Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult ADHD Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

PPN2893 wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried occupational therapy in regards to ADHD and planning?

I have my fourth appointment with a therapist tomorrow and I'm honestly thinking about cancelling after that.

Background: After being told by my GP that Dr Fitzgerald's diagnosis wasn't going to be upheld by most HSE doctors, I got appointment with one of the local HSE psychiatrist. To the best of my knowledge, I'm on the waiting list to see a consultant psychologist about being assessed again. In the interim they pushed for occupational therapy since I'm in my final year of college and freaking out because I can't seem to sit down and do anything college related for more than 10 minutes.

The woman I'm seeing is lovely. The problem is that she's not giving any advice I haven't tried dozens of times. Daily lists, timetables, memos, alarms.... these are all things I've tried before. I was even using these systems for months before seeing her and they just don't work for anything academic (just small daily physical tasks like doing the washing up or cutting the grass etc.) As soon as I sit down to read something, I've got twenty other thoughts screaming to get attention. I just feel like it's not working. This would be fine on it's own but she's just adding more stress to me right now. It's just another thing I'm failing at getting done.

Has anyone else tried this? And did you feel anything like this?

Tbh I was always under the impression that those ‘soft’ treatment options only work if you’re on medication first. One thing that I would think about trying myself is CBT but that would be for a specific outcome of having ADHD (anxiety when I’ve done something wrong) rather than inherent symptoms like boredom. I mean, no amount of hard work is going to correct dopamine levels, so...it’s normal that things like lists etc aren’t going to be that effective as a primary treatment option. Maybe a secondary, but not a primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Elaine Partridge

Hi everyone. I've been reading through all the posts with interest. So many things rang true. I'm in my late 30s and have felt 'off' my whole life. I've sort of managed and passed a lot of my problems off as personality quirks; lateness, chronic procrastination, scattiness, forgetfulness, daydreaming, fidgeting, disorganisation, blurting the wrong thing out. I'ver read all the self-help books, tried all the organisation systems (I will say, the KonMari system has been the most successful for me, albeit in a limited way), but I'm still 'off'.

The older I get, the more overwhelming things get. I find myself getting depressed and inert, and while I wouldn't say I'm suicidal, sometimes when things get very confusing and jumbled, I just want to stop existing. Just disappear. I have a great family and friends, but I feel like I'm wearing them out and dragging them down.

Is it worth getting assessed? It seems like such a battlefield here. I'm not interested in medication, but if I had acknowledgement that my brain worked differently, maybe I wouldn't beat myself up so much over not being able to managed the same way others do. That bit is so exhausting. And perhaps I could access therapy to help structure my life and manage my expectations.

Does anyone know if the ADHD clinic in the Vista Centre in Naas is still open? Thanks x

Hi everyone. I've been reading through all the posts with interest. So many things rang true. I'm in my late 30s and have felt 'off' my whole life. I've sort of managed and passed a lot of my problems off as personality quirks; lateness, chronic procrastination, scattiness, forgetfulness, daydreaming, fidgeting, disorganisation, blurting the wrong thing out. I'ver read all the self-help books, tried all the organisation systems (I will say, the KonMari system has been the most successful for me, albeit in a limited way), but I'm still 'off'.

The older I get, the more overwhelming things get. I find myself getting depressed and inert, and while I wouldn't say I'm suicidal, sometimes when things get very confusing and jumbled, I just want to stop existing. Just disappear. I have a great family and friends, but I feel like I'm wearing them out and dragging them down.

Is it worth getting assessed? It seems like such a battlefield here. I'm not interested in medication, but if I had acknowledgement that my brain worked differently, maybe I wouldn't beat myself up so much over not being able to managed the same way others do. That bit is so exhausting. And perhaps I could access therapy to help structure my life and manage my expectations.

Does anyone know if the ADHD clinic in the Vista Centre in Naas is still open? Thanks x

Is it worth getting asssessed? Well I had the same question. When I decided to get assessed it was after thinking about it for 6 months or so. I wanted to know what the cost has been to other ppl, of NOT getting assessed, but I realised that’s actually impossible to quantify. The closest thing I could find is that by their 40’s, ppl who decide not to treat their ADHD (or who don’t know they have it but get diagnosed later in life) earn something like $40k less per year than neuro-typical people. That’s the cost of missed promotions, firings, failed exams etc....all of those missed opportunities together. But ultimately the question is, is it worth it to you? And only you can decide that.

lucat wrote: »
    Is it worth getting asssessed? Well I had the same question. When I decided to get assessed it was after thinking about it for 6 months or so. I wanted to know what the cost has been to other ppl, of NOT getting assessed, but I realised that’s actually impossible to quantify. The closest thing I could find is that by their 40’s, ppl who decide not to treat their ADHD (or who don’t know they have it but get diagnosed later in life) earn something like $40k less per year than neuro-typical people. That’s the cost of missed promotions, firings, failed exams etc....all of those missed opportunities together. But ultimately the question is, is it worth it to you? And only you can decide that.

Thanks for the reply, lucat. I don't mind the financial cost so much as the emotional cost. I don't want to be dismissed or the issues I've had and continue to have to be minimised. I suppose I'm really worried about that.

I think you're right about the financial cost of not being assessed. I'm self-employed, and while I get by (not without a huge amount of mental effort to self-organise), I do feel I should have been able to do much much better. You do get this feeling that you have abilities but without the structure or engine to use them properly, if you know what I mean?

What was your experience with being assessed, lucat, if you don't mind me asking? Was it a weight off your mind? Did it give you access to resources to help?

Thanks for the reply, lucat. I don't mind the financial cost so much as the emotional cost. I don't want to be dismissed or the issues I've had and continue to have to be minimised. I suppose I'm really worried about that.

I think you're right about the financial cost of not being assessed. I'm self-employed, and while I get by (not without a huge amount of mental effort to self-organise), I do feel I should have been able to do much much better. You do get this feeling that you have abilities but without the structure or engine to use them properly, if you know what I mean?

What was your experience with being assessed, lucat, if you don't mind me asking? Was it a weight off your mind? Did it give you access to resources to help?

Oh I know yeah, I just meant that was the only thing I came across that actually could be quantified in anyway. Because the emotional aspect is so different for everyone it can't really be measured overall. But I have to admit that when I saw that figure of 40,000 I only realised the terrible impact unmedicated/untreated ADHD can have on your future, at that moment. And it was then I decided I would get assessed. And also I just wasn't happy to choose to be in denial about something I was sure was happening, if that makes sense. Also, I have a right to reach my potential in life, just like anybody. Why should that I allow that right to be taken away because I might have this condition?

So as for my own experience, I was living abroad where the assessment took a bit longer than it does here I believe, because the consultant went into a lot of detail. I even had an ECG. But overall the tests they use to assess you are the same all over the world (as far as I am aware) You have to answer the same long set of questions about your experiences when you were a child etc. no matter where you are getting assessed. So the experience is somewhat similar I'd say. If you do decide to go for it, be prepared to talk about your childhood a lot, especially social problems and problems in school.

Don't worry about being dismissed. I was also a 'high achiever' as in I had a degree and a job I was fairly good at. But I knew deep down that I had achieved none of these things to the best of my ability. I had done my best and worked my hardest but this was never, ever, reflected in the outcome. I had the engine but no tools I suppose!

I think your reaction to getting the diagnosis can be very unexpected. I thought I'd feel relieved. I suppose I did but I also had a bit of an "identity crisis" while I adjusted to this new aspect of myself (which wasn't really new at all!) But then after a couple of weeks I just went on with life and got used to the idea.

I was very open to trying medication because I just was so sick and tired of being bored all day long. The type of agitated boredom we experience is a form of torture, and a neuro-typical person doesn't and can't experience it. I was hopping from task to task because I got so bored so fast (within seconds) and it was just a terrible way to live. The medication got rid of that, and overall it was just a huge improvement in my quality of life. In saying that it's not a fix-all, and there are things other ppl would have learned throughout their childhood like organising skills, that I would have to learn consciously now. But I can work on that when the time is right now without having to do battle with my brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PPN2893

I don't mind the financial cost so much as the emotional cost. I don't want to be dismissed or the issues I've had and continue to have to be minimised. I suppose I'm really worried about that.

This is exactly how I felt. I put off going about a diagnosis for months because of my previous experience with doctors, both medical and psychiatric. I don't know how many times I've heard something along the lines of "Sure, everyone feels like that sometimes". I think a lot of doctors think this phrase will make people feel more normal but it comes across as "Everyone else struggles with that. You're just the only one who's moaning about it".

One of the hardest struggles with getting assessed for anything psychological is building up the courage to not back down.

I will say that even though I've had some road blocks in getting a full assessment, the mental health system here has improved a lot since I first saw a psychiatrist. In 2010-2011 it was like if you weren't a danger to yourself or others they didn't want to know or care. This time around the majority of the doctors I've talked to have been a lot more empathetic.

What pushed me to go for assessment was that I didn't want to feel like I'd wasted another year of my life with the same horrible patterns.

Oh I know yeah, I just meant that was the only thing I came across that actually could be quantified in anyway. Because the emotional aspect is so different for everyone it can't really be measured overall. But I have to admit that when I saw that figure of 40,000 I only realised the terrible impact unmedicated/untreated ADHD can have on your future, at that moment. And it was then I decided I would get assessed. And also I just wasn't happy to choose to be in denial about something I was sure was happening, if that makes sense. Also, I have a right to reach my potential in life, just like anybody. Why should that I allow that right to be taken away because I might have this condition?

Thanks lucat, I like your defiant and positive attitude towards diagnosis. I've so many feelings that I can't express at the minute. I never gave a single thought to ADHD until last week. I don't even know what put it into my head. Like many people, I associated ADHD with hyperactive little boys! But however I started looking into it, once I did, so many things fit. I did fairly well in school, but I always felt like it was despite myself. I was a huge autodidact as a child and read lot and lots and would study encyclopaedias (this was pre-internet) just to learn anything knew on whatever subject I was into at the time. I wasn't disruptive in class in any way, was a shy day-dreamer, but fidgeted a lot, clicking-pens, doodling - small movements. Most people might have described me as the opposite to hyperactive, was frequently described as being so laid-back as to be horizontal (mainly because I was a bit spacey and forgot stuff a lot, gave the impression of not being fussed, I suppose). I could write easily and fluently in exams (probably the enforced timeframe), but teachers would have to chase me for homework essays. Once a primary school teacher chased me for the whole year for an Irish essay. I fudged and ducked and dived and I don't believe he ever got that essay! I was ok at Irish, but sometimes I would get overwhelmed, especially when there was a sense of shame introduced once things were late. I often then couldn't break the project down into smaller steps to take it to completion.

In secondary school, I was known for lateness and scattiness, and turning in work at the very last minute or late. I usually pulled things out of the fire and mostly got As and Bs, mainly due to the out-of-school reading I did for pleasure. In fact I believed I needed the urgency of the deadline to force me into action. Which in retrospect, was fairly accurate. I never studied as such, because I didn't actually know how to. I would sit down and write notes out a book, or go wild with highlighters, and at the end be like, was that study? I couldn't ever remember much of what I "studied" that way. At parent-teacher meetings, my mother was always told that if only I studied in a methodical way and wasn't so laid-back, I'd get all As, and that I was just too lazy to be bothered putting the effort in. But really, that was the very best I could do at the time. I didn't know how to be any different, even though I tried. Sorry if this sounds like humble-bragging, I'm not trying to make out I was star pupil or anything. But I did well enough that nobody though there were any issues or thought I was struggling.

I got a degree eventually and I'm finishing off a masters (with difficulty, but that's another day's work), so i try to remind myself that I'm not totally stupid. Because that's what it feels like most of the time. Why can't I function normally? Why does it take me so long to do things? Why don't I understand time properly? Why can't I hold anything in my short-term memory? The world feels so whirling and confusing sometimes. I'm outgoing and like other people's company, but it's nice to work for myself and not have to deal with strangers or colleagues all day every too. Sorry, this is just badly written waffle and a stream of consciousness but my brain is just very foggy of late. I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make, just trying to get some of the miasma of thought out.

This is exactly how I felt. I put off going about a diagnosis for months because of my previous experience with doctors, both medical and psychiatric. I don't know how many times I've heard something along the lines of "Sure, everyone feels like that sometimes". I think a lot of doctors think this phrase will make people feel more normal but it comes across as "Everyone else struggles with that. You're just the only one who's moaning about it".

Absolutely, I completely get this. I've expressed to family a feeling of being off and something not being quite right, and they say that too. They love me and mean well, but it's not reassuring to hear.
    One of the hardest struggles with getting assessed for anything psychological is building up the courage to not back down.

I will say that even though I've had some road blocks in getting a full assessment, the mental health system here has improved a lot since I first saw a psychiatrist. In 2010-2011 it was like if you weren't a danger to yourself or others they didn't want to know or care. This time around the majority of the doctors I've talked to have been a lot more empathetic.

What pushed me to go for assessment was that I didn't want to feel like I'd wasted another year of my life with the same horrible patterns.

Mental health care seems to be the pits here, that sounds awful to go through. Imagine having arthritis and being denied a diagnosis or treatment because some people have cancer. Glad you've had a better experience more recently.

Yes, wasting time, wasting my life. Swimming in porridge, that's what it feels like. Cold porridge :D

I was very open to trying medication because I just was so sick and tired of being bored all day long. The type of agitated boredom we experience is a form of torture, and a neuro-typical person doesn't and can't experience it. I was hopping from task to task because I got so bored so fast (within seconds) and it was just a terrible way to live. The medication got rid of that, and overall it was just a huge improvement in my quality of life. In saying that it's not a fix-all, and there are things other ppl would have learned throughout their childhood like organising skills, that I would have to learn consciously now. But I can work on that when the time is right now without having to do battle with my brain.

I've just never thought of it as agitated boredom, but you're right. I've lived with it for so long, that it's just the norm. I've stopped even recognising that I do this, the task hopping. I'm terrible at multi-tasking, and I consciously know this, but I'll still try to put on a load of washing, finish a job on the computer, send an email, listen to a podcast and make a quick phone call all at the same time. Invariably I'll totally forget I'd started one of them, only to remember it four hours later.

Thanks lucat, I like your defiant and positive attitude towards diagnosis. I've so many feelings that I can't express at the minute. I never gave a single thought to ADHD until last week. I don't even know what put it into my head. Like many people, I associated ADHD with hyperactive little boys! But however I started looking into it, once I did, so many things fit. I did fairly well in school, but I always felt like it was despite myself. I was a huge autodidact as a child and read lot and lots and would study encyclopaedias (this was pre-internet) just to learn anything knew on whatever subject I was into at the time. I wasn't disruptive in class in any way, was a shy day-dreamer, but fidgeted a lot, clicking-pens, doodling - small movements. Most people might have described me as the opposite to hyperactive, was frequently described as being so laid-back as to be horizontal (mainly because I was a bit spacey and forgot stuff a lot, gave the impression of not being fussed, I suppose). I could write easily and fluently in exams (probably the enforced timeframe), but teachers would have to chase me for homework essays. Once a primary school teacher chased me for the whole year for an Irish essay. I fudged and ducked and dived and I don't believe he ever got that essay! I was ok at Irish, but sometimes I would get overwhelmed, especially when there was a sense of shame introduced once things were late. I often then couldn't break the project down into smaller steps to take it to completion.

In secondary school, I was known for lateness and scattiness, and turning in work at the very last minute or late. I usually pulled things out of the fire and mostly got As and Bs, mainly due to the out-of-school reading I did for pleasure. In fact I believed I needed the urgency of the deadline to force me into action. Which in retrospect, was fairly accurate. I never studied as such, because I didn't actually know how to. I would sit down and write notes out a book, or go wild with highlighters, and at the end be like, was that study? I couldn't ever remember much of what I "studied" that way. At parent-teacher meetings, my mother was always told that if only I studied in a methodical way and wasn't so laid-back, I'd get all As, and that I was just too lazy to be bothered putting the effort in. But really, that was the very best I could do at the time. I didn't know how to be any different, even though I tried. Sorry if this sounds like humble-bragging, I'm not trying to make out I was star pupil or anything. But I did well enough that nobody though there were any issues or thought I was struggling.

I got a degree eventually and I'm finishing off a masters (with difficulty, but that's another day's work), so i try to remind myself that I'm not totally stupid. Because that's what it feels like most of the time. Why can't I function normally? Why does it take me so long to do things? Why don't I understand time properly? Why can't I hold anything in my short-term memory? The world feels so whirling and confusing sometimes. I'm outgoing and like other people's company, but it's nice to work for myself and not have to deal with strangers or colleagues all day every too. Sorry, this is just badly written waffle and a stream of consciousness but my brain is just very foggy of late. I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make, just trying to get some of the miasma of thought out.

