Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Hulk: Deathwing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

i got the impression the ships were lost in the warp, mashed together and thrown out of the warp years later only to be used as a platform for the genestealers to use as a colony - one of the ships is 10,000 years old from the time of the Horus Heresy.

This ^^

Hulks are (and always were) the product of ships lost in the warp being mashed together; ovre time they would collect more and more detrius & ships as their masses grows ever larger. Such ships are spat out into normal space at random by the whimsical nature of the warp. Any given hulk could have the ships of many different races spanning aeons of history between any given two ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

humanji wrote: »
    I don't know a whole heap about the lore, but I always assumed that the hulks would be adrift for decades or even centuries, and so genestealer colonies would have many generations aboard them.

Yeah, but they need humans to infect to create those generations. Even though I believe in the original lore they could infect any race...
    i got the impression the ships were lost in the warp, mashed together and thrown out of the warp years later only to be used as a platform for the genestealers to use as a colony - one of the ships is 10,000 years old from the time of the Horus Heresy.

True, but sometimes they pop out of the warp for a bit, before going back in. Orcs have also been known to use them to get from system to system [there was a book that featured them using this mode of transport]. So realistically, they could have been in a system, taken it over [or just merely sent some of their forces] onto a derilict hulk that came near, and then jumped back into the warp again.

Reading the reviews, seems the multiplayer side of it is banjaxxed, and it has been as optimised as a two day old flatfish.

I really want this to work, but still going to hold off for now. I have too much sh*t in my backlog as is. And my current log, as i never seem to finish anything :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i was hopeful when i saw the comments above, but it seems like Reddit is saying that the performance is still pretty horrible. I'll give it a week or so and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Seems that it's not optimized properly for the minimum reqs - that or they just got the sys reqs really wrong.

• Advertisement

streaming a bit here if ye wanna take a look at the single player
    http://youtu.be/45cTMpOCsQo

My machine's weakpoint regards the specs for this game are the graphics cards - I've SLI Nvidia 770s. I'm running the graphics settings with a mixture of max and high (out of four possible settings), and beside the occasional jerk I've not noticed any particularly dire frame-rate problems yet. I've seen far, far worse performance from more supposedly polished games like Wolfenstein: The new order (with my current rig), or trying to run Planetside 2 on a sub-par spec machind back in the day. The Load times can be a bit naff too.

That said & done, the rest of my machine is above recommended spec so your mileage may vary. It most definitely needs further optimisation though. I've yet to try multiplayer so wont comment on that.

Lemming wrote: »
    That said & done, the rest of my machine is above recommended spec so your mileage may vary. It most definitely needs further optimisation though. I've yet to try multiplayer so wont comment on that.

I was reading of people having issues with 1080's. Maybe hyperbole. I'm running a 1070/i7-4790K/16GB on a 144hz screen so I'm hoping it will eb fine.

But TBH I have so much in the queue, I should really hold off, for now [albeit I was a massive W40K nerd in my teens, and love the setting :P so I know I will be buying it].

Any idea on single player length / number of missions?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Havent tried MP yet but I7 5960x, 32gb ddr4 and 290x2 everything pretty much maxed and I get the odd frame skip.

It is in the Unreal engine so I guess if you can run other Unreal games on High/Ultra this will be fine.

Shougeki wrote: »
    I was reading of people having issues with 1080's. Maybe hyperbole. I'm running a 1070/i7-4790K/16GB on a 144hz screen so I'm hoping it will eb fine.

Well, I've noticed that Nvidia do not have 'nvidia experience' game optimisations for the game yet and they just released a driver update yesterday so I imagine if there's anything needed, this game has missed the cut for the latest stable driver release and likely to be in a follow up driver release.

I've got an AMD FX-8350 with 16GB of Ram on a 144hz screen so graphics driver issues not withstanding you'll be able to run it easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I was kinda hoping that those of us who have fairly higher end PCs would be able to rely on brute force to overcome optimization issues.

Does the game scale well in SLI, Lemming? It can be a massive headache, particularly with new releases, and this wouldn't exactly be AAA on the wider radar.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping that those of us who have fairly higher end PCs would be able to rely on brute force to overcome optimization issues.

Does the game scale well in SLI, Lemming? It can be a massive headache, particularly with new releases, and this wouldn't exactly be AAA on the wider radar.

Intresting question TF; I'd need to disable SLI to see what sort of benefit SLI is giving me. I imagine that i am getting some given that my card (770 GTX) is very much at the lower end of the specifications spectrum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

On my very high end machine, I didn't see any frame rate drops, but equally it seems stuck on 62 FPS, no matter what I do. Not sure if it's a G-sync oddity it has or something else.

Shougeki wrote: »

But TBH I have so much in the queue, I should really hold off, for now [albeit I was a massive W40K nerd in my teens, and love the setting :P so I know I will be buying it].

Any idea on single player length / number of missions?

Same spec as me - runs fine here, and single player is about what you'd expect - i'm at around the 5 mission after around 6 hours, so they last a good while and are somewhat varied, i've had one timed objective so far which is good.. i hate timed stuff, but that fitted perfected with what was happening so yeah.

I'd reckon you'll have a great bit of craic with it if you're into the WH40K stuff

One thing I've not mentioned, which did make me smile and is a nod back to the original game, is that even if you go into map mode, or you're giving orders to your squad-members, time does not slow down at all. It's all in real-time which adds a sense of urgency to any strategic decision making that you are trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Multiplayer....... :(

Cant join servers and when you do that happens, no ping or sorts for servers so cant tell if im joining some brazilian lad on 56k

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The 62 fps thing is a frame rate limit, you can later the config files to bypass it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Lemming wrote: »
    This ^^

Hulks are (and always were) the product of ships lost in the warp being mashed together; ovre time they would collect more and more detrius & ships as their masses grows ever larger. Such ships are spat out into normal space at random by the whimsical nature of the warp. Any given hulk could have the ships of many different races spanning aeons of history between any given two ships.
    Which is why there should only be pure form genestealers on board and the ship should not have a ton of fresh purity seals etc. on it with third generation genestealers.

That's the lore flaw of the game; third gen. genestealers (third gen required to make them human looking and not have a third arm etc.) with fresh purity seals on a ship that's suppose to have been gone for decades (and the ships don't grow food etc. as it's all stocked). Even if we pull a "The warp time was much slower than real time" the disparity of generations vs. purity seals and food would still be there because it has 30+ years of ship time to pass in the first place. It's a minor nitpick but hey that's what gamers do :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Reading some reviews saying the progression and unlocks of weapons is a bit pointless and kinda removes from the game. The Codex rules seem to be the way to go to avoid this which is a nice touch.

I wonder if theres any plans to add in cosmetic stuff like switching up armour designs and changing your chapter. I know that would mess with the Lore and the Deathwing are a specific colour and chapter etc but it would be a cool aspect of multiplayer being able to design your own custom Terminator, kinda like what they did with Space Marines multiplayer cosmetic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

Nody wrote: »
    Which is why there should only be pure form genestealers on board and the ship should not have a ton of fresh purity seals etc. on it with third generation genestealers.

That's the lore flaw of the game; third gen. genestealers (third gen required to make them human looking and not have a third arm etc.) with fresh purity seals on a ship that's suppose to have been gone for decades (and the ships don't grow food etc. as it's all stocked). Even if we pull a "The warp time was much slower than real time" the disparity of generations vs. purity seals and food would still be there because it has 30+ years of ship time to pass in the first place. It's a minor nitpick but hey that's what gamers do :P

:pac:

• Advertisement

I'd let them have some artistic license with the genestealer generational thing; allows for a bit of variation in foe. The rest of it I just put down to "it looks cool"; the atmosphere is still great even with purity seals that don't look tens of thousands of years old.

Is it a safe assumption then, that it's only people familiar with 40K who are playing? Or is anyone being tempted by the game on its own merits, rather than the setting?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sprinting terminators just seems wrong to me

Can't sprint for long, and it's nice to see that you can actually mince foes by barging into them, as befits the fact that you are wearing insanely heavy/armoured errr ... armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Anyone have any problems with confining the mouse cursor?

You're usually pointing centrally during combat so no disasters have happened because of it but if you're trying to scroll around the map it's easy to wander out of the screen and then minimise the whole bloody game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Originally only pure strain genestealers would be on the Space Hulk but there is a reason why the Imperium goes to the effort and the cost of boarding Hulks rather than just safely obliterating them because of the lure of lost tech. There are untold trillions of citizens in the Imperium so there are bound to be plenty of traders, pirates and other civilians willing to risk boarding a Hulk for the chance of wealth beyond imagine.

Even in the first edition of the board game they had the Genestealer expansion which including hybrids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Maguined wrote: »
    Originally only pure strain genestealers would be on the Space Hulk but there is a reason why the Imperium goes to the effort and the cost of boarding Hulks rather than just safely obliterating them because of the lure of lost tech. There are untold trillions of citizens in the Imperium so there are bound to be plenty of traders, pirates and other civilians willing to risk boarding a Hulk for the chance of wealth beyond imagine.

Even in the first edition of the board game they had the Genestealer expansion which including hybrids.
    I don't have problem with hybrids per say; the problem is going on the pictures I've seen from the game the hybrids would be third generation hybrids which means at least 30/40+ years to pass for that to be possible. It's a lore nitpick as it does not match with the purity seals being so fresh (the hybrids would replace the purity seals with seals instead singing the praise of their Father etc.); hence there's a mismatch between the environment and the squishies being shown from a time passed perspective :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I don't have problem with hybrids per say; the problem is going on the pictures I've seen from the game the hybrids would be third generation hybrids which means at least 30/40+ years to pass for that to be possible. It's a lore nitpick as it does not match with the purity seals being so fresh (the hybrids would replace the purity seals with seals instead singing the praise of their Father etc.); hence there's a mismatch between the environment and the squishies being shown from a time passed perspective :)

Perfectly lore friendly in 40K :pac:

latest?cb=20091011115912

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Spear wrote: »
    The 62 fps thing is a frame rate limit, you can later the config files to bypass it.

So, smelly console port then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Meh, "assault" terminators with lightning claws plodding along slowly but surely would seem more out of place to me.

Advertisement