Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! The Leaving Cert 2016 - discussion & aftermath

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My mom wants me to do medicine so she can tell her friends that I got medicine. It won't happen though
    And what if it does?

You gonna ring the CAO and tell them you actually want your second choice?

You know how far you'll get? :p

Do you really think it's wise to order your CAO choices on the basis that your mom likes the idea of having a doctor in the family? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

And what if it does?

You gonna ring the CAO and tell them you actually want your second choice?

You know how far you'll get? :p

Do you really think it's wise to order your CAO choices on the basis that your mom likes the idea of having a doctor in the family? :)

I have 1 exam left. app math. I think I'm set to get about 510 ish so I will likely get my fifth. I would probably need about 220-230 in the hpat to get medicine so i'm fairly confident that it won't happen. Also if it does happen I will probably be happy that I did well enough to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

So happy to be done honestly. Disappointed with how some subjects went (quite possibly got a B3 in my favourite, Physics, despite working my butt off for an A1) but delighted with others like Maths P1 and Chemistry. Think I probably got around 550 which is 35 points more than I need so as long as I get my first course (TCD Science) I'll be happy. Hoping for A1s in Chem, Irish and French. Probably got Bs in History, English, Maths. No idea how Physics went honestly.

Does it frustrate anyone else how hard it is to know how you did in language/essay subjects? I honestly have no idea what's required for As in e.g. History and Irish and it's hard to tell whether or not the mocks were flukes.

I'm so with you on physics, expected easy A1, probably settling for a B1 :(

Isn't science TCD 505? I have that third :D Think I might have gotten ~540, which will for sure get me UCD physics but not my first choice, o well.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

So happy to be done honestly. Disappointed with how some subjects went (quite possibly got a B3 in my favourite, Physics, despite working my butt off for an A1) but delighted with others like Maths P1 and Chemistry. Think I probably got around 550 which is 35 points more than I need so as long as I get my first course (TCD Science) I'll be happy. Hoping for A1s in Chem, Irish and French. Probably got Bs in History, English, Maths. No idea how Physics went honestly.

Does it frustrate anyone else how hard it is to know how you did in language/essay subjects? I honestly have no idea what's required for As in e.g. History and Irish and it's hard to tell whether or not the mocks were flukes.
    I'm not good at languages so I only had English and pass Irish, never liked the unpredictability of your own grades that much, think I got a B of some sort in both though so I'm fairly happy with that.

Physics was a hard paper, you'll likely get higher grades than you thought due to how hard it was, ty bell curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kebababs

Nobody seems to be happy with Physics :( I wanted an A1 too but its looking like a high B now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

Seaaan wrote: »
    I'm so with you on physics, expected easy A1, probably settling for a B1 :(

Isn't science TCD 505? I have that third :D Think I might have gotten ~540, which will for sure get me UCD physics but not my first choice, o well.

I thought it was 515? I was going by 1st round offers, I know 505 was final round.

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who found Physics hard. Honestly, it wasn't *that* difficult technically, it was just reaaaally strange so I got thrown and panicked. I like that the Irish Times had a teacher saying it could discourage students from doing Physics for LC, very gratifying :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Kebababs wrote: »
    Nobody seems to be happy with Physics :( I wanted an A1 too but its looking like a high B now.
    I was VERY happy with physics. Investigating Physics went over all over the questions (event that weird mgh=mcdeltatheta heat questions).

SO HAPPY I'M DONE!!! Gonna get drunk and watch some Peaky Blinders ayyyyyy! Good luck to everyone! Probably won't post until results day (brace yourself for some shameless bragging or total bitching). Much love to all my boards brothers and sisters!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

TSMGUY wrote: »
    I was VERY happy with physics. Investigating Physics went over all over the questions (event that weird mgh=mcdeltatheta heat questions).

What's Investigating Physics? Yeah like normally I love creative Physics Qs, and I did get the Niagara one right, but did not appreciate being thrown by such a weird paper in such a stressful situation y'know?

I'm currently in the process of getting rid of all my notes, scary to think of the effect the Leaving Cert has on the environment with the thousands of photocopies :O

Kebababs wrote: »

I was very happy, got all twelve questions done. They're gonna mark it easily, I love weird unusual physics questions, they make it more fun to answer on.

adam240610 wrote: »
    I was very happy, got all twelve questions done. They're gonna mark it easily, I love weird unusual physics questions, they make it more fun to answer on.

You know what I found strange about the leaving cert as a whole? It's that the exams themselves were actually quite enjoyable. With the exception of OL Irish paper 2 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

You know what I found strange about the leaving cert as a whole? It's that the exams themselves were actually quite enjoyable. With the exception of OL Irish paper 2 :pac:

Same, Ieish was my ordinary level subject and because I'm not counting it I had nothing done for it. I couldn't even write about Geibheann and I mixed up the stories completely!

Same for all of mine, I had little to no stress, just a bit less sleep than normal, I really enjoyed doing the maths papers for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

Finished yesterday evening with DCG. F*cking delighted with every exam except Irish P2 but sure I'd say most of the country feel the same. Definitely above expectations in the lot. Only needed ~420 points, wouldn't be surprised if I'm 100 over that. Kinda feels like a waste lol

Giotar wrote: »
    Finished yesterday evening with DCG. F*cking delighted with every exam except Irish P2 but sure I'd say most of the country feel the same. Definitely above expectations in the lot. Only needed ~420 points, wouldn't be surprised if I'm 100 over that. Kinda feels like a waste lol

you've still got time to change you cao if there was something higher you wanted but didnt put down

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do a course you want to do and have an interest in. Don't choose something just because you will get the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

you've still got time to change you cao if there was something higher you wanted but didnt put down

Nah I've been set on Computer Apps in DCU for a while. Trumped the point req but I can't wait for September :DDD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Last exam today, which is music! I'm slightly panicking because instead of doing the wise thing and studying over the last week which I had off, I waited until last night :o But I THINK I should be okay. I hope. But all the other exams went pretty well for me, so on the off chance that I do go down on this one, I should be okay :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

spurious wrote: »
    Do a course you want to do and have an interest in. Don't choose something just because you will get the points.

Most importantly which is something some people seem to forget is just because a course has a low amount of points required doesn't mean it's easy or a course that will be a "waste" if you are someone getting 500+. It's impossible to waste points.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

No but none of mine were exactly equal so I just took it as them trying to reflect results from a student's own experiment.

I'll join in on the course choices I suppose:
    1. Mathematical Science (UL)
    2. Mathematics and Physics (UL)
    3. Applied Physics (UL)
    4. Computer Systems (UL)

No they aren't all UL I do have some for NUIG but I want to save on accommodation and basically try and get through at least undergrad debt free.

If you want to know more about studying Physics in UL you can message me if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Finally done :D

• Advertisement

emersyn wrote: »
    Finally done :D

Its such a relief :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jayroitman

Last exam today! Can't believe it's over. 54 days until we know if we failed or not. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

jayroitman wrote: »
    Last exam today! Can't believe it's over. 54 days until we know if we failed or not. ;)

I have never heard of anyone failing an exam in the JC, or LC.

Now obviously it happens, but I thinks it's rare enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

I have never heard of anyone failing an exam in the JC, or LC.

Now obviously it happens, but I thinks it's rare enough.

In 2015, 9.3% of people who did pass Maths failed (SEC LC Statistics on their website). Not that rare when you think of it.

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    In 2015, 9.3% of people who did pass Maths failed (SEC LC Statistics on their website). Not that rare when you think of it.

And for HL subjects it's around 2-3 percent in general I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Me failing something is a high guarantee.

Gallagher1 wrote: »

Lets hope I won't be one of them :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Most importantly which is something some people seem to forget is just because a course has a low amount of points required doesn't mean it's easy or a course that will be a "waste" if you are someone getting 500+. It's impossible to waste points.
    Spot on.

Points are determined by supply and demand (no. of places available vs. number seeking them), it has nothing to do with how difficult the course is.

Sure, lots of high points courses are pretty tough (e.g. medicine), but they're high points because they're in demand, not because they're tough.

Triple the number of places in medicine in Ireland next year and the points would fall significantly, even though the course hadn't changed an iota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I just wanted to say well done to everyone.

Some tribes have similar weird initiation ceremonies... look at this guy who has to jump over cattle as part of his task to say goodbye to teenage years,
    5392950063_f8ce78cd0c.jpg
    he aint thinkin 'when will I ever use this in life?'. He's just doing it and experienced all the pressures of the build up beforehand and folk watching him on the day the same as you did.

Take it easy on yerselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I just wanted to say well done to everyone.

Some tribes have similar weird initiation ceremonies... look at this guy who has to jump over cattle as part of his task to say goodbye to teenage years,
    5392950063_f8ce78cd0c.jpg
    he aint thinkin 'when will I ever use this in life?'. He's just doing it and experienced all the pressures of the build up beforehand and folk watching him on the day the same as you did.

Take it easy on yerselves.

sure isn't that a mad haircut ha

Advertisement