Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Dónal wrote: »
    Odd as I checked the Irish Ferries website and they had in the ship plan and description of services some info about the salley garden place. Haven't seen any photos of it though which has me suspicious.

I specifically asked was the soft play area gonna be on the boat and they said 'no' I didn't enquire what was in the "Sally gardens" after as my kids liked that soft play area. But I can see why they have ditched it, alot of parents use the soft play area as a drop off area, we go in June and it was mental a few times, I'd have hated to see it in the busier periods..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

for those holding out hope that there'd be a possible service from Roslare using the now idle Oscar Wilde ferry, news just in is that it has been sold off to "MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company" so will not be available to operate routes for Irish ferries
    https://www.rte.ie/amp/1041978/

It cannot be a coincidence that the catastrophic hard brexit which would have occured tomorrow was averted last night (new date is October), and now this morning Oscar Wilde is sold.
    If there was a hard brexit it would have been filled to the gills with lorries to and from the Continent looking to avoid the chaos at Dover from tomorrow onwards, but now they can keep using the Landbridge until at least October so there'd be no need for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Disappointing for Wexford people like myself (and I’m sure others around the south-east too) that the IF service to France seems to be gone forever, then.

I know the Yeats might be a ‘better’ ship but I really don’t see the point in driving what would could be close to three hours north (by the time you get into Dublin Port), and then sail all the way back down the coast again, when Rosslare is only a 20-minute spin away.

We’ve always travelled IF from Rosslare to France before, but are booked on the Stena boat for a trip in June this year. I’ve heard the Stena boat is a bit…..let’s say ‘less luxurious’. Anybody here actually been on it, and if so, what’s it like?

In particular, I’ve heard something about a particularly steep ramp for the car deck?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The trip down the N11 from Cavan was a well known one for us, with a bite to eat in Simon Lamberts and a pint or two somewhere. ( we usually drive down the night before).
    But from now on it'll be just a run up the M3 and straight onto the boat.
    Has to be handier for the considerable numbers of Northern Ireland motor homes and caravans.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

Duffryman wrote: »
    Disappointing for Wexford people like myself (and I’m sure others around the south-east too) that the IF service to France seems to be gone forever, then.

I know the Yeats might be a ‘better’ ship but I really don’t see the point in driving what would could be close to three hours north (by the time you get into Dublin Port), and then sail all the way back down the coast again, when Rosslare is only a 20-minute spin away.

We’ve always travelled IF from Rosslare to France before, but are booked on the Stena boat for a trip in June this year. I’ve heard the Stena boat is a bit…..let’s say ‘less luxurious’. Anybody here actually been on it, and if so, what’s it like?

In particular, I’ve heard something about a particularly steep ramp for the car deck?
    The ramp is steeper than you would experience on the roads but not spectacularly so.
    The Stena Horizon is basic but fine for the journey.
    We like it for the 6 berth cabins which are perfect for our family of 5, the 6 berth cabin is at least twice the size of the standard cabins on Oscar Wilde, the beds are much wider too, which makes them more comfortable to sleep in.
    The one restaurant has similar fare to Stena's Irish sea ferries, its
    reasonable quality and price. There is a bar. I don't think there is any kids entertainment, perhaps bring some games and maybe a tablet or two preloaded with movies or books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We were on it last year with a 1 year old and 3 year old. It was grand - not a lot for them to do on it though. There is a very small play area off the bar, but it doesn't fit many kids in it. I brought a few arts and crafts things in Dealz & the eldest brought some sylvanian family dolls with her which kept her busy for a bit.

The ramp to the upstairs car deck is very steep & tight! And your car is exposed to the elements in the crossing - we were up there on the way back & our car was fairly green & slimy when we got to Rosslare!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

The Stena boat is absolutely fine. We have traveled on it and the OW many times and I think cabins are actually more comfortable on the Stena boat. The bars and seating areas are not as comfy as the OW but not bad at all. Ramps are steep but no steeper than the OW in my memory. As already said, many vehicles are left exposed - the last time we were left with a layer of dried salt on the car; previous occasions it was fine, depends on the wind I would think. We are travelling from Dublin this year, which is a treat as we live in North Dublin and returning via Northern Spain. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

As I said above the Yeats isn't a huge improvement, if any, I suppose it's all down to taste. But I'm coming from the west so I thought well Dublin is only 2.5 hours away from me, whereas Rosslare is 4 - however I made the mistake of going down the quays which added almost an hour :rolleyes: (still didn't want to be hit with more tolls and in fairness it was much quicker going back up the other side) the convoluted route to the port takes time too. By the end of it I was lamenting the lovely relaxed drive to Wexford and the short drive down to the port in Rosslare :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The ship is "less luxurious " ok. Absolutely nothing wrong with it though. The beds were built for big hairy arsed lorry drivers, so are huge compared to IF and BF. Food I'd very good,bar is shyte.
    The ramp is quite steep but manageable. I don't like the way they leave some cars on the top deck,salt is a bitch to wash off.
    I was trying to book for the past few days but their website was soooooo dam slow I gave up. BF were considerably cheaper than IF this year and sailing times are fab,so went with them.

The ship is "less luxurious " ok. Absolutely nothing wrong with it though. The beds were built for big hairy arsed lorry drivers, so are huge compared to IF and BF. Food I'd very good,bar is shyte.
    The ramp is quite steep but manageable. I don't like the way they leave some cars on the top deck,salt is a bitch to wash off.
    I was trying to book for the past few days but their website was soooooo dam slow I gave up. BF were considerably cheaper than IF this year and sailing times are fab,so went with them.

How does it handle rough seas? I have always been put off the Stena ship fearing it wouldn't be as stable. Also I like the idea of the bigger beds IF's are pokey and uncomfortable yokes!

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    How does it handle rough seas? I have always been put off the Stena ship fearing it wouldn't be as stable. Also I like the idea of the bigger beds IF's are pokey and uncomfortable yokes!

The seas didnt bother me at all,then again I prefer rough seas. The food and the beds more than make up for the lack of "luxury " though. The que for food can be off putting, but get there early and be queuing before the restaurant opens. Most of all enjoy the trip. I just got pissed off with their site and gave up last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The steep ramp on Stena might be a problem for nervous drivers and the exposed deck definitely isn't good for your car. I think it handles rough seas much the same as the OW.

The cabins are fine but I dislike queuing for food (we always treated ourselves to the "posh" restaurant on the OW). The bar/seating area on Stena is pretty basic compared to the OW but the photos I've seen of the WBY don't look great either. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm Dublin based so its no contest between the WBY and Stena. I preferred the OW when they both used Rosslare but Stena was adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

josip wrote: »

What about the wind ? And the looking like a muppet trying to fit it ? Youd be on YouTube before the ship left port

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

This whole thing about salt never occurred to me. What's the best way of dealing with it after you disembark? Just get the car washed and give it a good scrubbing, or does that just create saltwater, which will only cause more damage?

Duffryman wrote:
    This whole thing about salt never occurred to me. What's the best way of dealing with it after you disembark? Just get the car washed and give it a good scrubbing, or does that just create saltwater, which will only cause more damage?

Car wash is advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

I am closely following updates on the WB Yeats ferry to France, so thanks to all who post information on it. We travel in a few weeks and are looking forward to it.

Has anyone found out if there is a microwave which passengers can use? We usually buy some goods in the restaurant (Brasserie) to contribute towards using the service but cannot stomach a lot of the food offered. If anyone has travelled onboard or is due to travel soon can you post in this thread if there is a microwave please. I know I already saw this question asked a while ago but haven't seen an answer.

Happy and safe holidays to everyone travelling to France this year.

Mumser wrote: »
    I am closely following updates on the WB Yeats ferry to France, so thanks to all who post information on it. We travel in a few weeks and are looking forward to it.

Has anyone found out if there is a microwave which passengers can use? We usually buy some goods in the restaurant (Brasserie) to contribute towards using the service but cannot stomach a lot of the food offered. If anyone has travelled onboard or is due to travel soon can you post in this thread if there is a microwave please. I know I already saw this question asked a while ago but haven't seen an answer.

Happy and safe holidays to everyone travelling to France this year.

There wasn't a microwave when I travelled.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a microwave for small tasks such as heating up babies bottles

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a microwave for small tasks such as heating up babies bottles

There was talk of a baby bottle warmer but I didn't see that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

We travelled to France on Saturday 13 April. It was fairly bad weather with strong winds from the Southeast. The trip was very easy with no trace of mal de mer (we have 2 bad travellers). Whether the weather was not as bad as feared or the ship is good is some thing I cant answer but it was a good trip.

Cabin was tight but ok ---4 berth outer not club class. Beds were an improvement on OW.

Embarking/disembarking was easy and quick.

Now for the complaints....32 inch TV had 6 channels...no sport available, no Irish channels. Same all over the boat. This is a rubbish service.

The Brasserie has a range of food with big Qs. Prices were ok but food was cold. No evidence of micro waves anywhere. The area is surrounded by lots of seating so many eat there.As a result, QQ!

There is no soft play area a la OW. The hard area is a place for teens to hang out.

Bar was ok . There is only one compared with the OW Gaiety lounge, Piano bar (which I particularly liked) and the big one at the front of the boat (cant remember the name).

Overalll I do not like the deck set up but that is purely my opinion, The stairs give me the willies....I am not good on stairs and dont like the stepsize.

Overall, it got us there in comfort and on time on a bad day..the HSS to Uk was cancelled due to weather! Food service and TV need sorting but it did the main job well.

Mumser wrote:

Have you tried calling Irish Ferries and asking them?

First Up wrote: »
    Have you tried calling Irish Ferries and asking them?

I'll do that and post here what they say.

sceach16 wrote:
    Overall, it got us there in comfort and on time on a bad day..the HSS to Uk was cancelled due to weather! Food service and TV need sorting but it did the main job well.

Doesn't sound great. Good to hear the crossing was smooth but the rest of the experience wasn't good. Hopefully they will take feedback seriously and make improvements - adding TV channels shouldn't be hard.

The absence of a play area on a boat catering for family holidays is hard to understand - there is time to rectify this before the summer.

I'm curious about the brasserie; was the cold food served supposed to be hot?

I just spoke to Irish Ferries and the person I talked to said there are no public microwaves but that staff could reheat food behind the counters. She wasn't too clear though. :confused:
    Yes, what I have read about the food doesn't sound good. Hopefully teething problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

First Up wrote: »
    Doesn't sound great. Good to hear the crossing was smooth but the rest of the experience wasn't good. Hopefully they will take feedback seriously and make improvements - adding TV channels shouldn't be hard.

The absence of a play area on a boat catering for family holidays is hard to understand - there is time to rectify this before the summer.

I'm curious about the brasserie; was the cold food served supposed to be hot?

Overall, they delivered the goods. Fine tuning on services is needed.

The problem with the brasserie food is U have to go to different serving counters so food served first is cooling as we Q at other counters, Then we Q to pay! Any delay in one order delays the group. This is an inbuilt problem with the style of service. Microwaves would be useful.

Incidentally , I will be passing these comments to Irish ferries and comment on the return trip in 10 days time.

sceach16 wrote:
    Overall, they delivered the goods. Fine tuning on services is needed.

Yes, none of those problems need a week in dry dock to fix! Hopefully just teething problems.
    sceach16 wrote:
    The problem with the brasserie food is U have to go to different serving counters so food served first is cooling as we Q at other counters, Then we Q to pay! Any delay in one order delays the group. This is an inbuilt problem with the style of service. Microwaves would be useful.

Is there a table service restaurant as well? The one on the Oscar Wilde (Berneval) was a bit dearer but a much nicer experience.
    sceach16 wrote:
    Incidentally , I will be passing these comments to Irish ferries and comment on the return trip in 10 days time.

I hope everyone does the same. And I hope they take them on board (pun intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Mumser wrote: »
    I just spoke to Irish Ferries and the person I talked to said there are no public microwaves but that staff could reheat food behind the counters. She wasn't too clear though. :confused:
    Yes, what I have read about the food doesn't sound good. Hopefully teething problems.

LEt's hope they listen and make the changes though.
    On the OW, the microwave in the self service buffet area also had beside it bottle warmers - it was fantastic when travelling with our little one when he still needed bottles made up.

Similarly someone mentioned the soft play area now longer there. The little ones loved it there... as I'm sure the grown ups did!
    I really hope they have a good feedback system in place, and take onboard valued comments and ideas from the paying customer.

Otherwise, a new ship wouldn't be a good a draw to take our custom and we'll go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Contacted them and they have just replied.
    "Microwave and bottle warmer is in the Cafe Lafayette"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

10% sale on IF. €400 cheaper than when we booked b4 Xmas. Has anyone cancelled before and rebooked for cheaper. Remember someone saying something about it on forum a few yrs ago. Have 1/2 of bill pd and the flexibility option pd for. Offices closed so can't ask them??

Advertisement