Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Hulk: Deathwing

Options
  • 20-06-2016 4:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

Supposedly out this year, hopefully this'll do for the Warhammer 40K universe what Vermintide did for the Warhammer Fantasy universe; 4 Player Co-op, a less used enemy type. Could be great. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Another SM led title. Boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think it looks great, really excited. Loving the animation effects on the force...mace?

It would be nice to get a game where you play Eldar or some other race for once, but this still looks great.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The turn based game that came out a few years ago was such a bitter disappointment that I'm glad to see a properly engaging and interesting take on a Space Hulk game. I *REALLY* hope that there's a Fallen somewhere on one of the Space Hulks for the Dark Angels to capture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

A little reminded me of Left 4 Dead, only with bigger guns

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Shiminay wrote: »
    The turn based game that came out a few years ago was such a bitter disappointment that I'm glad to see a properly engaging and interesting take on a Space Hulk game. I *REALLY* hope that there's a Fallen somewhere on one of the Space Hulks for the Dark Angels to capture :D

I quite enjoyed the Space Hulk offering; it is faithful to the original table-top game rules. There was a second version (Space Hulk: Ascension) released several months later that expanded upon the original and added character progression and unlocks for your marines rather than stand-alone missions within campaigns which the original was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

New trailer, and we're looking at a November release

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Zillah wrote: »
    I think it looks great, really excited. Loving the animation effects on the force...mace?

Crozius, I think.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Balls deep in the Horus Heresy series so I'm still riding the Space Marine wave - not bored of them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Shiminay wrote: »
    Was it that bad? I remember following it in development for awhile then lost track of it.

Up on Steam now - €39.99 which is a bit pricey, though currently 15% off if you preorder, which I'm not preordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Links234 wrote: »
    Up on Steam now - €39.99 which is a bit pricey, though currently 15% off if you preorder, which I'm not preordering.

If it has a proper co-op mode that stays the distance and a full campaign I can see it being worth it.

It looks well capable of being in the AAA bracket on the content side of things.
    Whether it delivers on that remains to be seen.

• Advertisement

I don't know, Payday 2 and Vermintide were both €27.99 on release (PD2 since dropped to €19.99), and I picked up Vermintide while it was still in open beta for a nice discount, closer to €22 I think. So I just can't help compare it to similar games, where the price point was much more inline with my budget. :o

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't know, Payday 2 and Vermintide were both €27.99 on release (PD2 since dropped to €19.99), and I picked up Vermintide while it was still in open beta for a nice discount, closer to €22 I think. So I just can't help compare it to similar games, where the price point was much more inline with my budget. :o

Did they have any single player campaign?

DW seems to have the whole thing - loot (and I do love WH40K loot), tech trees, experience, magic, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Definite day one buy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i wishlisted it - looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Vermintide was awesome gameplay but very little replayability. The community devolved into repetitive farming of the same maps over and over again very quickly. Not entirely sure it was worth the money. I enjoyed the gameplay a lot but was bored after a few hours. They deliberately doubled-down on the grindy aspects to try and stretch more life out of it, which killed it for me.

No way I'll be pre-ordering this, but I remain hopeful.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Zillah, that's exactly how I felt. I really do not like those repetitive sorts of loot-grinders, it's so horribly off-putting for someone who's mostly playing it cause it says Warhammer on it rather than anything else. I really hope we don't have the same for this, although, it being 40K and specifically the Deathwing, I can see it holding my attention that bit longer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yup, i'm buying this. Looks brilliant. Love how heavy the characters feel and sound. And the assault canon and flamethrower look and sounds exactly like i'd hope :D

Even if this was just a badly laid out co-op campaign, the 40k world suits it so much better than your Vermintides of this world.

But the lore writes itself. It's melodramatic bollocks but it's great.

"I am wrath. I am steel. I am the mercy of angels"

Who writes this ****?:D

WH40K has the best aesthetic imaginable for FPS or gameplay-driven RPGs. It parks rationality at the door and goes all Greek mythology on the usual thing, making things perfectly simple, black and white, and you can just pretend you're a 10ft tall demi-god wreathed in magic super armour, equipped with the most rudimentary but destructive of weapons.

There's so much to come from Games Workshop in gaming. If they stop making ****ing chess they'll be an absolute goldmine for quality shooters for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I just cant not buy this game, no interest in the lore it just looks awesome.

I want that hammer.

the thuds on the shield sounded awesome, cant wait for this :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's third person rather than an FPS, but the 2011 Space Marine game was excellent and deserved greater success than it got. The multi-player was very under-rated as well. Fire Warrior was pretty decent on the PS2 as well but it's a long time since I played that, so I'd have to really give it another go.

It's third person rather than an FPS, but the 2011 Space Marine game was excellent and deserved greater success than it got. The multi-player was very under-rated as well. Fire Warrior was pretty decent on the PS2 as well but it's a long time since I played that, so I'd have to really give it another go.

The games's not going for full AAA price on steam (£30 at the minute, minus the pre-order 15% off).

I'm not sure what that means - maybe lots of DLC, maybe a short game or maybe just low expectations.

At any rate, if we're going to see another Space Marine you'd think games that are fairly similar to it like Deathwing would probably want to be making a few bob.
    It's a very niche IP outside of strategy games so it'll have to probably knock it out of the park to get enough mainstream traction for them to make as enough of these games of sufficient quality for my liking.

Space Marine 2, as a less linear and more fully realised RPG should be an absolute open-goal, in my mind.
    There's already so much fluff, such clearly delineated progress of power, gear and abilities laid out already and it lends itself so well to almost spectacle-fighter kind of gameplay that they really should be able to make something that everyone would like and is also brilliant.

they sold vermintide for under the AAA price too, not that surprised

I don't know if many of you realise, but Games Workshop is in a really precarious position and it's fiction and licensed stuff are probably the only things keeping it alive. 3D printing is about to destroy its core business when it becomes cheap and accurate enough to replace the monumentally expensive casting process they use to make their models.

The death of THQ was the best thing that happened to GW, they had an exclusive license and now they've been able to open that up, so we have had Vermintide, Mordheim, Death Wing and Battlefleet Armada as well as Eternal Crusade (which isn't looking great tbh). The problem with all these additional licences is that they keep moving away from the lore in small ways and the lore is the glue that ties it all together.

heard it's an expensive hobby alright, i watched a few of the lore videos arch has on youtube about some of the Warhammer and WH40k characters, and literally every one of them, he slates the end times as being non-cannon, lore wrecking rubbish - it's actually quite funny the way he's explained it

There's a reason their Black Library (publishing) division is so successful - the Lore is the thing that keeps people hooked long after they've lost interest or abilities to keep up with the gaming element of their company. Add to that the fact that their prices are beyond fucked and that opened the doors for Privateer to make a big play for the market (and they have). They've also got some majorly talented authors who wouldn't have any interest in the job if it wasn't fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've not read any of the books, but i've spent many hours going through the 40K wiki. Some absolutely cool characters in there, so it's always great to see them in game. Space Marine was one of my favourite games of...whatever year it was released. Everything felt so heavy and satisfying, so if they can replicate that in Deathwing, i'm sold.

If you're a big giant nerd you might enjoy this youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS14rofXz-WT305CKiu719Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Kiith wrote: »
    I've not read any of the books, but i've spent many hours going through the 40K wiki. Some absolutely cool characters in there, so it's always great to see them in game. Space Marine was one of my favourite games of...whatever year it was released. Everything felt so heavy and satisfying, so if they can replicate that in Deathwing, i'm sold.

If you're wondering where to start with the books, and if you can get them (some will be in anthology format now):

Warhammer Fantasy: Felix & Gotrek. There's a long list of novels and I recommend reading them in order. I've not read all of them, but the William King novels are great at any rate.

Warhammer 40k:
    • Deathwing: this is the short story from the Space Hulk: Deathwing expansion boxed set reprinted along with collection of unrelated stories in paperback format. Can now be had in eBook format from black library.
    • Space Marine by Ian Watson. Warning: bits of it could be considered a bit .... homo-erotic :pac:
    • The Inquisitor series by Ian Watson. Characters from the above-mentioned Space Marine also cross into the Inquisitor novels.
    • Gaunts Ghosts by Dan Abbnett.

I've not read the Heresy novels although heard they're good, and I've not listed any of the space wolf novels because it'll be a personal preference thing. I like the wolves, you may not. The above list is annoying in that some of the Ian Watson novels can be found on the BlackLibrary site, but not others; even from the same series.

I've listed most of the above (with the exception of Gaunts Ghosts) 40k novels because they're what could be considered classic Rogue-Trader era stories, when the universe portrayed in the lore was somewhat less clinical and a great deal more gothic.

Advertisement