Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 7 - Speculation Thread - "Non book readers"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If Drogon dies, I wonder if it will be after battle and (speculation ahead)
    Dany may have to put the dragon out if it's misery after bad injuries.

Something about the image of her trying to remove the arrow, the dragon is named after her love, made me think she might have to put a sword through her love's heart and it might bring about one of the major prophecies down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Cersei places a lot of stock in the witch's prophesy, and it said she would have three golden-haired children (Jamie's children). So I think either Cersei is lying, or her card has been marked and she'll die before she gives birth. Given that the prophecy says that 'the valonqar' (little brother) will be the one to kill her, I'm still holding out hope that it will be Jaime, as that would be the most poignant, but if Cersei really is pregnant then it lends a whole other layer to that possibility.

Also, what are the chances that at the end of it all, Gendry is the one left standing to take the throne? Presumably he's been reintroduced for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

The part where Gilly discovers that Rhaegar and Lyanna married - Does this now give Jon a rightful claim to the throne ahead of Danaerys?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Vojera wrote: »
    Cersei places a lot of stock in the witch's prophesy, and it said she would have three golden-haired children (Jamie's children). So I think either Cersei is lying, or her card has been marked and she'll die before she gives birth

Seems like the decks are being cleared for a final cataclysmic dead v living showdown next season, but are things ever that straightforward with this show? That Cersei bit about seeking a temporary truce with Daenerys has me thinking intra-living tensions might continue into season 8...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

The part where Gilly discovers that Rhaegar and Lyanna married - Does this now give Jon a rightful claim to the throne ahead of Danaerys?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I do like how this nugget was just slipped in with no reaction to it from Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think Gilly mentioning Rhaegar was perfect.

Sam was pi**ed off about the Grand Maesters dismissing his idea and Gilly was talking to him about steps and windows, he just glossed over it without thinking, so much so he got the amount of steps & sh*ts confused, he wasnt thinking.

Im sure it will be brought back up at another time as he had to explain the term annulment to her too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

....... wrote: »

When it was done by a Maester nobody really takes seriously because he's always writing about his poops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

It was actually a Septon's meanderings that were in the book. Septons would be the ones carrying out a marriage ceremony and presumably have the power to annull marriages too.

Gilly helpfully told us it was done secretly in Dorne. At some point (had the war gone differently), the announcement would have been made and Elia shipped back to Dorne. A lot of ruffled Dornish feathers would have to have been smoothed out I imagine. Viserys and Dany to take one for the team perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wonder if the annulment bit is just a nod to the fans; a confirmation that Jon is the true King which will never be known to the world.

Although I was thinking - if Lyanna told Ned that Jon's name was "Targaryen", then that's confirmation that she and Rhaegar were married. Otherwise she would have called him "Sand".

So if Bran heard her say Targaryen, then Bran knows they were married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Seems like the decks are being cleared for a final cataclysmic dead v living showdown next season, but are things ever that straightforward with this show? That Cersei bit about seeking a temporary truce with Daenerys has me thinking intra-living tensions might continue into season 8...

I've avoided spoilers and triailers for the show as best i could but i heard 1 from a cast member that there were going to be unlikely alliances this season. But Cersei is plotting to ambush D, if any meeting does occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've avoided spoilers and triailers for the show as best i could but i heard 1 from a cast member that there were going to be unlikely alliances this season. But Cersei is plotting to ambush D, if any meeting does occur.
    I would be amazed if that worked out tbh. Tyrion has shown himself a little naive in the past when it comes to Jamie, but I think he knows enough about Cersei to never ever trust her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Don't know about that. Sam's explanation to Gilly didn't sound like annullment by our meaning of the word, more like a divorce. "When a man sets aside his lawful wife" was his definition. So if she's his lawful wife, their children would still be his lawful heirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

....... wrote:

I don't think it illegitamizies (i think i invented a word there) Rhaegars kids with Elia, as they were still married when they were conceived. It just puts Jon before Dany as the rightful heir.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That would be fine except for Sam's explanation of what it meant: "When a man sets aside his lawful wife".

That sounds a lot more like divorce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Regardless of the line of succession, Jon would still be legitimate as the scion of a lawful marriage. Rhaegar's kids with Elia Martell are dead, so Jon is still the true heir.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well yeah, but Gilly said it was done in secret, so I doubt that Elia would have known about it. But it was High Septon Maynard who did it, so that makes it about as official as it could possibly be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the biggest impact it will have will be conflict between Jon and Dany. Everything Dany has done in the show has basically been because she thinks she's the rightful heir to the throne and the rightful Queen. Now Jon stepping in, whether he wants the throne or not, is going to diminish everything Dany has worked for and everything she's been through to get it. Even if Jon steps aside and lets her have it or keeps his true parentage a secret, she'll know she's not the rightful Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

At them moment the god of light is what I want to see play out.

I kept expecting him/her to show up in a hour of need, and I picture him/her as Sauron

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

After a lot of binge watching I'm finally up to speed with Game of Thrones. If Cersei is pregnant wouldn't it be ironic if especially with her incestuous relationship with Jaime that this child would turn out to be a dwarf like Tyrion or like her mother before her she dies giving birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I think Sansa has a bigger role to play.
    She is still married to Tyrion is she not? Also, she is Jons first cousin so nothing to stop them for getting it on. To me that is more likely than him getting with Danarys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Why does it matter anymore if Jon is a Targaryen and ahead of Daenerys in the line of succession? Nobody in Daenerys' entourage chose her because of her lineage. If anything her lineage worked against her early on because most people hated her father. Ex-slaves follow her because she freed them, Dothraki because of some of the the "magic" things they saw her do, Jorah Mormont because he's in love with her and Tyrion because he thinks she will make a good queen and because he hates Cersei. People follow her because she has dragons, because she has a huge army, she is likely to win the war, or because they think she will make a good queen, or at least a better one that Cersei. Not one person follows her because of her lineage which if anything worked against her early on because of how unpopular the Mad King was. The only person who cares about the line of succession is Daenerys herself, but there is zero chance she is going to step aside for Jon just because his lineage is revealed (she was happy for her brother to be killed in the first season). 
    As for Jon, if he was still looked down upon as a bastard it would mean something for his real lineage to be revealed, but he has already been made King Of The North and is seen as a real Stark. If anything, the fact he is a Targaryan might work against him because the Mad King was so unpopular, especially in the north.
    There isn't one person in the show for whom it would make sense for them to switch sides just because Jon is ahead of Daenerys in the line of succession because nobody cares about the line of succession apart from Daenerys herself, and maybe Melisandre who is mostly in Jon's corner anyway.
    The only way I can see it mattering is if Daenerys gets paranoid and decides to kill Jon.
    Or if Jon can control one of the dragons against Daenerys and win loyalty that way but given they grew up with her I don't see it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement