Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Booked a staycation today :-(

Still have the ferry booked but looking increasingly unlikely to be travelling to France for us this year! Not prepared to quarantine on arrival back into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

amor3 wrote: »
    Booked a staycation today :-(

Still have the ferry booked but looking increasingly unlikely to be travelling to France for us this year! Not prepared to quarantine on arrival back into Ireland.

Certainly the messaging we are getting from government seems indicate restrictions will last well into the year. Grim for those if us with optimistic trips booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭josip

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    Certainly the messaging we are getting from government seems indicate restrictions will last well into the year. Grim for those if us with optimistic trips booked.

As the govt are fond of saying, hold firm, stay the course, we're nearly there.
    They're trying to scare us into booking staycations.

I can't see fines/quarantine for anyone planning to travel June or later, PCR test or proof of vaccination will be the most that could be required. Our vaccination program will have reached Group 12, Key Workers by June (crystal ball)
    The British will have been travelling on holidays since May to Spain/Greece and any other country eager for their tourist cash, thanks to their vaccinated status.
    Does anyone think we will still be prepared to accept €2,000/quarantine at that point in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

josip wrote: »
    The British will have been travelling on holidays since May to Spain/Greece and any other country eager for their tourist cash, thanks to their vaccinated status.

Where is the evidence for this?

Where is the evidence for this?

I can't provide evidence for something that hasn't happened yet :)

However Greece is already trialing vaccine passports and travel corridors with Israel.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/greece-agrees-coronavirus-vaccine-passport-deal-with-israel-as-trial-run/
    The UK is the next logical choice there.

El Pais have reported similar and which European country do you think is furthest advanced with their vaccinations and accounts for 50% more tourists to Spain every year than any EU country?
    https://english.elpais.com/economy_and_business/2021-02-09/spains-government-pinning-hopes-on-a-vaccination-passport-to-help-kick-start-ailing-tourism-sector.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Baybay

We may also have to consider what other governments will accept into their own countries, not just what our own guidelines will be by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

By June we may being a position where Northern Ireland is fully vaccinated, and offering vaccinations to Rep.Ireland residents who are prepared to pay.
    Unless there is a major escalation of vaccination here, people in their 30's, 40's and 50's won't be vaccinated before next autumn.
    A NI Covid vaccination "passport" , with a Rep Ire EU passport could be the best chance of travel to France/Spain/Germany this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    By June we may being a position where Northern Ireland is fully vaccinated, and offering vaccinations to Rep.Ireland residents who are prepared to pay.
    Unless there is a major escalation of vaccination here, people in their 30's, 40's and 50's won't be vaccinated before next autumn.
    A NI Covid vaccination "passport" , with a Rep Ire EU passport could be the best chance of travel to France/Spain/Germany this summer.

And what about families with children?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

SusanC10 wrote: »
    And what about families with children?

If children need a vaccination passport to travel, will it matter which jurisdiction you get the "jabs" in?
    Or whether it was free in Cavan or £100 in Fermanagh?

Children can't be vaccinated for this year's travel.
    They'll probably need PCR tests instead, depending on their age and destination country criteria.
    But don't forget, govts have been telling us for the last 6 months that children don't spread it (much).

Once the vaccines have been successfully Phase 3 trialed for Under 16s it'll make things easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Children can't be vaccinated.
    They'll need PCR tests.
    But don't forget, govts have been telling us for the last 6 months that children don't spread it (much).

Children will be vaccinated if the up take among adults is not high enough.

Right now they don't want to give it to children as no tests were done in this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭molly dolly

I'm a tad depressed. No france, and the Irish holiday options are not floating my boat. Two years running no real break. Totally first world problem I know but with 3 fiesty boys, two full time jobs and very busy lives I love two weeks of unplugging and chillaxing with some exploring french country side. I know the grind of the last year is taking a toll on me mentally and I'm tired and cranky.

Children will be vaccinated if the up take among adults is not high enough.

Right now they don't want to give it to children as no tests were done in this category.

Sorry, my post above only related to this summer's travel.
    Updated now to make that clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just got my mobile home number :( Haven't got the heart to look at it on the site map!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭mrskinner

Special offer on French autoroute toll tag.

If you use the French Autoroute system you may like
    to have a toll tag and avoid the bother of paying money into machines at the tolls.

Go to www.atmb.com where just now you can order an ATMB tag for €1.90!

This offer will not last too long more!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

mrskinner wrote: »

to have a toll tag and avoid the bother of paying money into machines at the tolls.

Link doesn't work.

ATMB dot com

Thanks, but excuse my French, what does the ttc/mois mean?
    Is it €1.90 per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Baybay

what does the ttc/mois mean?

Toutes taxes comprises is ttc so I think the monthly rate includes all taxes but double check, I only really have menu French!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

AFAIK

This is for the easypass style thing. You still have to pay tolls as here by putting credit on your 1.90 tag!

We tried it a couple of years ago and it would not take Irish cards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in my experience most if not all of the toll booths take contactless payment

The ATMB website is in English and French.

This toll tag is fixed to windshield. You do not need to open windows to pay. Payment is taken automatically. Your Visa card is used to get the tag, and the card is billed by the tolls people when you return home. You cannot put money into the tag. At the moment it can be bought for €1.90.
    You only pay a fee of €1.90 each month you use the tag. Any month you do not use tag there is no charge!, You will get a detailed bill sent to Visa Card showing all the tolls you were charged for.
    There is no saving money but it avoids your passenger trying to reach out of the car window to put money in the pay machine.
    There is a similar system in operation on Irish motorways.... the fast lane.

The ATMB website is in English and French.

This toll tag is fixed to windshield. You do not need to open windows to pay. Payment is taken automatically. Your Visa card is used to get the tag, and the card is billed by the tolls people when you return home. You cannot put money into the tag. At the moment it can be bought for €1.90.
    You only pay a fee of €1.90 each month you use the tag. Any month you do not use tag there is no charge!, You will get a detailed bill sent to Visa Card showing all the tolls you were charged for.
    There is no saving money but it avoids your passenger trying to reach out of the car window to put money in the pay machine.
    There is a similar system in operation on Irish motorways.... the fast lane.

I remember at least a few Peages in France that had a drive through lane (30kph), so sometimes it can also be a timesaver. eg

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4828315,5.5420964,3a,75y,284.87h,89.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVEaYur59Eand5zRwVtHuEw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Anyone holding out hope for this summer?

We're booked first two weeks July. My husband is vaccinated. I should be by then (cross border worker). I'm thinking of moving to August though as by then most adults in Ireland should be vaccinated. Looks like the rest of Europe has taken a different stance to travel- the EU is already coming down hard on countries like Belgium re travel restrictions. I think by June the situation will be very different. We both work from home so no issue isolating on return either.

MizMix wrote: »

We're booked first two weeks July. My husband is vaccinated. I should be by then (cross border worker). I'm thinking of moving to August though as by then most adults in Ireland should be vaccinated. Looks like the rest of Europe has taken a different stance to travel- the EU is already coming down hard on countries like Belgium re travel restrictions. I think by June the situation will be very different. We both work from home so no issue isolating on return either.

Not just hoping, Landbridge booked for 2nd week of July.
    Touch and go if we'll have gotten a jab by then (18-54 cohort), I think we might just about get the first before we go, in which case it would have to be either AZ or Janssen.Kids won't anyway, so we'll probably have to PCR on the way out.
    Dog has gotten his rabies jab :)
    I don't expect any restrictions by the time we return to Ireland.

For more info on autoroutes and tolls go to

Www dot drive-france dot com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ferry is still booked for August, we'll see I guess. Also have a couple of Irish breaks booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Also have Ferry booked for August and hope before the balance is due in June we will be able make a call on paying, cancelling or perhaps pushing out to Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Ferry booked for 3rd week in June. I very much doubt that we will be going. We won't be paying the balance and will cancel ahead of the balance being due. If things look better in early Summer, we can book again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Great to see there's still a few being hopeful- the anti travel narrative is all you hear at the moment despite the vaccine rollout ramping up soon. We have booked a staycation as a backup as last year by the time our flights etc were cancelled we had to book a hotel.

Advertisement