Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

Out for a river loop this morning on the TT as the roadie has been giving me back pain despite a bike fit.
    TT is normally ok but got off it all seized up with pins and needles in my hands. May have to stick to the running at this rate.

Been hot here too, not so noticeable on the bike with the breeze but I lost 1.2kg over the ride with sweat
    40k at 29kph, mostly flat with a puncture just to keep things interesting
    https://strava.app.link/OSET0PQB7bb

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭cletus

Slideways wrote: »
    Out for a river loop this morning on the TT as the roadie has been giving me back pain despite a bike fit.
    TT is normally ok but got off it all seized up with pins and needles in my hands. May have to stick to the running at this rate.

Been hot here too, not so noticeable on the bike with the breeze but I lost 1.2kg over the ride with sweat
    40k at 29kph, mostly flat with a puncture just to keep things interesting
    https://strava.app.link/OSET0PQB7bb

That Strava map brings back memories. I lived on North Beach for a spell, would have frequented Cottesloe and Freemantle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

cletus wrote: »
    That Strava map brings back memories. I lived on North Beach for a spell, would have frequented Cottesloe and Freemantle

The place has its negatives at times but when it comes to cycling it’s pretty much perfect. Lots of cycle paths, great flat coastal rides and if you feel like punishing yourself some reasonable hills to get the granny gear some use

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭cletus

Slideways wrote: »
    The place has its negatives at times but when it comes to cycling it’s pretty much perfect. Lots of cycle paths, great flat coastal rides and if you feel like punishing yourself some reasonable hills to get the granny gear some use

I'll be honset, I loved it there, didnt cycle, but the lifestyle suited me down to the ground. That was 18 years ago, though, so things may have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Nice little 40K up to past the Vico baths and back via Sandycove. Definitely need a zero setback seatpost!

Lovely weather, not nearly as chilly as last week either :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

First time seeing what could reasonably be described as a hill in about 8 weeks. Definitely felt fitness was down, and had some minor cramping in the legs at one point when I got out of the saddle. Still, nice evening to be back out again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

And after tomorrow, the evenings start brightening again. Albeit slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

First time seeing what could reasonably be described as a hill in about 8 weeks. Definitely felt fitness was down, and had some minor cramping in the legs at one point when I got out of the saddle. Still, nice evening to be back out again.

Yeah. I got in Bellewstown and a couple between there and the Naul.
    Eh yeah not fast.

Wasn't too far away from there today, up the mall and down snowtown into the naul.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Lovely cycle from tallaght to Lucan today and back. Cold but dry and sunny. All in I was out for about 2 hrs as I took detours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Did 62k today, out to Dun Laoirghe then Howth. Traffic was mad everywhere, nice day though.

My fitness is definitely down, going to make a good stab at the festive 500 over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Off out the door @9am today in what was a beautiful dry but chilly day. My enthusiasm for the day led me beyond borders with just the one stop for a coffee to warm the sheckles. A coffee at the beach in winter is new to me but it was magical with the day as it was.

139km done in just under 5hrs at a reasonable 28.5 km avg.

More tomorrow but its forecast to be pretty wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I was a bit reluctant to head out today, ahead of a night shift, not to mention the low temps, plus a rake of sport on the tv. Anyway, off I went at 12, got in 70km but there was a definite drop off in temps around 3. Nonetheless, a great day to be out, glad I went in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

3.5 hours donegal town killlybegs, ardara and home

first hour great the road surface form donegal town to killybegs is sooo good these days.

then the rain started 2 hours of a downpour

great to get out though

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭mvt

Just back from a beautiful spin round the Phoenix park, was practically empty & looked stunning in the fading light.
    Came home in the dark along the liffey through the memorial park thinking there was a cyclist coming against me & it turned out to be a rower in the water :o

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Nice short spin after work, I'd been chicken to go out the last two weeks with weather and a cold that I have.
    Drimnagh, blanch, Clonee, across to Lucan,then back home -37km at an average of 27kph, no climbing to speak of, was a lovely afternoon for cycling.

https://strava.app.link/eRIxfltQdcb

first time up over howth in two months. nice evening for it.

on the way home (soon after seeing an eye opening demonstration of RLJing by half a dozen motorists) i passed a cyclist having an argument with a motorist. she was parked on the left hand side of the road, facing the oncoming direction, outside a school; and if i was a betting man i'd hazard a guess she swung into that spot right in front of the cyclist, on the way to pick up her precious darlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A near perfect club spin this morning back and forth across NCD in winter sunshine made even better by hitting the 91.9km mark just outside St Margarets. That brought my 2020 total to 10k, a target that certainly didn't seem possible back in the days of the 2km circle last April. With 50 laps of the Phoenix Park during the original 5km circle and another 75 laps during the recent restrictions, the resumption of club spins this month was very welcome even with Centra and Applegreen takeaways rather than our usual cafe scones, mini-breakfasts and lattes!

https://strava.app.link/ZLkulKJoicb

After nearly three weeks out with a heavy cold and then an ear infection, I got back on the saddle this morning for 80k with 900 climbing @ 27kph.

Was in good shape on my last spin - managed to drop my brother on a few climbs when I used always be blowing a gasket trying to keep up with him! - so was a pity I had the enforced break. Felt fine overall today but the legs were a bit stiff and achey towards the end. Stayed dry in the main but the roads were very wet and mucky so it was hard to get any momentum.

fair play. i was out today and managed the same speed for 50km with way less climbing. the wind wasn't helping.

• Advertisement

Last spin of the year for me today due to a minor surgery procedure so headed off for 4 hrs across the coast roads of Waterford. The weather today was ideal for the bike & met plenty on the road.

A tasty pastry & double espresso gave me good legs for the last 40km, legs were tired after a solid 7 day block.

120km @ 30avg with 1000m of up.

If anyone gets out of their county the coast roads of Waterford are well worth the effort to get there

dahat wrote: »
    Last spin of the year for me today due to a minor surgery procedure so headed off for 4 hrs across the coast roads of Waterford. The weather today was ideal for the bike & met plenty on the road.

A tasty pastry & double espresso gave me good legs for the last 40km, legs were tired after a solid 7 day block.

120km @ 30avg with 1000m of up.

If anyone gets out of their county the coast roads of Waterford are well worth the effort to get there

Conor Dunne on GCN has been doing a great job promoting the coastal roads of Waterford. I'll get down there from Cork for a spin next summer, all going well.

Conor Dunne on GCN has been doing a great job promoting the coastal roads of Waterford. I'll get down there from Cork for a spin next summer, all going well.

You should, its a beautiful part of the country and easy make a weekend break out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

My yearly cycling goal was completed today. I rode the Pink Elephant 200 solo around Cork. It's a great route encompassing some of the best scenery Cork has to offer.

I was riding it as part of the Audax Ireland Four Provinces challenge. I started with the Mayo 200 in the middle of Storm Dennis in February, the Orwell 200 in March, the Titanic Torr in mid-July for Ulster (another great route taking in the Antrim glens and Torr Head) and finally today's ride for Munster.

Never let it be said that I do things the easy way!

https://strava.app.link/nd7nl1hFncb

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

60km flatish south of donegal town. most surprising was the weather one very light shower ,winter sunshine the rest of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

I did 85k today and the wind behind me was great, a bit harsh going against. I got a puncture too my first on my p zero tyres a nice cut in the tyre too. Nice day for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

Solo spin today, up to Kilmuckridge along the coast road to Blackwater, Curracloe to main Wexford road. Right for Castlebridge, Crossabeg on to Enniscorthy, Ferns. Right turn to The Harrow , Boolavogue, Ballyedmund and home.
    81km avg 26.5kph 650 meters.
    Body still sore after the spill on Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Got in 40km on Saturday, squeezed in between the Leinster game & the All Ireland. Another 50 km yesterday but found it a tad harder than normal. having a few issues with the right knee atm which doesn't help. All this weekend sport on the box also doesn't help either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Escaped Dublin for the weekend and luckily my bike was ready after me finally dropping it in for post crash inspection and bit of a tune up just on time. Got a nice ~75k ish super slow spin on Sunday from Dungarvan towards Tramore along the coast and then swung into Dunhill when I reached Annestown > Kill > back to Bunmahon and then back along the coast to Dungarvan. So nice to get off the busy Dublin/Wicklow/Kildare roads, barely any cars and any that do pass you give you a huge amount of space. It's so much more pleasant, but I guess they're very much used to cyclists on the coast road. The only car that cut me close was a Dublin reg SUV. Go figure. :)

Eps-Ku7z-XYAAOPL5-1.jpg

Hadn't done anything above 20k on the bike since crashing in September and hadn't been outdoors at all on it since October so saddle became a little uncomfortable and shoulders a little tender today but totally worth it. Glad to be confident the bike is good to go now with the two week break from work, hoping to get out and about on it a good bit now before the level 5 restrictions kick back in.

• Advertisement

Not on a Bianchi by any chance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement