Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Drumpot wrote:
    Thanks for all the responses everybody, seems like a mixed bag.

Our plan is Dublin to Holyhead, drive to folkstone and stay night.

Next morning Eurotunnel to Calais (haven’t booked this yet) and then 6 hour drive south to our destination.

Coming back we plan to stay near Calais for two days then euro tunnel to houkyhead and home on same day (back in Dublin 11 I think).

Best of luck with it - you will sleep well in Folkestone. Its a 6-7 hour run from/to Holyhead, even without traffic delays. You are wise to break the trip with an overnight stop.

By the way, if you plan to load up on wine, I can recommend a spot not far from Calais that's way better than the "booze cruise" places near the ports or tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

amor3 wrote: »

Sorry, meant to type Santander. Whoops. Hope it haven't gotten to many hopes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

dzer2 wrote: »
    Total for 7 return to France approx 550 euro fuel included.
    Over 1600 on ferry.

€1,600 seems well over the odds for direct ferry even in high season. I'm going out and back in high season with a 4X4 and a 4 berth cabin for less than €1,000 return. Is some of the extra cost the need for 2 X cabins? I guess that could add another €300 and maybe €100 for fuel but that's still less than €1,400.

Still an €800 saving for you if you have the patience and endurance to do it so fair play. €800 goes a long way towards the cost of your campsite or food during the holiday.

oinkely wrote:
    Sorry, meant to type Santander. Whoops. Hope it haven't gotten to many hopes up!

I hope you are more accurate with your SatNav.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

oinkely wrote: »

Haha, just a little :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

oinkely wrote: »

Haha, just a little :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,424 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Has anyone done Ferry to UK, drive to eastern coast, ferry to Holland. We are looking at options for Dunrail(spelling).
    Flights look like the obvious option but just checking if there is another route...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭josip

kippy wrote: »
    Has anyone done Ferry to UK, drive to eastern coast, ferry to Holland. We are looking at options for Dunrail(spelling).
    Flights look like the obvious option but just checking if there is another route...

I've driven to Harwich a couple of times before from Holyhead.

Once I went cross country, once I ended up driving via the NCR in London giving a lift to an old navvy I met on the boat.
    Cross country was a little slower, but more scenic and less stressful.
    I didn't go to Holland though from Harwich so can't comment on that route.
    There is Dover - Dunkirk though which we've done once before and a friend who does it every year and prefers it to Calais.

As far as I know, with less competition and a longer crossing, the ferries to Holland are a bit more expensive than the short Dover-Calais.

I've driven to Harwich a couple of times before from Holyhead.

Once I went cross country, once I ended up driving via the NCR in London giving a lift to an old navvy I met on the boat.
    Cross country was a little slower, but more scenic and less stressful.
    Not having to spend hours on the M25 is a plus.
    I didn't go to Holland though from Harwich so can't comment on the ferry.

There is Dover - Dunkirk though which we've done once before and a friend who does it every year and prefers it to Calais.
    As far as I know, with less competition and a longer crossing, the ferries to Holland are a bit more expensive than the short Dover-Calais.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

When I went Hull/Zeebrugge there was also a sailing to Holland (Rotterdam) -.P & O ferries. The drive from Holyhead to Hull was a manageable 3 hours approx from port to port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Drumpot wrote: »
    I know this is the ferry thread but has anybody done ferry to holy head, drive through UK and tunnel to France?

I normally do the ferry to France but we decided to try the drive this time around. Interested if anybody has any stories or experience to share.

In 2017 we did Dublin-Holyhead Ferry then drove to just outside London in 1 day and stayed in an Airbnb there and did London/ visited friends etc for a few nights. Drove to Folkestone and got the Channel Tunnel across to Calais and drove approx 5 hours to Dijon in 1 day and then on the following day to the Alps.
    We stayed elsewhere in France too and returned to Ireland from Roscoff.

Not overly keen to do Landbridge again without a specific reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

€1,600 seems well over the odds for direct ferry even in high season. I'm going out and back in high season with a 4X4 and a 4 berth cabin for less than €1,000 return. Is some of the extra cost the need for 2 X cabins? I guess that could add another €300 and maybe €100 for fuel but that's still less than €1,400.

Still an €800 saving for you if you have the patience and endurance to do it so fair play. €800 goes a long way towards the cost of your campsite or food during the holiday.

It Pays for the 3rd week in the campsite. We go the last week in July first 2 in Aug.
    1450 euro on IF this morning
    1370 on Stena line

What date is high season for you

6th to the 27th of July which takes in Bastille day etc and is bang in the middle of the high season, according to this website anyway - https://about-france.com/week-planner.htm

6th to the 27th of July which takes in Bastille day etc and is bang in the middle of the high season, according to this website anyway - https://about-france.com/week-planner.htm

Prime time in France but semi prime in Ireland
    Mid July out to end of Aug return are the highest prices on site at the mo.
    Also returning before high season in England

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭sceach16

It Pays for the 3rd week in the campsite. We go the last week in July first 2 in Aug.
    1450 euro on IF this morning
    1370 on Stena line

IMO, high season in France (campsites) is last week July to end of second week August while Irish Ferries high starts in early July for 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/holidays/search/france/chalet-camping/about

Was about £2300 for 14 nights in Le Clarys Plage, mid July which includes ferry from Portsmouth to France and 3 bed mobile.

Sat morn - Boat to Holyhead
    5-6 hour drive to Portsmouth
    Sat evening - Overnight ferry Portsmouth to France, arrives at 8.15.

With the overnight ferry, this might be a less harried/exhausting option than the chunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we were in Duinrell last week, great spot. We flew into Amsterdam and hired a car - it's about 45 minutes drive to the campsite from the airport.

Flights are cheap, car was pretty cheap, not sure I'd be bothered trying to drive it (it's not like your going to load up on wine in Holland, maybe if you really liked gouda cheese you could fill the car up with that :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Baybay

Have any of you who’ve been on the WBY used the pet facilities yet? Will be travelling with our cat towards the end of this month & all IF can / will tell me so far is that they have pet facilities! Just wondering how they compare to those on the OW.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What is it like going thruogh the channell tunnell ? Is there big cues and is it better earlier or later ?

Its a 35 train journey, how much extra would you want to be adding to that in terms of getting on train and getting off ? (customs etc).

I think we will be going over and coming back in morning but I do see somebody saying that its quieter in the evenings, will that hit us hard ?

Drumpot wrote:
    What is it like going thruogh the channell tunnell ? Is there big cues and is it better earlier or later ?

Pretty easy any time I used it but best to have a reservation in advance.

If you have a booking your number plate is read electronically so its quick. There's a security check (also quick) and then you just line up and drive onto (into) the train when told.

• Advertisement

Its a 35 train journey, how much extra would you want to be adding to that in terms of getting on train and getting off ? (customs etc).

I think we will be going over and coming back in morning but I do see somebody saying that its quieter in the evenings, will that hit us hard ?

Try and cross by 7 in the morning.
    Not that much of a queue basically you drive up to the loading ramps as if it is a ferry, you are directed to the carriage there are multiple loading doors if you have a roof box you will be on a single tier carriage. You do all your checks before getting on and drive away in France. Can't remember that clearly getting on in France but still had to be checked in England on the way back.

Very painless. Years ago they were very flexible and would let you get on an earlier train if you showed up early.
    Not sure if they still do that or if we're now timing our arrival with less to spare.
    You'll need to phone them in advance with passport details so that you don't have to go into the terminal building to check in.
    Being able to stay with your car is great for the crossing, you can do all the little maintenance jobs you wouldn't be able to do on a ferry; change time, headlight stickers etc.
    Calais side, there won't be any delays in my experience; the road network there disperses traffic quickly in all directions.
    UK side it's a bit more of a funnel effect but we've never experienced delays since you reach the tunnel entrance before the port and any queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Charliebull

anyone had to cancel a euro camp booking inside the 84 day clause in their cancellation policy

surly they cant be serious about having to pay 50% of the holiday

all we have paid currently is the booking deposit

anyone had to cancel a euro camp booking inside the 84 day clause in their cancellation policy

Eurocamp no but Siblu yes, 2 weeks before due to a family bereavement and they were very accommodating. They allowed us to transfer the payment we had made to a new booking a few weeks later and just pay the difference.
    surly they cant be serious about having to pay 50% of the holiday

Well, if they went to the bother of putting it into the T&C's you agreed to when booking the holiday...............
    all we have paid currently is the booking deposit

I'd say you'll get away with just losing the booking deposit. They might send you a few emails/letters demanding payment but if you ignore them they may well give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Couple of random questions..
    1. does anyone put on the headlight 'filters' before driving in France. I'm aware ur supposed to I just never have, as I've never driven at night over there
    2. Thinking of nxt year, how many Tesco vouchers do you need to get a discount,

MorganIRL wrote:
    does anyone put on the headlight 'filters' before driving in France. I'm aware ur supposed to I just never have, as I've never driven at night over there

Always do. I don't drive at night much but if you have to, you'll be pulled over pretty fast if you are blinding other drivers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

1 - I'd put on the headlight filters/deflectors anyway, even if you don't expect to be driving at night. I believe the French police can be sort of picky about that sort of thing if you do happen to be stopped, and I'd rather not have to try to explain myself in very bad French to a policeman who probably doesn't have great English. They're not expensive, are widely available, and can be put on and taken off in just a few minutes.

2 - There's no minimum amount or value of Tesco vouchers. You can use even just a €1 Tesco voucher to get €4 off your fare, though obviously it's better to use as much as possible. There's no maximum either, so in theory, you could get the entire trip for free (managed to do that ourselves on one occasion in the past). And we had close to €150 worth of vouchers to cash in this year, which was close to €600 off our fare for June.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭feedthegoat

ifElseThen wrote: »
    https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/holidays/search/france/chalet-camping/about

Was about £2300 for 14 nights in Le Clarys Plage, mid July which includes ferry from Portsmouth to France and 3 bed mobile.

Sat morn - Boat to Holyhead
    5-6 hour drive to Portsmouth
    Sat evening - Overnight ferry Portsmouth to France, arrives at 8.15.

With the overnight ferry, this might be a less harried/exhausting option than the chunnel?

Yea, did that last year and it worked out really well. We stayed in Portsmouth overnite and got the fast ferry over at 9ish. On the way back stayed in Manchester for a few days to extend the holiday.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MorganIRL wrote: »
    does anyone put on the headlight 'filters' before driving in France. I'm aware ur supposed to I just never have, as I've never driven at night over there
    Check your cars user manual as many cars nowadays allow you to flick a small lever in each light unit to throw the beam in the other direction.
    In my last 3 BMWs it has been a quick and simple job requiring no tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭talla

Check your cars user manual as many cars nowadays allow you to flick a small lever in each light unit to throw the beam in the other direction.
    In my last 3 BMWs it has been a quick and simple job requiring no tools.

Also just a software setting these days in lot of cars for both LED or Xenons headlights in the entertainment system.

Advertisement