Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

CramCycle wrote: »
    Holy f*ck, on the way in to work this morning, the bike path is covered in leaves and is a death trap on parts of the N11, so I am in the Bus lane for what will be about 100m. Taxi driver pulled in on me, with a cm or so to spare. Thankfully close enough to get the full reg and details. At the next lights I didn't engage bar a head shake. Weird thing is his two customers done this odd, almost old royal wave of the hand, as in, get away from us you riff raff.

Bring that to the guard you're giving the other footage too and he may repay the footage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What model GoPro you using Cram?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MojoMaker wrote: »
    What model GoPro you using Cram?
    Hero 8, camera is great and lovely for riding trails etc, image stabilisation is exceptional for capturing details on my commute but, as said before, makes things look like less of an issue than they were. Battery is shocking though.

How shocking is shocking?

How shocking is shocking?

I have turned off WiFi and any unnecessary bits on it, and if I let it run too empty I get just under an hour at 1080p 60fps. It just about covers my commute, and I have to charge twice a day for that. I was just so used to my Cycliq that managed a few days.

• Advertisement

Ouch, that's poor. But maybe evidence that this kind of camera isn't really intended for commuting/distance etc.

I was contemplating one for general bike use, not strictly commuting and not on a daily basis. Would you still recommend for occasional use and is yours helmet-mounted or bike-mounted?

Cycliq still regarded as the best commuting camera option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Ouch, that's poor. But maybe evidence that this kind of camera isn't really intended for commuting/distance etc.

I was contemplating one for general bike use, not strictly commuting and not on a daily basis. Would you still recommend for occasional use and is yours helmet-mounted or bike-mounted?

I just got another Drift Ghost X after I managed to kill my previous one. Small and neat and I usually get at least 4 hours battery life before I have to recharge. Image quality is great too. My only gripe is it needs a mini-USB to recharge whereas everything else in the known cycling universe needs micro-USB:mad:

Back on topic, I started back to work (from home) today after a leisurely and very fattening extended Christmas break with very little cycling action in between. Did an hour around Watopia before logging on to work rather than venture out and have vowed to try keep it up as many mornings as I can. My intentions are good anyway and really missing my cycling commute.:( I have to set up the turbo in the kitchen so need to do it while everyone else is in bed and out of my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

CramCycle wrote: »
    Good and bad, its superb visually. The only downside is the stabilisation is so good it hides sudden changes and can make things look far less of an issue than they were. I'll put up my commute tomorrow for you to judge for yourself

You can turn this off. I think the stabilisation works by cropping the image after shooting and compensating for it.

I have the same Gopro. The footage quality is stunning, albeit poor in low light, but its for capturing magic moments as opposed to leaving it on on a full commute.

It's an action cam, not a commuter one but the image is phenomenal, you'd never worry about not getting details. I'd pick my Drift over the Cycliq for image quality but the Fly12 has been so abused and still works perfectly, it can take a hammering, the Fly6 I've had huge issues with so can't recommend that.
    a148pro wrote: »
    You can turn this off. I think the stabilisation works by cropping the image after shooting and compensating for it.

I have the same Gopro. The footage quality is stunning, albeit poor in low light, but its for capturing magic moments as opposed to leaving it on on a full commute.
    Normally use my Fly 12 on the front and the GoPro under the saddle but wouldn't mind a Drift as I had one but it got crushed in a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

That is what is known as 'Failing the attitude test'
    As in “Now lishen.. You may lose de hattitude, quick shmart “?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Apparently the Hope R4 (1500 Lumen) front light, the Hope District (800lumen) rear light, yellow BBB shoe covers, yellow BBB gloves, Blue Bicycleline winter jacket, which all have reflective elements built in AND a helmet with rear reflector are not good enough.

Stopped by a Garda at a Covid checkpoint this evening and he suggested I should “get a brighter vest!” :)

Man that's aggravating :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Out for the first time since New Years Eve, a nice 35 km @24ish kph. It was nice and cool out there this afternoon, but Galibier are deadly :)

it was kinda damp out there too, and ye feckers have my head done in worrying about my gatorskins, my head is wrecked and I now have to replace them with another set of Rubino's I have here.

Lovely to get back out, but got cramp in both calves, I'll just have to get out more regularly to stop it happening again.

Nothing wrong with Gatorskins, just saying, there are far better tyres out there but don't confuse that with Gators not being good enough.

Snuck out for 35k in the fresh air at lunch time today within my locality. Tractors are back in the fields as the weather has been dry so some of the country roads I frequent were covered in sh*t. And so was I. Even my bottle so I had to go thirsty. Great to get out after wimping out of a few spins due to ice.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had to make two essential journeys today (both in opposite directions from home), including popping into Maynooth Garda Stn on the request of a Garda following up on a Trafficwatch complaint I made in November.

The rain came half way through which was unnpleasant but the SW wind made it fairly tough going.

On my way, I happened to be travelling along the Grand Canal and happened to come across at least 5 lads ahead at the notorious sectrion - to see one stroll out scared the crap outta me. Thankfully nothing happened (I had a Kryptonite U-Lock close by if needed).

Travelling into Maynooth, a car turned in on me as I was travelling along the cycle path. I saw it coming but the fella had been driving behind me for a few minutes prior to that so must have known that I was there.

Thinking about it on my spin I changed my mind and decided to tell the Garda just to issue a caution rather than take it further. I don't want to have to head into court if it came to it, given the current covid climate, etc. (didn't even want to spend much time in the station tbh)

Still 60km @ 27km/h - first time on a bike this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I was last on the bike a week ago - on rollers - so now with weird work shifts and ice out of the way it was good to be out for a spin.
    A bit breezy at times but warm enough and nice and bright.
    Happy enough with 46km @ 25kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Working from home for the day.
    Did my 5k limit perimeter.

25k for lunch break.
    (Live beside the sea)

Windy but mild.
    Lovely actually

Got out for a 37km spin earlier @27kph, decided on a flatter route, and hence the 3kph average speed increase. (Maybe the air wasnt as thick today )
    It was cool, but very bearable with the right gear on. Was surprisingly blowy, but not terribly gusty.
    Twice out this week, 2021 is starting better than any previous year, hopefully, I can keep it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Still suffering with a head cold so wrapped up well for a lunch time spin up Cruagh to the Viewing point, back around and a up the first section of Tibradden. Stiff enough head wind and far too much gear on left me with one of my slowest times ever up Cruagh but still pleased enough to get out for 21k with 460m of up. No getting any long spins in with the 5K limit so going to try to get out ~5 times a week to make up for it until conditions improve. The extra poundage put on over Christmas does not seem to want to shift.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

posts moved, we don't want to derail this thread with debates unrelated to your day on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vintcerf

what gloves do people use? i have a good pair but i quickly turned around as my hands were too numb and sore

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

vintcerf wrote: »
    what gloves do people use? i have a good pair but i quickly turned around as my hands were too numb and sore

one guy I know uses a pair of motorcycle gloves, from time to time Ive put a very thin wool pair inside a bigger pair of what I bought as sailing gloves.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Got out for 42km @25kph earlier, quite windy with b@stard shnakey gusts.
    Temperature was quite nice, no need for a base layer under the Galibier Mistral.
    Out towards Tallaght, terenure, Rathgar, Rathmines, through the city centre to the quays, 2 laps of the park, an home to Drimnagh.

115km this week, I'm extremely happy with that (not a lot for many of you), that's more than I did in the entire January 2020, so long may it last.

Came across a guy in the park fixing a puncture, something about his demeanour said ask him if he has everything - he had broken the nipple off his spare tube, so I gave him one of mine.
    I think most cyclists would do the same, but I think he should have asked, rather than me using my 6th sense, would this have been considered poor etiquette?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Came across a guy in the park fixing a puncture, something about his demeanour said ask him if he has everything - he had broken the nipple off his spare tube, so I gave him one of mine.
    I think most cyclists would do the same, but I think he should have asked, rather than me using my 6th sense, would this have been considered poor etiquette?

city v country I guess, worst case he can get a taxi or walk his bike home, Ive noticed in Wicklow cyclists are great for asking if you are ok

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Had to ask a an unknown cyclist today for a spare cartridge had a second puncture but one of the cartridges i had was a spent one :(
    Thank you, hopefully can repay you similarly one day :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had to shout at a chap on a roundabout in finglas today as i passed. not because he pulled some stupid stunt in a car, but because he was standing at the side of the roundabout dressed as the grim reaper with a sign saying 'COVID VACCINE OF DEATH AND SICKNESS'

also, passed weepsie again while out. i think i've seen more of him cycling in the opposite direction, than i have of my parents, in the last few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

had to shout at a chap on a roundabout in finglas today as i passed. not because he pulled some stupid stunt in a car, but because he was standing at the side of the roundabout dressed as the grim reaper with a sign saying 'COVID VACCINE OF DEATH AND SICKNESS'

also, passed weepsie again while out. i think i've seen more of him cycling in the opposite direction, than i have of my parents, in the last few months.

And I was going much slower. Possibly similar speed at that point as I had the tailwind but Strava says you left a minute before me but finished 20 mins sooner and I only did a km more and stopped at shops for 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Out on the road today for the first time since Dec 20th. While the roads were messy or was just great to feel the freshness of being outdoors.

Had one very close pass that was as close as you’d want it. I think the time is near for me to get a camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

Family bought me a rack and set of panniers for Christmas, CX bike I'm using at the moment has no mounts so I had to get hold of some P clips to mount it up. A slow process with all the Brexit shipping delays. Anyways got it all together last week and today was the maiden voyage, just a test run with a pair of shoes and a load of work clothes I dragged out of various drawers, in total about 7.5kg between rack, panniers and the gear.

Kept it on a flat loop at the start but was surprised how well the bike felt so I added in a few little hills for a finish. 55km @ 25.3km/hr

Quite happy with the experience, when the spring comes and Covid goes hopefully I'll venture a bit further from home and see how I get on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement