Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV carriage on Saorview approved

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DamnLeech

I'd be surprised if it ever launches but if it does, it will add zero to Saorview.

How would you make saorview better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

DamnLeech wrote: »

I'd move it to a country with sufficient population to make commercial FTA tv a viable proposition.

Admittedly, there would be a downside in that none of us would get to watch it but there'd be some killer stuff on it.

In the meantime, I guess we accept it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Better resolution for non HD channels would be a start.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Better resolution for non HD channels would be a start.

It's possible TG4 HD might launch on saorview, tv3 HD on the other hand NEVER
    TV3 is just greedy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

By getting rid of the bureaucrats who strangled it from birth by placing all kinds of ridiculous restrictions on it to promote competition and fairness. Result, the competition does the barest minimum it can to get it's licence. Meanwhile RTÉ, "for fairness", is expected to run two channels without advertising revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Couple of things I would do.
      Saorview should encourage / insist all channels to broadcast in HD (1080 x 1920) where possible. Not even RTE broadcast at this quality on Saorview. The cost of carriage should be the same for HD and SD. Charging on bit-rate has driven the broadcast quality down to very poor levels.
      RTE should look at introducing an RTE 3 channel. They have the rights to a good number of quality (well maybe not quality - but popular) US shows that are shown at crazy hours or if on primetime they can get bumped for football on an all too regular frequency.
      There are a number of UK FTA (either on FreeView or FreeSat) that have Irish opt out advertising versions on Sky. For example there are Irish versions of all (or most) of the Channel 4 family of channels. I think Dave also has Irish adverts. Saorview should do a deal with these type of channels to get them onto the platform. Even one commercial MUX would be a huge improvement and it would also allow commercial radio to be available on Saorview. The cost of carriage on the commercial MUX should be made as attractive as possible. Once content begins to appear the platform would instantly become more attractive to consumers and broadcasters alike.

ShaneOC wrote: »
    • RTE should look at introducing an RTE 3 channel. They have the rights to a good number of quality (well maybe not quality - but popular) US shows that are shown at crazy hours or if on primetime they can get bumped for football on an all too regular frequency.

RTÉ wanted to but TV3 called foul.

Couple of things I would do.
      Saorview should encourage / insist all channels to broadcast in HD (1080 x 1920) where possible. Not even RTE broadcast at this quality on Saorview. The cost of carriage should be the same for HD and SD. Charging on bit-rate has driven the broadcast quality down to very poor levels.
      RTE should look at introducing an RTE 3 channel. They have the rights to a good number of quality (well maybe not quality - but popular) US shows that are shown at crazy hours or if on primetime they can get bumped for football on an all too regular frequency.
      There are a number of UK FTA (either on FreeView or FreeSat) that have Irish opt out advertising versions on Sky. For example there are Irish versions of all (or most) of the Channel 4 family of channels. I think Dave also has Irish adverts. Saorview should do a deal with these type of channels to get them onto the platform. Even one commercial MUX would be a huge improvement and it would also allow commercial radio to be available on Saorview. The cost of carriage on the commercial MUX should be made as attractive as possible. Once content begins to appear the platform would instantly become more attractive to consumers and broadcasters alike.

Channel 4 is great channel and should be on saorview, you are right about the tv show rights if they made another channel That would be great and they also have right to show champions league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Has Saorview or irish tv actually said that the channel will launch this Saorview or is it just wishful thinking on a lot of our behalves?

Has Saorview or irish tv actually said that the channel will launch this Saorview or is it just wishful thinking on a lot of our behalves?

I just read this on this forum can anyone post any links?
    To any PROOF?

• Advertisement

To any PROOF?
    I'm tne same. I emailed irish tv yesterday and all they said was thank you for your email and watching irish tv. Not looking good going by that reply..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Other than the name "RTÉ 3" I'm not sure what TV3 could be complaining about.

Dreaming of thew day when we see the following TV line up on Saorview :D

RTÉ One HD
    RTÉ Two HD
    TV3 HD
    TG4 HD
    3e HD
    UTV Ireland HD
    Irish TV HD
    RTÉ Three HD
    RTÉ Jnr HD
    Channel 4 HD
    E4 HD
    More 4 HD
    4 Seven HD
    Film 4 HD
    Dave HD
    RTÉ One +1 HD
    RTÉ News Now HD
    Oireachtas TV HD

RTÉ One HD
    RTÉ Two HD
    TV3 HD
    TG4 HD
    3e HD
    UTV Ireland HD
    Irish TV HD
    RTÉ Three HD
    RTÉ Jnr HD
    Channel 4 HD
    E4 HD
    More 4 HD
    4 Seven HD
    Film 4 HD
    Dave HD
    RTÉ One +1 HD
    RTÉ News Now HD
    Oireachtas TV HD

Oh that looks amazing
    If they use 4 multiplexes with DVB-T2 they might fit them all

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

RTÉ One HD
    RTÉ Two HD
    TV3 HD
    TG4 HD
    3e HD
    UTV Ireland HD
    Irish TV HD
    RTÉ Three HD
    RTÉ Jnr HD
    Channel 4 HD
    E4 HD
    More 4 HD
    4 Seven HD
    Film 4 HD
    Dave HD
    RTÉ One +1 HD
    RTÉ News Now HD
    Oireachtas TV HD

BBC channels would be welcome too, but won't happen. What about Sky News & Pick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Channel 4 is great channel and should be on saorview, you are right about the tv show rights if they made another channel That would be great and they also have right to show champions league.

???

I'm sorry but people have completely unrealistic ideas of what is possible for Saorview.

BBC channels would be welcome too, but won't happen. What about Sky News & Pick?

BBC Channels are very unlikely to come

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

They sure did. But now would it be possible seeing as TV3 group under Virgin ownership are looking for permission to buy UTV Ireland, for RTÉ to make a bid for its RTÉ 3 as proposed. Could RTÉ "call foul" on the UTV Ireland takeover and maybe get some concessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Late Night Poker HD
    Late Night Poker+1
    Shopping Channel 1
    Shopping Channel 1 +1
    Shopping Channel 2
    Shopping Channel 2 +1
    Shopping Channel 3
    Shopping Channel 3 +1
    Bang Babes 1
    Bang Babes 2
    Bang Babes 3

:D

mikeecho wrote: »
    Late Night Poker HD
    Late Night Poker+1
    Shopping Channel 1
    Shopping Channel 1 +1
    Shopping Channel 2
    Shopping Channel 2 +1
    Shopping Channel 3
    Shopping Channel 3 +1
    Bang Babes 1
    Bang Babes 2
    Bang Babes 3

:D

Don't forget Bang Babes Red Button
    They need to fix series link as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Don't forget Bang Babes Red Button

i dont they'll be allowed show a red button in ireland.. let alone a brown button

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote: »
    i dont they'll be allowed show a red button in ireland.. let alone a brown button

I hate this country I might move up north for freeview :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

To any PROOF?

Post #6 in this thread.

On the 4th March, Irish TV submitted a request to the Minister for Communications, for designation of the Irish TV television service under section 130(1)(a)(iv) of the Broadcasting Act 2009. That section of the act applies to TV services that wish to be carried on a Saorview mux.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Here are some ideas :
    BBC World Service HD
    QVC HD
    RTE 3 HD
    Viva Ireland Music Tv
    Landscape Channel HD

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭mike2084

I'm tne same. I emailed irish tv yesterday and all they said was thank you for your email and watching irish tv. Not looking good going by that reply..

This is where it was announced, content behind a paywall unfortunately. It did say September I think as I actually read that article in print.

http://www.businesspost.ie/big-boost-for-mayo-based-irish-tv-station-as-saorview-deal-extends-its-reach/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mike2084 wrote: »
    This is where it was announced, content behind a paywall unfortunately. It did say September I think as I actually read that article in print.

It did say Sept, I started this thread after I read the article.

If it's going to launch September I wonder when will it start testing or will it just appear?

If it's going to launch September I wonder when will it start testing or will it just appear?

Probally will use one of the test card channels.

Probally will use one of the test card channels.
    Surely 2rn will ccarry out tests a couple of weeks before launch.day or maybe it will just appear on launch date when and if it's ever announced.

They've test cards running all the time. All they need is the correct feed to switch over. They can check the feed quality for themselves without putting it live.

• Advertisement

So no real confirmation from either party about the channel launching. Looks like a bit of a damp squip at this stage.

Advertisement