Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generation Snowflake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I made a dyslexic joke in work and nearly got a written warning...I myself am dyslexic and it was a harmless joke...the world is an odd place...we should be more worried about deforrestation, melting ice caps and getting populations under control in India, China and the developing world...

Tell me about it... I made one to a acquaintance (freinds freind) about a book I'd read on Stockholm Syndrome. The first few chapters were awful but by the end I loved it :o

She went on a massive rant about how vile I was, how offensive it was to people who'd been kidnapped and how people like me were keeping this world the way it was!

Now, I'll keep humour in the face of nearly any hardship, that's just what I do. But I was having a particularly nasty week on the aul finances front and she caught me off guard. The response:

I'm keeping the world the way it is?
    The CEO of the company that made that bar halfway down your throat genuinely believes water is not a human right, the clothes you're wearing were probably made by child labourers younger than your son before a factory collapse delivered them from their misery and about half the money you spend on petrol goes to countries who would immediately execute at least half of your Facebook freinds so please **** off if you really believe I'M the problem in all this."

Didn't really enamour her to me if I'm honest.. In fact I'm certain that was the last time we spoke..
    My freind still bloody laughs at me over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

ScumLord wrote: »
    Like generation snowflake is going to put up their parents. That's not the way the trend is going. Assume you'll be abandoned in a home.

Really though, we're all headed towards nursing homes eventually. People are living so long that it will no longer be possible to provide the standard of care expected in our own homes.

Also, hasn't this "generation snowflake" term has been shot so full of holes by now that we can stop using it, no?

Prove it.

Out of curiosity I just dug out the scale and a hand held mirror. 10 pounds 4 ounces.
    Jesus Christ my head weighs more than most babies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Out of curiosity I just dug out the scale and a hand held mirror. 10 pounds 4 ounces.

Small turkey though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Also, hasn't this "generation snowflake" term has been shot so full of holes by now that we can stop using it, no?
    It's growing on me now, I think I'll use it all the time, my nephew hates it so I can't stop calling him that now.
    You can't just rest your head on a scales, the rest of your body will throw the results. You need to measure the head separately.

• Advertisement

It's growing on me now, I think I'll use it all the time, my nephew hates it so I can't stop calling him that now.

You can't just rest your head on a scales, the rest of your body will throw the results. You need to measure the head separately.

True.... Right. Get a boyfriend. Head to Saudi Arabia. Gotcha.
    I suppose Ryanair wouldn't charge too much for the scales..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

py2006 wrote: »
    Apparently we are all to be offended by Adele at Glastonbury yesterday.

I'm offended you didn't post sooner, I'll now have to spend the rest of today being doubly offended to make up for the lack of offensiveness I had yesterday, I don't know what was involved but I'm offended or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

will your head fit on as hand luggage ?

BBDBB wrote: »
    will your head fit on as hand luggage ?

I believe you can fit 8 of them in a duffel bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think there's a way of working it out based on the volume of the head. Dunk someone head in a bucket of water and measure something. Then, convert it using maths, and hey presto... What were we talking about again?

• Advertisement

I think there's a way of working it out based on the volume of the head. Dunk someone head in a bucket of water and measure something. Then, convert it using maths, and hey presto... What were we talking about again?

Er... Not sure. Polar weather?

I think you lot are taking giving head way too literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Like generation snowflake is going to put up their parents. That's not the way the trend is going. Assume you'll be abandoned in a home.

No way, I would never do that to my parents...

...homes are way to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I made a dyslexic joke in work and nearly got a written warning...I myself am dyslexic and it was a harmless joke...the world is an odd place...we should be more worried about deforrestation, melting ice caps and getting populations under control in India, China and the developing world...

Did they decide to give you a verbal warning instead?

You know, because of the dyslexia.

Maireadio wrote: »
    A quick overview of the best known architects of the 20th century tells me nearly ALL of them studied architecture formally, mostly to degree and graduate degree level - including Le Corbusier. And if not architecture then engineering. So, pretty much all the big names.
    Depends what you mean by big names. The likes of Gehry, Pei and Aalto may have studied architecture, but the really big names that have entered popular consciousness and transcended their field... Le Corbusier, Frank Lloyd Wright, and van der Rohe, studied other disciplines, or didn't go to university at all.

Le Corbusier studied enameling & engraving. Van der Rohe carved stones as an apprentice. FL Wright studied engineering, but dropped out of college. So, too, did Louis Sullivan.

My point is simple: studying for a degree doesn't hurt you, necessarily. But neither is it a requirement for competence.

Does Bill Gates even have an undergraduate degree? I don't think he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Maybe the song was using the median, not the mean?

Does Bill Gates even have an undergraduate degree? I don't think he does.

Gates dropped out of his Harvard course because he found it too easy. If I recall he was taking additional classes outside his own and still passing very thing. So yes, he dropped out, but he clearly had a huge academic bent.

Maybe the song was using the median, not the mean?

Isn't the song sampling a documentary so it is wrong by proxy more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Don't be ridiculous, there's no need to cut off your head to find out how much it weighs.

What you need to do is weigh yourself, head and body together.

Then cut off your body, weigh that separately and subtract.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Gates dropped out of his Harvard course because he found it too easy. If I recall he was taking additional classes outside his own and still passing very thing. So yes, he dropped out, but he clearly had a huge academic bent.
    Ok... interesting but totally irrelevant to the point I'm answering, which was, "show me their third-level qualifications in X, otherwise their opinion means squat"

Of course geniuses emerge from Harvard, of course geniuses drop-out of Harvard; the point is that a theory can only stand on its own intellectual merit, and not that of its author's CV.

• Advertisement

Ok... interesting but totally irrelevant to the point I'm answering, which was, "show me their third-level qualifications in X, otherwise their opinion means squat"

Of course geniuses emerge from Harvard, of course geniuses drop-out of Harvard; the point is that a theory can only stand on its own intellectual merit, and not that of its author's CV.

I don't think anyone said that a non academic's opinion means squat. I believe what was said was if the author was not an academic then the poster would be "meh" on reading it.

But you might choose better examples to illustrate your point! :)

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I don't think anyone said that a non academic's opinion means squat. I believe what was said was if the author was not an academic then the poster would be "meh" on reading it.
    Nope.

Relevant qualifications, not an academic.

So swap the term relevant qualifications for academic in my post then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

I'm actually waiting for that book to be delivered at the moment, really looking forward to reading it.

The so called "generation snowflake" seems to be a sub set of the current 18-25 year olds. I have lived with one (thankfully not any more), and I must say it was like living with a child throwing toys out of the pram anything she was under stress, or she came across something that didn't up to her ultra high PC standards.

Once she lost the plot with me for calling one of my mates a "big girls blouse" when he ran away from a wasp. Apparently the biggest insult I could have given him (a man) was calling him a woman. She wasn't too happy when I told her to man up! :D

I know what you mean, one of my mates gets strange looks when he brings his daughter to the play ground. he lets her off, and he sits there until she is finished.

I hope you told her to walk away while she / he still could. That was your friend not hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Fleawuss wrote: »
    It will be great when all this hard older generation are dependent on the working younger generations for their health care and pensions: the snowflakes can then say that ye are so hard ye don't need pensions and such. Do without. Harden the **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Not even kidding, a publisher redid them with Aunt Fanny as Frannie and Dick as Rick.

Was not impressed by that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Samaris wrote: »
    Sure, one can argue that one can only take offence, not give it. But
    That's a bullsh-t line anyway (not saying you are endorsing it, just quoting it from you) designed to take away responsibility and transfer it to the person on the receiving end. Of course people can take offence involuntarily. It's just that some people take offence at stuff that could not be offensive if it tried, and sometimes people actually look for offence and make sh-t up to get offended by, so that is certainly not involuntary.

But if someone says something really vicious like, I dunno... "Glad your parent died - you deserve it" or "You deserve to be raped"... it is obviously not "snowflakey" to get offended by the likes of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Depends what you mean by big names. The likes of Gehry, Pei and Aalto may have studied architecture, but the really big names that have entered popular consciousness and transcended their field... Le Corbusier, Frank Lloyd Wright, and van der Rohe, studied other disciplines, or didn't go to university at all.

Changing the goalposts. :D

Frank Lloyd Wright left college without a degree but still studied engineering and architecture at university for a few years. Would he have become an architect without this study?

Le Corbusier also studied architecture and visual arts (also important for architects) formally at the La-Chaux-de-Fonds Art School. Again, doesn't seem to have got a degree but to say he didn't study it is disingenuous.

Gropius, again, studied architecture for two or three years at university.

There's a pattern here. Maybe because so few people went to university then, it wasn't that important to earn the letters after your name once you got good training in the field and made some valuble contacts. But study the fields, they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

pone2012 wrote: »
    aww, did that offend you snowflake?:o

Lol, are you offended he is offended?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

It's not really, what people can't do is ignore their darling 18 year old child when they say "but everyone else is doing it". I don't think there's any parent meetup where they go over all the things that the children should expect to get. It's all coming from the children themselves.

Parents can be as cruel as they want when it comes to buying stuff for their children. It's not like they'll leave their parents.
    Do you have children yourself? I know it's annoying when people say "You're not a parent" - if being a parent is not required to understand what is being referred to... however there are times that, yes of course a person cannot fully appreciate something unless they are actually a parent - and I think what you are referring to is a perfect example.

It is very easy to say "I won't cave into my child feeling left out when all the other kids have more expensive stuff" but not as easy when actually in that situation. My mother was quite strict and well able to say no most of the time when we were kids but even she felt under pressure just to relent at times.

Children in the situation in question are not all 18 by the way - usually they are a lot younger. :)

Advertisement