Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generation Snowflake

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

It is definitely a thing, moreso on the internet and in the U.S. (e.g. the "Don't use "him"/"her" as my pronoun" :rolleyes: :pac: stuff) but there is nothing wrong with getting bothered by stuff at times - I would not like every single instance of being insulted or whatever to be shot down with "Snowflake!"

It is completely normal to get offended or insulted at times (I mean things like verbal abuse) and anyone can get offended or insulted, including those who complain the most about special snowflakes. For starters, they are constantly getting annoyed by the generation snowflake stuff. :)

Also, as has already been said, I don't think hyper-sensitivity and victimhood culture is a new thing; I think it has been around since the late 1960s (and has permeated psychology and not been good for society; people can be given compassion but also need to be shown how to get on with things) but the internet magnifies it. There is a backlash against it now though, which is great - but I hope the pendulum does not swing too far the other way, where people will just be shouted down with "Man up" or "Suck it up" for absolutely everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

How many of the great architects of the 20th century had architecture degrees? None of the big names, as far as I am aware. I believe Le Corbusier started his career as a watchmaker.

A quick overview of the best known architects of the 20th century tells me nearly ALL of them studied architecture formally, mostly to degree and graduate degree level - including Le Corbusier. And if not architecture then engineering. So, pretty much all the big names.

I blame Tumblr for this more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Transgender and queer. Good guess on the Q though! :D

Queer.....

Isn't that the word Martin O'Neil came perilously close to being burned at the stake for using??

You couldn't make up this level of hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

You Monster! That's how Hitler started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

NiallBoo wrote: »
    It began when one homo-erectus said ook and the other one didn't like the way they said it.

IMO we're all inclined to think this way about others and it's nothing to do with generations, it just easier to blame other generations (or whatever) because the more different they are the less it gets reflected back on ourselves.

OMG! I can't believe you said "homo" and "erect". I need to go have a quiet lie down and compose myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

God ****ing dammit I want to tell the joke of why my doctor told me to stay away from Tumblr so badly but I can feel the heat of the ban hammers laser on the back of my fat head :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

While I agree, there is a point that generally the "bad guys" get their come-uppances, as part of the "happy ending". That's the author's voice somewhat coming out to give what s/he feels is the best conclusion. The ones where the bad guys win are generally tragedies!

It's where "good" characters espouse views that we don't agree with nowadays (like the example I mentioned, the offhand use by sympathetic characters of "n*gger") that the censors tend to get wound up. I think that in books where it's a very offhand usage by a sympathetic character and it in no way changes the story or the message, it's okay to replace it with a different term, but in a story that is meant to be a semi-faithful representation of a period, it shouldn't.*

I remember (only very vaguely) as a kid picking up one of these expressions from an otherwise perfectly innocent (albeit outdated) children's book. Might have been Chalet School, might have been Enid Blyton, who've both casually used n*gger at times, and using it, also perfectly innocently. It was messy. :D

*Although they can stop changing the kids names in Famous Five, dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Complementary off the point but its something I have come to realise recently, living in Ireland in the pre internet 1970s, and studding say Jane Austen or Thomas Hardy, we were never given a context for the works, thus not having a clue about the nuances of the British class system the books often did not make sense to me.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/entertainment/topnews/turkey-cher-slammed-after-using-bomb-and-explosion-emojis-in-tweet-about-istanbul-airport-attack/ar-AAhLyLS?li=BBr5HCU&ocid=iehp

People taking offence because Cher used a bomb emoji when tweeting about a bomb - what do posters think of this in the context of the snowflake discussion? I think it was a stupid thing to do, but doubt it was intended to be malicious and therefore think the backlash is a little OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/entertainment/topnews/turkey-cher-slammed-after-using-bomb-and-explosion-emojis-in-tweet-about-istanbul-airport-attack/ar-AAhLyLS?li=BBr5HCU&ocid=iehp

People taking offence because Cher used a bomb emoji when tweeting about a bomb - what do posters think of this in the context of the snowflake discussion? I think it was a stupid thing to do, but doubt it was intended to be malicious and therefore think the backlash is a little OTT.

