Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult ADHD Advice

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Welcome and best of luck! What's your experience been with your GP on other matters? Might be helpful to bring along a few points as to how you think you might the criteria/examples of how it's affecting your life. Some GPs great, some very sceptical.The people I've spoken to who have come though the pathway have found it really good, and I know some the clinicians who are very knowlegeable and affirmative. If the clinical pathway is open in your area, it will still be a long wait, as there is about 300,000 to 600,000 catchment area per team of 4 clinicians.

You are absolutely right to go to GP first, but you might consider going private if you find the wait is very long. Going to the GP is the only way we can register the demand for services, so everyone should do it in the first instance.

Again good luck! There's some great advice on this thread from people who've been through the process :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ADHD and Me

Thanks for the welcome

I've always had a great experience with my GP from giving up smoking to referrals to different consultants on unrelated matters.

I'm also lucky enough that she has had training in Psychiatry so I feel comfortable discussing mental health with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tittybiscuits

Strange one. i cancelled my appointment as I was between jobs and couldn't afford it at the time, starting a new job in a few weeks so was looking to get back in contact with him. There is a psychologist very close to me who offered a place but Dr. Dujmovic got in contact first and my doctor said to choose the first offer as waiting times were so long. Maybe I should contact the other psychologist again, she's a 5 minute walk from my house and she saw my nephew when he was getting his autism diagnosis. I heard psychologists can't prescribe medication but that doesn't bother me, I've had addiction issues in the past.

Thanks for the info you posted! Be interesting to know if anyone here as experience with him too

It's true that a psychologist can not prescribe medication, only a psychiatrist can.

I'm unsure if a GP can prescribe medication based on a psychologists report.

I would think a GP would refer people to the psychiatrist if medication is required.

I feel that people most likely think my behaviour is part of my personality when I know deep inside its not. I tend to notice after the fact unfortunately 😕.

• Advertisement

Vast majority of GPs will not prescribe based on assessment by psychologist. They may take over prescription from psychiatrist once working dose has been established, but may not. I've seen every permutation. I've seen a GP stop prescribing ritalin to a 19 year old, as "you've been on that for two years, that's enough, and it's not fit adults anyway" etc. One of the most stigmatised and misunderstood conditions and THE MOST misundestood and stigmatised medications

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

55 YO here, so don't be worried about leaving it too late!

Has anyone here attended The Psychology Collective?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Had my assessment two days ago with Dr. Murtagh. It was a two year wait, but worth it. Lovely man.

Confirmed combined type at the age of 43. Bit weird, trying to process it, truth be told. It's a hard thing to not look back at the past and think how life could have been different had I known.

He has to check in with my cardiologist about treatment, but I'm hoping non stim meds will work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Hi All

I'm going to spend some time reading through this whole thread when I can, but I wonder if I could ask a question first?

My son was diagnosed with autism two years ago, and during the course of my own research into neurodiversity, I watched a talk online which leads me to strongly suspect that I have ADD - Inattentive. I never thought I was neurodiverse, but I had always been looking at it through the prism of autism (which I don't think I have) and ADHD, specifically the hyperactive type. It's only recently I come to realise that you don't have to be physically hyperactive to have ADD, and that it presents differently in women compared to men.

I went to speak to my GP this morning, to see if he would refer me for an assessment. He basically laughed in my face, told me there was nothing wrong with me, and I was just a bit forgetful, and would just need to work harder to concentrate. He asked me about work, and I said that I am paralysed starting any task - even one that I know how to do. It's only with a deadline looming that I can focus. He said that if I can focus at all, I can't have ADD.

Its very disheartening (not to mention a waste of €70). He's been my GP for 30 years, and I've always found him great. But clearly he hasn't a clue on this one.

Does anyone know of a GP in South Dublin (preferably Dublin 1, 2, 4, 6/6W, 14, 18? Although really I'll go anywhere) who has some knowledge of ADD in adults?

• Advertisement

Hi all, hope everyone had a good Christmas and enjoying the weird limbo days between Xmas and New year's!

I was wondering has anyone here gone to an ADHD coach, and if they have, how much is it a session? I never understand why people can't be upfront on the web about their fees. I looked at all the coaches listed on the ADHD Ireland website, and none of them have their fees listed.

