Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Hulk: Deathwing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They definitely have a lot of work to do, and i'd be worried if they don't fix these issues quickly. Nothing kills a game like this quicker than a buggy launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Just incase ye wanted to see it

Here's myself and cravez getting owned by the ai and beta bugs

The atmosphere of the game is excellent. You really feel trapped in some of the small rooms, and it can result in some really tight fights. Friendly fire on would make it bloody tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pro tip: Dont solo.

Space monsters beat the crap out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

How long are the levels? Im not really one for multiplayer games, so kinda only interested in the campaign. But love 40K and if done properly, further DLC would be awesome too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Another video here - goes through the classes at the start.

The attention to detail is spectacular and in general the performance seems to be solid enough, although the animation goes gammy on a few occasions - it goes a bit stop-motioney.

Apparently TB had problems because of SLI, which isn't supported yet.
    He does have a tendency to go off in a huff at the first sign of technical issues.

Took about 35 minutes to finish the level when we played it last night. Flew by though, and felt like about 10 minutes.

'Streum on' Games just announced the beta is being closed down on the 29th - apparently they're working round the clock to get stuff working..

Dunno what to make of that tbh, i figured the open beta would be active a bit longer than it has been.. 5 days of open beta? then 10 days to full launch date?

Seems iffy. Hope it's not but it sure seems that way

Looking at the reviews from most directions, they seem to be generally positive or at least open to the game becoming a good experience but there's pretty much unanimity that the game is a buggy mess and cannot possibly be ready for launch.

Even if the beta build was something they were working on in tandem and is a couple of weeks behind the development of the release version they'll still only have another couple of weeks to sort things out and I don't believe a month of development from a small studio is enough to sort the current gamebreaking issues out, never mind the steady patching it's reasonable to have to change balance and tweak gameplay.

The best thing to do would to be candid, delay the game at least until around Christmas, tell everyone what's going on.

I think the game will be an unrescuable flop if they don't do something like that, because if it's anywhere near as big a shambles as it currently looks, it seems like there'll be a massively negative reaction on launch and they'll never get those players they burned back.

As it stands I'd be inclined to wait until next summer and get the game on sale, even if it's just to play the singleplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The pure 40k nerd look at Beta. I might say most honest look at it.

• Advertisement

Single Player:

Delayed another week due to performance issues.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Delayed another week due to performance issues.

Absolutely no surprise there. I'd be amazed if they're able to release it at all this year.

Absolutely no surprise there. I'd be amazed if they're able to release it at all this year.

At least they aren't releasing it in a shambolic state. I guess..... [ €29 yoyo on cdkeys atm ]

Well at least that's their intent. But yeah, it's got potential, played the beta, buggy af but from what i did actually play it's good. I doubt a week will be enough to finish the game though.

Kinda glad still playing Watch Dogs 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This is out tomorrow on PS yes? Waiting to see what launch reviews are like

I refunded it after the beta. I just don't trust that it will be anything other than a buggy mess at launch. I might give it a go after i see some reviews.

Yeah. I want this to be suberb. But I have a feeling it with will be an unmitigated disaster for the beginning at least. Unfortunately I also them to go down the path like Warhammer: Total Rip-Off and gouge customers for DLC.

Kiith wrote: »
    I refunded it after the beta. I just don't trust that it will be anything other than a buggy mess at launch. I might give it a go after i see some reviews.

I was gonna do that too, decided to give it the benefit of the doubt though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

And it's live.

Spear wrote: »
    And it's live.

You're martin Tyler and I claim my 5 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Looking forward to verdicts on this

Played the 1st level, very enjoyable so far. I think it will really shine in Coop when you ramp up the difficulty. The creakiness and hugeness of the ship is very apparent (i have no clue what a space hulk is, I thought warhammer was all dwarves and orcs).

One or 2 frame skips but all in all performs well, no lag or issues that were in the beta.

Squad control can be clunky but I think as I play it more I will get used to. The GUI could do with some love, its not very obvious which big dude with a gun your ordering. An obvious fix would be F3 ORDER ALL! And I literally did not notice that it tells you how many relics are in each level :)

kdjac on steam if anyone wants some coop.

thought the same myself, played through the first mission, creepy and intense, also it looks and plays a hundred times better than the open beta they had.

giz a shout on steam if you're up for a game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Played through much of the first level. Loving the atmosphere they've created; it feels like a good representation of spacehulks from the lore stretching all the way back to the original GW Space Hulk game. Sound is great too. Sure, the controls are a bit clunky and I've had some frame rate drops but nothing that's a deal-breaker thus far and I'm sure they'll sort the FPS drops with time anyway.

the heavy flamer is so fcuking awesome :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The creakiness and hugeness of the ship is very apparent (i have no clue what a space hulk is, I thought warhammer was all dwarves and orcs).
    Going back to the original lore Spacehulks were wrecks of ship(s) floating slowly through space between starsystems. Genestealers would jump on such ships to drift into unsuspecting systems and start to take them over and due to this a dedicated force was created (Deathwing) to deal with cleansing such ships on sight.

Having said that the lore in this version is a bit odd because all the human looking enemies are third generation genestealers which would imply that the cult has been on the ship for the last 30+ years or so to get to that point...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Nody wrote: »
    Going back to the original lore Spacehulks were wrecks of ship(s) floating slowly through space between starsystems. Genestealers would jump on such ships to drift into unsuspecting systems and start to take them over and due to this a dedicated force was created (Deathwing) to deal with cleansing such ships on sight.

Having said that the lore in this version is a bit odd because all the human looking enemies are third generation genestealers which would imply that the cult has been on the ship for the last 30+ years or so to get to that point...
    I don't know a whole heap about the lore, but I always assumed that the hulks would be adrift for decades or even centuries, and so genestealer colonies would have many generations aboard them.

• Advertisement

i got the impression the ships were lost in the warp, mashed together and thrown out of the warp years later only to be used as a platform for the genestealers to use as a colony - one of the ships is 10,000 years old from the time of the Horus Heresy.

Advertisement