Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

MizMix wrote: »
    Great to see there's still a few being hopeful- the anti travel narrative is all you hear at the moment despite the vaccine rollout ramping up soon. We have booked a staycation as a backup as last year by the time our flights etc were cancelled we had to book a hotel.

We have also booked a Staycation (with flexible cancellation) for August as a backup. Last Summer, we didn't get a break at all so booked a Plan B in early January this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

We've booked the 1st 2 wks in August (work shutdown so can't move dates), wife is vaccinated (health care worker), not sure will I be. But we'll be booking a staycation with the caravan for the same 2 wks just as a precaution. We'll know by end of June what's happening. Positivity is beginning to wane, buy with contingency well get away at least v

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

I've pulled the plug. Had booked with our 2020 deposit for first 2 weeks of July. Not going to have the vaccines by then plus the passport office closing leaves us with a couple of the kids with expired passports. It's going to be too much hassle and with so many unknowns still in play.
    Thank fully the campsite have agreed to move the deposit to 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Great to see there's still a few being hopeful- the anti travel narrative is all you hear at the moment despite the vaccine rollout ramping up soon. We have booked a staycation as a backup as last year by the time our flights etc were cancelled we had to book a hotel.

TBH I'd be more worried about the situation in France, they seem to be dragging their feet quite a bit regarding the vaccinations

It could be a case that things are opening up here by June but are still locked down in France

It'll be all eyes on the UK in the coming weeks, if they've managed to sufficiently vaccinate the more vulnerable population then the mortality and hospitalisation rates will hopefully drop considerably even as they open up

If that's the case then other countries will be able to start opening up as they've hit the same vaccination milestone. If not, then back into lockdown it'll be :(

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Anyone holding out hope for this summer?

We're booked first two weeks July. My husband is vaccinated. I should be by then (cross border worker). I'm thinking of moving to August though as by then most adults in Ireland should be vaccinated. Looks like the rest of Europe has taken a different stance to travel- the EU is already coming down hard on countries like Belgium re travel restrictions. I think by June the situation will be very different. We both work from home so no issue isolating on return either.

Booked for 2 weeks heading out last Saturday in August. Fairly optimistic that we'll be traveling but as we have no kids we can always knock it back to October if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Well we've just realised there's kid's passport out of date here too. That just about puts the tin hat on it. Going to fire in an application anyway, at least it will be in the queue. Aiming for first 2w in August, fingers crossed and double crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

TBH I'd be more worried about the situation in France, they seem to be dragging their feet quite a bit regarding the vaccinations

It could be a case that things are opening up here by June but are still locked down in France

It'll be all eyes on the UK in the coming weeks, if they've managed to sufficiently vaccinate the more vulnerable population then the mortality and hospitalisation rates will hopefully drop considerably even as they open up

If that's the case then other countries will be able to start opening up as they've hit the same vaccination milestone. If not, then back into lockdown it'll be :(

UK might not see a massive drop as they are only giving one dose to most and follow up 12 weeks later.

The results from our nursing homes are great and very positive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

jay0109 wrote: »
    I've pulled the plug. Had booked with our 2020 deposit for first 2 weeks of July. Not going to have the vaccines by then plus the passport office closing leaves us with a couple of the kids with expired passports. It's going to be too much hassle and with so many unknowns still in play.
    Thank fully the campsite have agreed to move the deposit to 2022

Also booked to head off first week of July, I'm focused on the glass being half full :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Did I miss something about the passport office?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Did I miss something about the passport office?

It's shut at the moment, only taking applications for emergency travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's shut at the moment, only taking applications for emergency travel

I think that's going to rule out our July trip so :eek:

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think that's going to rule out our July trip so :eek:

Are they taking online applications? Worth checking, maybe it's just that the office is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Are they taking online applications? Worth checking, maybe it's just that the office is closed
    suspended all applications until we're out of level 5

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Surely they'll have to open passport office up in April. We won't be in level 5 past then or there will be revolt. Patience is wearing thin on many folks now..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Maximus_1 wrote:
    Surely they'll have to open passport office up in April. We won't be in level 5 past then or there will be revolt. Patience is wearing thin on many folks now..

