Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV carriage on Saorview approved

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Selling their Sky EPG slot will bring in some money for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Selling their Sky EPG slot will bring in some money for them
    I wonder how much selling epg slot would be worth to them and if it would make up for some of the losses they have incurred?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I wonder how much selling epg slot would be worth to them and if it would make up for some of the losses they have incurred?

What does this mean? getting off the sky platform I'd imagine, not looking good at all.

What does this mean? getting off the sky platform I'd imagine, not looking good at all.
    Yes where they are positioned on the Sky epg makes the selling of the epg slot 191 very valuable to them. With all the channels in the entertainment section today irish tv have a very good epg slot so if they decide to sell it on to another broadcaster it would bring them in much needed funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It would probably lose them a lot of potential viewers = loss of potential advertisers' market = further spiral downwards.

• Advertisement

It would probably lose them a lot of potential viewers = lose of potential advertisers' market = further spiral downwards.
    yes it would more or less but the last nail in the coffin for them so they might aswell get as much money back before the axe finally falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

nothing new on the channel now. I presume all their sport output such as the FAI Junior cup is gone as well?

nothing new on the channel now. I presume all their sport output such as the FAI Junior cup is gone as well?
    I have a feeling whatever sport they had planned to broadcast is on hold until they find new backers

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Still on, it's in the schedule for Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Dindane wrote: »
    Still on, it's in the schedule for Saturday night.
    will be interesting to see if it actually appears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

will be interesting to see if it actually appears!

Meant to reply to this at the time, it did go out after all.

Fifth round being advertised at the moment.

RIP irish tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sentenced to death by High Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Sentenced to death by High Court.

Put out of its misery?? Even though it seemed doomed from day one it's sad to see it go. Especially for the staff who work there. It was a strange concept. Appealing to Irish people in Ireland and the diaspora on one channel could never work. A slimed down schedule of local sports and "regional" county matters with a nightly news program supplied by reports (audio for the most part) from the local radio stations suplimented by cheap film and old Irish or American tv programs might have found an audience. While it might never have made millions it might have covered its costs. Or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Liquidator appointed to oversee wind up of Irish TV http://jrnl.ie/3152183

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Loads of freelance workers (crew/presenters/editors) are owed money from this lot. They also underpaid nearly everyone that worked for them. Won't be sad to see them go.

I feel sad and disappointed to learn of Irish Tv winding down, I know it was't great but still it was a channel of information and warmed. It goes to show televisions stations cannot run on their own, I've said this before. UTVi failed, TG4 only propped by the state, TV3 couldn't stand on their own feet without big companies (VM) backing them, even RTE are finding it a struggle. What will the diaspora abroad think of this? they kicked up an awful row when RTE was switching off Long Wave radio. Do you think Enda Kenny will step in and save the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I feel sad and disappointed to learn of Irish Tv winding down

I don't, it was poorly planned and poorly executed rubbish. I would have hit the roof if they'd got licence fee funding.
    What will the diaspora abroad think of this?

How many of them knew or cared about it?
    In any case our emigrants are very widely dispersed (North America, Australasia, etc.) not just within handy reach of a UK or Western Europe Astra beam. The only practicable way to reach them (UK excepted) in any sort of cost-effective manner is the internet.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Irish TV gone from SKY platform this morning, 191 'channel unavailable'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Still broadcasting FTA

• Advertisement

RIP Irish TV

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

http://www.newstalk.com - 12/3/2017
    UK-based newspaper gets green light to buy Irish TV

A London-based newspaper has moved a step closer to acquiring the Irish Diaspora broadcaster, Irish TV.

The TV station was placed into liquidation last December, after efforts to secure investment failed.

However it continues to broadcast a mix of Irish lifestyle, sport and entertainment programming.

Last month, The Irish Post - which says it is the biggest-selling national newspaper for the Irish in Britain - agreed to purchase Irish TV.

The paper says the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission has cleared the proposed acquisition.

However it still needs to be approved by Communications Minister Denis Naughten.

The move will see The Irish Post acquire the Irish TV brand, business databases, website domains, social media and video content library.

It says this will give it "an important foothold in Ireland."

A spokesperson said: "We see a strong future for Irish TV and indeed The Irish Post on small screen platforms like Facebook and Instagram, which can be successful away from the traditional large screen broadcast networks.

"There is also the opportunity to supplement this by a return to Sky and other TV platforms."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Irish TV went off air last week. Perhaps it is while they negotiate a new carriage deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

The Irish post newspaper don't have the funds for television carriage.

Advertisement