Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A good 45 minutes spin in the kitchen on the trainer or as my daughter calls it “my bike that goes nowhere “ left a decent puddle on the floor which generally signals a good effort.

Apparently it’s the coldest night of the year. Be careful out there in the morning.

Had the face and legs lashed of me with hailstones earlier, pulled out into the middle of the lane right arm out and some good soul in a car coming towards me flashed me to allow me to make a dart for a forecourt at a mercifully close petrol station :D

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

They're not all b@stards lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ted1 wrote: »
    Apparently it’s the coldest night of the year. Be careful out there in the morning.
    not in dublin, it's not expected to drop below 2 or 3C tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭secman

looks like 5km will stay according to Michael Martin on Radio On just now , hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

secman wrote: »
    looks like 5km will stay according to Michael Martin on Radio On just now , hopefully.

5km from my house includes Kilmashogue, the Viewing point and the Hellfire club. Looks like the only way is up for the next couple of months.

Just back from a short spin up to the Hellfire over lunch, struggling through the mud in Masseys and slush and ice at the Hellfire. Forget to put any overshoes on so cut the cycle shorter than planned with frozen toes. Still nice to get out of the house for a bit. Looks like we're going to get some very cold weather later in the week with met.ie showing -7 for some parts of the Wicklow mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,131 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

smacl wrote: »
    5km from my house includes Kilmashogue, the Viewing point and the Hellfire club. Looks like the only way is up for the next couple of months.
    Lucky you, the only elevation within my 5km are a few motorway bridges :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭secman

Just checked, its 9.5 km from house to View point, so i could go half way there :)

50k within my immediate locality today. Only ice and frost free night in a week last night so took advantage, but there was still some icy patches and dodgy sections in the shady areas high up. Very cautious ride. 50k @ 25.5 with 800 climbing.

I will be seeing lots of the turbo in the next week or so. Also getting a bit tired of the same restricted route.

I measured it today and if we ever go back to 2k I still have 105m of climbing from my door so could potentially do some hill repeats. Hope that does not come to pass.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

smacl wrote: »

Very lucky myself, have Bray Head, Little Sugar Loaf, actual Sugar Loaf and a few other nice off road bits, as well as Red Lane, unsure if this is a positive or not :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

CramCycle wrote: »
    Very lucky myself, have Bray Head, Little Sugar Loaf, actual Sugar Loaf and a few other nice off road bits, as well as Red Lane, unsure if this is a positive or not :D

I did Red lane for the first time this year thoroughly enjoyed it
    On the way back down decided to do Green lane as well
    Wasn't as enjoyable :rolleyes:

I did Red lane for the first time this year thoroughly enjoyed it
    On the way back down decided to do Green lane as well
    Wasn't as enjoyable :rolleyes:

I'd love to descend that at full tilt (Red Lane), I would definitely enter if they done one of those Red Bull events there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Red Lane infinitely more enjoyable since it was resurfaced.

I'm also in Bray so half of my 5km is in the sea :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Maybe we could organise some pedalos from down the harbour on Saturday morning and claim as much of the sea as we can?

I'm on the more rural side of Bray so I only lose about 1/5 of my circle. Hopefully work gets quieter so I can focus on stealing Strava KOMs from Plastik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'm on the more rural side of Bray so I only lose about 1/5 of my circle. Hopefully work gets quieter so I can focus on stealing Strava KOMs from Plastik.

In bettystown.
    Half my 5k in the sea
    The other half is the flat arable plains of Meath.....with cars everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the steepest hill in my 5km is probably washerwoman's hill in glasnevin (i.e. the one up to the met eireann building)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

the steepest hill in my 5km is probably washerwoman's hill in glasnevin (i.e. the one up to the met eireann building)

Cappagh Hill is about the same overall and longer and within the 5 km just about. More likely to get a close pass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m the same in killiney. I have a triangle between sea life in bray and the east pier in Dun Laoighre and kilternan.

Makes about 40km loop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Went to work thinking I had to go in once a week to do health and safety checks, but as my new branch has it's own facilities team (last one didn't) I arrived to see it locked up. looped the park so on the way home. I was wearing shorts, but was heavily layered up top. a Slow 33 km to keep ticking over.

Hmming and hawing over Zwift sub. I use Road Grand Tours a bit, but wish they had some longer maps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Weepsie wrote: »
    Went to work thinking I had to go in once a week to do health and safety checks, but as my new branch has it's own facilities team (last one didn't) I arrived to see it locked up. looped the park so on the way home. I was wearing shorts, but was heavily layered up top. a Slow 33 km to keep ticking over.

Hmming and hawing over Zwift sub. I use Road Grand Tours a bit, but wish they had some longer maps

I got a smart turbo for Christmas and signed up to zwift. Enjoying it so far its definitely pushing me to do more hills etc, I did a 23km spin in the french hills the other night which was quiet enjoyable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up to the viewing point again over lunch, cold but roads ok. Sleet and fog on the Stocking lane descent so I reined in the speed. Saw a bunch of teens on hybrids on their way up with no gloves or head gear, didn't envy their descent. Yellow temperature warnings for the next couple of days so may have to face the dreaded turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Weepsie wrote: »

Saw GCn did a video last week including promotion on 'Rouvy' which has virtual reality riders imposed on real world video. They mentioned they are offering a 2 week trial period at the moment.

(Interesting GCN did this given the tie in they seem to have with Zwift)

Very noticeable drop off in traffic when I was coming home this evening. Had to go to the office for some hands on tasks. I was out the same time yesterday and it was night and day between the two. To me it seemed like a lot of people who could have been working from home weren't but are back at home today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

13km loop within the 5k from Deansgrange > Ballybrack > Killiney Dart station > Druids Chair > Glenageary > Bakers Corner > Deansgrange.
    Do it 1,2 or 3 times depending on the humour. it was my last 5k lockdown route.
    Bringing the young lad out on it Friday so he will be doing a lot of waiting for me!

Very noticeable drop off in traffic when I was coming home this evening.
    noticed the same thing earlier when i was out in the car - on the old N2 near coolquay, traffic volumes were less than half what they were a month or so ago.

N11 hasn't dropped that much yet, although I imagine next week will be different. I look forward to the next week of work where I have a load of whinge bags telling me their work is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭cletus

*Their*

Are we still doing the thing where we discuss and correct each others' grammatical mistakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

noticed the same thing earlier when i was out in the car - on the old N2 near coolquay, traffic volumes were less than half what they were a month or so ago.

Yeah no cars on the road this morning or evening.
    Crossed the n2 at kilmoon /lights at tayto.
    Very light.
    Monday was queues both ways.
    Seems plenty offices were ignoring the L5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Plastik wrote: »
    Maybe we could organise some pedalos from down the harbour on Saturday morning and claim as much of the sea as we can?

Race to Greystones around Bray Head! You’d probably st I’lll claim the maritime KOM😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement