Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generation Snowflake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

And so the pendulum starts to swing back the other way, by the year 2056 The works Bernard Manning will be required reading for schools

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I dunno, for someone that's 20 years old and in college I think you can still pull that adult up for throwing a strop because they're unable to appropriately deal with a piece of literature, especially one that's used in an academic environment.

Otherwise you're removing the responsibility from them to deal with things beyond their own emotions, allowing their "victimisation" to be encouraged and bleed unchecked onto other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I agree with Fizzlesticks. Often people get offended on behalf of others who actually don't have any problem with the way someone has spoken or acted.
    Some people just love showing off their PC credentials, even when they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

And people get offended on behalf of others who don't have a problem with how they were treated because they have been broken by years of abuse and mistreatment. And sometimes they don't realise how much they have been dominated by bullying abuse. It's called solidarity.

There is Pc madness out there. But there is also the truth that until someone, someone says "you're not treating me that way anymore" and throws a punch or a chair or "calls them out" things will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RWCNT wrote: »
    Where the **** did this "Snowflake" term grow from?

Notice terms like 'snowflake' and 'salty' have become popular lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People now have 1 or 2 kids, instead of 3 or 4 ,in the 70,s ,80s,
    so their kids may be a bit spoiled .
    teens now are digital natives ,
    they grow up using facebook, youtube, etc
    When i was growing up if you got a job you,d probably have it for life.
    i never heard of interns , you either got paid a full wage or you were on the dole .
    People wait a lot longer to get married .
    i,m in favour of equal rights and womens rights .
    Someone gets triggered by reading hamlet,?
    look at tv every night ,in crime drama,s theres loads of violence .
    Maybe the present generation is more aware of their rights .
    When i grew up shops did not sell condoms ,
    contraception was hard to get,
    maybe thats the reason why people had large familys . Teens face of world of uncertainty ,unless you are in the civil service theres no gaurantee of a gauranteed job,
    many jobs are being replaced by automation .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Oh look another thread of people in a rush to be outraged by people in a rush to be outraged.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And after "snowflake" the fun really starts with the generation that grew up winning participation trophies.

Couldn't disagree more.

Auguste Comte, the father of sociology, dropped out of university with no qualifications.

It's the same in many fields of the social sciences and the arts. How many of the great architects of the 20th century had architecture degrees? None of the big names, as far as I am aware. I believe Le Corbusier started his career as a watchmaker.

That's another problem with Generation Snowflake: the notion that a university degree entitles its bearer to respect and authority. No, your ideas rely on their own intellectual rigour, and not on the amount of alphabetic characters you attach to your name.

I did not limit my enquiry to university degrees at all.

That's another problem with Generation Snowflake. Missing the point and rushing to conclusions. And then overstating them by firing in references to architects and intellectual rigour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Fleawuss wrote: »
    And people get offended on behalf of others who don't have a problem with how they were treated because they have been broken by years of abuse and mistreatment. And sometimes they don't realise how much they have been dominated by bullying abuse. It's called solidarity.

There is Pc madness out there. But there is also the truth that until someone, someone says "you're not treating me that way anymore" and throws a punch or a chair or "calls them out" things will never change.

I could probably get behind a lot of that concept if the current crop weren't themselves full of bullying hypocrites who often want to silence anyone who isn't attuned to their personal dogma, preferring echo chambers to evidence based debate and routinely touting poor or discredited research.

Basically as bad as the other lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

It began when one homo-erectus said ook and the other one didn't like the way they said it.

IMO we're all inclined to think this way about others and it's nothing to do with generations, it just easier to blame other generations (or whatever) because the more different they are the less it gets reflected back on ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I remember when I was in college the (then) LGB society had countless meetings about adding a T and then more meetings about adding a Q, people spending hours on end (more hours than they spent in lectures some of them) being offended by the various suggestions and arguments for and against a fúcking letter. The T was fairly non-controversial, but the Q caused outrage, with half the people arguing it was a derogatory term, and the other half shouting about "owning" the term and thus detracting from its derogatory effect. FFS. How cute and protected we were within the capsule of third level safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

When will she be releasing 'Generation Cuck' and 'Generation SWJ'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

molly-coddled generation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

There are certainly more people willing to be offended by less and less, but it's a bit harsh to imply it's a whole generation, as this term does. It's like those other generational labels (Baby Boomers, Generation X) which I don't understand, largely because implying everyone in a whole generation shares traits is extremely lazy science. They might have more of a tendency towards certain attitudes, or, on average, show more of a certain attitude if you had a valid tool to measure it, but it loses all validity when you use the shorthand of labelling people as "Generation {insert title}"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I recently started reading a book called "cotton wool kids" and in one of the first chapters the author points out that in our quest to protect our kids we do them more damage. Eg. Too dangerous to play outside unsupervised so sit there and watch tv. Obesity related illness is much more of an issue than the chances of abduction but people prefer to take their chances with encouraging a sedentary life.

Another example on the opposite swing of the pendulum is how some parents endeavour to keep their child busy all te time. Rushing from school to sports to dancing to whatever. Child never gets bored, rarely has actual unstructured down time. Apparently this causes stress, starting from a very young age.

Parenting a young child, it's hard to know what to do. Things are so studied, there are recommendations for absolutely everything and I feel that many people have lost the ability to parent instinctively because they're so busy trying to do everything "right".

On the idea of "snowflakes", I think as usual there are extremes on both sides. Those who are "triggered" by every little thing and those who have not got a modicum of sensitivity and shout down or label anybody who they deem to be weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Yes you can. And I will. As someone born only a few years earlier.
    See it.
    Study it.
    Denounce it.
    And fight every single front someone attempts to force it upon you, tooth and nail.

But the majority won't, because it's easier to be mollycoddled, perpetually offended and outraged at everything. Because everyone else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭WildWater

There are certainly more people willing to be offended by less and less, but it's a bit harsh to imply it's a whole generation, as this term does. It's like those other generational labels (Baby Boomers, Generation X) which I don't understand, largely because implying everyone in a whole generation shares traits is extremely lazy science. They might have more of a tendency towards certain attitudes, or, on average, show more of a certain attitude if you had a valid tool to measure it, but it loses all validity when you use the shorthand of labelling people as "Generation {insert title}"

You are right but what is at play here is not science but marketing. 'Generation Snowflake' is going to generate more air time (this thread for example) and hence move validity and potentially revenue than 'Some Young Adults Today are Snowflakes'. Even if only because the generalist title fulfils its design objectives and offends more people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I think there is a grain of truth to it alright but like everything else it gets blown out of proportion.

Do I get to push the big button though? It's so shiny!

Good flake usually has a shiny look of it,hard to find any that hasn't been danced on though,on the off chance you do find some,you'll pay through the nose for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

on the positive side most people are just quietly bypassing all this. when you see all the nuttery on US campuses its coming from groups of students who are by and large doing useless degrees plus these people have more avenues to be heard compared to 20 years ago because of social media and trashy internet journalism. Payback will be when these clowns with their $100K in student debt try to monitise their native American studies or gender studies degree. :pac:
    I get the sense that there is a bit of a turn a foot and it will soon be "cool" and edgy to take a stand against all this. Parents seem to be aware of the whole "helicopter parenting" thing and are trying to find ways to introduce a bit of freedom

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Yes you can. And I will. As someone born only a few years earlier.
    See it.
    Study it.
    Denounce it.
    And fight every single front someone attempts to force it upon you, tooth and nail.

But the majority won't, because it's easier to be mollycoddled, perpetually offended and outraged at everything. Because everyone else is.

It's easier to be perpetually offended and outraged? Easier than what? Your fighting of every single front someone attempts to force upon you, tooth and nail?

I really don't understand your attitude here at all. So you're OK to fight for your viewpoint but if someone else fights for theirs then they're mollycoddled, perpetually offended and outaraged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Oh look another thread of people in a rush to be outraged by people in a rush to be outraged.

Most of the posters on this thread sound a lot calmer than you.

RWCNT wrote: »
    It's easier to be perpetually offended and outraged? Easier than what? Your fighting of every single front someone attempts to force upon you, tooth and nail?

I really don't understand your attitude here at all. So you're OK to fight for your viewpoint but if someone else fights for theirs then they're mollycoddled, perpetually offended and outaraged?

Let me simplify it then.

It's easier to not give a damn about, say, that old club orange add, "some bits are important", than to be the type roaring down the phone about how offensive it is, and how it should be banned.

When someone tells me I should care more about what is frankly, total tripe, like that, I'll say bugger off.

Now! Strangely enough, when I'm told to bugger off, I do. They don't...
    They are simply not satiated unless you hold their opinions on everything.
    Me? I couldn't care less wether they held their views, mine, or anyone elses.
    So, the situation is generally a lot easier for me than it is for them.

Because they're getting control over how things should work, making the smallest minority, the biggest threat.
    But it's not just the trigger warning fighters, our generation seems to think it can "comfort" it's way to whatever it wants and it shouldn't have to endure prolonged, hardship and sacrifice to get it.

The sense of entitlement is appalling tbh. But any time I've said no one is entitled to anything, that you work for your place in the knowledge that yes, some people are born into theres and tough ****, I'm immediately public enemy number 1.

I reckon if I went to Israel, I'd unite the Palestinians and Israelis. Though I'd have to get out pretty quickly :D

It's a behaviour that's manifesting itself in the current college going generation, but was probably planted and nurtured by the previous generation who brought up these children.

The parents who were constantly rushing to their children's defence against all complaints, running down to the school to complain that little snowflake hadn't been given a speaking part in the school play, and refusing to tell their children to stand up for older people on public transport because 'they've just as much right to a seat...... etc etc.

They're a minority of parents but the consequences of their actions can have pretty widespread effects.

And the now middle aged private sector workers who sneered at badly paid public service jobs during the boom years, and then stamped their feet and pouted that it 'wasn't fair' when those jobs proved to be more secure when the downfall came.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This generation is certainly different. They've had a completely different upbringing and live in a very different environment. The problem is humans don't seem to recognise when they're the different ones. We always think our own perspective is normal and everyone else is weird.

That thread about the dog meat festival is a prime example. People in this country live completely sheltered lives, for the most part people's interactions with animals are through TV and films, whether that's cartoons or documentaries. The dog meat festival showed that people here think that dogs are cute pets and that's what's normal, they called people who can kill that particular animal sociopaths. But humans have been killing and butchering animals for probably more than 100,000 years, that's normal for humans. Irish people today would be bizarre to people from even 100 years ago. It's not just our technology but our way of thinking and how we perceive the world would be completely alien to people from just 100 years ago.

Animal cruelty, murder, abuse of the environment isn't inhumain. That's human behaviour. And it doesn't make us bad animal, we're exactly the animal nature created, we are born out of a system of violence.

So generation snowflake is definitely creating a new narrative for itself. I don't think previous generations got anything right, they were ignorant, violent people, I think our generation remains ignorant, but is certainly mollycoddled and we put way too much value on our own opinion despite our ignorance.

It won't last, within another 20 years there will probably be a new narrative, whether it's a byproduct of the bizarre future we're heading towards or a social movement away from being office workers.

• Advertisement

Advertisement