Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter permanently suspends Milo Yiannopoulos over row with 'Ghostbusters' actress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Letree wrote: »

Of course the site which employs Milo (and his c.40-45 interns) would be "fair and balanced". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Of course the site which employs Milo (and his c.40-45 interns) would be "fair and balanced". :rolleyes:

breitbart is the male version of Jezebel, not very credible tbh.

SAMPLE BREITBART TITLE:

BREAKING: ALL WOMEN HAVE COOTIES:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

TSMGUY wrote: »

SAMPLE BREITBART TITLE:

Are the Tweets there fake?
    If not it doesn't matter a shoite what site they're listed on. They're racist. Unlike anything produced so far from Milo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

SAMPLE BREITBART TITLE:

That's Return of Kings you're thinking of.

Breitbart is a conservative news site founded by the late Andrew Breitbart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Who cares?

Surely the poll should be :

Will Mark Little:

a) Save Twitter?
    b) Go back to RTE?
    c) Er,
    d) That's it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

That's Return of Kings you're thinking of.

Breitbart is a conservative news site founded by the late Andrew Breitbart.

return of the kings doesn't take itself for seriously though...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

return of the kings doesn't take itself for seriously though...

I wouldn't be too sure about that.:pac:

It's interesting to note that Breitbart also had a hand in starting the Huffington Post. Amazing how they evolved over the years to become great ideological rivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

Breitbart: Evil leftists call people racist to silence those who speak out against them. Hey, check out this woman who is a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Clip from him earlier and also an NBC interview with him just afterwards (sure he's only lovin the attention of course :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Adam Brennan

I don't think he was right to be permanently banned from Twitter, I've seen far worse - lets not forget how many people are radicalised to join ISIS from Twitter alone. There's far worse out there than someone being a racist.

As for Leslie Jones, nobody deserves to be treated that way, however, this is life. Cyberbullying is a very thing to avoid, one can do it simply by closing their eyes if they really wanted.
    The best thing she could've done would be to not react whatsoever and just report the hate speech (which is the only proper thing to do; scratching a rash never helps).

Both did things wrong, however, this shouldn't really be as big as it is. It's just some simple cyberbullying/trolling - I cannot say that I haven't had my fair share over the years, you need to get over these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This is a podcast with the guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Blah blah blah blah, you talk about ignoring links, go ahead and ignore this non-fake twitter link. Again.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/564664734268411906
    Does your memory just wipe itself on an hourly basis of everything that doesn't fit into it's right wing agenda?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100417537&postcount=187
    I googled February 8th, 2015 and couldn't come up with anything. Is there any context to this tweet or what it is related to be? Because it is clearly in response to something, but it would be interesting to see what before judging. I was hoping one of the dozens (hundreds?) of comments on it would help me out here, but no... the very first reply to it was July 18th, 2016. Almost a year and a half after the tweet, which is... interesting.

Funny how you ignored that, but predictable for you. And on the subject of predictable...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100417678&postcount=190
    So feel free to link to the other tweets you were happy to accuse her of, or just admit that you were duped like a gullible eejit. Or... do what everyone reading this post knows you will do, which is try to change the subject or shift the goalposts. If you respond of course.
    Again... context. Who is this Solomon she is referring to? Is it a serious issue she is discussing, or is she (a comedian) intending it as a joke?

Funny though, that wasn't one of the posts you attributed to her earlier in your attachment. Why can't you find them?
    Oh yes, commenting on a TV show where someone did something stupid. So god damn racist, not a chance you're going out of your way to avoid the fact that this was a comedian making a joke - kind of different to what we saw the last few days on Twitter.

Again, these are not the ones you attached earlier though, are they? Go and find them or just admit you got duped because you wanted to believe.
    Not a comment on fashion trends, oh dear!

But hey since you're clued in on this tweet and not just desperately clutching at straws... what two white women is she referring to?

And again... why can't you link to the tweets you attributed to her earlier in the attachment? Maybe you were taken for a ride like a gullible eejit? I mean you didn't know that there literally is a website where you can make fake tweets, so there's really not as much shame in admitting you were duped as you seem to think there is.
    Again. Context please. Given you're so sold on it being racist, you surely know what she is talking about and whether it is a joke or serious.

And again, why no links to the actual racist tweets you attributed to her earlier in the attachment? Is it because you don't want to talk about them anymore because of how you didn't know you can doctor the date on those fake tweets too? I know, you did make a big song and dance about that one, so that might be a little embarrassing, but the fact is you didn't know.
    Are you trolling at this stage? She asked a question, and the answer to her question is typically yes, in the same way someone who wears Muslim clothing with the huge beard etc or a person who carries their rosary beads everywhere are likely more dedicated to their own religions too.

You really are desperate to change the subject away from your own ignorance on making fake tweets though, aren't you? Like the ones you attributed to her earlier that you still have not linked to.
    Or this........
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/755218642674020352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    LITERALLY inciting people to hunt down someone.
    Hilarious given the date, July 18th 2016, right in the middle of her receiving a torrent of racist abuse from god knows how many people. Sadly we can't see what she was referring to because "whitebecky" no longer has an account on Twitter. What convenient timing, you'd almost swear from that and the username that it was a fake account as part of a trolling war against one woman.

Now... where are the links to those fake tweets you attached to your post earlier? You keep pathetically trying to shift the goalposts away, but the fact is you were duped like a gullible eejit and never once questioned them to be anything but entirely true, simply because they backed up your own biases and prejudices. Either that, or you can go and find the links for them. Which you still have yet to do for any of the ones in your attachment.
    You want links so bad, why don't you show me the Milo tweet that incited the same? :)
    Where have I said that, again? Has there even been a mention of Yiannopoulous in our exchanges today?

Oh wait, that's right... I nearly forgot...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100417678&postcount=190
    So feel free to link to the other tweets you were happy to accuse her of, or just admit that you were duped like a gullible eejit. Or... do what everyone reading this post knows you will do, which is try to change the subject or shift the goalposts. If you respond of course.
    Or ignore this!

^Thats good, I laughed, the woman is obviously sharp as a tack.
    Why would I ignore that? It's stand up comedy. Didn't find it funny myself, it's a tired and boring trope that she didn't add much of any new meaningful material to, but then again the same could be said of the Ghostbusters movie (based on reviews & previews, I haven't seen it and have no plans to).
    I'm not the gullible eejit here. I stand by my opinions on this horse ****. It's publicity, nothing more. Leslie Jones is perfectly fine. I'll just sit back and laugh at the real "gullible eejits" :)
    If you're not a gullible eejit who unquestioningly latches on to anything that supports your own prejudices, then you will be able to provide links for the tweets in your attachment earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

kowloon wrote: »
    This is a podcast with the guy

This is the first one - a better introduction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Funny that some of the people who are trolling her are the ones who were criticizing the casting of her character as stereotyping/racial

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/07/ghostbusters-leslie-jones-defends-remake-racial-stereotyping-criticism

I retweeted her at the time. I comended her for standing up to the PC brigade. There's at least 5 accounts I recognized from last March

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I don't like the guy. Hes full of **** and inaccuracies.

However, freedom of speech has to be absolute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Hit the nail on the head. He's like some wannabe Christopher Hitchens spouting off what he considers to be witticisms but failing miserably and claiming everyone's just too sensitive to appreciate his genius.

The guy's not racist/sexist etc., he's just a talentless prick.

No. Hitchens was a public intellectual. Milo is just an idiot that talks proper English. There is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    However, freedom of speech has to be absolute.

:confused:

Freedom of speech means the government can't arrest you for just saying something... it doesn't mean anyone has to listen to you, or anyone has to give you a platform to say it.

The guy is a professional troll, and this wasn't the only harassment campaign he'd been involved with. Twitter is a better place without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Why are people making out that no jokes can be made about black people ever? I just recently rewatched 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' which isn't very old and there is tonnes of black stereotyping in it and very funny it is too. No uproar. Similarly, South Park does it all the time, as they consider everything and everyone fair game. It's not all that rare at all. So people highlighting jokes about white people made by Jones (and not giving the context and conversation) and using this as a reason why the abuse levelled at her is acceptable are being really disingenuous. Of course jokes can be made of black stereotypes. Done with comedic skill, they can be great. And even if they are not that funny, I'm sure most people can detect that they are jokes. There was absolutely no wit in most of the abuse she received. It was just abuse.

:confused:

Freedom of speech means the government can't arrest you for just saying something... it doesn't mean anyone has to listen to you, or anyone has to give you a platform to say it.

The guy is a professional troll, and this wasn't the only harassment campaign he'd been involved with. Twitter is a better place without him.
    If you don't like what he says and disagree with him, which I do, simply stop listening to him.

I know that twitter is a privately owned company and doesn't have to give anyone a platform. However, it's dangerous when we start to censor speech. If we can't have discussions, action is the next step.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pragmatic1 wrote:
    freedom of speech has to be absolute.
    1) This. Is. Not. America(thank christ). We don't have the right to free speech. Hell even they don't. 2) "Free speech" is not, nor can be an absolute in any society. There will always be limits and usually said limits are set by the law. You quite simply can't say what you like in any society. Where those limits are set is up for debate of course.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

Elliott S wrote: »
    Why are people making out that no jokes can be made about black people ever? I just recently rewatched 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' which isn't very old and there is tonnes of black stereotyping in it and very funny it is too. No uproar. Similarly, South Park does it all the time, as they consider everything and everyone fair game. It's not all that rare at all. So people highlighting jokes about white people made by Jones (and not giving the context and conversation) and using this as a reason why the abuse levelled at her is acceptable are being really disingenuous. Of course jokes can be made of black stereotypes. Done with comedic skill, they can be great. And even if they are not that funny, I'm sure most people can detect that they are jokes. There was absolutely no wit in most of the abuse she received. It was just abuse.

Sending Jones a picture of herself where someone ejaculated on it is a joke? Anyway those people were also not banned, only Milo who encouraged his 70000 followers to do harass her, after he was already temp banned several times.
    Twitter is extremely tolerant with what you can say, go out and try to get banned on twitter.

Harika wrote: »
    Sending someone Jones a picture of herself where someone ejaculated on it is a joke?

Someone Jones? Come again? :confused:

Anyway, I think you missed the point of my post there if I'm reading your post correctly as I am not defending yer banned man, though I'm slightly confused by your post. Can you rephrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

Elliott S wrote: »
    Someone Jones? Come again? :confused:

Anyway, I think you missed the point of my post there if I'm reading your post correctly as I am not defending yer banned man, though I'm slightly confused by your post. Can you rephrase?

Updated it. :)
    Sending Jones a picture of herself where someone ejaculated on it is a joke?

Updated it. :)

OK, yes, then you misunderstood my post. Go back and reread it. I said that the abuse levelled at Jones was unacceptable. I said the people using the fact that she makes jokes about white people was disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

He shouldn't have got banned.

However Anita Sarkesian is on the Trust and Safety Council of Twitter so you can see the sort of logic that's going to be applied at Twitter.

Whether you agree with everything Milo says is one thing but you can't disagree with his defence of free speech. As he admits, he's a monster created by the regressive far-left.

For the those of you who don't know who she is...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    If you don't like what he says and disagree with him, which I do, simply stop listening to him.

I know that twitter is a privately owned company and doesn't have to give anyone a platform. However, it's dangerous when we start to censor speech. If we can't have discussions, action is the next step.
    You're misunderstanding what free speech is. Twitter does not have to provide free speech.
    I'm not clicking a poxy breitbart link, but did you know Milo sent a load of screenshots out of fake tweets to make her look racist? That's one of the reasons he was banned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wonder how many of Milo's defenders have actually read Twitter's rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

He shouldn't have got banned.

Whether you agree with everything Milo says is one thing but you can't disagree with his defence of free speech. As he admits, he's a monster created by the regressive far-left.

I absolutely can disagree with a ridiculous claim of "free speech" in this case. Free speech is about the ability to say "the government is useless, and needs to be replaced" without being arrested. It is not a carte blanche to launch personal attacks - not even on an individual member of the government,

He is not "a monster created by the regressive far-left". He's a little notice-box that needs to grow up. His excuse is right up there with "the devil made me do it" and shows a shocking lack of personal responsibility. No-one and no thing made him do anything. If the "regressive far-left" had the power to make people do things, surely they'd make everyone think like them? Or make everyone be nice to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Sending Jones a picture of herself where someone ejaculated on it is a joke? Anyway those people were also not banned, only Milo who encouraged his 70000 followers to do harass her, after he was already temp banned several times.
    Twitter is extremely tolerant with what you can say, go out and try to get banned on twitter.

He is very outspoken about not harassing people. He criticised and made fun of her. That is not encouraging harassment.

Advertisement