wrote: »
    You do realise those were all reportedly fake tweets attributed to her, which is apparently part of the reason she left?

Holy hell I literally gave you a link to one.

But, just incase you missed it:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/564664734268411906

February 2015.
    'Lord have mercy...white people ****'

But no, it's ok, she's the poor damsel in distress :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

February 2015.

But no, it's ok, she's the poor damsel in distress :pac:

Don't make me bust out another verse of "One of these things is not like the others" :D

• Advertisement

February 2015.

Yeah, she definitely deserves all the abuse she's getting after that tweet. As a white person, I think I represent us all when I say how utterly offended I am by this. Sniff…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I can see how Milo gets up the back of certain people. He's, loud, cocky, camp, abrasive.

I've been aware of him for a couple of years at this stage. If you can get past the above traits I mentioned he's actually a fascinating guy to listen to, he's not afraid to speak inconvenient truths and apply facts and logic when critiquing some of the crazy 'SJW' culture (He has expression that "sunlight is the best disinfectant"). He doesn't run away from his political opponents, he challenges them to debate him.

He has faced down incredible hatred on his recent Speaking Tour of US college campuses. Regressive leftists have tried every trick in the book to get him shut down.

Give one of his talks a chance, even if you don't agree with his politics he's a chap who is worth listening to.

Yeah, she definitely deserves all the abuse she's getting after that tweet. As a white person, I think I represent us all when I say how utterly offended I am by this. Sniff…

I'm not saying she deserves it, FFS.
    I couldn't care less if she literally came out and said whitey must hang from the trees. Honestly, I'd laugh.

I'm saying she needs to get over herself now that she got it. She's clearly capable of it.

But then that wouldn't generate the much required publicity for what's probably going to be the most painful, forced film this decade now, would it :)

I reckon it'll be worse than batman v superman..

I reckon it'll be worse than batman v superman..

Tbf, nothing will ever be worse than that… I think I have PTSD from watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

I never heard of this lad until today. I watched some videos of him on YouTube and he seems to speak a f*ck tonne of sense. He obviously messed up here, but to lambaste someone as a posh twat is a bit wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He deserved to be removed for good or #FreeMilo?
    I agree with him that Twitter is totally okay with Deash using it to recruit suicide bombers, but doesn't like his views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

Penn wrote: »
    White basement-dwellers calling her a n****r, comparing her to a gorilla and jerking off on pictures of her, and then taking a picture of that and sending it to her, all because she was in a movie? Not comparable.

Nobody said it was comparable, they're pointing out the double standard that she has personally tweeted things every bit as controversial as Milo himself, yet Milo's the one getting banned. Milo didn't tweet any gorilla pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

the_syco wrote: »
    I agree with him that Twitter is totally okay with Deash using it to recruit suicide bombers, but doesn't like his views.

Another red herring, there is no ISIS twitter account with 700000 followers. Also http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/9/12136436/isis-twitter-traffic-propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Never heard of Milo until today but his banning from Twitter seems like bull****. What he tweeted didn't warrant a ban and his review of the movie pretty much matches up with what alot of other reviewers are saying. When you consider the vile personal attacks the likes of Kayne West frequently sprout on his twitter account, yet is still allowed on the platform, this banning seems off.

Nermal wrote: »
    Nobody said it was comparable, they're pointing out the double standard that she has personally tweeted things every bit as controversial as Milo himself, yet Milo's the one getting banned. Milo didn't tweet any gorilla pictures.

Milo was temp banned several times and continued like nothing had happened. And now he is surprised that the private company doesn't like him anymore. He has no right to be on twitter.

Tbf, nothing will ever be worse than that… I think I have PTSD from watching it.

Amen, it's definitely got it's work cut out. If you could sue for hours you'd never get back, I'd lead a class action...

TO MARTHA!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Harika wrote: »
    Milo was temp banned several times and continued like nothing had happened. And now he is surprised that the private company doesn't like him anymore. He has no right to be on twitter.

Maybe its time private companies that own social media platforms get held to a different set of rules then. Twitter and Facebook are the only way the real horror and truth of what goes on in some countries, ever gets brought to light and are to important these days to just fall under the " the owner has the right to do as they please" line that alot of other businesses can operate under.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Venom wrote: »
    Maybe its time private companies that own social media platforms get held to a different set of rules then. Twitter and Facebook are the only way the real horror and truth of what goes on in some countries, ever gets brought to light and are to important these days to just fall under the " the owner has the right to do as they please" line that alot of other businesses can operate under.

Mind you. You could say the same about Boards, in a smaller slightly more parochial context. :D

The number of times I've been infracted/warned/banned/had threads closed for quite minor transgressions leads me to conclude that Milo would have been permabanned from here long ago if he had deigned to grace this site with his presence.

Venom wrote: »

Milos behaviour was detrimental to the business, put yourself in twitters feet, would you keep an abusive customer after several warnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

the_syco wrote: »
    I agree with him that Twitter is totally okay with Deash using it to recruit suicide bombers

Is there any evidence for that... like at all?

They regularly delete accounts associated with the group.

The lie that they are fine with it has just been repeated enough that some stupid people have come to believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Arturo Bandini

Milo exists to annoy and expose SJWs, which he does extremely well. Being offensive with the hope of desensitizing people is what he does. He believes that we live in a world where feeling coming before everything else and he's correct on that.

Most poster here seem to be attacking his character instead of actually pointing out how he is wrong. Don't get me wrong Milo can be wrong, but the core of what he's saying is usually right.

I'd honestly rather a arrogant asshole telling me the truth than some polite liberals lying through their teeth to further their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Nobody forced her to use twitter.

And there isn't any mention of death threats.

The world is a nasty place at the best of times. Welcome to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Milo exists to annoy and expose SJWs, which he does extremely well. Being offensive with the hope of desensitizing people is what he does. He believes that we live in a world where feeling coming before everything else and he's correct on that.

Most poster here seem to be attacking his character instead of actually pointing out how he is wrong. Don't get me wrong Milo can be wrong, but the core of what he's saying is usually right.

I'd honestly rather a arrogant asshole telling me the truth than some polite liberals lying through their teeth to further their agenda.

The man is a Trump supporter. He is an attention seeking professional controversy creator. He is Katie Hopkins. Ironically you mention agendas and this man in the same sentence but are blind to his selfish pursuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Conservatism is also the ideology which that Breitshart site he writes for espouses, i.e. free markets, closed borders, continuing the War on Drugs (as long as it fucks over brown people, of course), One Nation Under God (but not that "Allah" fucker!) etc.

Plus, those things you listed didn't exactly stop the likes of conservative pundits like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck declaring themselves as such. ;)

Indeed. Radical nutcases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The man is a Trump supporter. He is an attention seeking professional controversy creator. He is Katie Hopkins. Ironically you mention agendas and this man in the same sentence but are blind to his selfish pursuits.

The irony of you mentioning agendas along with things like "he is Katie Hopkins" and "an attention seeking professional controversy creator" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The annoying thing is that the ghosts don't even look real in that new Ghostbusters movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Penn wrote: »
    Don't make me bust out another verse of "One of these things is not like the others" :D

That's implied rather than explicit. You could easily argue it's a rorschach test, i.e. ones blonde etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Burial. wrote: »
    The irony of you mentioning agendas along with things like "he is Katie Hopkins" and "an attention seeking professional controversy creator" :rolleyes:

Take a look at the man's Facebook. He says he is a wind up merchant a la Hopkins. He has a simple yet surprisingly successful agenda - be controversial and earn money. He literally has a photo of himself holding a few thousand dollars, the sad act. Not too long after Nice attack he was making jokes about gun control and trucks to cater to his southern state yokels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The annoying thing is that the ghosts don't even look real in that new Ghostbusters movie.

What do ghosts look like????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You're more than welcome to go to his blog. Twitter is a privately owned company that has terms and conditions. He broke those conditions. Those rules affect everyone, not just him. He knew what the rules were, he broke them time and time again. This suspension wasn't out of the blue.

If you feel that a site like twitter shouldn't have those rules, go set up your own. Or just don't use twitter. Same goes for this site. This site has far stricter rules. The rules are necessary otherwise it'd descend into the chaos that is 4chan.

Advertisement