Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First spin up Kilmashogue for me this year at lunch, puffing and panting all the way. Shocked how much fitness I've lost since the summer, needed all the gears and was pleased enough just making it to the top without stopping.

541209.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out for 55km before my lunch.
    The weather was lovely and mild with no rain (it seems to have arrived now). I hadn't been out in a week or so - the roads were mucky as hell.
    Despite the weather being nice, there weren't many out on bikes. Plenty of walkers and joggers though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4694698505

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

smacl wrote: »
    First spin up Kilmashogue for me this year at lunch, puffing and panting all the way. Shocked how much fitness I've lost since the summer, needed all the gears and was pleased enough just making it to the top without stopping.

You can always have faith in Kilmashogue to put manners on you. Doesn't matter who you are! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Beautiful up there alright. You're blessed with that on your doorstep smacl.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Beautiful up there alright. You're blessed with that on your doorstep smacl.

Yep, whatever else about Ballyboden, it probably ranks as one of the best Dublin suburbs if you like climbing. That said, there's been many a morning where I wished I lived in Meath.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I was just admiring wheel01's 5km precision!

I do try, honest, your honour. Theres nothing more I'd like than to continue on up into the hills from Tallaght to pine forest, Sally's Gap, eniskerry, or somewhere similar, BUT big bad Michael told me no!
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Mea Cupla, edited based on rough approximations, reedited to be unedited.

I hope I wasnt causing you any hassle, but I don't think the "what happened to the 5km rule" post was aimed at me. (Or at least it shouldnt have been)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

wheelo01 wrote: »
    I hope I wasnt causing you any hassle, but I don't think the "what happened to the 5km rule" post was aimed at me. (Or at least it shouldnt have been)

Not at all, one or two people were obvious and having lived near your neck of the woods for many years I should have realised it was all kosher. I just went in with a sweeping blanket, but hands up when I am wrong, apologies there.

Yep, whatever else about Ballyboden, it probably ranks as one of the best Dublin suburbs if you like climbing. That said, there's been many a morning where I wished I lived in Meath.... ;)

I count myself blessed for being on the right side of Bray at the minute, I just manage to get some of the nicer, not as steep as yours, climbs in. And if I ever want to pretend to be in Meath, I can just follow the N11 and bore myself to death :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

bazermc wrote: »
    Yeah the park is easier anti-clockwise.

Depends on the wind direction. If there's none, it's much of a muchness; if it's SW, you get more shelter on the North Road and anti-c is best but if it's SE, you probably are better going clockwise. Haven't figured out all the other wind directions yet but alternating the first two circuits gives you a pretty good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Deansgrange > Golden Ball > Loughlinstown > Killiney Hill > Dalkey > Blackrock (via coastal cycle path) Booterstown > Deansgrange via quiet roads up the back of Blackrock. Just about on the 5k limit at 1 point but all legal.

About 32k. Nice mixture of hills and sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Kilmashogue, is that the road up from Lamb Doyles? or more over Rockbrook way?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Deansgrange to the Golden Ball will soften one's cough alright :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

silverharp wrote: »
    Kilmashogue, is that the road up from Lamb Doyles? or more over Rockbrook way?
    it starts at the south western end of marlay park - ballinascorney golf club/st. columbas. so about halfway between rockbrook and lamb doyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

541209.jpg

I may have this wrong, but I view Kilmashogue, in cycling terms, to be the road that goes straight up past the forest park (i.e., without turning into it) and on up until it peters out into private land

Easily the hardest hill in Dublin. You know you're in trouble whenever you see a grit box.

But I get the impression I may be wrong and most cyclists in fact mean the off road climb from kilmashogue forest park to three rock? A good climb for sure but nothing like the sadism of the actual road. Smacl it looks like you've taken that photo there (again, I may be wrong)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've only ever cycled the road part, three times i think, and did not make it up without stopping (running 36-28 probably not low enough).
    it's not a fun descent though. you don't feel you get your just rewards.

a148pro wrote: »
    I may have this wrong, but I view Kilmashogue, in cycling terms, to be the road that goes straight up past the forest park (i.e., without turning into it) and on up until it peters out into private land

Easily the hardest hill in Dublin. You know you're in trouble whenever you see a grit box.

But I get the impression I may be wrong and most cyclists in fact mean the off road climb from kilmashogue forest park to three rock? A good climb for sure but nothing like the sadism of the actual road. Smacl it looks like you've taken that photo there (again, I may be wrong)

Everyone I know would consider it the same as what you described. Got a vibration in the frame coming down it one time with a hub dynamo and the bike started jerking violently and it nearly threw me off. Managed to crash into a drive way with no damage bar my ego. We used to do our club hill climb there, an unpleasant experience.

I love it I have to say, its just so fecking intense. But you really really need to be in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭devonp

heading out near lunch time....garmin (old 810) goes straight to diagnostics screen ..restarted 3 time same ....i'll use strava on the phone....early part of spin puncture...changed tube ...mucky tyre /wheel checked inside and out x2...set off again ..10m later hhsssss...near to home called the team car :(

doesn't look good for getting out tmrw..maybe Sunday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

101km on the rollers.

Eeuch. Won't do that again for a while!:pac: I don't have the skills to get out of the saddle so my butt don't get no break! :o

Yep, I turned off Kilmashogue lane into Kilmashogue forest and then on up to the start of MTB track here. Continuing the road climb is defo tougher as you have the same ascent over a shorter distance. Gruelling climb and pretty horrible descent. I tend to take the forest more often than the road path as you've got better scenery, a few possibilities for loops around Ticknock (most of which is unfortunately just beyond the 5K for me for), and some quite nice off road descent options. If you take the paved road to the top you can actually cut across to get onto the mountain too, but it is a bit hike-a-bike at the end.

Main reason I do the full road climb on Kilmashogue every now and again is to make the other local climbes seem relatively easy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

fat bloke wrote: »
    101km on the rollers.

Eeuch. Won't do that again for a while!:pac: I don't have the skills to get out of the saddle so my butt don't get no break! :o

You're handling on the road has probably improved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I did 40km on zwift last night, first decent cycle in a while

Saw the forecast for the weekend and snuck out for 35k this afternoon. 550m up and 28kph average. Dry, muck free roads and a newly serviced bike meant it was the first time I've put the foot down in a while. Touch of spring in the air. Enjoyed that, even if it's the same old loop over and over again - I'm on waving terms with all the walkers at this stage!

I love it I have to say, its just so fecking intense. But you really really need to be in the mood.
    it's that section where you approach a house with a white gable wall and the road bends left, and your legs are just knackered, and you round the bend to see the road kick up several degrees and your knees just start crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

it's that section where you approach a house with a white gable wall and the road bends left, and your legs are just knackered, and you round the bend to see the road kick up several degrees and your knees just start crying.

Yeah thats the worst, its deceptively steeper than it looks.
    I got caught a few times thinking I should be going faster than I was, so tried to speed up and blew a gasket half way up the hill then.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Averaged a 2.40min/km over a 40km and was genuinely suprised it was not closer to a 4 minute mark with the route and weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

101km on the rollers.

Ah c'mon FB, get that sorted. I did an 45min no-handed the other day followed by some out of the saddle spin ups. It's all in your miiiiind.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jrby

is that a gravel bike your on?

it's thatY section where you approach a house with a white gable wall and the road bends left, and your legs are just knackered, and you round the bend to see the road kick up several degrees and your knees just start crying.

Yeah there's very definitely a point at which you're sure you're through the worst of it and then its like some lad picks up the road at the top and leans it more towards you. You're like Ah this is taking the P*ss

Mount Leinster, if you've ever done it, is like that. Only about 11 times longer. Absolutely insane stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

101km on the rollers.

Even the concentration required for all that! It's easy but really need to be alert, I can manage about an hour and I just can't do it anymore. Did u take a break at all?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement