Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV carriage on Saorview approved

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I've never seen any testing on saorview for Irish TV, as I always watch out for these things. Will it launch on Saorsat? they have a test card channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I've never seen any testing on saorview for Irish TV, as I always watch out for these things. Will it launch on Saorsat? they have a test card channel.
    It's already on 28° so no point really on Saorsat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I signed up to Saorview for a Saorview id account for news and information about the platform and I haven't seen or read a thing on their website about irsh tv launching on Saorview. Irish tv have a habit of putting these stories out every couple of months so until I see the channel on my tv I won't be holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DamnLeech

I think they are testing in saorview as one of their test channels channels are gone.
    This channel may be now encrypted or just acceptable with the pid code

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

LCN 17 went off-air on the night of 21st Sept last, nothing carried since according to the official bitrate data - http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=PSB-MUX-2&pid=2117&live=15&sec=0&lang=en

There appears to have been some activity on the channel in the early hours of that morning 0300-0600 approx., testing?

• Advertisement

Can anyone check this channel at 03:00-06:00 and maybe get a picture?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

so what will this channel consist of?

wall to wall glenroe repeats??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

DamnLeech wrote: »
    Can anyone check this channel at 03:00-06:00 and maybe get a picture?

That test channel has been off air since the 21st.

The trouble is Broadcasters /2rn will tell you nothing until we see it in front of our eyes, with us its guessing games.

The trouble is Broadcasters /2rn will tell you nothing until we see it in front of our eyes, with us its guessing games.
    I Can't understand the secrecy behind the launch of a channel by 2rn especially if the deal has been done. Also LCN 12 and 15 have no epg info so total confusing as usual.

• Advertisement

I Can't understand the secrecy behind the launch of a channel by 2rn especially if the deal has been done. Also LCN 12 and 15 have no epg info so total confusing as usual.

LNC 12 14hd 15 and another spare sd ch. Bang them together an bring us TV3 HD and TG4 HD and stop wrecking our heads is what I'd say to the boys in charge. I'd nearly do a better job myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Every thing 2RN have done (including their former guise of RTENL) has been subject to total secrecy.

You would not believe they are in the communications business unless I told you (but then I would have to shoot you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Ah come on. 2RN can't announce the launch of someone else's channel.

Ah come on. 2RN can't announce the launch of someone else's channel.
    Why not if the deal is done and both parties are happy I can't understand why irish tv would announce thwy are launching on Saorview and there is not as much as a word from Saorview/2rn.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Christmas Box !

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Christmas Box !
    Yeah but which Christmas? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Why not if the deal is done and both parties are happy I can't understand why irish tv would announce thwy are launching on Saorview and there is not as much as a word from Saorview/2rn.

We don't know if the deal is done, but this is commercially sensitive information, and either way Irish TV will want to make a big deal out of their launch (if it ever happens), they wouldn't want anyone else stealing their thunder.

No sign of Irish TV anywhere or any word at all.
    Must be all up in the air stuff, teasing us as usual.

No sign of Irish TV anywhere or any word at all.
    Must be all up in the air stuff, teasing us as usual.
    I might be way off the mark here I wonder do 2rn think the channel isn't professional enough. Like I watced most of the ploughing championship s and to be honest the live broadcast was very unprofessional.When they would go to an add break they would flick back to the studio and you would see one of the reporters fixing their hair and the sound from the ads in the backround. Also when the presenter would say lets go live to such a reporter out in the gound they would show a clip from the day before a couple of times and then the presenter would say that was for example mary live out on the ground. I think first of all thay need some sort of studio where they could run maybe a ten minute news bulletin with sports headlines and maybe some graphics for weather reports. Again maybe a samall studio that would hold a small audience for live broadcasts. And finally maybe they could do some sort of deal to show some irish movies that don't seem to be getting much air play on RTE,TV3,TG4, 3e or UTV Ireland. some great material out there.

I might be way off the mark here I wonder do 2rn think the channel isn't professional enough. Like I watced most of the ploughing championship s and to be honest the live broadcast was very unprofessional.When they would go to an add break they would flick back to the studio and you would see one of the reporters fixing their hair and the sound from the ads in the backround. Also when the presenter would say lets go live to such a reporter out in the gound they would show a clip from the day before a couple of times and then the presenter would say that was for example mary live out on the ground. I think first of all thay need some sort of studio where they could run maybe a ten minute news bulletin with sports headlines and maybe some graphics for weather reports. Again maybe a samall studio that would hold a small audience for live broadcasts. And finally maybe they could do some sort of deal to show some irish movies that don't seem to be getting much air play on RTE,TV3,TG4, 3e or UTV Ireland. some great material out there.

Weather its good or trash you would imagine 2rn be happy with 1 million extra per year

• Advertisement

Weather its good or trash you would imagine 2rn be happy with 1 million extra per year
    2rn don't seem to be in any hurry for some strange reason to make 1 million per year.Like I said in my previous post maybe 2rn feel it needs to be more professional and feels it won't last so they are not going to take any financial risk.

LCN 17is now switched back on with philips test card and audio for rnag. It also is showing epg info the same as the other 3 test channels. I have never seen epg info on LCN 17 before when it was switched on. Most likely won't mean anything but thought I would mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

LCN 17is now switched back on with philips test card and audio for rnag. It also is showing epg info the same as the other 3 test channels. I have never seen epg info on LCN 17 before when it was switched on. Most likely won't mean anything but thought I would mention it.

I was just going to put up the same information . Maybe we might be about to see movement.

brick man wrote: »
    I was just going to put up the same information . Maybe we might be about to see movement.
    Maybe but won't be holding my breath.

Its hard to belive we are looking at 3 test card channels for the last 3 years, nothing short of Disgraceful, In 3 more years it could be the same story. Why don't they put TV3 and TG4 in HD at least, even if Irish TV don't arrive.

Its hard to belive we are looking at 3 test card channels for the last 3 years, nothing short of Disgraceful, In 3 more years it could be the same story. Why don't they put TV3 and TG4 in HD at least, even if Irish TV don't arrive.
    It's good Irish logic to waste money showing test cards rather than upping the quality of their half-HD existing channels. Don't tell me it's because of the extra cost for the bandwidth. Chances are the 2RN accountant's office is next door to the RTÉ one. Either way it's our licence fees paying.

I'm going to give on saorview, anyway sooner or later UTV Ireland will pull out.
    I have a nice new Humax Freesat box :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Boggy

There have only been 2 SD test channels for some time not 3. For a while LCN 12 and 17 were the same channels as both were sharing the same video and audio pids (audio was Lyric FM). Now 12 and 15 are sharing and 17 has its own video and audio pids. Could mean testing for Irish TV is starting on LCN 17 soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

2rn don't seem to be in any hurry for some strange reason to make 1 million per year.Like I said in my previous post maybe 2rn feel it needs to be more professional and feels it won't last so they are not going to take any financial risk.

2RN make no extra money from any TV channel joining Saorview. Their income for two muxes is fixed at €12m. The only difference if IrishTV join Saorview, is their fee gets spread out reducing the other channels fees - all depending on bandwidth used. Unused bandwidth is ignored.

If 2RN were concerned with quality and professionalism, do you think 3E, TV3 etc would ever have been allowed on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 padrat

Can't see it happening.

This time last year they said they were negotiating to get on Netflix. As someone else said, there are regular headline-grabbing announcements like this from Irish TV every 6 months - that have no substance to them at all and seem to fizzle out.

From the start they were trying to get on Saorview but didn't meet requirements - and there have been a few false announcements about it since, as in, announcing it without anything confirmed, similar to the Netflix "deal" that was announced in 2015.

If it does happen, fair play to them but I can't see how they would cover the costs. Ad Spot Rates, which you can get on request from their sales team, are low - and would come nowhere near to covering a portion of the Saorview cost, nevermind what I imagine are their current running costs! I'd say the financial backing is what's keeping them on air, but be interesting to see what happens when this runs out.

They do provide jobs in the area and in offices around the country - can't see it being the 150 new jobs announced last year (another headline grabber!) for this it would be a shame if they go the way of Tara TV/Bubble TV/*insert tv startup name here*

Advertisement