Everything you wrote is totally understandable. I think most women with ADHD would identify with what you've written. I know I do. A lot of psychiatrists writing about ADHD today believe that men with ADHD lean more toward hyperactivity and women tend to be more inattentive i.e. space cadets. I spent most of primary and secondary school in imagination land but still managed to pull through and would have been known as a swot.
    I've just never thought of it as agitated boredom, but you're right. I've lived with it for so long, that it's just the norm. I've stopped even recognising that I do this, the task hopping. I'm terrible at multi-tasking, and I consciously know this, but I'll still try to put on a load of washing, finish a job on the computer, send an email, listen to a podcast and make a quick phone call all at the same time. Invariably I'll totally forget I'd started one of them, only to remember it four hours later.

Yeah, it's a regular thing for me to start doing the washing up, go somewhere else to check for plates or glasses, decide to wash some clothes, end up stripping the bed, getting bored and going downstairs and realising what I was doing in the first place. Thank god for those overflow drains or I would have flooded my house ten times over.

• Advertisement

You sound exactly like me! Total daydreamer in school & bookworm at home! The only difference is that I hated timed exams & would always freeze like a deer in the headlights for about half of the time. Still feel a bit like that whenever I have to do one. Incapable of memorizing things word for word- I managed to get through my LC without ever using a quote. Incapable of knowing what to prioritize or how to prioritize things. I remember highlighting my entire biology book! That’s something I still need to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kirrels

Hi All, I’m hoping to look for a diagnosis of ADHD and / or ASD, going privately, in 2019, finally... finances and other things delaying me. I am not working at the moment, have health insurance but it wont cover an assessment of ASD or ADHD. I have been reading through this thread regularly over the last while and I’m unsure of who to seek a diagnosis from. I had googled two of the names suggested. I felt M. Fitzgerald might be the better option for me. I have however read that some feel his session is very brief. I am open to the likelihood that he may be very quick to recognize what he is looking for, due to years of professional practice. But on the other hand I assumed that there would be a standardized series of tests that each of us seeking a diagnosis would have to take. And that this may take several hours or perhaps covered over several days. So have adults diagnosed in Ireland found the testing is thorough?

Kirrels wrote: »
    Hi All, I’m hoping to look for a diagnosis of ADHD and / or ASD, going privately, in 2019, finally... finances and other things delaying me. I am not working at the moment, have health insurance but it wont cover an assessment of ASD or ADHD. I have been reading through this thread regularly over the last while and I’m unsure of who to seek a diagnosis from. I had googled two of the names suggested. I felt M. Fitzgerald might be the better option for me. I have however read that some feel his session is very brief. I am open to the likelihood that he may be very quick to recognize what he is looking for, due to years of professional practice. But on the other hand I assumed that there would be a standardized series of tests that each of us seeking a diagnosis would have to take. And that this may take several hours or perhaps covered over several days. So have adults diagnosed in Ireland found the testing is thorough?

I'm sorry that I can't answer what long form testing is like but I am one of the people who've complained a bit about Dr Fitzgerald. I'm not saying he's unqualified or if he's diagnosing people too quickly for any nefarious means. I'm not trained in psychology so it's not my place to say. I will however discourage anyone from seeking a diagnosis with him. He diagnosed me with ADHD, ASD and Generalised Anxiety Disorder earlier this year. So far the only treatment I've received is a Strattera prescription which did not go well. I only had this prescription filled out because the medication isn't too far removed from an anti-depressant so my GP felt it wasn't "dangerous" to prescribe it.

I'm currently back to square one with a diagnosis. Paying for Dr Fitzgerald's time was a total waste of money for me. Whether people believe it's him at fault or the rest of the medical community's fault for unfairly labelling him, I'm still not getting treatment while being out €350.

I'm just saying this so people learn from my mistake. I will openly admit now that I went private in the hopes that I would get a diagnosis quickly so that I could try medication. I'm about 5 months out of his diagnosis with little to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Just when I was going to remind the college bound to check if their college has OT PPN!! ( I still think any college students should do this, it’s free help, right?!)
    PPN I am sorry to hear you’re not finding OT helpful, have you told her your thoughts? She should be taking your lack of stick-to-it-ness into account in any strategies she's recommending

Lucat, the first line treatment recommendation for adults with ADHD is medication. For many people, use of medication obviously is very helpful, but even with improved focus, people can struggle with poor habits/behaviour developed over a long period of time.

the reason that medication is first choice treatment for adults, is that it is harder for adults to change their behaviour than children (though this may seem counter intuitive). A child can be helped to establish good habits, there may be quite a good routine provided by school and other activities, and with sensory or other helpful treatment, can perform very well. An adult newly diagnosed with ADHD typically does not have any of these supports or structures, and has possibly been chaotic for a long time. that is why medication is recommended first. As you said, if you want to change things you don’t want to have to battle with your brain also.

In my opinion it is easier for people on effective medication to develop some better habits, but that doesn't mean that those who aren't on medication can't. I've worked with both, and seen brilliant success for both, and some really tough times for both. Some people don't want to take meds, can't tolerate them, or have tried them without success. They can still try behavioural stuff, but the problem is, that can be really difficult to implement without consistent support.

If you are trying to improve quality of life/function in relation to reducing fallout from ADHD symptoms i.e. trying to be less chaotic, less impulsive, trying to get more done, when you’re supposed to, trying to finish things, and seeing a counsellor/coach/guru who doesn’t understand ADHD well for help with this, I think it might not be straight forward. If you are trying to help someone change their habits, behaviour and thinking, but ignore (or don’t take into account) that their brain is wired a bit differently, it will be frustrating for both parties!

Russell Barkley says that for behaviour to change, a person with ADHD needs to be “corrected” in the act of being impulsive, or getting distracted. (I am paraphrasing!). I understand why he says this, especially given the above, but from my own observations, I don’t think this is true for every case. I don’t think this is true for most people, but even if it was, obviously that is not realistic!!! Therefore CBT would be the next best thing, I guess. Anyone tried CBT specifically for ADHD here? Like hens teeth in Ireland!

I’ve worked with lots of people with ADHD and telling them to make a list or create a schedule is very basic. Obviously, if they’ve never heard the words “to do list” then they should be introduced to them, but in my experience most people know what they ought to be doing, but as you’ve all pointed out, it’s the completing of the thing that escapes. Some of the people I’ve worked with find reviewing common “events” helpful, like if there is a particular thing that is guaranteed to distract, or a time you are more likely to procrastinate, or if you keep finding yourself in the same annoying situation – phone lost again, charged extra for paying late, electricity turned off multiple times! It is helpful to work on these point by point but also look at the behaviour and thinking that is contributing to these issues.

TLDR
    Honestly, what I find helpful is just trying to change one thing. It is lovely to work with people with ADHD as you all can be real enthusiastic  and what Ive heard time and time again is “I’m going to prep all my meals, I’m going to go to the gym everyday, I’m going to be on time everyday, I’m going to go to sleep every night at 10” etc. Just aim to do one of those things, and make it part of the routine (change your thinking), then when that’s done, take on another one. And so on. In the case of study, aim to do 25 minutes 5 days a week for 2 weeks, then build up from there.

ON a side note: The how to adhd channel on Youtube is pretty good (imho). Take this one here, whatever you think about pomodoro ( I happen to think it’s brilliant!) it’s the way she explains why its helpful, from her own point of view and research. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLkOZhROvA4 Here vids are short too, she knows her audience!

Her Ted Talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiwZQNYlGQI I think it describes well a situation a lot of people have been in

Sorry, meant to say, there's a crowd doing comprehensive assessments for ADHD with a clinical psychologist, over several sessions. €800
    Previous Reports
    Self Report Measure
    Consultation
    Cognitive Assessment
    Parent/Guardian/Relative Consultation
    Feedback

I've no affiliation to them, I just decided I'm not going to recommend Fitzgerald anymore, (see so many mentions above!) so i was looking around for other clinics to refer people to, and these sound good. No psychiatrist at the moment, but hoping to have one after Christmas. This would then be a one stop shop ADHD wise. https://www.theinsightcentre.ie/ Portmarnock, Dublin

If anyone does head here, please let us know!

Feu wrote: »
    Sorry, meant to say, there's a crowd doing comprehensive assessments for ADHD with a clinical psychologist, over several sessions. €800
    Previous Reports
    Self Report Measure
    Consultation
    Cognitive Assessment
    Feedback

I've no affiliation to them, I just decided I'm not going to recommend Fitzgerald anymore, (see so many mentions above!) so i was looking around for other clinics to refer people to, and these sound good. No psychiatrist at the moment, but hoping to have one after Christmas. This would then be a one stop shop ADHD wise. https://www.theinsightcentre.ie/ Portmarnock, Dublin

I'm definitely going to give these guys a ring/email. I had a major panic spiral last night (as a side note, this distraction caused me to fall on a treadmill because I wasn't paying attention!). It think we all know this scenario. Have project deadline on Friday. Would take maybe 10 hours of work in total. I keep putting it off and the panic gets worse and worse but I seem to be unable to sit down and work on it. It's only worth 5% of my overall grade but I'm treating it like it's a life ending failure if I don't do well. Definitely need help sooner rather than later.

Gonna give them a call and ask them some questions. €800 is a bit steep for me but I could make it work if it lead to some progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kirrels

Thanks for the response. I can see that a fast assessment by Fitzgerald or any other professional could make us feel dissapointed, ripped off, dissilusiined....dismissed. Especially as we as individual undiagnosed adults here are isolated and desperate to open a dialogue with a professional. I would like the objective, matter of fact-ness of a standard clinical assessment, and also hopefully an Atmosphere that facilitates a considerate approach from the person assessing me. A follow up ‘how do you feel about this?’ Is crucial. I am fine with them reading me, upon meeting me, from their years (hopefully) of experience, but I would appreciate them testing me. I am pretty sure I am ADHD, and ASD.

Ps. I just looked up the insight centre. They offer a General Clinical Psychology Assessment for 800
    An Adult Autism Assessment for 500. Multidisciplinary Autism Assessment For 950. It woukd a long while before I can afford that. I expected costs would be high. Unfortunately many of us needing assessments can tend to be either under employed or not employed and this prolongs the process for us. Still.... I will keep planning.

Yeah, it's a regular thing for me to start doing the washing up, go somewhere else to check for plates or glasses, decide to wash some clothes, end up stripping the bed, getting bored and going downstairs and realising what I was doing in the first place. Thank god for those overflow drains or I would have flooded my house ten times over.

I'm a big fan of stripping the bed, then just forgetting that it needs new sheets until I'm about to get into bed that night :rolleyes:
    I try to keep saying to myself, "don't start a job unless you can finish it", mostly regarding simple housework things like folding clothes or putting on a wash. I try to have a plan to put the folded clothes away in their place straight away; or somewhere appropriate to dry those washed clothes (the line if it's not raining, the dryer if they can handle going in the dryer). This sounds so remedial but I don't naturally automatically consider these things in advance.
    You sound exactly like me! Total daydreamer in school & bookworm at home! The only difference is that I hated timed exams & would always freeze like a deer in the headlights for about half of the time.

I sort of found the enforced timeframe of an exam triggered my "f.uck it" response. :P Perfectionism is a problem for me, not that it ever results in anything remotely approaching perfection. In fact, it mostly results in very little unfortunately. But the "f.uck it" response is precious, allows me to throw off perfectionism for a short while and just focus and be in the moment, no crippling self-editing or self-criticism. My brain seems to work really quickly in this zone and can sort material and arguments quite well. It's the perfect mode for a decent first draft when you're writing, but I rarely manage it outside an exam situation (which I haven't been in in years). I can imagine how the exam environment can cause paralysis too though. It only takes a little to tip from healthy activity into overwhelmed inactivity.
    Incapable of knowing what to prioritize or how to prioritize things. I remember highlighting my entire biology book! That’s something I still need to work on.

:D I know them feels! "This is important, of course. And also this. And this. And this. And that. And all these words." HOW CAN I TAKE THE RISK THAT SOME OF THIS IS SUPERFLUOUS!?! HIGHLIGHT ALL THE THINGS!11!!

Thanks for that, Feu. I've been in contact and the €800 fee is potentially partially covered by health insurance and they will also do staged payments. Any diagnosis would have to be signed off (if that's the correct phrase) by a psychiatrist, who they would then refer you to. I haven't heard which psychiatrist(s) they would refer to, but there was no mention of potentially having one on staff at a later stage. So you'd probably have to add a fee for that appointment to their fee. My question was what would this initial assessment offer you that the psychiatric appointment alone wouldn't offer?

From reading the experiences of other people in the thread Dr Fitzgerald's super-speedy assessments are not attractive to me. As Kirrels said above, opening a dialogue with a professional is a goal. Do other psychiatrists do methodical, detailed assessments? And who are the other psychiatrists?

From reading the experiences of other people in the thread Dr Fitzgerald's super-speedy assessments are not attractive to me. As Kirrels said above, opening a dialogue with a professional is a goal. Do other psychiatrists do methodical, detailed assessments? And who are the other psychiatrists?

I can't give an exact answer to your question but from what I've gathered from this whole process is that usually a consultant psychologist will do all the long tests and will sign off on a diagnosis. However, it seems to be up to a psychiatrist sign off on treatment (i.e. medication) or recommend any other support that might be needed. Usually a psychiatrist will take your history and takes more of a personal approach.

I'd be a bit suspicious if they don't have a psychiatrist on staff/referral, though. I have heard of someone being diagnosed through a clinic in Blackrock (could be on here or on reddit) so they at least have had some success. I forgot to give them a ring but if I get around to it in the next couple of days I'm going to ask if they are approved by, or linked to, the HSE and all that jazz. I'm taking the once bitten, twice shy approach to paying from a private assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 like

Fastest probably Dr Stephanie Bourke, Blackrock Clinic, Dublin. Maybe 6-10 week wait time. Initial Assessment €300 (or 350 ?), follow on €160. I was diagnosed this year initially by Prof Fitzgerald and separately later by Dr Bourke.

For anyone wondering, the correct medication and the correct dose if they work (and they do in most cases) is life changing. Check out https://www.additudemag.com/ for very good information and articles by Dr William Dodson and Dr Barkley and Dr Hallowell.

Every research paper lately suggests that medication is the first line defence (generally stimulants - methylphenidate or amphetamine, non stimulant strattera after this), see MTA study - one of the biggest - https://www.nimh.nih.gov/funding/clinical-research/practical/mta/the-multimodal-treatment-of-attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-study-mta-questions-and-answers.shtml

and (be careful with dose, some people's therapeutic dose is under the general minimum or starting dose so start off at minimum or even under the minimum)

• Advertisement

like wrote: »
    Fastest probably Dr Stephanie Bourke, Blackrock Clinic, Dublin. Maybe 6-10 week wait time. Initial Assessment €300 (or 350 ?), follow on €160. I was diagnosed this year initially by Prof Fitzgerald and separately later by Dr Bourke.

Thanks like. How did you find Dr Bourke? I googled her and found mixed comments about her. Not sure how seriously to take them, but it does make me a little wary, as I'm nervous of the idea of an assessment anyway.

For anyone wondering, the correct medication and the correct dose if they work (and they do in most cases) is life changing. Check out https://www.additudemag.com/ for very good information and articles by Dr William Dodson and Dr Barkley and Dr Hallowell.

Every research paper lately suggests that medication is the first line defence (generally stimulants - methylphenidate or amphetamine, non stimulant strattera after this), see MTA study - one of the biggest - https://www.nimh.nih.gov/funding/clinical-research/practical/mta/the-multimodal-treatment-of-attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-study-mta-questions-and-answers.shtml

and (be careful with dose, some people's therapeutic dose is under the general minimum or starting dose so start off at minimum or even under the minimum)

That's great to hear. If you get the chance I'm wondering how you found Dr. Bourke? I went to Dr Fitzgerald earlier this year and it hasn't really resulted in much. I'm currently back on a HSE waiting list as my docs weren't a fan of Dr. Fitzgerald. Would be interested in what kind of tests she does and what historical proof was required (i.e. bringing someone along or school reports etc.) Basically just what the whole experience was like.

Kirrels wrote: »
    Especially as we as individual undiagnosed adults here are isolated and desperate to open a dialogue with a professional. I would like the objective, matter of fact-ness of a standard clinical assessment, and also hopefully an Atmosphere that facilitates a considerate approach from the person assessing me. A follow up ‘how do you feel about this?’ Is crucial. I am fine with them reading me, upon meeting me, from their years (hopefully) of experience, but I would appreciate them testing me. I am pretty sure I am ADHD, and ASD.

Based on this point of view, I would not recommend Fitzgerald for you Kirrels. It is not... these things.