I'm more annoyed about the all caps and txt spk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Poor Cher, we forget she's an old woman and not a ham wrapped in a bedsheet. She probably doesn't understand what the twitter machine really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The average age of a pilot flying for the RAF in 1940 was 20

The human head weighs 8 pounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I made a dyslexic joke in work and nearly got a written warning...I myself am dyslexic and it was a harmless joke...the world is an odd place...we should be more worried about deforrestation, melting ice caps and getting populations under control in India, China and the developing world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

God ****ing dammit I want to tell the joke of why my doctor told me to stay away from Tumblr so badly but I can feel the heat of the ban hammers laser on the back of my fat head :o

Pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I made a dyslexic joke in work and nearly got a written warning...I myself am dyslexic and it was a harmless joke...the world is an odd place...we should be more worried about deforrestation, melting ice caps and getting populations under control in India, China and the developing world...

Unfortunately we live in a world where people who voice concerns about global issues are dismissed as quacks and cranks, and people who get upset over jokes about dyslexic agnostics lying in bed at night wondering if there really is a Dog, are applauded and celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Whispered wrote: »
    Parenting a young child, it's hard to know what to do. Things are so studied, there are recommendations for absolutely everything and I feel that many people have lost the ability to parent instinctively because they're so busy trying to do everything "right".

It can also be down to online opinion. A few loud people can sound like a majority if you give it credence.

Just observe most forums when the topic of parenting is to hand. The amount of smugness and zealots pushing opinions as near-doctrinal statements must be intimidating for a lot of people. You only have to see the kind of tedious blowhards (most with no kids themselves) that pop up in here when topics like smacking or child accidents arise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

In World War II the average age of the combat soldier was 26...
    In Vietnam he was 19.
    In inininininin Vietnam he was 19
    Nininini Nineteen, 19, Ni-nineteen 19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Red Kev wrote: »
    In World War II the average age of the combat soldier was 26...
    In Vietnam he was 19.
    In inininininin Vietnam he was 19
    Nininini Nineteen, 19, Ni-nineteen 19

I had a stutter when I was a kid. Thanks for triggering me.

smash wrote: »
    The human head weighs 8 pounds
    Prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It is difficult for parents who do want to hold the line some where particularly middle class parents, if all the other teenagers are using the money from a summer job to buy mac makeup, go drinking, plus get drooped and picked up from work, or are given the car to drive themselves to work. It is very difficult to be the one parent saying cycle to and from work, sort your self out, hand up money and save for college. Its very hard to go against the conventional norms of a social group.

mariaalice wrote: »
    It is difficult for parents who do want to hold the line some where particularly middle class parents, if all the other teenagers are using the money from a summer job to buy mac makeup, go drinking, plus get drooped and picked up from work, or are given the car to drive themselves to work. It is very difficult to be the one parent saying cycle to and from work, sort your self out, hand up money and save for college. Its very hard to go against the conventional norms of a social group.
    It's not really, what people can't do is ignore their darling 18 year old child when they say "but everyone else is doing it". I don't think there's any parent meetup where they go over all the things that the children should expect to get. It's all coming from the children themselves.

Parents can be as cruel as they want when it comes to buying stuff for their children. It's not like they'll leave their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

ScumLord wrote: »
    Parents can be as cruel as they want when it comes to buying stuff for their children. It's not like they'll leave their parents.

...and then 40 years later they find themselves in a nursing home that's featured in a prime-time special.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Samaris wrote: »
    While I agree, there is a point that generally the "bad guys" get their come-uppances, as part of the "happy ending". That's the author's voice somewhat coming out to give what s/he feels is the best conclusion. The ones where the bad guys win are generally tragedies!

It's where "good" characters espouse views that we don't agree with nowadays (like the example I mentioned, the offhand use by sympathetic characters of "n*gger") that the censors tend to get wound up. I think that in books where it's a very offhand usage by a sympathetic character and it in no way changes the story or the message, it's okay to replace it with a different term, but in a story that is meant to be a semi-faithful representation of a period, it shouldn't.*

I remember (only very vaguely) as a kid picking up one of these expressions from an otherwise perfectly innocent (albeit outdated) children's book. Might have been Chalet School, might have been Enid Blyton, who've both casually used n*gger at times, and using it, also perfectly innocently. It was messy. :D

*Although they can stop changing the kids names in Famous Five, dammit!

doubleplusgood!!!

ScumLord wrote: »
    Prove it.

Hollywood never lies. Fact!

• Advertisement

NiallBoo wrote: »
    ...and then 40 years later they find themselves in a nursing home that's featured in a prime-time special.
    Like generation snowflake is going to put up their parents. That's not the way the trend is going. Assume you'll be abandoned in a home.

Advertisement