Who or what do you think we should revolt against?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Maximus_1 wrote: »

Could easily be at level 5 if vaccination dosent ramp up.
    Not much point revolting if everything stays shut, and there isn't a critical mass of people happy to openly defy the Gardai on the streets, nor any signs that businesses would open up against Govt. orders..

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

First Up wrote: »
    Who or what do you think we should revolt against?

Tis a figure of speech. I'm not talking about something like the lunacy on the streets of Dublin yesterday. Moreso that the general population from whom I have spoken to in the past couple of weeks are getting really tired of things now Vs previous lockdowns. Politicians know this, MM already under pressure in his own party etc. In my own circle of friends all of us have been very compliant but this past week it's the first I have seen them saying screw this 5k limit etc. Vaccines are starting to work and hopefully rollout accelerating so fingers crossed level 5 soon be a thing of the past. Of course I could be completely wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Decided that June travel isn't an option. Irish ferries told me I will lose my deposit.
    I mistakenly taught flexible option was automatically included seems like I got mixed up with the campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

votecounts wrote: »
    suspended all applications until we're out of level 5

I kind off reads that way from their site, but i managed to renew mine about 3 weeks ago and it only took 1 week for the new one to arrive - not that i can use it!

https://passportonline.dfa.ie/Apply/Passport

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    Decided that June travel isn't an option. Irish ferries told me I will lose my deposit.
    I mistakenly taught flexible option was automatically included seems like I got mixed up with the campsite.

Yeah they still need you to select it even though it's free at the moment

Maybe they'll let you add it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I kind off reads that way from their site, but i managed to renew mine about 3 weeks ago and it only took 1 week for the new one to arrive - not that i can use it!

https://passportonline.dfa.ie/Apply/Passport

My understanding is you can renew online but can’t do a new application that requires supporting docs? I’ve to send in our passports etc for the new baby’s one and there no one to receive them in level 5, so you don’t want your own stuff getting stuck in there. It’s 7 weeks since I attempted to register my baby’s birth and still haven’t been able to get a birth cert (they used to issue on the day in person!)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Yeah they still need you to select it even though it's free at the moment

Maybe they'll let you add it now?

They were very decent and amended it.
    Thanks for the help and advice

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    They were very decent and amended it.
    Thanks for the help and advice

Happy days, that was a total moonshot to be honest

Glad it worked out :)

Got a call from Eurocamp this morning saying that one of our Campsites not available this Summer and offering refund of our Deposit so we have accepted that.
    Going to cancel the Ferry now.

Onwards to 2022 !

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Got a call from Eurocamp this morning saying that one of our Campsites not available this Summer and offering refund of our Deposit so we have accepted that.
    Going to cancel the Ferry now.

Onwards to 2022 !

Did they say why? May I ask

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Did they say why? May I ask

No, they just said that Eurocamp would not be on that particular site (Sylvamar) this Summer.

No, they just said that Eurocamp would not be on that particular site (Sylvamar) this Summer.

Thks SusanC10, big site they are letting go. But taking bookings for it in 2022...

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Thks SusanC10, big site they are letting go. But taking bookings for it in 2022...

That's odd about 2022. We are going to decide on 2022 at a later date but had assumed Sylvamar would be permanently gone from Eurocamp.

That's odd about 2022. We are going to decide on 2022 at a later date but had assumed Sylvamar would be permanently gone from Eurocamp.

I checked the eurocamp and that's why I asked.. Were (I am) still hoping to get away in August not going to Sylvamar but wondering is it a company thing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭McSween

Anybody going to do a wine trip in September? It has been two years and I am very tempted. My father goes with me and he will be vaccinated fora second time by mid April. They are fantastic trips even if time over there is tight

Advertisement