Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I have had a plan for a while to tackle some of the Dublin/Wicklow mountains, not being that close to the area to frequent it more often. So drove out to Old Bawn, within 500m I punctured, quick repair and then up Cunard to the Featherbeds, then down toward Enniskerry in search of the Full Wall. Got a bit lost around Lacken forest but did find the start and baby sweet Jesus what a start. Thought the Wahoo had gone haywire as it showed 27% gradient at one point. Got to the Old Long hill and down towards Roundwood. Then up to Sally Gap and back towards Glencree and Stocking Lane. Glorious day out, windy enough at exposed points. 65K with 1500m, far too much and I am now officially knackered/shredded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'd planned on heading to the mountains too but the wind and potential for ice (was meant to be down to 3 degrees at ground level last night) put me off. short 50km spin up Howth and as far as Malahide then back to Raheny instead. it really was beautiful out when not getting beaten by that headwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭secman

Last night ,
    Headed up Cruagh to viewing point and up old military road and down cunard, glenasmole, bohernabreena, old mill and home.
    33 km , 570 meters, avg just under 21kph.
    Very mild and strong enough headwind, but cold on the descent, watching out for sheep sleep walking :)
    Group of 4 of us, met a lone soul up there, he went Glencree, Enniskerry . Lovely night spin.
    Dublin looked well, all lit up .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

120/1500 @23.

Gorgeous dawn followed by grey and rainy then back to lovely again. God bless global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

Solo spin out west, breezy on the way back in... 62km @ 26.6kmph

https://www.strava.com/activities/2152842354

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Took delivery of a brand-new Cube Attain yesterday. Spent an hour or 2 fluting around with it. Just back from the inaugural spin and have to say I'm really impressed. There's some difference between it & it's predecessor, a 9 speed Raleigh Airlite. Anyway, 36km in savage crosswinds around the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Constant cross head wind, out and back, on the Mullingar greenway today. Regardless of the South/South Westerly wind, there seems to be no relief on the way back to Mullingar apart from maybe the last few kms.

Good spin anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

First club spin of the year out with some lads from St Tiernan's. Great craic! They where doing a reccy of Dorey's forge for an upcoming race and I was getting in the groove for bunch riding. Had a poxy wind the whole way.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2152914691

Had to be back early this morning for grandsons footy, so hit the road at 6:30 am, pitch dark, so had lights on board. Up embankment, down Lisheen, manor Kilbride, 3 castles, blessington, out onto n81, left turn for Valleymount, around the lake drive, 3 castles, manor Kilbride and home. 70 km 600+ meters Avg 26.2 kph. Windy enough. Only got daylight st blessington,

Obviously Solo, no takers for a 6:30 am start :)

First puncture of the year near Clogherhead this morning, and had two cars stop while I was changing tubes to see if I was stuck and needed help. Good know know folk out that way are of the helpful sort. Second fella that stopped had a track pump in the boot for me and even offered me a tube !!!!! Pump was much appreciated so if that fella posts here thanks Derek.

I've being saying to myself for ages I should carry a few bits in the car in case I meet someone in need so I'll be doing so from tomorrow on.

• Advertisement

I've been advocating it for a while here and on Strava, I carry an old track pump , a tube, a tyre with life left in it, tyre levers in the boot of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

secman wrote:
    Had to be back early this morning for grandsons footy, so hit the road at 6:30 am, pitch dark, so had lights on board. Up embankment, down Lisheen, manor Kilbride, 3 castles, blessington, out onto n81, left turn for Valleymount, around the lake drive, 3 castles, manor Kilbride and home. 70 km 600+ meters Avg 26.2 kph. Windy enough. Only got daylight st blessington,

Christ Secman, dedication. Respect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fairly flat 72km this morning, real west of Ireland weather, blustery, sunny, rainy, repeat. Passed a bunch of lads near dunboyne, just as at least two of them had picked up punctures simultaneously, and possibly a third too. I managed to escape any such issues, but was travelling in the opposite direction which may have made the difference.

Headed into Gorey, for a spin with Gorey cc touring group, Carnew, Bunclody, Ferns and back to Gorey. 83 km 840 metres Avg 27.5 kph

Cool down spin from Gorey back to house, 15 km Avg 21 kph

98km for the day.

Edit anyone else having a problem uploading to Strava today ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yep, they're reporting issues.

Yep, they're reporting issues.

Any one else having a problem uploading to Strava ?

garmin connect is now having issues. i had to import my ride manually to strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the Ray Crinion spin today. Hell for leather most of the way. Last year I had a spill in Kilucan and the weather was utterly miserable so I abandoned as I passed the house. This year was much better. Nice bright dry day, stayed upright. The breeze was a blessing and a curse, headwind kept things fairly civil for the first 20-30 km from Trim to Ballivor and on through Kilucan but once we got back out onto the dual carraigeway near Mullingar things took a step up in pace. That held to Coralstown then on to Kinnegad, only slowing a little bit when we swing a bit more into the wind from there past Clonard.
    I was in the front bunch all the way to Moy valley but there's only so far a young lad like me can hang on for once the big boys come out to play. Rode solo from Mother Hubbards through Longwood and into Trim with a good tailwind.
    Lovely baked potato with beans and cheese, cuppa, biscuits and then a smack in the face with that breeze slaughtering me and 2 clubmates all the way back to Longwood. Finished with 109 km in 3.14.48 @ 33.1kmh with the sportive itself coming in at 76 km@35.9kmh.
    Cobwebs well shook off!! :D:D
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2155614244/segments/54362139638

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

secman wrote: »
    Any one else having a problem uploading to Strava ?

https://status.strava.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Donal Crowley spin in Blarney today, grand 97 km. Bitch of a wind for last 40 km

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »

Saying now it's fixed but I still can't load an activity today to Strava that I can see on Garmin, pain in the was

Edit, manually uploaded the spin to Strava, thanks to a bit of help, thanks Derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Went for short ride around south of Drogheda today, first spin this year and first activity of any sort after coming down with flu and the tailbone pain that just won't go away. Felt great though - beautiful day, lovely views (Drogheda-Duleek-Julianstown-Laytown-Mornington-Drogheda) and felt like a new person.. well it's starting to wear off now, and looking forward to some good rides this year. (Hoping to do day riding Galway-Drogh, and if stars align right - huge IF - m2m over 3/4 days).

Saying now it's fixed but I still can't load an activity today to Strava that I can see on Garmin, pain in the ass.

Managed to manually upload it to Strava, thanks to help ftom both guys i pestered :)

First puncture of the year near Clogherhead this morning, and had two cars stop while I was changing tubes to see if I was stuck and needed help. Good know know folk out that way are of the helpful sort. Second fella that stopped had a track pump in the boot for me and even offered me a tube !!!!! Pump was much appreciated so if that fella posts here thanks Derek.

I've being saying to myself for ages I should carry a few bits in the car in case I meet someone in need so I'll be doing so from tomorrow on.
    Saying now it's fixed but I still can't load an activity today to Strava that I can see on Garmin, pain in the was

Edit, manually uploaded the spin to Strava, thanks to a bit of help, thanks Derek.

at this rate of soundness I'll call my next born Derek :D :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Brutal headwind this morning coming into town from North Dublin. I was down to a crawl for the most part, lowish blood sugar not helping matters either! It was good resistance training however, I do feel I need a bit of a kick into gear I've been slacking!

Brutal headwind this morning coming into town from North Dublin. I was down to a crawl for the most part, lowish blood sugar not helping matters either! It was good resistance training however, I do feel I need a bit of a kick into gear I've been slacking!

I'm always ok with that cruel headwind into work as long as I get the evening time payback! a strong headwind on the way home regardless of how it was in the morning is another matter :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

20k home after work into a whore of a headwind, The sofa ever felt so good..

Cunningham road felt endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

It was warm in Dublin yesterday (13/14 degC) - went out with shorts and short-sleeve jersey for the city centre to Howth loop - bring on Spring!

I wasn't cold at all TBH, but got some stares from others who were all wrapped-up.

yep, this morning was the first morning for me in short sleeves and fingerless gloves. lovely morning for it, and traffic was lighter than usual, i guess because of the schools.

• Advertisement

I should've gone down that path but instead was just a ball of sweat when I got in to work :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement