Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter permanently suspends Milo Yiannopoulos over row with 'Ghostbusters' actress

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So is it just the black lady getting harassed or all of the actresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Right so. Just to be clear then, from now on that photograph of that kid is the new yard stick. If your life is not as bad as his, you're not allowed to be unhappy, upset or complain about something that's happening to you?

How about that kid though? Does he have to stop complaining if someone has it worse than him?

Whinging little bastard if you ask me, he can afford jewellery - how bad can things be. He's blinged up like kanye at a wedding ffs:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Lol get a grip :rolleyes:
    Honestly I'd care a lot more if she had a genuine struggle going. Worrying about the future, getting employment that will pay for kids school.
    Being called nasty things just isn't that bad. And I say that as but a pau, pau pleb :rolleyes:

The senders of that stuff should be banned, no argument, but there's a little toughening up in order, too. Take a picture of a check, tell them nothing they say or do will matter to what's on that cheque. Or, just play the victim..

It's the twitter equivalent of diving for a penalty.

So how do you know her personally? How do you know whether she has a "genuine struggle" or not. You don't. You know **** all about her, yet you seem to think she is not deserving of sympathy because she hasn't "struggled" enough by your standards. It's that kind of attitude that leads these idiots online to believe that it is fun to insult and degrade a human being because all they see is a famous person with money, not a person worthy of basic respect and decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

So is it just the black lady getting harassed or all of the actresses?

Well if those troglodytes lay so much as an e-finger on Melissa McCarthy, I'll personally lead a crusade :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Well if those troglodytes lay so much as an e-finger on Melissa McCarthy, I'll personally lead a crusade :mad:

Really?
    I can't stand her. Probably the worst "comic" actress working at the moment, (possibly tied with Rebel Wilson) everything she's in is shít

• Advertisement

Yea, I don't personally find Melissa McCarthy that funny. She's no Rebel Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Delighted he's banned, he's an arséhole. He's actually a professional arséhole, he makes money from it. The less soapboxes he's on, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Penn wrote: »
    # One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
    Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
    If you guessed this one is not like the others,
    Then you're absolutely...right! #

Is it weird I'm imagining Dave Grohl singing this to the rhythm of "The Pretender"? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

did he deserve to be banned for this?

Where's the tweet that suggests he rallied them?

This happens all the time, I follow one girl who had the audacity to post something negative about Niall Horan, she either responded to him directly or mentioned him and the response was horrible. Some of the fan accounts were actively encouraging it, they weren't banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

^^ But none of that matters because I know where you're going to try to take this ;)

Where I'm trying to take this? Give over, you posted a picture of a sad looking, wide-eyed child to illustrate why a black woman shouldn't complain about a torrent of racist abuse she received.

• Advertisement

Tasden wrote: »
    So how do you know her personally? How do you know whether she has a "genuine struggle" or not. You don't. You know **** all about her, yet you seem to think she is not deserving of sympathy because she hasn't "struggled" enough by your standards. It's that kind of attitude that leads these idiots online to believe that it is fun to insult and degrade a human being because all they see is a famous person with money, not a person worthy of basic respect and decency.

I wouldn't dream of taking part in the harassment, because contrary to the picture you're painting, I don't believe it should have been done.

However, with it having been done, I personally would have either ignored it, or dished it back.
    I'm not saying it's never right to be a victim, plenty of people are. I'm saying it serves a purpose this time.

I do believe however that this is another play by people, the likes of whom are churning out "Why you need to get over yourselves and watch this film, and if you don't, it's because you're a misogynistic racist" bull**** articles (I mean seriously, when has this ever happened before a films release!?)

And because the internet is full of brainless dead ends, the smart handful that organised it were promptly clouded out by the many more, spewing their crap.

Either way as wrong as it is, I'm not concerned and I'm not going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Really?
    I can't stand her. Probably the worst "comic" actress working at the moment, (possibly tied with Rebel Wilson) everything she's in is shít

thats a tad unfair. she was very funny in Spy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

This is what I am curious to know, he's not a particularly nice person but is there any evidence that he is responsible in anything but the most tangential way for her abuse?

If the actions of a small number of fellow travellers/supporters justify a ban the wider picture is that even Milo himself has been the victim of pretty severe harrasment including threats of violence delivered in person which IMO is much more severe than online abuse no matter how toxic don't those groups deserve sanction by Twitter if charges of hypocrisy are to be avoided.
    (For reference this refers to BLM activists who targetted him)

I think he is responsible in the sense that maybe he has accused her or lied about her and then others have jumped on.

He hasn't actually said "OK followers, I just hate this woman and you should all go and send her abuse".

I'd be very surprised if there were more than 100 Twitter accounts used to send the abuse and even more surprised if many of those accounts were actually linked to Milo in any way. Most of her abusers would know damn well that they'd be permanently banned after sending those tweets so anyone who actually wanted to continue using Twitter wouldn't be using their primary account anyway.

Who really knows though?

One poster said it's the Twitter/Internet equivalent of diving for a penalty and I really like that analogy.

In this case Twitter is OBVIOUSLY a biased referee.

Fair enough, it's their game and their rules.

Really?

I know, she's about as funny as a thorough waterboarding session. I was just making a joke. A poor one :o

Well what do we have here....

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/647826/392261.jpg

This calls for the worst smiley on the site.
    :):):)
    Somehow, I reckon she's alright..

Somehow, I reckon I'm right. She gives as good ad she gets, which is the right thing to do.
    Ah who am I kidding, of course she was hacked all those times!
    Like I said. She'll be fine... :)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/564664734268411906

February 2015.
    'Lord have mercy...white people ****'

Like I said, she may get over herself. There's two of them in it ffs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

orubiru wrote: »
    I think he is responsible in the sense that maybe he has accused her or lied about her and then others have jumped on.

He hasn't actually said "OK followers, I just hate this woman and you should all go and send her abuse".

I'd be very surprised if there were more than 100 Twitter accounts used to send the abuse and even more surprised if many of those accounts were actually linked to Milo in any way. Most of her abusers would know damn well that they'd be permanently banned after sending those tweets so anyone who actually wanted to continue using Twitter wouldn't be using their primary account anyway.

Who really knows though?

One poster said it's the Twitter/Internet equivalent of diving for a penalty and I really like that analogy.

In this case Twitter is OBVIOUSLY a biased referee.

Fair enough, it's their game and their rules.

So he can't criticise anyone online? I've seen this guy in interviews telling people not to harass the people he criticises. Most of the people that get hassel have already put themselves or views out there and it seems that he just broadcasts them to a different audience.

There is something very Orwellian going on in the larger social media providers. People seem very shortsighted in their embrace of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What? She has money so f*ck her? Sweet Jesus...

Well here is a question for you (and everyone else) ;)
    Would you accept or decline the following: you'll earn a couple of million over a couple of years from movies, television and stand up. You will also be famous. But the downside to it is that you'll have jerks moaning about your work, the media being scum and not respecting your personal life and generally overall experiencing the worst from people as you are famous and in the spotlight. What would you choose? :pac:

No brainer for me. Give me the money. Cause there's people out there in customer service jobs (for example) that have to handle the scum of human existence every day. All for minimum-wage.

Personally, and maybe it's just me, but I would rather be a millionaire and deal with assholes than being poor and the same :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Would you accept or decline the following: you'll earn a couple of million over a couple of years from movies, television and stand up. You will also be famous. But the downside to it is that you'll have jerks moaning about your work, the media being scum and not respecting your personal life and generally overall experiencing the worst from people as you are famous and in the spotlight. What would you choose? :pac:

No brainer for me. Give me the money. Cause there's people out there in customer service jobs (for example) that have to handle the scum of human existence every day. All for minimum-wage.

Personally, and maybe it's just me, but I would rather be a millionaire and deal with assholes than being poor and the same :pac:

This wasn't a case of dealing with a few arseholes complaining about your film. This was targeted racial and sexist abuse. Rich & Famous or not, it's not acceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.

Otherwise again, where's the threshold? At what wage bracket does it become acceptable?

Somehow, I reckon I'm right. She gives as good ad she gets, which is the right thing to do.

Shock horror, professional comedian saying non-PC things.

Does not equate to targeted racial and sexist abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Everyone gets critisised on the internet, and there is nothing wrong with a disagreement. But when people terrorize you for fun as they think it is okay, to communicate by sending pictures where they jerked off to, you will realize that you cannot buy happiness with money. And for the call center example, if someone gets abusive you hang up, what in my experience happened in the worst cases once a month.

Milo and his monkey army, consisting of white males, that now think in a world where minorities demand equal rights and opportunities, they are left behind. That's why they react so aggresive.

Then hilariously funny when they want freedom of speech but try to silence others who are not on their team, like you see in this example.

XKCD explains freedom of speech very good
    https://xkcd.com/1357/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This wasn't a case of dealing with a few arseholes complaining about your film. This was targeted racial and sexist abuse. Rich & Famous or not, it's not acceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.

Otherwise again, where's the threshold? At what wage bracket does it become acceptable?

It's never acceptable and should never happen. But sadly we're talking about people here.... And alot of people are arseholes.

Things like Twitter have given people a platform to publicly share their bile. Even YouTube... Heck even message boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It does when you're desperately looking for something to say "m'based gaylord (or whatever) isn't so bad!"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

BattleCorp wrote: »
    if twitter are going to ban people for a rather tame statement like that, then they will have to ban most of their users

which would certainly be an improvement.

It's ok when they do it.

^Is basically all I'm seeing up there...

And that's ok. You people however seem to think it's not ok whenever "a certain privileged group" does it.

People are entitled to their opinions, she shared hers. She likely engaged in plenty of rough and tumble with other users as well, which again, is perfectly fine. Someone mouths you, dust yourself off and give it back.

It's perfectly fine, and perfectly right, but it also makes her convenient persecution complex, a steaming pile of horse ****.

Stop falling for horse ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I think he learned his gimmick from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You do realise those were all reportedly fake tweets attributed to her, which is apparently part of the reason she left?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

How does this professional attention-seeker get to describe his muppetry as 'conservative' without being called out on it?

I thought being conservative would include modesty, decorum, treating people with respect, good manners, an aversion ostentatious language/behaviour etc?

Milo Yappynappyass is the antithesis of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Billy86 wrote: »
    You do realise those were all reportedly fake tweets attributed to her, which is apparently part of the reason she left?

Are they though? its been sort of hard to find a source on this (admittedly very minor) piece of news that isn't biased as hell one way or the other.
    Reddit is all the_donald threads and more mainstream outlets like the Guardian and the Salon aren't very trustworthy about these type of things either.

• Advertisement

Are they though? its been sort of hard to find a source on this (admittedly very minor) piece of news that isn't biased as hell one way or the other.
    Reddit is all the_donald threads and more mainstream outlets like the Guardian and the Salon aren't very trustworthy about these type of things either.

I think there were a lot of tweets that people were creating themselves and attributing to her that night (much worse ones - pretty easy to create http://www.lemmetweetthatforyou.com/#), but I don't think the ones posted above were. I think they're legit.

Again though, black comedian making non-offensive, non-racist jokes about white people? Not a surprise. White basement-dwellers calling her a n****r, comparing her to a gorilla and jerking off on pictures of her, and then taking a picture of that and sending it to her, all because she was in a movie? Not comparable.

Advertisement