Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

fdevine wrote: »
    manshay wrote: »
    If you decide on Eurocamp check their UK, Dutch and German....

Or try the Daily Mail holidays promo. Can't guarantee it's still working but got us 50% off our accommodation. Single password worked for us (BEACH). Search camps and dates/durations up to 14 nights. We got a week in Duinrell for c.€350. Booking is via an agency it seems but we got a Eurocamp confirmation within minutes.

Prices seem very good using this Daily Mail link.
    Has anyone used it before?
    Any feedback would be great if anyone has had any experience.
    Thanks in advance !

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

SusanC10 wrote: »
    When does the WB Yates start on the Dublin-Cherbourg Route ?

Would love some feedback before we go in June.

See post 5010 on page334 for my impressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Finally got the ferry booked but it turns out the campsite don't have an additional night available (at the start of the holiday) in the mobile we've booked - that's why I usually book the ferry first!

So any recommendations on where to stay/go in mid-wk late June for 1 night between Cherbourg and StJdM? Family of 6 with young kids.
    Would any of the D-day beaches be suitable for a family group like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

jay0109 wrote: »
    Finally got the ferry booked but it turns out the campsite don't have an additional night available (at the start of the holiday) in the mobile we've booked - that's why I usually book the ferry first!

So any recommendations on where to stay/go in mid-wk late June for 1 night between Cherbourg and StJdM? Family of 6 with young kids.

Be hard to find somewhere to rent you a mobile for 1 night, I imagine.
    If you have a tent, https://www.camping-lecormoran.fr/en/
    Should be able to fit you in for a night.
    About an hour from the ferry.
    Beside Utah beach, and handy for all the D Day stuff.
    Stayed there twice and it was just what we needed. Kids club on the beach each morning, including paddle boarding.

I'd be happy with booking into a hotel rather than a mobile for 1 night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

We're in a similar situation, but 2 nights rather than 1 night.

Eurocamp took a 2 night booking. Got a good deal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ninesell

We stayed in Domain Des Ormes for one night on return to the Ferry in Cherbourg. We used Al Fresco but Eurocamp was available as well. We prefer the campsite as we usually have bikes and a full boot. Check out from accommodation is at 10 AM but you can still use the pool and facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Have stayed in an air bnb on route to the south of France, family of 5, some nice places to be found if you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Have stayed in an air bnb on route to the south of France, family of 5, some nice places to be found if you look.

Plus 1 to the above. We usually use Airbnb if we need a stopover night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think I'd be inclined to head towards the Vendee and break somewhere en route. D Day beaches are a bit of a detour and the kids would need to be old enough to appreciate them.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    I think I'd be inclined to head towards the Vendee and break somewhere en route. D Day beaches are a bit of a detour and the kids would need to be old enough to appreciate them.

I was thinking that last night while looking up Utah beach.
    Would love to see Mont St Michel but that's not a runner with a big baby in a buggy!
    Didn't see anywhere that jumped out at me between Cherbourg and Vendee however.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

I was thinking that last night while looking up Utah beach.
    Would love to see Mont St Michel but that's not a runner with a big baby in a buggy!
    Didn't see anywhere that jumped out at me between Cherbourg and Vendee however.

From comfort point of view I would try to get say 2 / 2.5 hours into journey and plan a stop at that point. Means that you are only another 2 - 2.5 hours from the furthest part of vendee and makes day two easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

westgolf wrote:
    From comfort point of view I would try to get say 2 / 2.5 hours into journey and plan a stop at that point. Means that you are only another 2 - 2.5 hours from the furthest part of vendee and makes day two easier.

I'd suggest somewhere in or near Rennes. Its about half way and is a big enough city to have a choice of things for all ages.

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with either Le Vieux Port or La Ruisseau campsites ? (both near Biarritz)
    Thanks in advance.

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with either Le Vieux Port or La Ruisseau campsites ? (both near Biarritz)
    Thanks in advance.

I see WB Yeats taking a right coming out of Dublin Bay (towards France) rather than a left towards Holyhead.

First France trip for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

Peckham wrote: »
    I see WB Yeats taking a right coming out of Dublin Bay (towards France) rather than a left towards Holyhead.

First France trip for it?

Possibly, but over the lat 2 months it's been off the coast of Dalkey doing handbrake turns and doughnuts quite a bit

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:5614700/zoom:12

Ap6JqIB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

for the 4 bunk cabins on Irish Ferries that it says don't allow cots, assume there is no issue bringing a baby in to them to sleep in a buggy?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    for the 4 bunk cabins on Irish Ferries that it says don't allow cots, assume there is no issue bringing a baby in to them to sleep in a buggy?

If it's the same as the Brittany Ferries Pont Aven 4 bunk cabins you wouldn't have the space to set up a cot. Buggy should be ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

westgolf wrote: »
    If it's the same as the Brittany Ferries Pont Aven 4 bunk cabins you wouldn't have the space to set up a cot. Buggy should be ok though.

Unless it’s a rough crossing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Van.Bosch wrote: »

You would have to pay for a reserved seat in that case but bring the buggy into the cabin leaving the seat unoccupied.. all passengers need a bed/seat.

Sorry that is obviously if you are booking for 5 people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Any problems travelling at weekends in France with the yellow vest protests .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Jamemid wrote: »
    Any problems travelling at weekends in France with the yellow vest protests .
    Aren't they really just in city centres (or even just Paris)? Shouldn't affect motorways or small towns

Aren't they really just in city centres (or even just Paris)? Shouldn't affect motorways or small towns

I was in Toulouse a few weeks ago. We were advised to avoid the city centre on the Saturday afternoon. When we were there on the Sunday morning it was clear there had been some trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Hope so. I'm heading Vendée for 2 weeks and then on to Paris in early June.

Hi all,

Any recommendations for car hire companies from perpignon airport ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

westgolf wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any recommendations for car hire companies from perpignon airport ?

we used europcar, no hassle. There are one or 2 others there as well, avis and sixth I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

We’re heading back to La Garangeoire, Vendee region this year. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for day trips/things to see & do with 3 kids, 7-12 years age range. Done Puy du Fou last year, loved it but looking for other ideas. TIA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

This place, http://www.chateau-aventuriers.com/en/ is about 40 mins away. Our lot enjoyed it the last time, your 12 year old might scoff though :)

Advertisement