Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I booked for September just last week, before the 10% discount. I checked to see just how much I could save by cancelling and rebooking now with the discount. It turned out to be more expensive now with the discount, the crossing price was indeed 10% cheaper but the price of the cabin had doubled from €42 to €84!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

MorganIRL wrote: »
    10% sale on IF. €400 cheaper than when we booked b4 Xmas. Has anyone cancelled before and rebooked for cheaper. Remember someone saying something about it on forum a few yrs ago. Have 1/2 of bill pd and the flexibility option pd for. Offices closed so can't ask them??

Check the Flexi terms of your original booking but IIRC you are free to cancel for a full refund (excluding the Flexi cost) up to a day before the sailing. In the past what I've done is book the "sale" journey to make sure I've that locked in and then cancel the previous Flexi booking.

BTW, is there a code for the current 10% sale on IF? I'd like to give the WB Lates a try on the way over but it was coming in €250 more for that single leg than Stena from Rosslare on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Check the Flexi terms of your original booking but IIRC you are free to cancel for a full refund (excluding the Flexi cost) up to a day before the sailing. In the past what I've done is book the "sale" journey to make sure I've that locked in and then cancel the previous Flexi booking.

BTW, is there a code for the current 10% sale on IF? I'd like to give the WB Lates a try on the way over but it was coming in €250 more for that single leg than Stena from Rosslare on the same day.

No code, just automatically came up when I went through the booking process, saw the ad on Instagram and went to the web page..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Feedback from some friends who travelled on the WBY over the last week. Sorry to say they found it underwhelming on several levels.

The good bits were the shorter (door to door) journey time and speedy embarkation and disembarkation.

Unfortunately in almost every other respect they found it a step down from the Oscar Wilde - small cabins, austere furnishings and lack of atmosphere. They ate in the "good" restaurant (Lady Gregory) and found it nice but no better than the Berneval on the OW.

The cabins seem to be very small - they had a 4 berth and found it cramped. Only two of them so it must be a right squeeze for four.

Loads of French kids so forget internet access but that was the same on the OW. A lot of northern accents so the move to Dublin seems to be working.

They were regulars on the OW and chatted to some familiar faces on board. They got the feeling that the crew are unimpressed as well!

It will be later this year when I try it and the sailing from Dublin is still attractive. Other than that, I think I'll travel with low expectations. We used to look forward to the OW; not so sure about this one.

MorganIRL wrote: »
    No code, just automatically came up when I went through the booking process, saw the ad on Instagram and went to the web page..

No joy for me I'm afraid. They want €699 for the Dublin -> Cherbourg leg (2 adults + one juvenile in a 2.25m high car with a 4 berth window cabin) Vs Stena from Rosslare on the same day for the same spec trip who are €456.

I was trying to convince myself that it would be worth an extra €100 or even €150 to "upgrade" to the WBL but based on the reviews above I don't think it's worth anything extra other than the convenience of sailing from a port 20 minutes from the house but then we like the trip to Rosslare and lunch there etc so that's not a biggie.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Feedback from some friends who travelled on the WBY over the last week. Sorry to say they found it underwhelming on several levels.

The good bits were the shorter (door to door) journey time and speedy embarkation and disembarkation.

Unfortunately in almost every other respect they found it a step down from the Oscar Wilde - small cabins, austere furnishings and lack of atmosphere. They ate in the "good" restaurant (Lady Gregory) and found it nice but no better than the Berneval on the OW.

The cabins seem to be very small - they had a 4 berth and found it cramped. Only two of them so it must be a right squeeze for four.

Loads of French kids so forget internet access but that was the same on the OW. A lot of northern accents so the move to Dublin seems to be working.

They were regulars on the OW and chatted to some familiar faces on board. They got the feeling that the crew are unimpressed as well!

It will be later this year when I try it and the sailing from Dublin is still attractive. Other than that, I think I'll travel with low expectations. We used to look forward to the OW; not so sure about this one.

Good to hear something about it, although our holiday starts as we leave the hse, I don't expect a whole lot from the ferry, it's providing a function ie getting us to our destination. As long as it's clean and doesn't cancel and gets us to France on time. Happy days.

MorganIRL wrote:
    Good to hear something about it, although our holiday starts as we leave the hse, I don't expect a whole lot from the ferry, it's providing a function ie getting us to our destination. As long as it's clean and doesn't cancel and gets us to France on time. Happy days.

We are entitled to expect more than the bare minimum, not least because the WBY is replacing a ship that used to do that.

I'm sure it is technically superior to the OW but it would be a shame if it provides an inferior travel experience.

I was trying to convince myself that it would be worth an extra €100 or even €150 to "upgrade" to the WBL but based on the reviews above I don't think it's worth anything extra other than the convenience of sailing from a port 20 minutes from the house but then we like the trip to Rosslare and lunch there etc so that's not a biggie.

I think it is probably still superior to the Stena Horizon and the convenience of sailing from (and back into) Dublin is worth a bit to me.

It just doesn't sound as good as some of us might have expected but I'll find out for myself in due course.

No joy for me I'm afraid. They want €699 for the Dublin -> Cherbourg leg (2 adults + one juvenile in a 2.25m high car with a 4 berth window cabin) Vs Stena from Rosslare on the same day for the same spec trip who are €456.

I agree. I would rather the money to go towards a better spec'd mobile home or something extra for the kids while over in FR. As I said earlier. It's getting me to my destination, the cheaper it is the better. The reason we've gone with IF is the travel distance for us from Mayo is saving 2 hours both ways.. with small ones that could be the straw that breaks the camel's back :-)

We are entitled to expect more than the bare minimum, not least because the WBY is replacing a ship that used to do that.

I'm sure it is technically superior to the OW but it would be a shame if it provides an inferior travel experience.

100% agree with u, we just get a different use of the that part of the journey than others. I'm not surprised the rooms are smaller, it's all about getting return for these companies, I hope we have a nicer experience than the op had when we go in june.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Also its quicker to drive to rosslare than the boat from dublin down that way. Also the new motorway will get you there even quicker next year.

Dublin port can be really bad with traffic also depending o sailing time

Also its quicker to drive to rosslare than the boat from dublin down that way. Also the new motorway will get you there even quicker next year.

Dublin port can be really bad with traffic also depending o sailing time

Yes, it will be interesting when the motorway opens to Rosslare but a ferry from Dublin is tempting - especially on the way back with a car load of wine!

I'll give the WBY a try; it sounds like its below expectations but I'd be surprised if it isn't still better than Stena. A big difference in price could change that equation of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BF charged me €460 return for car with two adults in a 4 berth inside cabin,added another adult and it rose to 550. Pretty good value and sailing times are excellent.

BF charged me €460 return for car with two adults in a 4 berth inside cabin,added another adult and it rose to 550. Pretty good value and sailing times are excellent.

€450 is about what the WBY is showing outside of high summer. Pont Aven is a nice boat but Cork - Roscoff and one sailing a week doesn't suit me.

€450 is about what the WBY is showing outside of high summer. Pont Aven is a nice boat but Cork - Roscoff and one sailing a week doesn't suit me.

Similar. I like the Pont Aven and prefer Roscoff to Cherbourg. I'm also fairly agnostic as to whether we depart from Rosslare or Cork (both become a bit of a day trip with lunch etc before boarding) but the sailing I need in July is fully booked so not even being quoted a fare.

Rosslare to Cherbourg return with Stena it is this year which is absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

My sister just back from France, on the outward sailing there was no playroom but there was actually one there on the way back, she returned on Saturday. She wasn't very impressed with the overall layout of the ship, but hopefully if they are listening to people's complaints things will improve. We are heading in July so fingers crossed all the teething problems will be resolved by then.

stephen_n wrote:
    Poite will get it, regardless of Kiwi moaning he is the second best ref in Europe. Barnes and Garces doing the semis I’d say guarantees he’s getting the final.

amor3 wrote:
    My sister just back from France, on the outward sailing there was no playroom but there was actually one there on the way back, she returned on Saturday. She wasn't very impressed with the overall layout of the ship, but hopefully if they are listening to people's complaints things will improve. We are heading in July so fingers crossed all the teething problems will be resolved by then.

They can't do much about the layout but I'd have thought a play area was essential, especially during school holidays.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They can't do much about the layout but I'd have thought a play area was essential, especially during school holidays.
    Surely logic would suggest that if a playroom isn't available then even more kids will be running around (as kids do) presenting a larger insurance risk?

Surely logic would suggest that if a playroom isn't available then even more kids will be running around (as kids do) presenting a larger insurance risk?

Exactly - not to mention getting under the feet of other passengers.

It's actually a very small playroom, not sure how to post a pic but will try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sailed on the WBY last Saturday and found it to be an underwhelming experience.

The boat is bigger and there's a permanent ramp to the car deck so embarking and disembarking is quicker. However the boat is lacking atmosphere or character.

The restaurants aren't great. The brasserie is expensive and the sit down restaurant is €40 pp for adults and €25 for kids for dinner. Breakfast in the sit down is €20 pp for adults and €12 for kids. The OW used to have a "steak" restaurant as well which was a good mid priced option but the WBY doesn't have this option. You can also get pizza at the Cafe layfette at €12 to €14 but be prepared to wait at least an hour for it as they only have one pizza oven. Pizza seems to be the only thing that french students want to eat 😁

There is a children's play area but it's still small which surprised me, I would have thought they would have made it bigger for a family boat.

The cabins are the same size just newer and cleaner and with a funky top bunk that lowers from the ceiling.

The shop appears to be the same size but crisps and sweet costs appear to have been ramped up just like in the restaurants so they are milking it a bit.

I think Irish Ferries mistake is they are marketing the WBY as some sort of mini cruise ship which it definitely isn't. We went with them this time because we had our credit from last summer's fiasco to use but I'd think twice about using them given the prices that are being stated for the summer crossings.

Its starting to look like they've made a dog's dinner of it.

Its starting to look like they've made a dog's dinner if it.

I think they have hyped it up to be something it isn't. It's a nice boat but it's soul less. I also found a number of the staff disinterested when you talked to them.

gandalf wrote:
    I think they have hyped it up to be something it isn't. It's a nice boat but it's soul less. I also found a number of the staff disinterested when you talked to them.

You'd wonder if whoever designed the interior ever travelled on the OW and looked at how people used it - or what customer research went into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

amor3 wrote: »

Looks smaller than the Oscar Wilde playroom was, and it wasn't big.
    It was a bit of a free-for- all in there anyway, with the height regulations ignored, and parents letting their own ones run riot.
    Big kids bouncing off the walls, your heart would be in your mouth waiting for smaller ones to be knocked senseless .

I'd say it was a generic fit out by the boats manufacturers, it feels very standardised to me. The missus said the interior reminded her of the ferry we took from France to the UK last year.

Whilst the OW was dated it did have a more opulent feel about it, the WBY just feels cheap and generic like no real thought went into it.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Looks smaller than the WBY playroom was, and it wasn't big.
    It was a bit of a free-for- all in there anyway, with the height regulations ignored, and parents letting their own ones run riot.
    Big kids bouncing off the walls, your heart would be in your mouth waiting for smaller ones to be knocked senseless .

Totally agree and this one is placed in between, I think, 2 bars, so I can only presume more kids in there without supervision!

gandalf wrote: »
    Sailed on the WBY last Saturday and found it to be an underwhelming experience.

The boat is bigger and there's a permanent ramp to the car deck so embarking and disembarking is quicker. However the boat is lacking atmosphere or character.

The restaurants aren't great. The brasserie is expensive and the sit down restaurant is €40 pp for adults and €25 for kids for dinner. Breakfast in the sit down is €20 pp for adults and €12 for kids. The OW used to have a "steak" restaurant as well which was a good mid priced option but the WBY doesn't have this option. You can also get pizza at the Cafe layfette at €12 to €14 but be prepared to wait at least an hour for it as they only have one pizza oven. Pizza seems to be the only thing that french students want to eat ðŸ˜

There is a children's play area but it's still small which surprised me, I would have thought they would have made it bigger for a family boat.

The cabins are the same size just newer and cleaner and with a funky top bunk that lowers from the ceiling.

The shop appears to be the same size but crisps and sweet costs appear to have been ramped up just like in the restaurants so they are milking it a bit.

I think Irish Ferries mistake is they are marketing the WBY as some sort of mini cruise ship which it definitely isn't. We went with them this time because we had our credit from last summer's fiasco to use but I'd think twice about using them given the prices that are being stated for the summer crossings.

As Eamonn Dunphy said "The Boom Is Back Baby ".

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Looks smaller than the Oscar Wilde playroom was, and it wasn't big.

The parents were in the bar....in their pyjamas ;)

• Advertisement

amor3 wrote: »

At least they have listened to people on this front, when I rang they said they had none, and never mentioned they were putting one in.

I think I'm gonna buy the prepaid meals offer, seems cheaper than someone posted earlier.

I think it's a trick missed by the other companies this year that they never capitalised on the ill feeling towards IF, but I'm sure they must have checked the costings of it and viability of it. The price difference wasn't enough for me to go with them, the cost of diesel for the Xtra miles in the Jeep negates the Xtra journey times from mayo

Advertisement