Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! The Leaving Cert 2016 - discussion & aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Seaaan wrote: »
    May I ask why medicine is first if this is the case? Seems like you want actuarial more than anything.

I had a similar enough CAO to the other user. Medicine is what I wanted to do, Maths/Actuarial is what I knew for a fact I'd be good at if I had to do something outside of Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 alaandocs

I better join the in with these course choices lol
    1,2&3 Medecine TCD,UCD,UCC
    4.Pharmacy TCD
    5. General Science TCD

Hopefully il get one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Seaaan wrote: »
    May I ask why medicine is first if this is the case? Seems like you want actuarial more than anything.

My mom wants me to do medicine so she can tell her friends that I got medicine. It won't happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 32 louisoc

One exam left, but it's a pretty safe banker for an A1. Predict 545-550 points come August, not incredibly impressive and I definitely could have done better but sure if it gets me my course what's the harm? Feels pretty anticlimactic to be finished to be honest, it just sort of fizzled out today after chem. Serious kicker this Friday and few trips to look forward to is v deece all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

louisoc wrote: »
    Predict 545-550 points come August, not incredibly impressive

Only on boards......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

TSMGUY wrote: »

I got 625 points, far from great I know but it was the best I could do.

haha really not an attempt to humblebrag, but like I know my own ability by now, and relative to what I've gotten in the past and what I know I could have gotten if I put the work in, I know I didn't achieve my "potential" or whatever. Still, if I do get that, I will be quite happy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

I think I have 3 A1's so far with three subjects left to go, all comes down to applied maths haha.

No point predicting what you have until you know what you have is all I'm going to say. Think you did great? Oh no the marking scheme ensures you keep the bell curve running.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ConorDon97

There's always one guy in every school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I can't remember what it feels like not to have a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Predict 545-550 points come August, not incredibly impressive

Haha you know that would be in like the top 6-8% of all students in the country? That's very good and would get you into nearly all courses

haha really not an attempt to humblebrag, but like I know my own ability by now, and relative to what I've gotten in the past and what I know I could have gotten if I put the work in, I know I didn't achieve my "potential" or whatever. Still, if I do get that, I will be quite happy! :)
    LOL I understand, just the way you said it without any context. At least you're not like the yolks on the student room comparing MARKS (Guys, I got 399/400 UMS marks in my A level maths, is that enough for oxford??????? etc. Jesus:eek:)
    emersyn wrote: »
    I can't remember what it feels like not to have a headache
    I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A HUMAN BEING. I AM NOT A NUMBER!!!!!!!!! (F*** the SEC, I feel like I've lost a part of my humanity studying and I really can't be arsed for tomorrow.

LOL I understand, just the way you said it without any context. At least you're not like the yolks on the student room comparing MARKS (Guys, I got 399/400 UMS marks in my A level maths, is that enough for oxford??????? etc. Jesus:eek:)
    I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A HUMAN BEING. I AM NOT A NUMBER!!!!!!!!! (F*** the SEC, I feel like I've lost a part of my humanity studying and I really can't be arsed for tomorrow.

Hello my name is candidate 142*** (don't want anyone stealing my name). *Asks if candidate knows something not on LC curriculum* DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE! 011101011010011

I used to be very good at movie quotes from rubbish films before the LC now all I can think of is Wuthering Heights, The King's Speech and King Lear. Edgar I nothing am. It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now.

Speaking of Wuthering Heights I am going to see it performed live (wasn't allowed to watch any adaptation because our teacher restricted it, she does that with everything that has a film version available).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ConorDon97

I finished on Friday. I do feel sorry for anyone still doing it. Feels so drawn out

ConorDon97 wrote: »
    I finished on Friday. I do feel sorry for anyone still doing it. Feels so drawn out

I know I had Physics+Accounting on Monday and had three days to do nothing but prepare for them. It was painful. At least now with DCG tomorrow I only really have a day and a half and it's nice just flicking through the ebooks for it and the fact my project was brilliant (but that's just my opinion).

I know I had Physics+Accounting on Monday and had three days to do nothing but prepare for them. It was painful. At least now with DCG tomorrow I only really have a day and a half and it's nice just flicking through the ebooks for it and the fact my project was brilliant (but that's just my opinion).

I saw that subject for the very first time literally today when looking at the LC schedule; what does DCG entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

ConorDon97 wrote: »

I'm off now until Friday and trying to find the motivation to study for Applied Maths is the hardest thing I've ever done :P

I saw that subject for the very first time literally today when looking at the LC schedule; what does DCG entail?

Drawings, drawings everywhere. 40% is a project done on SolidWorks (it's a CAD program) this year for HL it was design a tap (sounded terrible but turned out to be really good in the end), you obviously have to do a portfolio along with that though.

For the 60% exam you'd be talking about circles and tangents to them and stuff like that. Ellipses, parabolas and hyperbolas and the many, many ways you can draw them. Perspective projections (best example of what that means is basically projecting what you see of an object from a different point, like when you look down a hall it gets narrower further down). Road geometry (drawing roads basically on maps). That's just some of the stuff, there's a lot in the course.

It makes things like constructions in maths really simple since you are expected to be able to do most of them in seconds really in DCG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Speaking of Wuthering Heights I am going to see it performed live (wasn't allowed to watch any adaption because our teacher restricted it, she does that with everything that has a film version available).

Adaption? :confused:

• Advertisement

Adaption? :confused:

Fixed it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Fixed it for you.

A1 :)

Can't wait to finish on my birthday on Friday haha

Drawings, drawings everywhere. 40% is a project done on SolidWorks (it's a CAD program) this year for HL it was design a tap (sounded terrible but turned out to be really good in the end), you obviously have to do a portfolio along with that though.

For the 60% exam you'd be talking about circles and tangents to them and stuff like that. Ellipses, parabolas and hyperbolas and the many, many ways you can draw them. Perspective projections (best example of what that means is basically projecting what you see of an object from a different point, like when you look down a hall it gets narrower further down). Road geometry (drawing roads basically on maps). That's just some of the stuff, there's a lot in the course.

It makes things like constructions in maths really simple since you are expected to be able to do most of them in seconds really in DCG.

Crazy, looked at a few past papers for it, what a strange subject. Constructions were probably my least favourite part of HL maths so I doubt it would have suited me haha

did your school offer it as a subject, or did you have to go elsewhere? my school offers all the weird ones (latin, ancient greek etc), so I wonder why I've never heard of this one...

Crazy, looked at a few past papers for it, what a strange subject. Constructions were probably my least favourite part of HL maths so I doubt it would have suited me haha

did your school offer it as a subject, or did you have to go elsewhere? my school offers all the weird ones (latin, ancient greek etc), so I wonder why I've never heard of this one...

Yeah the school offers it every year. Usually about 20 do it though some years there's more. We had about 22 at the start of fifth year but a few switched after realising you really needed to have done Technical Graphics in the JC to actually be decent at DCG (though if you apply yourself you can easily do DCG without having done TG, just these people couldn't).

School forked out on a whole new batch of computers for DCG too so we got to enjoy those. Each one was about €1,500 with an i7 (wouldn't let me get info on which i7 it was unfortunately), 8GB DDR3 (might be more but from the performance I guess about 8GB) and a quadro series GPU (again don't know which quadro but was definitely a year or two out of date). To be fair though I'm planning on upgrading my own PC to be valued more than that but still it was way better than the crappy dells they had in the room the year before.

Hello my name is candidate 142*** (don't want anyone stealing my name). *Asks if candidate knows something not on LC curriculum* DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE! 011101011010011

I used to be very good at movie quotes from rubbish films before the LC now all I can think of is Wuthering Heights, The King's Speech and King Lear. Edgar I nothing am. It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now.

Speaking of Wuthering Heights I am going to see it performed live (wasn't allowed to watch any adaptation because our teacher restricted it, she does that with everything that has a film version available).
    My favourite quote from King Lear was when kent called oswald a "base football player" and an "eater of broken meats". For some reason I died laughing at that.

There's was a wuthering heights with Tom Hardy as Heathcliff. Definitely watch that one.

My favourite quote from King Lear was when kent called oswald a "base football player" and an "eater of broken meats". For some reason I died laughing at that.

There's was a wuthering heights with Tom Hardy as Heathcliff. Definitely watch that one.

"This piece of toasted cheese should do't" Stuck with me for some reason haha, good ole Lear.

adam240610 wrote: »
    "This piece of toasted cheese should do't" Stuck with me for some reason haha, good ole Lear.
    LOL, so many quotables. Gonna start calling people "whoresons"

LOL, so many quotables. Gonna start calling people "whoresons"

Shakespeare had some great insults, nothing comes close to them.

"Thou art as fat as butter." has to be my favourite, from Henry IV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

So happy to be done honestly. Disappointed with how some subjects went (quite possibly got a B3 in my favourite, Physics, despite working my butt off for an A1) but delighted with others like Maths P1 and Chemistry. Think I probably got around 550 which is 35 points more than I need so as long as I get my first course (TCD Science) I'll be happy. Hoping for A1s in Chem, Irish and French. Probably got Bs in History, English, Maths. No idea how Physics went honestly.

Does it frustrate anyone else how hard it is to know how you did in language/essay subjects? I honestly have no idea what's required for As in e.g. History and Irish and it's hard to tell whether or not the mocks were flukes.

Advertisement