Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter permanently suspends Milo Yiannopoulos over row with 'Ghostbusters' actress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not being a Twitter fishbowl type, I didn't know who he was or what he looked like so found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/20/milo-yiannopoulos-nero-permanently-banned-twitter

He actually looks like somebody called up a stock photo agency and requested a photo for a tabloid article on unpleasant, preppy stockbrokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nobody should be subject to racial abuse on twitter. I support banning any idiot who degrades anybody over race

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

He seems like a bit of a tit. On the plus side, he has a healthy dislike of Onision.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Milo is somewhat of a letdown when all said and done.

I admired the guy initially for challenging and highlighting the hypocrisy of the far left "safe space" loons,but he has seemed to have gone very close to Katy Hopkins/Anne Coulter territory over the last few months which is never a good thing.

The review of the film wasn't why he was banned, he was retweeting obvious doctored tweets of Ghostbusters lass and trying to provoke her, it was cruel and he deserved to be banned full stop. This shouldn't be left v right or political correctness gone mad etc, this is clear cut bullying of a man using his rotten gamergate army of trolls to attack someone for his own kicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

inforfun wrote: »
    I guess it is only a matter of time Twitter will ban her too?

# One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
    Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
    If you guessed this one is not like the others,
    Then you're absolutely...right! #

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Clear examples of the vile racist abuse that was stirred up against her by this arsehole. Why would Twitter ban her?

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Clear examples of the vile racist abuse that was stirred up against her by this arsehole. Why would Twitter ban her?

I presume he means for her comment about "hope y'all go after them like they going after me", though of course that's stripping her comment out of all context and trying to equate two things which are clearly not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

mansize wrote: »
    So Milo wanted a 'Safe Space' for his ranting?

This is it really. Those loons rant about the likes of safe spaces and hug-boxes etc but really it's them that expect and demand such echo chambers.

As an example, look at the_donald page on Reddit. They ban anyone who doesn't take part in their circlejerk.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. Absolute losers who fail at life and need to find something or someone to blame for it :o

Your man that was banned from Twitter is something of a demigod for those freaks too

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Penn wrote: »
    # One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
    Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
    If you guessed this one is not like the others,
    Then you're absolutely...right! #

well thanks that for that. i have that song in my head now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He strikes me as a guy who got notoriety for being outlandish and a bit of a mouth and now needs to continually "one up" his last tirade to remain relevant and keep himself out there. Same with Katie Hopkins.

He's an absolute clown, but doesn't deserve a suspended account for that, there's a lot wrong with Twitter, if they start this game it's a slippery slope.

I don't follow him anyway so no loss to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Whoever this Milo character is, I can assure you that whatever he says on Twitter, it is of absolutely no importance whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

This is it really. Those loons rant about the likes of safe spaces and hug-boxes etc but really it's them that expect and demand such echo chambers.

As an example, look at the_donald page on Reddit. They ban anyone who doesn't take part in their circlejerk.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. Absolute losers who fail at life and need to find something or someone to blame for it :o

Your man that was banned from Twitter is something of a demigod for those freaks too

Fight fire with fire and all that. People got tired of being banned from the circle jerks of pathetic freaks themselves, so formed their own groups.

As for Milo Yianowhatshisface, I know he gets way more hate mail than anyone involved in that pile of crap movie. I always like people who annoy the right people.
    And right now I'm really liking laughing at the charges laid against him in this thread. The pain is real, FFS :D:D

razorblunt wrote: »
    He strikes me as a guy who got notoriety for being outlandish and a bit of a mouth and now needs to continually "one up" his last tirade to remain relevant and keep himself out there. Same with Katie Hopkins.

He's an absolute clown, but doesn't deserve a suspended account for that, there's a lot wrong with Twitter, if they start this game it's a slippery slope.

I don't follow him anyway so no loss to me.

he wasnt banned for being a clown. if twitter banned all the clowns it would nearly empty.

Fight fire with fire and all that. People got tired of being banned from the circle jerks of pathetic freaks themselves, so formed their own groups.

As for Milo Yianowhatshisface, I know he gets way more hate mail than anyone involved in that pile of crap movie. I always like people who annoy the right people.
    And right now I'm really liking laughing at the charges laid against him in this thread. The pain is real, FFS :D:D

just so i understand: you think it is ok to orchestrate a campaign of racist abuse against a black actress because you didnt like a movie they were in? do i have that right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

it's homophobic to ban Milo, shame on the gay-hating Leslie Jones and Twitter suits - #gaytwitteraccountsmatter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

razorblunt wrote: »
    He strikes me as a guy who got notoriety for being outlandish and a bit of a mouth and now needs to continually "one up" his last tirade to remain relevant and keep himself out there.
    +1. I liked much of his spiel at first(going back a while now) and he was highlighting some of the "left" nonsense and usually too in a quite measured way. Look up some of his early debates and it's usually the other side of the table going full hysterics not him. Of late and for quite a time though he's gone Full Yank(™).

American culture these days and over the last few decades values simplicity, almost slapstick in public discourse* and as he(and others) see there are careers and money to be made feeding that stuff he's turned his "God, Cucks, guns and America" up to 11. That he's gay makes it even better and he's ratcheted that Bitchy Fággot(™) persona right up as well, while saying he's ashamed of being gay to keep the rednecks happy in their confusion for liking him. He's damn near the perfect poster boy for the neoredneck conservative American. You'd almost need to invent him if he didn't exist already.

Or… he's also longterm trolling the rednecks. That thought occurs.

*it wasn't always thus. No way would they elect Abe Lincoln today, way too wordy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

just so i understand: you think it is ok to orchestrate a campaign of racist abuse against a black actress because you didnt like a movie they were in? do i have that right?

Is there proof he orchestrated this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

seamus wrote: »
    I love how people who use Twitter a lot get really embroiled in this stuff, talk about how big a deal it is and get into really heated debates about it. On Twitter.

And then they look up from the screen and realise that 99% of the people around them aren't even aware of who Milo Snuffleupagus is, don't know that he's been banned, and don't even care. That it's not even remotely an important "thing".

My brother spends a lot of time on Twitter and sometimes he'll arrive in the pub all full of vigour to discuss some "huge" thing that blew up on Twitter. He realises very quickly that nobody is aware of it and it's not even anything resembling a big or important issue.
    To be fair that cuts both ways, you don't get barred from your pub for making a "get back to the kitchen" joke or for saying you don't like X group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He is nothing like Katie Hopkins. He's a conservative. He's not particularly liked by many, but to compare him to that twat is just lazy posting. He has his views and he argues them quite well.
    I don't have much interest in talking about this human turd at much length, so here is an earlier post of mine about why he is no better (actually, possibly even worse) than the likes of Katie Hopkins. Neither of them believe much of any of what they say or write.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98211045&postcount=174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

'Disagreeing with black people is racist'...

He didn't orchestrate ****, FFS :lol:

And I don't recall anyone here saying he said it's a good thing either. I do recall everyone getting mad that he essentially told her to get the **** over it..

Honestly I'm not that concerned for her. Oh no, someone who's more successful and has made more money than plebs like you and me will see in our lifetimes, got hate mail.... What is she ever going to doooooo hooo hooooooo......

Somehow, I reckon she's alright..

FortySeven wrote: »
    Is there proof he orchestrated this?

I presume there is. that is what he was banned for isnt it?

'Disagreeing with black people is racist'...

He didn't orchestrate ****, FFS :lol:

And I don't recall anyone here saying he said it's a good thing either. I do recall everyone getting mad that he essentially told her to get the **** over it..

Honestly I'm not that concerned for her. Oh no, someone who's more successful and has made more money than plebs like you and me will see in our lifetimes, got hate mail.... What is she ever going to doooooo hooo hooooooo......

She got numerous tweets comparing her to Harambe the gorilla, numerous other racist tweets (including n****r) and someone printed off a picture of her face, jerked off onto it, and sent her a picture of it.

Yeah, I'm not concerned about her either. I mean, she can afford the new iPhone, so clearly her actual feelings are irrelevant. I mean, who does she think she is? Doesn't she realise that her money shields her from abuse and means that she no longer feels emotions?

What a snowflake, huh?

Want to hi-5 my cum-stained hand dudebro?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Penn wrote: »
    I presume he means for her comment about "hope y'all go after them like they going after me", though of course that's stripping her comment out of all context and trying to equate two things which are clearly not the same.

If you ban 1 person for setting up people to harass someone, you should do the same if someone else is doing the same.

No matter if the 1st one is an actress and the 2nd one some window licking idiot in a basement somewhere.

The messages that actress received is another matter. Twitter should ban the senders of that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The guy maintains a Slack chatroom with /pol/ basement-dwellers FFS. Yet another reason to doubt the party line being toed by his and Drumpf's fanboys.

If you ban 1 person for setting up people to harass someone, you should do the same if someone else is doing the same.

No matter if the 1st one is an actress and the 2nd one some window licking idiot in a basement somewhere.

The messages that actress received is another matter. Twitter should ban the senders of that crap.

she has already closed her twitter account so banning her is moot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I presume there is. that is what he was banned for isnt it?

Isn't innocence usually presumed before guilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What? She has money so f*ck her? Sweet Jesus...

FortySeven wrote: »
    Isn't innocence usually presumed before guilt?

from the linked article. I dont think they banned him for the lols.
    “People should be able to express diverse opinions and beliefs on Twitter. But no one deserves to be subjected to targeted abuse online, and our rules prohibit inciting or engaging in the targeted abuse or harassment of others.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Who the **** is Milo Yiannopoulos?

And WTF is Twitter?

Advertisement