Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

For anyone feeling down or pessimistic about their chances of going to France this summer it's still very early days.

I was one of the very few people who held onto my booking for last year and ignored public health advice and went to France for 5 weeks at the end of July 2020.
    We had it booked since October 2019 so it's not like I booked it in the middle of a pandemic.

I had to listen to Friends and family members from March telling me that it wasn't going to happen, then as our dates got closer & the ferry was running weekly & our campsites were open a few people we know & certain people on here went the other way and said we were selfish & should think about the bigger picture.

Well my bigger picture was getting my family out of Ireland where everyone had become obsessed with daily numbers and had started to watch everyone else & judge them, a toxic environment that still exists today, our eldest was starting to really feel it and was getting panic attacks & couldn't go to sleep without one of us next to her at night & France was one of the tiny glimmers of hope she was holding onto.

I was very worried, I was very apprehensive but we took the chance and after around 4 days on our first campsite in Le Littoral we realized we could relax, everyone was still aware of covid, all safety measures were in place, France was well ahead of Ireland in relation to mask wearing but everyone was in good spirits and getting on with their daily lives without the doom & gloom & constant barrage of fear.

We had one of the best holidays we've ever had in France, the covid measures and restrictions in France didn't detract from our experience in any way and I tell everyone to this day that the decision we made to go to France in 2020 was the best decision we made last year, and I would advise anyone here that if your ferry is running, if your campsites are fully operational and if you don't have to isolate or quarantine on your arrival in France then you should 100% go.

I'm not here to boast or rub it into anyone's face that didn't get to go on their holidays last year, everyone made their own individual choices based on their own unique circumstances & I respect that, I'm here to tell you not to be worried about not having a proper holiday in France, I'm here to tell you that on all 4 campsites everything was open and fully operational, all the nearby towns and markets were buzzing.

I am lucky to have the facility in my workplace to take unpaid leave which is deducted over the 52 weeks of the following year which helped cover my two weeks of restricted movements which we strictly adhered to.

That was over 4 months of uncertainty for us without any vaccines available and we got to go, it's still only February so I know it's hard to be optimistic but honestly there's hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

For anyone feeling down or pessimistic about their chances of going to France this summer it's still very early days.

I was one of the very few people who held onto my booking for last year and ignored public health advice and went to France for 5 weeks at the end of July 2020.
    We had it booked since October 2019 so it's not like I booked it in the middle of a pandemic.

I had to listen to Friends and family members from March telling me that it wasn't going to happen, then as our dates got closer & the ferry was running weekly & our campsites were open a few people we know & certain people on here went the other way and said we were selfish & should think about the bigger picture.

Well my bigger picture was getting my family out of Ireland where everyone had become obsessed with daily numbers and had started to watch everyone else & judge them, a toxic environment that still exists today, our eldest was starting to really feel it and was getting panic attacks & couldn't go to sleep without one of us next to her at night & France was one of the tiny glimmers of hope she was holding onto.

I was very worried, I was very apprehensive but we took the chance and after around 4 days on our first campsite in Le Littoral we realized we could relax, everyone was still aware of covid, all safety measures were in place, France was well ahead of Ireland in relation to mask wearing but everyone was in good spirits and getting on with their daily lives without the doom & gloom & constant barrage of fear.

We had one of the best holidays we've ever had in France, the covid measures and restrictions in France didn't detract from our experience in any way and I tell everyone to this day that the decision we made to go to France in 2020 was the best decision we made last year, and I would advise anyone here that if your ferry is running, if your campsites are fully operational and if you don't have to isolate or quarantine on your arrival in France then you should 100% go.

I'm not here to boast or rub it into anyone's face that didn't get to go on their holidays last year, everyone made their own individual choices based on their own unique circumstances & I respect that, I'm here to tell you not to be worried about not having a proper holiday in France, I'm here to tell you that on all 4 campsites everything was open and fully operational, all the nearby towns and markets were buzzing.

I am lucky to have the facility in my workplace to take unpaid leave which is deducted over the 52 weeks of the following year which helped cover my two weeks of restricted movements which we strictly adhered to.

That was over 4 months of uncertainty for us without any vaccines available and we got to go, it's still only February so I know it's hard to be optimistic but honestly there's hope.