I was looking into becoming an ADHD coach myself, as it would suit me and my temperament I think,but the basic cert is over $6,000! (There's no Irish courses I can see, we are very far behind America.)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Prescribed Tyvense for adult ADHD I took the first one an hour ago. No effects yet anyway. I hope they can help with my general organisation and motivation as I intend to apply for a 4 year course tomorrow through the CAO.

Has anyone else has started this medication and returned to education on here?

Ya I had three appoinments with a psychologist and one with a psychiatrist. Pyschiatrist prescribed me the meds last friday and I have them today. The pharmacy had to order them last friday as theres a shortage at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

For anyone taking stimulant medication, can I ask what the effects have been? Have they helped you much?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I'm on a very low dose of ritalin, it helps. Anything higher than the lowest dose caused me crippling anxiety so I can't take higher.

Higher doses lasted much longer, the extended release low dose I'm on only lasts for about 3 hours, topped up by an instant release, even lower dose in the afternoon.

It's helped enough that I can do my job (on a computer all day) without getting up and down and getting totally distracted every 5 minutes. I don't forget half of my tasks anymore. I can focus for longer periods of time. When I'm distracted, I can get back to what I was doing without going blank mentally.

No side effects, not even a decrease in appetite (which I'm somewhat gutted about haha). Works for me, although I'm now attempting to see how I get on coming off of it because I never wanted to be on meds long term and it's been about 9 months now.

I was on Ritalin for a month. I had to give up coffee, which sucked, and I was really dehydrated without realising it.

(I got drunk really quickly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭lucalux

What was the reason for giving up coffee, do you mind my asking?

The meds interact with caffeine and cause side effects like I'm finding out tonight, i can't sleep.

i know everyone's different with how the meds/caffeine affect them, sorry you couldn't sleep.

I just wondered if it was something the doctor recommended to give up or that

Am on Ritalin IR and still drink a lot of coffee, don't notice any effects with sleep or that.

Maybe some anxiety late afternoon/early evening if I've not eaten properly and meds are wearing off but that's par for the course for me, even before Ritalin

I have heart issues, and the coffee gave me palpitations

• Advertisement

Thanks, I only got an ECG for the first time last week, having been on Ritalin IR for over 18months, not sure did they forget to send me for it or what!

Seems to be ok at any rate, not seeing huge effects from it, playing around with dosage and timings still.

I'll probably ask to try Tyvense/Vyvanse before too long. It might suit me better with an IR prescribed if needed in late afternoon/early evening.

Always feel like I'm being treated like an addict when requesting titration to a higher dose though, suppose I just have to try

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Strawberrybeds

??

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Questions about medication for ADHD:

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a lot.

What is the story with medication for ADHD after you have been diagnosed? How often do you need to go back to the psychiatrist? Can a GP not simply handle renewing or changing the medication? I just want to get a better of any potential additional charges as money is tight.

Does this apply in all cases or only if you are seeking a different medication/dosage?

I would appreciate any assistance. I am struggling to understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Psychiatrist has to prescribe.

A GP can agree to take on the prescription once a dose is settled upon.

I'm unsure if GPs can change doses, but in my experience they can't as it's a controlled substance.

GPs can refuse to take on prescription renewal, mine did.

Usually monthly prescriptions until you've settled on a dose comfortably. I was 5 months on one dose before my psychiatrist switched me to 3 monthly prescriptions and once yearly check ups. 6 monthly cardiovascular exams with the GP too.

exactly as PmMe said. Often a private psychiatrist will want a referral from a GP for this reason, i.e. to ensure that they are aware of the assessment and will continue prescription. Not all GPs do, so worth having a discussion with them on this, before heading to psychiatrist

I would advise anyone already taking medication or looking at getting assessed to enrol in the drugs payment scheme if you are not already. This used to automatic, but now you have to sign up to it (another barrier to ADHDers!), which is a straightforward process, but another bit of life admin to do. Everyone is entitled, but you have to register for it. This caps a household or couple or individuals medication expenses at €80 for prescribed medication, so can potential be a huge saving as ADHD meds can cost from 40 to 100 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Timing belt

A GP can change prescription if it’s specified in handover report.

Advertisement