From reading the experiences of other people in the thread Dr Fitzgerald's super-speedy assessments are not attractive to me. As Kirrels said above, opening a dialogue with a professional is a goal.
    See above

Lucat, the first line treatment recommendation for adults with ADHD is medication. For many people, use of medication obviously is very helpful, but even with improved focus, people can struggle with poor habits/behaviour developed over a long period of time.

the reason that medication is first choice treatment for adults, is that it is harder for adults to change their behaviour than children (though this may seem counter intuitive). A child can be helped to establish good habits, there may be quite a good routine provided by school and other activities, and with sensory or other helpful treatment, can perform very well. An adult newly diagnosed with ADHD typically does not have any of these supports or structures, and has possibly been chaotic for a long time. that is why medication is recommended first. As you said, if you want to change things you don’t want to have to battle with your brain also.

In my opinion it is easier for people on effective medication to develop some better habits, but that doesn't mean that those who aren't on medication can't. I've worked with both, and seen brilliant success for both, and some really tough times for both. Some people don't want to take meds, can't tolerate them, or have tried them without success. They can still try behavioural stuff, but the problem is, that can be really difficult to implement without consistent support.

Russell Barkley says that for behaviour to change, a person with ADHD needs to be “corrected” in the act of being impulsive, or getting distracted. (I am paraphrasing!). I understand why he says this, especially given the above, but from my own observations, I don’t think this is true for every case. I don’t think this is true for most people, but even if it was, obviously that is not realistic!!! Therefore CBT would be the next best thing, I guess. Anyone tried CBT specifically for ADHD here? Like hens teeth in Ireland!

Thanks for that, Feu. I've been in contact and the €800 fee is potentially partially covered by health insurance and they will also do staged payments. Any diagnosis would have to be signed off (if that's the correct phrase) by a psychiatrist, who they would then refer you to. I haven't heard which psychiatrist(s) they would refer to, but there was no mention of potentially having one on staff at a later stage. So you'd probably have to add a fee for that appointment to their fee. My question was what would this initial assessment offer you that the psychiatric appointment alone wouldn't offer?

Do other psychiatrists do methodical, detailed assessments? And who are the other psychiatrists?

Dr Stephanie bourke in Blackrock Clinic is taking people, but waiting list at least 4 months.

Dr Fitzgerald is still working at least part time, read previous posts for people's experiences. Wait not normally too bad, maybe 6 weeks

Dr Romanos/Dr Murtagh team in St John of Gods Private Hospital - wait at least a year

SPUH/Dean clinic are not taking anyone at the moment, with primarily ADHD, even with an existing diagnosis. I'm not sure about if there are multiple conditions.

(sorry i'm not sure for outside dublin)

The above all psychiatrist led teams. Dr Romanos is amazing! I have personal experience of working with her, and imho she is one of the best in the country, and i've worked with a lot of psychiatrists.

The benefits of going to a psychiatrist (who knows their stuff) is their deep understanding of the neuroscience of symptoms and medications and interactions with the dopaminergic system. They can assess (with varying levels of detail) and prescribe stimulant medication. However, positive experiences for people with ADHD interacting with any health professionals are thin on this board! As has been mentioned, psychiatrists (like many professionals) can also be biased, slap dash, and cursory, and not listen properly to what you say, making for an unsatisfactory experience, and even a damaging one.

insight centre - clinical psychology
    This is less likely to be the case when working with a clinical psychologist, who can also assess and make a diagnosis, but who cannot prescribe medication. A psychological assessment should include the following
    Analysis of previous Reports
    Self Report Measure
    Consultation
    Cognitive Assessment
    Feedback
    And should take place over 2-4 sessions, which obviously provides more time to observe and interact with you, but for you to interact with them too, and ask questions.

hope this is clear! a sticky for this info would be helpful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cannex

That's great to hear. If you get the chance I'm wondering how you found Dr. Bourke? I went to Dr Fitzgerald earlier this year and it hasn't really resulted in much. I'm currently back on a HSE waiting list as my docs weren't a fan of Dr. Fitzgerald. Would be interested in what kind of tests she does and what historical proof was required (i.e. bringing someone along or school reports etc.) Basically just what the whole experience was like.

The waiting list amounts to zilch. I used MyMind and got CBT

Medication was prescribed by both specialists and my GP now prints my monthly prescription. There are no services for adults with ADHD. A diagnosis made by an expert, who has seen thousands of people over the years has diagnosed me. I agree with his diagnosis, as did another expert after him. HSE has no interest, and no inclination to treat adult adhd right now - I'm aware this is in the process of changing.

What I'm saying is once you get a diagnosis, you can be prescribed medication by Fitzgerald and GP writes the script. etc etc
    Accessing therapies are still up to you to source - and its hard. Thats why this thread exists. So others can be informed on how to access treatment in Ireland. (private and subsidised, or college too)

cannex wrote: »
    The waiting list amounts to zilch. I used MyMind and got CBT

Medication was prescribed by both specialists and my GP now prints my monthly prescription. There are no services for adults with ADHD. A diagnosis made by an expert, who has seen thousands of people over the years has diagnosed me. I agree with his diagnosis, as did another expert after him. HSE has no interest, and no inclination to treat adult adhd right now - I'm aware this is in the process of changing.

What I'm saying is once you get a diagnosis, you can be prescribed medication by Fitzgerald and GP writes the script. etc etc
    Accessing therapies are still up to you to source - and its hard. Thats why this thread exists. So others can be informed on how to access treatment in Ireland. (private and subsidised, or college too)

Yeah, my GP wouldn't write the script for Ritalin. At least the HSE are working with me in terms of occupational therapy though. I was given a script by Dr Fitzgerald for Strattera but I found the side effects too unbearable with no improvement in my symptoms. I have a copy of the letter he sent my GP which recommends Ritalin as a second choice that has the details for dosages etc. I'm tempted at this stage to visit a different GP, even paying privately, to see if they would prescribed it. I think this might be the better option right now as I don't want to pay for another private assessment (and frankly I don't want to lose another day travelling half way around the country) if my regular GP won't acknowledge it. I'm just curious if Ritalin would be of any benefit to me. If it doesn't help, it'll suck but I can live with it. I just don't like having it just out of arms reach when I have the go ahead.

Yeah, my GP wouldn't write the script for Ritalin. At least the HSE are working with me in terms of occupational therapy though. I was given a script by Dr Fitzgerald for Strattera but I found the side effects too unbearable with no improvement in my symptoms. I have a copy of the letter he sent my GP which recommends Ritalin as a second choice that has the details for dosages etc. I'm tempted at this stage to visit a different GP, even paying privately, to see if they would prescribed it. I think this might be the better option right now as I don't want to pay for another private assessment (and frankly I don't want to lose another day travelling half way around the country) if my regular GP won't acknowledge it. I'm just curious if Ritalin would be of any benefit to me. If it doesn't help, it'll suck but I can live with it. I just don't like having it just out of arms reach when I have the go ahead.

If you contact Fitzgerald by phone/email he should update the script for you

The doctor refusing to write the script is completely unacceptable.
    You are entitled to be prescribed this medication.
    I take Ritalin LA - LA means long acting - this medication, along with Concerta works over 8 hours or so. Is you GP afraid to write the script for the short acting ritalin possibly? Which has potential for abuse.....

If it is just ignorance, well either you formally request, in writing, to be transfered to a different GP in that practice, stating that you are not being given the treatment you are entitled to - your choice as a patient and a specialist has prescribed this - no getting around this.

If you have a GP in his/her own practice then I suggest you transfer to a young, modern medical clinic that has a few GPs, who have more recent training.

Time to get pissed off!! You are entitled to the medication that can change your life!

You have have to spend a lot of time as an adhder being righteously angry :)

I was prescribed Strattera first too. I couldnt deal with the side effects either.
    I contacted him again and requested that I try another type.
    I was then given Concerta. This didnt agree with me either.
    I was then prescribed Ritalin La and this is like the cobwebs and broken signals that flitter around my brain connect and make sense.

Over time, taking meds reguarily, all the things that were chaotic start to settle down, as the good decisions you make daily, over time, start to show in your life. I can study, go to college, keep a tidy home!!!!!

Good Luck, you've come so far already by seeking out a specialist and getting a diagnosis. That was the first hurdle, now your fighting for your life!

If you contact Fitzgerald by phone/email he should update the script for you

That's good to hear. I was afraid that he'd want me to come back to see him for another script and it's a pain to travel from Waterford to Blanchardstown.
    cannex wrote: »
    The doctor refusing to write the script is completely unacceptable.
    You are entitled to be prescribed this medication.
    I take Ritalin LA - LA means long acting - this medication, along with Concerta works over 8 hours or so. Is you GP afraid to write the script for the short acting ritalin possibly? Which has potential for abuse.....

If it is just ignorance, well either you formally request, in writing, to be transfered to a different GP in that practice, stating that you are not being given the treatment you are entitled to - your choice as a patient and a specialist has prescribed this - no getting around this.

If you have a GP in his/her own practice then I suggest you transfer to a young, modern medical clinic that has a few GPs, who have more recent training.

Time to get pissed off!! You are entitled to the medication that can change your life!

You have have to spend a lot of time as an adhder being righteously angry :)

I was prescribed Strattera first too. I couldnt deal with the side effects either.
    I contacted him again and requested that I try another type.
    I was then given Concerta. This didnt agree with me either.
    I was then prescribed Ritalin La and this is like the cobwebs and broken signals that flitter around my brain connect and make sense.

Over time, taking meds reguarily, all the things that were chaotic start to settle down, as the good decisions you make daily, over time, start to show in your life. I can study, go to college, keep a tidy home!!!!!

Good Luck, you've come so far already by seeking out a specialist and getting a diagnosis. That was the first hurdle, now your fighting for your life!

There shouldn't be any problem with the Ritalin. His letter states it's LA starting at 20 mg increasing to 40 mg over time.

Unfortunately for the other stuff, my GP is fairly young and is in a semi-modern practice. Started seeing him because he was surprisingly down to earth and I was taken aback when he wouldn't write the script. There are other GPs on the system there that I could try but most are those auld fella types. The ones that look like they're sick of dealing with the peasantry complaining. I'm going to college at the moment so I might chance seeing one of the college doctors or there's a more student friendly GP practice nearby that has a slightly more modern feel to it.

That's good to hear. I was afraid that he'd want me to come back to see him for another script and it's a pain to travel from Waterford to Blanchardstown.

There shouldn't be any problem with the Ritalin. His letter states it's LA starting at 20 mg increasing to 40 mg over time.

Unfortunately for the other stuff, my GP is fairly young and is in a semi-modern practice. Started seeing him because he was surprisingly down to earth and I was taken aback when he wouldn't write the script. There are other GPs on the system there that I could try but most are those auld fella types. The ones that look like they're sick of dealing with the peasantry complaining. I'm going to college at the moment so I might chance seeing one of the college doctors or there's a more student friendly GP practice nearby that has a slightly more modern feel to it.

Yes we have an in!
    Absolutely please make appointment with the college GP. This directly effects your education and that is the remit for university gp practices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Orionis

Did your GP give a reason for why he wasn't happy to prescribe it?

Though in fairness to the GP, these medications are supposed to be initiated and titrated by a specialist. A GP is only really meant to be prescribing once them your established on a stable dosage that is working for you without problems.

Advertisement