Thanks for such positive Feedback.
    Can I ask you what were the Health Measures in France at the time ? In particular on the Campsites? And the Ferry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Flangemistro- I agree. Last year I wouldn't have gone as my husband was so apprehensive that it wouldn't have been enjoyable. I think a camping holiday in france is very different to staying in a packed hotel. It's easy to be responsible and socially distance and if you work from home and the kids are off school - it's not hard to isolate for 14 days on return, get tested etc. Travel itself did not cause spikes- it's irresponsible travellers largely e.g. people coming home at xmas and not isolating at all. However travel has become such a scapegoat in recent weeks- there's such a stigma attached now. And I do agree so many won't do what they should (isolate on return etc). My OH will be vaccinated too and I prob will (as I'm a cross border worker)- while I know it's not proven you can't spread it after vaccination the data from israel shows you are approx 50% less likely to spread it.

Also- last year our flights were cancelled. That could happen again this year. I'm still keeping an open mind but going to book something for home this week- last year we left it too late and all self catering options were gone and we don't want to end up in a hotel again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I would advise anyone here that if your ferry is running, if your campsites are fully operational and if you don't have to isolate or quarantine on your arrival in France then you should 100% go.

I think this part of your post is probably more likely to be why people aren't going to get to go this year unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think this part of your post is probably more likely to be why people aren't going to get to go this year unfortunately.

Do you think that there will be quarantine for arrivals from Ireland in France in the Summer then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Do you think that there will be quarantine for arrivals from Ireland in France in the Summer then ?

Either that or campsites won't be open.

I'm really really hoping they are, but recent reports from Spain are worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Thanks for your post, Flangemeistro.
    We also sailed last August, and had an enjoyable 2 weeks.
    The ferry was like a ghost ship, no problem keeping as far away from others as you wanted.
    The campsite was more of less normal, people wore masked into the shop and bar, and while queueing for food etc.
    All on-street non-food markets were cancelled, except one large one.
    Everyone at it wore masks and more or less kept a bit of distance from others.
    Masks were in evident in all shops, I walked into a Bar-Tabac sans mask and was ordered out instantly.
    We did a bit of cycling etc and the young lassie did a sailing school type "camp" in the mornings.
    Now, things are a lot stricter now in France with curfews etc, so that would need to change for us to consider going this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

great post.

I have the boat paid for since 2019 and the credit will run out in Dec 2021. It will take a lot to stop us going this summer!
    Whether its tests or self isolating when we get back, we will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Baybay

We too are looking very much forward to France this summer, particularly as we were amongst those who deferred last year.
    However, as we don’t expect to be vaccinated any time soon & keeping an eye on the situation in France, we’re wondering about our end of May travel date in what has the potential to be, the middle of a French third wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

We're deferred from last year also. Due to go for first two weeks in August.

Feeling somewhat pessimistic about the chances of it happening, but it's months away and as we've learned over past year lots can change in a very short space of time!

Here's hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Peckham wrote: »
    We're deferred from last year also. Due to go for first two weeks in August.

Feeling somewhat pessimistic about the chances of it happening, but it's months away and as we've learned over past year lots can change in a very short space of time!

Here's hoping!

Yep we're in that position too although we had deferred from the beginning of July last year to the same time this year.
    Not looking good at the moment but we have our fingers and toes crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

We cancelled our original booking for France 2020 around Easter last year, when we had to make a call or lose our money. When things improved, we rebooked a different holiday in France and off we went. It was the best decision we made all year. We had a lovely holiday - didn't do all the things we might have done outside of pandemic times, but had lots of lazy pool days in the sun and meals in the open air. It was difficult to go in the toxic environment and I am afraid that it looks like the same environment is building for 2021. But you have to make decisions in your own families interests. That can be done responsibly and safely when it comes to travel as in other things. Have a booking in place for this summer (July) so could be the same this year - cancel and rearrange. Kept it quiet last year, won't do that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We stayed in Ireland last year and did our bit to keep COVID at bay, it felt good to be playing our part, we will probably do it again this year and I'd recommend everybody else do it also

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭josip

We stayed in Ireland last year. We are unlikely to do it again this year. I'd recommend everybody else to do whatever they want to do this year, stay or go, and not to worry about what others recommend or think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

We stayed in Ireland last year and did our bit to keep COVID at bay, it felt good to be playing our part, we will probably do it again this year and I'd recommend everybody else do it also

All other things being equal wouldn't you be doing an even better job keeping Covid at bay if you holidayed in a country with an R rate lower than Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

54and56 wrote: »
    All other things being equal wouldn't you be doing an even better job keeping Covid at bay if you holidayed in a country with an R rate lower than Ireland?

Yes and No. If your holiday resort is full of Irish, English etc, you have no idea what the R rate is there.

Then you are also on cramp boat or plane so chances increase there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Yes and No. If your holiday resort is full of Irish, English etc, you have no idea what the R rate is there.

The amount of contact with other people on a ferry is much smaller than the amount of contact on a plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭josip

yiddo59 wrote: »
    The amount of contact with other people on a ferry is much smaller than the amount of contact on a plane!

And you can also remain outside on the (UK) ferry which wasn't an option on the plane the last time I checked.

Went on the W B Yeats this past summer..
    No problem with 6 meters social distancing, never mind 6 feet...

If you really want to "do your bit" and feel good about your civic contribution to society you probably shouldn't holiday at all as it (generally) means taking journeys and doing activities which are unnecessary and increase the risk you pose to society relative to just staying home.

If you do want to holiday and are committed to doing so responsibly you can do so just as easily travelling to and staying in a campsite in France as you can travelling to and staying in a campsite or hotel etc in Ireland.

End of my "Covid" discussion on this French Ferry & Campsite thread.

• Advertisement

yiddo59 wrote: »

True but its also a high risk. Queuing to get off the boat is longer and worst than plane. More staff on the boat so it increases the risk there also.

A plane you are less than 2 meters from most, but the aircon is a great assest.

Both aren't ideal. UK recommending not to travel in the summer also

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We went to Italy last year and it was safer being there than in this country.
    Much safer as they had mandatory masks,enforced social distancing,lower infection rates, lower R number than us.

Heres my post from last year

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114213426&postcount=3

Id recommend every one get the f**k out of this kip , not waste your money on over priced hotels and rip off drink / food prices - because believe me everything will have gone up in price because the hospitality industry will want to recoup some of their losses of the last year. It`ll be a complete rip off on a staycation this year.

Staycation?? - Ill be out of here at the first opportunity!!!!

True but its also a high risk. Queuing to get off the boat is longer and worst than plane. More staff on the boat so it increases the risk there also.

Went to Malta last Summer, plane was packed. At least 5 others within 2m of me for the 4 hours I was on the flight.

Everyone wore masks apart from when they were eating or drinking.

Wasn't the most comfortable of trips wearing a mask for such an extended period of time but was grand.

Exiting the plane was a joke, everyone jumped up and were like sardines trying to get off. Can't understand why the flight crew couldn't manage disembarkation by having everyone stay seated and invite each row in turn to stand and exit.

54and56 wrote: »
    Went to Malta last Summer, plane was packed. At least 5 others within 2m of me for the 4 hours I was on the flight.

Everyone wore masks apart from when they were eating or drinking.

Wasn't the most comfortable of trips wearing a mask for such an extended period of time but was grand.

Exiting the plane was a joke, everyone jumped up and were like sardines trying to get off. Can't understand why the flight crew couldn't manage disembarkation by having everyone stay seated and invite each row in turn to stand and exit.

Because the staff are under pressure to turn the plane around quickly.

Holidays abroad might be an option yet, we booked France but very unlikely we go.

I don't mind people heading away, but the same people then moan when another lockdown starts.

You think the air-con in a plane is "a great asset"? What planet are you on!
    I've never got off any lenght of a plane trip without a sniffle or sore eyes...

If you are so determined not to go anywhere, why come onto a thread called "France Ferry & Campsite info" ?

Lots of threads in After Hours to spread your gospel if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Beginning to look like all travel is going to be stopped for this year.
    The UK and Ire seem to be finally coming together and will follow the same strategy.

I have never understood why Europe hasn't locked down as a continent. The borders are already there and you stop international flights coming in.
    Everyone could move around Europe to some degree then.
    No leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I don't know about anyone else, after having had to cancel France twice last year - if Ireland locks up a bit until we are all vaccinated -.I'd just be happy to have a walk outside the 5km limit and being able to open up our society a bit more would feel like a holiday. France can wait.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you are so determined not to go anywhere, why come onto a thread called "France Ferry & Campsite info" ?

Why don't you read Average_Runner's posts before attacking him?

He isn't staying home and isn't advocating that other people stay home.

Fire...... Aim...... Ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Haven’t seen you post here before but thanks for the contribution.

• Advertisement

I been on this thread along time before you. I also said I had a trip booked to France this year

"The cabin air system is designed to operate most efficiently by delivering approximately 50 percent outside air and 50 percent filtered, recirculated air. This normally provides between 15 to 20 cubic feet of total air supply per minute per person in economy class. The total air supply is essentially sterile and particle-free. Cabin air circulation is continuous. Air is always flowing into and out of the cabin. Total airflow to the cabin is supplied at a bulk flow rate equivalent to 20 to 30 air changes per hour.” In comparison, a normal office building usually changes its air four times every hour. "

Everyone wants to get to France, enjoy the weather, the pool, the wine, the food and relaxation.

Advertisement