Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Managed to get out on the Mountain Bike earlier. Did 15km within the 5km zone. Hopefully will be able to get back out on the road bike next week.

Managed to get out to the shed for an hour of pain.

I have no idea how to construct a session on a bike as I am a running convert, so I chanced 6 x 5 mins @ 90% with 5 mins recovery.

If anyone has any suggestions on where I might find some worthwhile turbo sessions then I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Managed to get out to the shed for an hour of pain.

I have no idea how to construct a session on a bike as I am a running convert, so I chanced 6 x 5 mins @ 90% with 5 mins recovery.

If anyone has any suggestions on where I might find some worthwhile turbo sessions then I'd appreciate it.

I just go on YouTube and do a GCN one
    They've 20 mins up to one hour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

After buying the Cinelli Zydeco I decided to dick around in the Phoenix park on the mud paths. Went arse over tit at one point but still had right craic.

Looking forward to getting into the mountains when restrictions lift

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

After buying the Cinelli Zydeco I decided to dick around in the Phoenix park on the mud paths. Went arse over tit at one point but still had right craic.

Looking forward to getting into the mountains when restrictions lift

I've had to bail trying to get up the hill to the magazine fort. Most unsighlty get great craic

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've had to bail trying to get up the hill to the magazine fort. Most unsighlty get great craic

I had to do the very same thing the last two days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Feeling crap earlier with a streaming head cold so just headed out for a leisurely flat 16k over lunch rather than doing anything strenuous. Feel way better as a result. Don't know how much of it is psychosomatic, but getting outside on the bike feels like an important part of keeping healthy at this point. Turbo is grand for exercise but just doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Doesn't look like an outdoor bike ride is on the agenda in the morning. -4 to -5 degrees is predicted.😬

billyhead wrote: »
    Doesn't look like an outdoor bike ride is on the agenda in the morning. -4 to -5 degrees is predicted.��

Fair bit of ice on the roads even at lunch today. Not an issue with the ice tyres on but would be nervous enough on slicks anywhere other than the main roads. Given everything else going on, not a time to be taking any risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

smacl wrote: »
    Feeling crap earlier with a streaming head cold so just headed out for a leisurely flat 16k over lunch rather than doing anything strenuous. Feel way better as a result. Don't know how much of it is psychosomatic, but getting outside on the bike feels like an important part of keeping healthy at this point. Turbo is grand for exercise but just doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Not had a road spin since Dec 20th for various reasons so I’m hoping that Sunday may be an option looking at temps. I love the turbo but my mind needs fresh air soon.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Not had a road spin since Dec 20th for various reasons so I’m hoping that Sunday may be an option looking at temps. I love the turbo but my mind needs fresh air soon.

Next week should be safe anyway with milder temperatures.

I had to do the very same thing the last two days.

And today. 7/8's of the way up this genius gets out if the saddle and lost all traction. Its wicked slippy out there now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Lovely fresh day for a cycle. Temps topped 2.5c and was quite nice in the sun but the moment there was shade or some speed the breeze turned it baltic.

Some amount of black ice on the road. Did 16km loop with steep hills.

My touring tyres fared pretty well once I was careful braking.

I only fell off once....coming back home on my driveway :o
    YCM3Q7w.jpg

New bearings in headset and ice tyre and land cruiser on croix de fer gave me a tiny bit of confidence (perhaps misplaced) to go out today.

Layered up to the gills(once more Santini meridian jacket laughed at the cold). Liners and gloves, winter boots, toe covers and shoe covers and a flask of coffee kept me nice and toasty even though my garmin dropped to -5

Went slow, as the ice tyre can feel like cycling in mollases for a while. Got to park and switched to the perimeter tracks and followed that about 3/4 of the way around. Had to do a bit of hike and bike and regretted going near the furry glen (probably not a good idea anyway) so went back.

The duck pond was completely frozen over which was cool. Looped around the ambassadors house and papal cross and then the magazine fort and went back on the road and headed for home with a 1/4 loop and full chesterfield avenue.

40 very slow but incredibly enjoyable km. Only time I nearly came undone was in a bit of mud that had actually thawed.

Home to a sausage roll I got when picking up my coffee and the bike isn't even all that dirty.

Won't make a habit of it, as I've the luxury of a good turbo and hospital don't need me adding to their woes

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/Vay16aLeUcb

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

smacl wrote: »
    Fair bit of ice on the roads even at lunch today. Not an issue with the ice tyres on but would be nervous enough on slicks anywhere other than the main roads. Given everything else going on, not a time to be taking any risks.

This is why I've decided to give the cycling a miss for the present. I witnessed a single vehicle RTC back in July at the back of the airport that tied up some serious resources, 3 occupants, 1 of whom it took 10 members of the DFB & Airport Fire Service to remove from the car. Added to the Gardai & Airport Police in attendance. Not cycling related but an indication of what's sometimes involved. It's a long year & I'll recommence soon hopefully.

My very minor accident (3 years ago) because it involved a car involved DFB and an ambulance. so took up the time of about 8 people. Then the doctor, triage nurse and 2 gardai as well.

I was very apologetic to the DFB and paramedics (who took my bike in the back and left it at my apartment enroute)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Main roads to top of featherbeds grand, side roads down to balliscorney untreated and death traps. Same re firing range road. Atmospheric cycling in total fog and snow laden landscape. Reminds me of that lance video from years ago - 6 meters of snow, you cannot pass.

Q - would it be safe ish to cycle on fresh snow with a decent thread? Ice is carnage, and that kind of compacted slushy ice we get in ireland when the snow melts on roads is also impassable. But if you were the first up the road on powder snow it could be nice, if risky.

I trotted around the Phoenix Park for a bit. I live close by to it, I'm nearly feeling guilty going out in the bike just on case something does happen so being extra cautious. Some fun going through the mud but I'm itching to do a nice 100k spin as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

a148pro wrote: »
    Q - would it be safe ish to cycle on fresh snow with a decent thread? Ice is carnage, and that kind of compacted slushy ice we get in ireland when the snow melts on roads is also impassable. But if you were the first up the road on powder snow it could be nice, if risky.

The nordics lay a kinda gravel into the paths that makes them cycleable but even the virgin stuff is fine after you get used to it, even on the return leg from the pub. Would do it on 32+, nothing narrower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Did an urban laps and loops spin today, they can be very stop start, then to finish it off made the bad decision to go through Tymon Park to get another loop in...what was i thinking of :( avg 10kph in there, full of walkers and in fairness that's their terrain. Anyways 51km in fresh air :) nothing else matters :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time out for me since the new year; was 50/50 about heading out but then saw the forecast for the next few days and decided to grab it while it was going. 37km, misty out in parts.

getting increasingly dubious about strava's estimation of moving time vs elapsed time. according to strava, of the 1:23:50 i was out, i was stopped for less than one and a half minutes. there was one set of traffic lights alone i was probably stopped for that long at.

a148pro wrote: »

Problem with fresh snow is you don't know whether there is any ice underneath. If it has been sub-zero the previous night, I'd tend to avoid it. Used to be a bit braver a few years ago, now just suck up the horrible dragginess of cycling in ice tyres for the confidence they provide. The other thing I do if the conditions are iffy is to avoid loops and cycle back down the same way I went up so that I know what conditions will be like. I was on the Sally gap road a few years back coming from Laragh where the road from the crossroads back to the featherbeds was solid ice. Not nice having to double back when you're getting close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

was out for a about 2 and a half hours today, I dont normally cycle in the winter apart from commuting, not an option now. going to keep around this, hopefully once a week til Easter, but should be a nice base to work off then. Made a mistake of not jumping in the shower when I got home and started to get really cold.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Met the Gardai on the return form the Sugar Loaf today. Garda copped the GoPro and asked was it on the whole way. Said, yep, turned on since I came back on the road. Followed up by asking had I seen the driver pulled in across the road earlier.
    Yes Garda, I remember him because he was doing not far off 120kmph on an 80kmph road that has numerous go slow signs.
    Garda getting the footage on Tuesday morning. Funny thing was, Garda happily admitted, if he hadn't been such a pr1ck (I think he used the word awkward, but I got what the implication was), they probably wouldn't have held him longer than a minute.
    Started the conversation with asking what right they had to stop him, next car pointed out to the Garda he was speeding dangerously and the Garda was over the moon that I have it on camera.

MOD VOICE: I don't want to be the thought police, so don't make me. If you go over the 5km limit, even just slightly, just keep it to yourself at the minute. This isn't a discussion on the rights or wrongs, it is me asking for no one to give me a headache because whatever your views (and I have had such a sh1t year, I don't actually f*ck*ng care anymore), it will be reported and does appear, even if unintentionally, like you are sh1tting on people who are following the rules. I appreciate that you probably are not, great, but if you want a discussion on it, I will happily do it via PM, but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

CramCycle wrote: »
    Met the Gardai on the return form the Sugar Loaf today. Garda copped the GoPro and asked was it on the whole way. Said, yep, turned on since I came back on the road. Followed up by asking had I seen the driver pulled in across the road earlier.
    Yes Garda, I remember him because he was doing not far off 120kmph on an 80kmph road that has numerous go slow signs.
    Garda getting the footage on Tuesday morning. Funny thing was, Garda happily admitted, if he hadn't been such a pr1ck (I think he used the word awkward, but I got what the implication was), they probably wouldn't have held him longer than a minute.
    Started the conversation with asking what right they had to stop him, next car pointed out to the Garda he was speeding dangerously and the Garda was over the moon that I have it on camera.

That is what is known as 'Failing the attitude test'

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭vintcerf

CramCycle

how do you find the gopro footage? is the stabilisation ok? thinking of picking one up myself, cheers!

vintcerf wrote: »
    CramCycle

how do you find the gopro footage? is the stabilisation ok? thinking of picking one up myself, cheers!

Good and bad, its superb visually. The only downside is the stabilisation is so good it hides sudden changes and can make things look far less of an issue than they were. I'll put up my commute tomorrow for you to judge for yourself

That is what is known as 'Failing the attitude test'

I think they all learn the 'attitude test' up in training college. It's amazing the amount of people who think being an ass to a Garda is going to do them any good. A good attitude and an apology can usually get you out of most situations with a Garda.

• Advertisement

Holy f*ck, on the way in to work this morning, the bike path is covered in leaves and is a death trap on parts of the N11, so I am in the Bus lane for what will be about 100m. Taxi driver pulled in on me, with a cm or so to spare. Thankfully close enough to get the full reg and details. At the next lights I didn't engage bar a head shake. Weird thing is his two customers done this odd, almost old royal wave of the hand, as in, get away from us you riff raff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement