Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    The child was in the pedestrian lane with her parents. She suddenly steered into the cycling lane. I did not anticipate that happening. I appreciate that it’s a shared public amenity, but a cycling lane is a cycling lane, and there are clear markings to show that it’s a two-way system.

Not having a dig, well I am, but if you seen a 5yo and didn't think they might do something unpredictable then you weren't reading the conditions. Around my house I move onto the road on my morning commute as I pass school kids, they fall onto the path, they drop their parents, it happens. Same as motorists who blame kids when they speed round an estate, it's an excuse.

I have been out there a few times, use the road all the time, not sure why anyone wanting to tip along at a decent clip would use the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

Best avoided if you are travelling at anything other than a leisurely pace.

100% this. It seems to be more of a "leisure facility" than a cycling infrastructure in the sense of getting from A to B.

Kids and dogs, last things I want to see when I'm cycling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Out at 1.30 today, got in a couple of laps of the Ballyboughal area, bit chilly even though the Garmin said 6c. Had a bit of a wobble coming around a bend leading into Ballyboughal, not sure if it was entirely due to a crosswind or the amount of crap on the road but I very nearly went over. Temps showing a max of 1c tomorrow so I might wimp out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

rushfan wrote: »
    Out at 1.30 today, got in a couple of laps of the Ballyboughal area, bit chilly even though the Garmin said 6c. Had a bit of a wobble coming around a bend leading into Ballyboughal, not sure if it was entirely due to a crosswind or the amount of crap on the road but I very nearly went over. Temps showing a max of 1c tomorrow so I might wimp out.

I'm living in North East US and pay very close attention to the expected temperature. Was out in minus 1 at the weekend and was probably a couple degrees colder with wind chill. My biggest concern with such temperatures, is not so much riding in them, as you'll stay warm as long as you are mostly dry but if you have a breakdown then being stopped for a while and replacing a tube or whatever in these temps get in to dangerous territory quite quickly.

In fairness, weather predictions for wind, temp and rain have become excellent in recent years. Can set your watch by the google prediction of rain in this region. Maybe not at home in Ireland given how it is so changeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm living in North East US and pay very close attention to the expected temperature. Was out in minus 1 at the weekend and was probably a couple degrees colder with wind chill. My biggest concern with such temperatures, is not so much riding in them, as you'll stay warm as long as you are mostly dry but if you have a breakdown then being stopped for a while and replacing a tube or whatever in these temps get in to dangerous territory quite quickly.

In fairness, weather predictions for wind, temp and rain have become excellent in recent years. Can set your watch by the google prediction of rain in this region. Maybe not at home in Ireland given how it is so changeable.

That's a very good point! I've seen quite a few people out cycling recently wearing shorts! If you ask these guys I'm sure they'll tell you they don't "feel the cold" while cycling, but they aren't taking into account how cold they'll get if they have to stop to replace a tube etc.

On a recent club spin a youth member came along and he wasn't wearing leg warmers. By the end of the spin he realised why the rest of us were wearing bib tights, thermal jackets, neck buffs and gloves. The poor lad was freezing and needed a hot chocolate at the coffee shop to warm himslf up!

They mentioned it on the commentary on the CX racing the other day and I remember it well when last year Eli Iserbyt stopped mid race and was lifted over the barrier and given the jacket by spectators. Then off to the hospital for hypothermia.

My own very mild experience was this time 4 or 5 years ago now I think, I was out early on a cold morning poorly clothed and the Gardai had closed a road after a crash and I stopped to be nosy and stood gum flapping with them for 15-20 minutes. Ended up in the back of the squad car to warm up :o

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Kids and dogs, last things I want to see when I'm cycling :D
    Dog scared the sh1t out of me as I went around the back way to Kilmacanogue, he was completly silent until I was level with the Garden and he let out one sharp bark, fairly woke me up,
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    That's a very good point! I've seen quite a few people out cycling recently wearing shorts! If you ask these guys I'm sure they'll tell you they don't "feel the cold" while cycling, but they aren't taking into account how cold they'll get if they have to stop to replace a tube etc.

On a recent club spin a youth member came along and he wasn't wearing leg warmers. By the end of the spin he realised why the rest of us were wearing bib tights, thermal jackets, neck buffs and gloves. The poor lad was freezing and needed a hot chocolate at the coffee shop to warm himself up!
    This year was the year I had to finally give in and accept that its just not acceptable to go out like that, since I lost the layers of insulation I simply can't. Had to have bib tights, thermal jersey, winter jacket, winter gloves , winter shoe covers, 2 pairs of socks, a buff round my neck and another round my head under my helmet. Had to take the two buffs off when I started climbing but that was it, the rest were necessary. Seen a good few people out yesterday in shorts and two in short sleeved jerseys around Stepaside. Not the year to be getting a cough or a chill.
    Yeah, on the slow down, he looks right at the kid before jamming his knee out, he will be, quite rightly, strung up (metaphorically) for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭cletus

Just about to post the same. He looks at her then pushes her with his knee. Asshole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭plodder

On a recent club spin a youth member came along and he wasn't wearing leg warmers. By the end of the spin he realised why the rest of us were wearing bib tights, thermal jackets, neck buffs and gloves. The poor lad was freezing and needed a hot chocolate at the coffee shop to warm himslf up!
    I was out in shorts yesterday and in fact two guys passing, commented on it. As I said to them, my legs don't feel the cold. As it happened, it was the first time I wore a hat under the helmet and I had a new neck buff, so I felt quite cosy. Breakdowns are a concern all right, but I still find my upper body gets cold faster than my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭secman

Did a static spin today 1 hr 30 min and using my last week s avg of 25.8 kph gives me 38km .
    Had only 1 dry winter kit available and kept it for tomorrow :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

last spin of the year, out to howth and back. nice day for it (tomorrow looks horrendous).

45k with 700 climbing at 27kph at lunchtime. Much nicer today after the rain cleared up. I won't be getting fat this Christmas anyway!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

last spin of the year, out to howth and back. nice day for it (tomorrow looks horrendous).
    You can also expect to be limited to 5km tomorrow going by the news.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Might just turbo train tomorrow given it's an apt way to close out the year.

Also Howth and back. Hardly cycled for the last 6 weeks but got out today and yesterday. It's telling. Slow is not the word. Legs not cooperating either.

Magicbastarder and I passed one another. I on the way out, he on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Doing a few jobs on the bike at lunchtime when I realised that there would probably be no club spin permitted tomorrow (or anytime soon) and the forecast was miserable anyway.
    After layering up well I headed west to St Catherine's Park via Castleknock and Porterstown before skirting the Kildare border on Tubber Lane en route to Hazelhatch. I reckoned it was too late to head for Athgoe or Brittas so turned over to Peamount and Grange Castle and then into Griffeen Valley Park to get back to Lucan. Back towards home along the Strawberry Beds with a lap of the Park to remind me how great it was to have it within my 5k circle in the Spring and Autumn. I expect I'll be seeing a lot of it over the remaining Winter months too.

CramCycle wrote: »

This year was the year I had to finally give in and accept that its just not acceptable to go out like that, since I lost the layers of insulation I simply can't. Had to have bib tights, thermal jersey, winter jacket, winter gloves , winter shoe covers, 2 pairs of socks, a buff round my neck and another round my head under my helmet. Had to take the two buffs off when I started climbing but that was it, the rest were necessary. Seen a good few people out yesterday in shorts and two in short sleeved jerseys around Stepaside. Not the year to be getting a cough or a chill.

I did 130k today. The temperature all day never went above 2 degrees. I left the house at 10am and my Garmin was telling me the temperature was -1 (wind chill).

I was wearing Fizik R5 artic boots, spatzs roadman neopene knee high overshoes, bib tights, long sleeve base layer, winter jacket, neck buff, Prendras winter hat and winter gloves. At no time did I feel too warm! At one point,my hands and feet were very cold, but as I cycled through Dublin City Centre, the constant stopping at lights meant I was constantly unclipping from the pedals. This helped warm my feet, but it also contributed to lowering my core temperature and resulted in my hands getting very cold. Once I left the city centre, I was able to push on,which raised my core temperature and I started warming up again. I also stopped after 70k and had a large hot coffee and some food. After that I was fine.

I'm six foot tall and weigh 76kg, so I don't have a lot of excess weight/insulation, which probably doesn't help either.

plodder wrote: »
    I was out in shorts yesterday and in fact two guys passing, commented on it. As I said to them, my legs don't feel the cold. As it happened, it was the first time I wore a hat under the helmet and I had a new neck buff, so I felt quite cosy. Breakdowns are a concern all right, but I still find my upper body gets cold faster than my legs.

Fair enough...I guess we're all different. I find keeping my legs warm helps keep my feet warm. If I was to wear shorts at this time of year, my feet would be frozen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I was wearing Fizik R5 artic boots, spatzs roadman neopene knee high overshoes, bib tights, long sleeve base layer, winter jacket, neck buff, Prendras winter hat and winter gloves.

I'm six foot tall and weigh 76kg, so I don't have a lot of excess weight/insulation, which probably doesn't help either.

I probably have even less natural insulation but have been managing okay so far this winter even though I've had bad hands and feet issues in the past. When it's down around zero or less, I might go with a second base layer but am using a second jersey, arm warmers and a base layer under a Mistral jacket as well as Mistral bib tights on the last few rides. I wear marino socks under Northwave Arctic boots with neoprene overshoes and marino liners under Roeckl gloves with chemical hardwarmers as back up if it gets seriously cold or wet. Up top I've been using a Grip Grab balaclava but bring a neck buff to use instead if it if it warms up.

Keeping moving is probably just as important as the right gear and it's unfortunate that hedge cutting and consequential punctures seem to coincide with the coldest weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Out for a chilly 40km early afternoon, feckin hell it was cold.
    Drimnagh, Tallaght, Lucan, Palmerstown, obligatory lap of the pheonivx park and home again.
    Is it just me, or does everyone's pace drop in the cold?

https://strava.app.link/fHgW2b8nEcb

I've been busy this evening adding some insulation, a chipper, a split section box with herself and 2 wines and a beer should give me the additional insulation I need for the cold days ahead :pac:

Everyone's pace drops in winter. Your wearing more clothes, the air is colder/more dense and lots of people are on their winter bike,which is usually heavier,due to mudguards,lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Or I just get fatter over Christmas!!

Same bike/equipment- I'm going with your denser air theory though

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Or I just get fatter over Christmas!!

Same bike/equipment- I'm going with your denser air theory though

Is my tyre pressure too low or my arse too big ? :D

I've been busy this evening adding some insulation, a chipper, a split section box with herself and 2 wines and a beer should give me the additional insulation I need for the cold days ahead :pac:

Me too! A few beers and a box of Heros chocolates to nibble! :)

I probably have even less natural insulation but have been managing okay so far this winter even though I've had bad hands and feet issues in the past. When it's down around zero or less, I might go with a second base layer but am using a second jersey, arm warmers and a base layer under a Mistral jacket as well as Mistral bib tights on the last few rides. I wear marino socks under Northwave Arctic boots with neoprene overshoes and marino liners under Roeckl gloves with chemical hardwarmers as back up if it gets seriously cold or wet. Up top I've been using a Grip Grab balaclava but bring a neck buff to use instead if it if it warms up.

Keeping moving is probably just as important as the right gear and it's unfortunate that hedge cutting and consequential punctures seem to coincide with the coldest weather.

I think the next time I go out in similar conditions, I'll bring a spare pair of gloves. I found my hands got very cold due to the inside of my gloves getting damp,due to sweat. Once they were wet, I had to up the pace to generate a bit more heat. A fresh pair of gloves would have helped a lot today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I wore a Santini Meridian Jacket, which I rarely get to. I just forgot how bloody good it is and recall wearing it in a snow/sleet blizzard for 100 k a few years ago and it being excellent.

Fair enough...I guess we're all different. I find keeping my legs warm helps keep my feet warm. If I was to wear shorts at this time of year, my feet would be frozen!

I only put the tights on for the first time two days ago. I hate wearing them and only get cold in shorts when the temperature goes below about 4 degrees. At the same time I'd wear gloves and overshoes from early October right through to March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭secman

Everyone's pace drops in winter. Your wearing more clothes, the air is colder/more dense and lots of people are on their winter bike,which is usually heavier,due to mudguards,lights etc.

And adding to all that some people also chose to pair back the intensity, the body just cant go "hard" all of the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement