Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Choppy enough on the water today, but a nice yield from the lobster pots anyhow.:D

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Choppy enough on the water today, but a nice yield from the lobster pots anyhow.:D

This is what you need for that kind of ride https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-51029492/ces-2020-manta5-s-electric-bike-rides-on-water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Got up Howth this morning before work, just a beautiful morning to be out on the bike. Clear skies with sun just above the horizon, not much wind either, happy days :D

Temp only got as low as 1.7 degrees on the Garmin, I was expecting lower tbh, though it was 8:45 before I finally got going. By the time I went through Howth village the second time it had climbed by a full degree so was warming up pretty quickly.

Then the slog into town to bring me back to earth a bit!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got out to howth myself too shortly after that. Continued into Malahide, Swords and stopped for coffee in Ballyboughal. Onto Mail, Clonalvy, Garristowm, Old town and meandered home.

100km in mostly glorious sunshine. Loads out on the bike too and only 1 half incident with any traffic while the rest all waited like normal people.

First 100k in a while so will feel it later.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/o2b5ryyy82

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out for a lunch time spin over the last three days. Hell fire club, Enniskerry and then Bohernabreena reservoir today. Is it just me or have the hills got that bit steeper since before the Christmas? Struggling to find any rhythm on the bike at the moment but determined to keep at it.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Is it just me or have the hills got that bit steeper since before the Christmas? Struggling to find any rhythm on the bike at the moment but determined to keep at it.

Yeah I was a mess on the bike up the mountains last Friday, Today on Howth was a bit better, albeit with far less climbing but I felt better anyway.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Got out to howth myself too shortly after that. Continued into Malahide, Swords and stopped for coffee in Ballyboughal. Onto Mail, Clonalvy, Garristowm, Old town and meandered home.

100km in mostly glorious sunshine. Loads out on the bike too and only 1 half incident with any traffic while the rest all waited like normal people.

First 100k in a while so will feel it later.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/o2b5ryyy82

You nicely scraped that 100km :pac:

I'm aiming for the GF per month but didn't have the time to do it today, hopefully the weather holds up next week and I'll aim for something similar to that, though maybe with Howth at the back end :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yup, miscalculated by a little bit so went around the corner for to get the extra few hundred metres.

Hurt my shoulder in a fall during the week (at home) felt mostly okay on the bike but afterwards I'm feeling it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Nice tailwind home last night but paid for it by getting soaked coming into work today.
    I don’t usually listen to music while I’m riding but after last nights news, I decided I have to listen to Rush all day today, so I put in earphones and listened to Exit Stage Left at high volume. I must say, I hardly noticed the weather. RIP Neil Peart 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The usual Sunday Solo for me on what was a crisp but fresh day with bright skies. The type of morning that forces you to get out on the bike really.

Had planned for 4 hrs with a 3 x 20 efforts at the end but a gross miscalculation had me put by nearly 2hrs! I realised this early but kept on as the efforts were best done on The Vee ( fav clb for suffering).

All done with 5hrs 50 mins, 29.1 avg & 2012m of up. I'll be found on the couch for next 4hrs if anyone needs me!.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nice pleasant spin out with club yesterday (Saturday spin postponed) but I'd have preferred to do more than the 60kms.

Cycled in to work today despite the predictions of doom and gloom from the Orange weather warning.
    It was breezy but not bad. Traffic was heavy on the N4 but only interaction was a hi-ace type minibus passing me (they were in lane 1, I was in the bus lane) which had an old lady shout out to me that I should be on the cycle path that she was pointing at (in case I had not spotted it). She had about three words out before I instinctively told her to F-off.
    Caught up with them at the red lights at the junction for the Newcastle Rd (they were going straight on). Not sure why they went from lane 1 back into the bus lane only to drive up the slip road and stop at the lights waiting to go straight on but anyhow :confused:. The driver told me that I should be on the cycle path. I corrected him and said that wasn't the case. He then told me "that is why we built it". I thanked him for building it, shook my head and just went to the front of the queue to wait for the green light.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wild out there this morning in North Dublin. Decided to avoid the coast due to the wind and take the Malahide road into town. Easier on the wind front, but much more contentious with traffic. Wasn't too bad in the end, a few close passes but that's expected. Damn winter weather.

Wild out there this morning in North Dublin. Decided to avoid the coast due to the wind and take the Malahide road into town. Easier on the wind front, but much more contentious with traffic. Wasn't too bad in the end, a few close passes but that's expected. Damn winter weather.

The coast was largely fine tbh, strong side-headwind but very manageable. Then after cyclo-crossing it across the sandbags, I had a classic MGIF on Alfie Byrne rd :mad:
    Sometimes when riding on the coast path you nearly forget the wonders of complete segregation from motor traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Today was the standard commute cycle, starting 6.30, thought it would be wet, but it wasn't.

The coast was largely fine tbh, strong side-headwind but very manageable. Then after cyclo-crossing it across the sandbags, I had a classic MGIF on Alfie Byrne rd :mad:
    Sometimes when riding on the coast path you nearly forget the wonders of complete segregation from motor traffic.

Had to look up MGIF. Turns out not to mean My Girlfriend Is Fitter. Who'dve thunk it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Had to look up MGIF. Turns out not to mean My Girlfriend Is Fitter. Who'dve thunk it :)

Assumed something like My God, I'm F*cked but to save you looking it up it's Must Get In Front. I assume it was a car in Mr Spuckler's case but other (slower) cyclists doing it at traffic lights really pisses me off. I think it's called shoaling in that context.

Assumed something like My God, I'm F*cked but to save you looking it up it's Must Get In Front. I assume it was a car in Mr Spuckler's case but other (slower) cyclists doing it at traffic lights really pisses me off. I think it's called shoaling in that context.

It was a car - slow cyclists doing it annoy me too but rarely if ever endanger me as the motorists do!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's actually short for 'My God, it's full (of stars)'

Managed to get my January Gran Fondo done today (have a goal of at least 1 x 100km per month). It was a real struggle, probably wasn't fit enough to be aiming for 100, have had a bad week of sleep, a head cold and then it seemed like I was hitting a wall of headwind no matter which way I turned :mad:

So anyway with a fine list of excuses, Raheny, Lusk, Rush, Skerries, Balbriggan, Naul, Oldtown, Swords and a cheeky lap of Howth then back to Raheny for 100.2km at a sluggish 25.5 km/h!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3019149696

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Not too bad today after the frost and ice had cleared. There was a bit of warmth in the sun but absolutely freezing in any shade.

When temps dip that low overnight, that gravel surface on the Royal Canal greenway turns into a concretey slush that sticks to the frame... a fecking pain to clean if its left to dry.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out on a club spin in the late morning and managed just over 60kms. Just south of the K club we hit some black ice on a right hand bend. The front 8 or so all went down. I was on the left so managed to steer onto the grass and avoid it.
    One of the lads broke his derailleur hanger. He arranged a lift and the rest of us headed off staying on main roads.
    Plenty of cars beeping at us for using their road. One driver travelling towards us near Kilcock decided to beep about half a dozen times as he approached and give the wanker gesture as he passed. Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Went out on a club spin in the late morning and managed just over 60kms. Just south of the K club we hit some black ice on a right hand bend. The front 8 or so all went down. I was on the left so managed to steer onto the grass and avoid it.
    One of the lads broke his derailleur hanger. He arranged a lift and the rest of us headed off staying on main roads.
    Plenty of cars beeping at us for using their road. One driver travelling towards us near Kilcock decided to beep about half a dozen times as he approached and give the wanker gesture as he passed. Idiot.

Saw the photos of that. Decision was silly to go out.

I went down on black ice on a morning where there was barely a frost at my house before Christmas. There is no way I would have gone out this morning after the rain this week and the heavy freeze last night. It's just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Came down Howth head via Carrickbrack road behind a cyclist in our Campervan. Cyclist was doing 50kph and the limit is 60kph, good cyclist, rock steady, confident and fast so cruised behind him for most of the way.

Car behind was flashing me and veering left and right.
    Eventually passed the cyclist safely when he slowed down at a slight incline.

Cyclist passed us both (stationary in traffic) at Sutton Cross!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

30k on main roads only this morning with dad and the neighbour. Took the decision to go as id done nothing all week except for 10k on the mountain bike with the young lad. We tipped into edenderry at a nice pace until we got to the hill into the town and i completely bonked. usually i lead the attack up any hill but got dropped here and it was a recurring theme for the remainder of the spin with cramps in hamstrings again for some reason.

Behind on my weekly goal now.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/ISdBSbFrn3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭saccades

-1C ave temp.

80km around South Wicklow, ave 26km with 500m climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

140km in 5hrs with temps hitting - 4 max 9, raw kind of day. I stayed on gritted roads to be safe and bar descending after hill reps it was a safe day.
    En route home I had a dig at a KOM & my wahoo gave it to me by 1 second but when the ride uploaded I was equal top once again, raging.

140km @ 29.4 avg with 1500m of up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday's spin was one of those i just don't enjoy, across town to clontarf coast road to do a lap of Howth head, back via sandymount, fosters ave, churchtown and home. 73 km avg 25kph. The stop/start, traffic and that Clontarf cycle lane just isn't cycling for me .
    Today on the otherhand was a lovely spin from Gorey to Arklow, out old N11 to Jack Whites and down to the Beehive and back same route. Great road for such a frosty morning, little traffic.
    78km avg 29kph, such a contrast.

secman wrote: »
    Yesterday's spin was one of those i just don't enjoy, across town to clontarf coast road to do a lap of Howth head, back via sandymount, fosters ave, churchtown and home. 73 km avg 25kph. The stop/start, traffic and that Clontarf cycle lane just isn't cycling for me .
    Today on the otherhand was a lovely spin from Gorey to Arklow, out old N11 to Jack Whites and down to the Beehive and back same route. Great road for such a frosty morning, little traffic.
    78km avg 29kph, such a contrast.

First time on Clontarf cycle track with a group myself today, also cycling in to town to get there. Wouldn't be my choice of route either but good to get out for something a bit different and a nice crew. 70k odd at a slow enough stop start pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

Few groups from my club seemed to go out yesterday, despite other groups deciding not to, surprised something like this didn't happen as they would have been at higher elevations. Not a great decision by them to go out imo. I waited until the frost cleared and had a solo spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Managed to get my January Gran Fondo done today (have a goal of at least 1 x 100km per month). It was a real struggle, probably wasn't fit enough to be aiming for 100, have had a bad week of sleep, a head cold and then it seemed like I was hitting a wall of headwind no matter which way I turned :mad:

So anyway with a fine list of excuses, Raheny, Lusk, Rush, Skerries, Balbriggan, Naul, Oldtown, Swords and a cheeky lap of Howth then back to Raheny for 100.2km at a sluggish 25.5 km/h!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3019149696
    Sluggish! That's fast for me...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement