Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV carriage on Saorview approved

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

2RN make no extra money from any TV channel joining Saorview. Their income for two muxes is fixed at €12m. The only difference if IrishTV join Saorview, is their fee gets spread out reducing the other channels fees - all depending on bandwidth used. Unused bandwidth is ignored.

If 2RN were concerned with quality and professionalism, do you think 3E, TV3 etc would ever have been allowed on?
    Yes because they provide choice. I agree with your point 2rn don't seem to giive a dam about professionalism and quality but I'm sure the majority of people that have Saorview don't care about quality and professionalism either just an extra channel and choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Irish TV Blog of the 20th September:-
    "THANK YOU TO THE IRISH INDEPENDENT FOR THEIR ON-THE-BALL REPORTING OF OUR EXCITING SAORVIEW LAUNCH NEWS.

We are now talking in terms of weeks – no longer months. Excitingly nerve-wracking!"

Weeks I assume is 4 or less...i.e anything more than that is in terms of months!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

It will cost 1million per year on saorview and 400,000 euro on Astra 28.2, so I think we can forget about it.

Any sign of Irish TV coming to Saorview? or is it all up in the air or one big joke.

It looks like more wishful thinking on the part of irish tv. I said it numerous times before and I'll say it again until it actually appears on our screen I won't be holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have it on Freesat and have never been tempted to look at it so I reckon you're not missing much.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Have it on Freesat and have never been tempted to look at it so I reckon you're not missing much.
    I agree the content isn't great but yoy have to remember irish tv is aimed at the thousands of irish people living outside Ireland and who can keep up to date on events happening at home. I give them great credit for that because or national broadcaster and the goverment don't seem to give a dam about the people living outside the island of Ireland.

Ye are right at the end of the day, its really for the expatriates, we can get it anyway, a bit like Long Wave to a degree.

I agree the content isn't great but yoy have to remember irish tv is aimed at the thousands of irish people living outside Ireland and who can keep up to date on events happening at home.

Exactly, so why spend money putting it on Saorview?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's the €3 million question.

• Advertisement

Because Saorview has an audience of aroud six hundred thousand plus which for irish tv would be great if they could take a percentage of that adverstising market. Also alot of older viewers would most likely tune in. So surely they would make a small profit back over time or possible break even.

How much audience could a channel like that get realistically on Saorview? With Nationwide clones for each county you would be looking at a few hundred for each show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

lertsnim wrote: »
    How much audience could a channel like that get realistically on Saorview? With Nationwide clones for each county you would be looking at a few hundred for each show.

It will not work in Ireland. The carriage costs are far too high versus the share they would get. Its too niche.

Now the US.... different story. I am guessing the costs are far too high there, but that should be their market.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sticking it live on Youtube would be the best low risk option for it, very little costs and they can see what the audience is, should be a far better income from advertising too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

A poor channel that really should be to highlight Ireland to potential holidaymakers from abroad on 28e & say 13e.

On the whole nobody will view this on terrestrial here imo. It's a pile of dung imho.

For me I think the people living outside of ireland might be happy with the content as there is no other broadcaster supplying much irish content. I know if I was living abroad I would be delighted to have the channel. As for launching on Saorview I think we are talking about trying to show content that would suit both home and away audiences the question must be how do irish tv and it's backer get both markets to work advertising wise and to start making a profit.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Now we know where it may have gone wrong, just wonder if they'll be able to keep it going at all. If they had to run it on Saorview it will require lots of advertising revenue just like TV3 with ads every 10 minutes, no pleasure viewing at all.

Feel sorry for the staff no doubth redundancies will soon follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭irishgeo

marno21 wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/car-tycoon-griffin-sinks-3m-more-into-irish-tv-30953462.html

The venture is to be exclusively funded by Mr Griffin, who Mr O'Reilly says is the firm's only investor.

Mr Griffin said that he was happy to fund the expansion, saying: that while he did not want to spend money unnecessarily "Whatever it takes to make Irish TV work, I will supply."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Them coming to Saorview would have finished them even quicker, it would never had brought in the advertising income to even sustain the transmission fees.

irishgeo wrote: »
    From a buisness point of view it makes sense to pull the plug. None is going to keep punping their own money into a sinking ship. I hope someone will step in and try and save it if only for those people living outside Ireland and the people who may loose their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

marno21 wrote: »

No, lots of bad blood there!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

A report in the Business section of todays Sunday Times say accountants KPMG have been retained to evaluate options.....a number of corporate finance houses have been sounded out about funding the business and restructuring the shareholder base......article refers to a report that Saorview required a €3 million bond to carry the channel on top of the €1 million a year transmission fee....and that it does not receive a share of the licence fee.

Plenty of expenses and almost no income - only a fool would 'invest' into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yep, it was going to fail sooner or later. Now it looks like Saorview were right to be looking for a bond of sorts (although €3m is a bit steep!). Then again it seems Irish TV themselves were delusional about Saorview in the first place - that's not even where their target audience is at all.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Yep, it was going to fail sooner or later. Now it looks like Saorview were right to be looking for a bond of sorts (although €3m is a bit steep!). Then again it seems Irish TV themselves were delusional about Saorview in the first place - that's not even where their target audience is at all.
    Unfortunately irish tv had big plans but the financial well dried up and the filow of money went down the swanny.

Unfortunately irish tv had big plans but the financial well dried up and the filow of money went down the swanny.

Big plans or you could say they were in lala land.

For any TV Channel to be some way successful in Ireland it needs good advertising revenue and a license fee.
    TV3 cannot support itself without the backing of VM, the same apply to TG4 who get state funds, and RTE are only barely scraping by. It costs an arm and a leg to run anything.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    Big plans or you could say they were in lala land.
    I Wouln'd say they were in lala land. One guy I think hhis name was Pierce O Reilly had an idea of creating a channel for people living outside ireland and followed it through by getting some one to put their trust in him so much that they invested financially. Seems that both O'Reilly and his backer had great confidence that the project would do what they had hoped it would but unfortunately it all seems to have gone belly up.

Advertisement