Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! The Leaving Cert 2016 - discussion & aftermath

Options
  • 17-06-2016 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

So it's all over, how does it feel? :) I'm pretty happy with most of my papers and just cant believe its over!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's not over until the 24th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Corkalex

So far it hasn't been going as well as I thought it would but oh well that's just life

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ConorDon97

I think I did enough to get my course. Just wondering, do people often do better than they expect when they get their results? I know it might sound like a stupid question, but every year people seem to be happy with what they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

ConorDon97 wrote: »
    I think I did enough to get my course. Just wondering, do people often do better than they expect when they get their results? I know it might sound like a stupid question, but every year people seem to be happy with what they got.

Examiners are generous! They'll give you all the marks that they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

I went from 200 points in my mocks to 420 in the leaving (only thought I'd get 320 max tbh).

You'd be surprised how well it can turn out so keep the heads up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Base price wrote:
    Knew a (now retired) dairy farmer who had land either side of a busy byroad. He had permanent yellow flashing beacons with a very loud alarm sounding which he turned on when he had to bring the cows across the road.

As my engineering teacher says ''there will be no surprises when the results come out''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Examiners are generous! They'll give you all the marks that they can.

lol not in my experience. I had my physics marked at 319/400 last year. Lousy bastard wouldn't give me a single mark more to bump me up to a B1.

Had to appeal and they still haven't given me my forty euros back. I wouldn't count on the generosity of markers tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

TSMGUY wrote: »
    lol not in my experience. I had my physics marked at 319/400 last year. Lousy bastard wouldn't give me a single mark more to bump me up to a B1.

Had to appeal and they still haven't given me my forty euros back. I wouldn't count on the generosity of markers tbh

they can't give marks for something that's incorrect?

Liordi wrote: »
    they can't give marks for something that's incorrect?

Well it got upgraded so it must've been correct. First marker was just a pr***. I viewed my script and he was so harsh it was unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangdiggy

Still have 3 more exams unfortunately: Spanish, chemistry, economics😞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Well it got upgraded so it must've been correct. First marker was just a pr***. I viewed my script and he was so harsh it was unbelievable.

Ah, fair enough. Hopefully you'll have a nice marker this year. Are you going for an A1?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

My son got his HL geography exam reviewed last year he went from a D1 to a C2 and got his E40 back about 2 weeks later

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Kebababs wrote: »
    So it's all over, how does it feel? :) I'm pretty happy with most of my papers and just cant believe its over!
    Nice for some! :p
    My son got his HL geography exam reviewed last year he went from a D1 to a C2 and got his E40 back about 2 weeks later
    That sounds like the mark for a full question was accidentally left out, or a major mistake in addition, or a question not marked or similar.

While such does unfortunately occasionally happen, such major changes in grades after an appeal are very rare, before everyone gets their hopes up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

How is everyone planning on celebrating?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Whopper sesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kebababs

Seaaan wrote: »
    Whopper sesh.

Indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

MomijiHime wrote: »
    How is everyone planning on celebrating?

I'm not even finished yet but probably play some Euro Truck Sim 2 or something then go to bed. Have Uncharted 4 to play too so I need to binge play that before we go off to the UK to see family.

No I don't plan on being very social as you can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Well I'll start the 23rd with study, then I'll sit my music exam. Then I'll go into Galway or the likes on a bus with everyone.
    Then I'll wake up on Sunday on the Luas in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Applied math and my birthday on Friday, can't wait.

And appeals don't really Matter too much, by the time you get reviewed points you missed your place for college

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

adam240610 wrote: »
    Applied math and my birthday on Friday, can't wait.

And appeals don't really Matter too much, by the time you get reviewed points you missed your place for college

I heard they have to find you a place in a course if you get the points after an appeal? It may not be in your college of choice but it will be somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

What are the odds TCD engineering will increase points after increasing 25 points last year?

Definitely got it if it stays at 495, but another 25 points increase will be pushing my boundaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

I heard they have to find you a place in a course if you get the points after an appeal? It may not be in your college of choice but it will be somewhere

If you get the points for your first choice after rechecks for example the college in question HAS to offer you a place in that course however a lot of these offers are deferred till the following september as you will more than likely fail the semester, seeing as you missed the first 6/7 weeks of teaching/labs.

I actually think I've gotten like 1 A so far out of 7 subjects, starting to doubt I'll get Theoretical physics TCD now :(

Seaaan wrote: »
    I actually think I've gotten like 1 A so far out of 7 subjects, starting to doubt I'll get Theoretical physics TCD now :(

If you really mean that then it's unlikely. TCD physics is 550 points.
    Minus an A1 is 450 points.

Then you need to make up those 450 points over your next 5 best subjects, which would be 90 points per subject, which is 5 A2's.

Not saying you should change preference, but maybe make sure you REALLY like your second or third choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

If you really mean that then it's unlikely. TCD physics is 550 points.
    Minus an A1 is 450 points.

Then you need to make up those 450 points over your next 5 best subjects, which would be 90 points per subject, which is 5 A2's.

Not saying you should change preference, but maybe make sure you REALLY like your second or third choices.
    Not to mention 25 extra points for maths at higher level.

I have Physics UCD second so I should get that regardless, I think.

I sure hope I just manage to surprise myself with results, as I only really know what I got in maths and the rest could go up or down.

From what I have, I think I have roughly 450-460, which leaves it within reach but not guaranteed. Praying for a nice chemistry paper, A2 could seal the deal perhaps :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Slamsunk

On the leaving cert physics paper did anyone else not have net forces and clockwise and anticlockwise moments add up to zero. Everyone else from my school had the numbers add up wrong aswell ....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Since you are all talking about choices i will throw in mine.
    1. Medicine in NUIG (Not gonna happen)
    2. Actuarial maths in UCD (560 points, really want it but nope no chance of pulling that)
    3 Trinity maths
    4. Actuarial maths in DCU (535 unlikely i will get it tbh but I do want it)
    5. common entry to actuarial maths in DCU (500 hopefully I will get this as I really want actuarial but I'm not certain)
    My other 5 are maths and engineering courses in NUIG. I would enjoy anything above 5 a lot more though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Slamsunk wrote: »
    On the leaving cert physics paper did anyone else not have net forces and clockwise and anticlockwise moments add up to zero. Everyone else from my school had the numbers add up wrong aswell ....

No but none of mine were exactly equal so I just took it as them trying to reflect results from a student's own experiment.

I'll join in on the course choices I suppose:
    1. Mathematical Science (UL)
    2. Mathematics and Physics (UL)
    3. Applied Physics (UL)
    4. Computer Systems (UL)

No they aren't all UL I do have some for NUIG but I want to save on accommodation and basically try and get through at least undergrad debt free.

• Advertisement

1. Medicine in NUIG (Not gonna happen)
    2. Actuarial maths in UCD (560 points, really want it but nope no chance of pulling that)

May I ask why medicine is first if this is the case? Seems like you want actuarial more than anything.
    Slamsunk wrote: »

Net forced upwards and downwards were out by .1 N, moments were by roughly the same. Don't worry! Experimental error, or something :o

Advertisement